Guest vertigoGo

• Replies 91
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Could write a manuscript on the subject, but best keep it short.

Vinyl feel and aesthetics -

Vinyl is better to work with and feels better to touch.

Easier to find a vinyl in a record box by looking for a label or a sleeve, than having to search through every track on every cd.

Tradition

Proves that you a proper collector rather than someone who'd rather download and make Cds to cut costs.

Keeps an air of originality and exclusivity about the scene and the collectors.

Harder to find and gives you more of a buzz when you find the track you've been looking for for years.

Anyone and his dog can download a cd or a bunch of MP3s, but only TRUE collectors opts for the vinyl option, and not just because they can afford it, but because it is the best format. I will save for months to buy that special record.

Not right that a "DJ" can earn a wage when all they've done is sit at a computer downloading tracks to play. Rather than having collected vinyl for years, or at least made an effort to buy vinyl. In my opinion there should be 2 wage structures, more for a vinyl DJ, and less for a CD DJ.

Vinyl vs CD sound

Vinyl sounds better, warmer and more true to the original recording.

CDs & MP3s sound too digital and can easily be recognised apart.

MP3 is a compressed format, whereas to compress the file to small enough file to download, takes out the frequencies that it is said "you don't hear"? This is rubbish otherwise you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two when listening.

My opinion anyway

I'm sure you'll all agree LOL (NOT)

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

For me it's a also about a connection with the original artists; holding an original single, pressed in 1965 or something, that was played then, held then, cared about then, makes it more important to me than a track on a cd.

Especially the rare stuff, especially the records where a guy cut a tune hoping and dreaming to be able to get out of the car plant, but the 500 copies didn't go anywhere, so he went back to his day job - those are the ones where seeing an old copy of the record, holding it and sliding it into a collection gives me goose bumps.

I know I'm a sentimental romantic...wanker.gif but there you are

And they sound better too....

Social source share

Could write a manuscript on the subject, but best keep it short.

Vinyl feel and aesthetics -

Vinyl is better to work with and feels better to touch.

Easier to find a vinyl in a record box by looking for a label or a sleeve, than having to search through every track on every cd.

Tradition

Proves that you a proper collector rather than someone who'd rather download and make Cds to cut costs.

Keeps an air of originality and exclusivity about the scene and the collectors.

Harder to find and gives you more of a buzz when you find the track you've been looking for for years.

Anyone and his dog can download a cd or a bunch of MP3s, but only TRUE collectors opts for the vinyl option, and not just because they can afford it, but because it is the best format. I will save for months to buy that special record.

Not right that a "DJ" can earn a wage when all they've done is sit at a computer downloading tracks to play. Rather than having collected vinyl for years, or at least made an effort to buy vinyl. In my opinion there should be 2 wage structures, more for a vinyl DJ, and less for a CD DJ.

Vinyl vs CD sound

Vinyl sounds better, warmer and more true to the original recording.

CDs & MP3s sound too digital and can easily be recognised apart.

MP3 is a compressed format, whereas to compress the file to small enough file to download, takes out the frequencies that it is said "you don't hear"? This is rubbish otherwise you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two when listening.

My opinion anyway

I'm sure you'll all agree LOL (NOT)

lets make that 3 wage structures, a third for those who play bootlegs

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

For me it's a also about a connection with the original artists; holding an original single, pressed in 1965 or something, that was played then, held then, cared about then, makes it more important to me than a track on a cd.

Especially the rare stuff, especially the records where a guy cut a tune hoping and dreaming to be able to get out of the car plant, but the 500 copies didn't go anywhere, so he went back to his day job - those are the ones where seeing an old copy of the record, holding it and sliding it into a collection gives me goose bumps.

I know I'm a sentimental romantic...wanker.gif but there you are

And they sound better too....

I'm with you there. It is how the original recording was presented to the public. Like you say, especially for the small local labels which were hawked about in just a few miles radius in the boot of a car for sales, local radio DJs palms greased for some local play hoping to be picked up by a major.

I can see the benefits of both vinyl and CD for different folks. For the same amount of money spent on vinyl one could have thousands of CD tracks for listening to at home or in the car and are convenient for that. I think it comes down to the collector versus listener mentality and is the same in the world of books. One can spend hundreds of hours and pounds searching for a first edition book or have the 50p paperback to read in bed plus a couple of hundred others to read for the same money.

As well as easy listening (drop a CD into a player and leave it) one of the benefits of CDs is the unissued tracks which are often on CD especially the artist or label specific CDs.

Some CDs are hard to find and I can appreciate the joy of someone searching for and eventually finding a CD they require.

Whatever suits the individuals pocket and amount of disposable income they can afford to spend. Horses for courses really.

For me though there is nothing like holding an original piece of vinyl. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Its a soul thing you wouldnt understand..........

Its about playing from the original format, be that vinyl, CD, mp3 or what ever............its just the way it should be, its the 'Real Deal'. In a lot of cases DJ's have spent many, many hours, day's & years tracking down these sometimes very elusive sounds & to me at least, playing from a CD a disc that was previously released in its original format on vinyl, shall we say, is cheating.........we all know the ethics of the scene, if you wanna DJ do it right & use OVO or the original released format. I find the discussion on this subject to be quite offensive, not this thread particularly, but just generally, I cant imagine why anyone on this scene cant understand this.............play off what you like at home or in the car etc, but if you DJ do it right, CD DJ's have no credibility on this scene (if said track was originally available on original vinyl.

Ok, here we go, stand by for the dancers dont know or care blah, blah, blah......etc,etc,etc............not OVO dont bother.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Its about playing from the original format, be that vinyl, CD, mp3 or what ever............its just the way it should be, its the 'Real Deal'. In a lot of cases DJ's have spent many, many hours, day's & years tracking down these sometimes very elusive sounds & to me at least, playing from a CD a disc that was previously released in its original format on vinyl, shall we say, is cheating.........we all know the ethics of the scene, if you wanna DJ do it right & use OVO or the original released format. I find the discussion on this subject to be quite offensive, not this thread particularly, but just generally, I cant imagine why anyone on this scene cant understand this.............play off what you like at home or in the car etc, but if you DJ do it right, CD DJ's have no credibility on this scene (if said track was originally available on original vinyl.

Ok, here we go, stand by for the dancers dont know or care blah, blah, blah......etc,etc,etc............not OVO dont bother.

Russ

Spot on Russ. Like you i can't be arsed to argue with the 'any format will do' mob any more either, it's been discussed on here so many times. At the end of the day they either get it or they don't.

Social source share

Spot on Russ. Like you i can't be arsed to argue with the 'any format will do' mob any more either, it's been discussed on here so many times. At the end of the day they either get it or they don't.

Agreed, I hope you're all supporting OVO djs and events this weekend. whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

the way the reccesion is in the states.....you could probably get the original singers/groups to sing at nighters.....would be a lot cheaper than the vinylthumbup.gif

Social source share

Agreed, I hope you're all supporting OVO djs and events this weekend. whistling.gif

Hope I'm not missing the point here, but why wouldnt we, I actually personally know a promoter, who albeit politely removed a DJ from the decks for playing from a carver, thier was no fuss, most people present would not have known, there was no nastyness, but said person has never DJ'd again at the venue, promoter had speciically made the policy clear. I wouldnt attend a venue or support a DJ who didnt do this, but its all kinda weird that we're having this discussion again really, we all know the crack.

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I agree vinyl is the original way and it should be when DJing as i feel it's nice to search for what you want and when you find it great.

but can i say if i saw a record (only on cd) and i wanted it for playing as a DJ f*** what anyone says but i might get it carved and play it if they don't like it they can deal with it cause i would say it's unreleased and deserves plays

as for CD's i very much love to own CD's for playing at home on my computer and it be like if your a radio DJ wanting to do a soul show i could play loads of the CD's and less of the vinyl

I also like to add tracks to an IPod so when i go out i can listen to the music. That's my take it, i DJ with vinyl and listen with CD's and MP3's and very little vinyl (unless i don't have tracks on cd)

Social source share

I've got all the formats mentioned, so whats the take on if I record my vinyl onto a hard drive, and then either burn a cd to play, or use it straight from the laptop with a "virtual dj" player, am I commiting blasphemy?

Most folk that I know, and that includes the most credible northern jocks, with vinyl valued at thousands, (me included) use cd.

Are we all about to be hung, drawn and quartered?

Social source share

I've got all the formats mentioned, so whats the take on if I record my vinyl onto a hard drive, and then either burn a cd to play, or use it straight from the laptop with a "virtual dj" player, am I commiting blasphemy?

Most folk that I know, and that includes the most credible northern jocks, with vinyl valued at thousands, (me included) use cd.

if you got vinyl worth 1000s then why dontcha just play it

Social source share

Play from the original format, cant be much clearer than that........if you dont wanna DJ with ya rare records to keep em nice un pretty, then dont DJ.......At home etc, please ya self what ya listen to ya music on, when you play out, original format only please.

This absolutely staggers me, why has this become an issue in the last few years, it should be a question that should never be asked, we ALL know the answer........dont have the original, then dont play it, full STOP.

BTW Would be interested to know who the credible DJ's are who are playing from CD, as opposed to original format. Butch, Mick H, Andy Dyson, Soul Sam, Ady Croasdell, Mick Smith, Keith Money, Karl Heard, Steve G, Steve Plum, Bob Cosby, Gavin Page, Dave Abbott, Steve C, Marco, Keb, Arthur Fenn, Tony Smith, ETC, ETC ETC arnt...........................

Russ

Social source share

Hi Craig,

That's quite a bombshell.

I would like to know who, what and where?

Thanks, John

Edited by johnmcc
Social source share

1) I've got all the formats mentioned, so whats the take on if I record my vinyl onto a hard drive, and then either burn a cd to play, or use it straight from the laptop with a "virtual dj" player, am I commiting blasphemy?

2) Most folk that I know, and that includes the most credible northern jocks, with vinyl valued at thousands, (me included) use cd.

3) Are we all about to be hung, drawn and quartered?

1) Yes

2) Who and Where??

3) Yes (you should be anyway)

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

it's an interesting idea Craig but the problem would be ... how do you prove you have the records ?

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Yes you bloody well are......I can't believe this is sooooooooooooo hard for some people to understand, CD's , ipods blah, blah, blah are the modern 'cassette tapes'....yes we all have them, they have their place & are a great way to hear lots of rare soul you'd never hear possibly.....but not a nighters or any credible soul event....ffs...what would have happened after travelling hundreds of miles (in my case) to get to Wigan to hear Richard Searling blasting his set from a C60 cassette tape.....murdered, riots, reputation down the lavvy, tarred & feathered probably.....plus name these 'credible' DJ's...bet you can't because ANY 'credible' DJ would respect the original format.

Enuff said on this subject.

KTF

Baz

Social source share

I think if you had any real respect, interest or passion for the scene then you would understand why original vinyl is so important.

couldn't put it better thumbup.gif

all the other formats are useful in their place. But the heart and soul (pun fully intended) of the music is in the vinyl

Social source share

Hope I'm not missing the point here, but why wouldnt we, I actually personally know a promoter, who albeit politely removed a DJ from the decks for playing from a carver, thier was no fuss, most people present would not have known, there was no nastyness, but said person has never DJ'd again at the venue, promoter had speciically made the policy clear. I wouldnt attend a venue or support a DJ who didnt do this, but its all kinda weird that we're having this discussion again really, we all know the crack.

Best Russ

:shades::thumbup:

Pointless discussion. Unless you are a traditional collector you ain't never gonna get it. Part of the attraction is the actual physical record as well as the music contained on it. Berry Gordy's biggest 'Fuax Pas' "It's What's In The Groove that Counts." What he should have said was "It's What's In The Original Grooves that Really Counts" :lol::wicked:

Social source share

Play from the original format, cant be much clearer than that........if you dont wanna DJ with ya rare records to keep em nice un pretty, then dont DJ.......At home etc, please ya self what ya listen to ya music on, when you play out, original format only please.

This absolutely staggers me, why has this become an issue in the last few years, it should be a question that should never be asked, we ALL know the answer........dont have the original, then dont play it, full STOP.

BTW Would be interested to know who the credible DJ's are who are playing from CD, as opposed to original format. Butch, Mick H, Andy Dyson, Soul Sam, Ady Croasdell, Mick Smith, Keith Money, Karl Heard, Steve G, Steve Plum, Bob Cosby, Gavin Page, Dave Abbott, Steve C, Marco, Keb, Arthur Fenn, Tony Smith, ETC, ETC ETC arnt...........................

Russ

Spot on Russ, the thing is it is easy to say why is this being discussed again, but there are not many other subjects which genuinely annoy people so much (me being one of that camp)...

The subject needs to be regularly aired in order to maintain the message that original records are the heart of this scene, the pride, the spirit, the magic and the mystique.

Pricks who cannot grasp that should never be calling themselves DJ's and it needs to be said LOUD AND CLEAR on a reasonably frequent basis.thumbsup.gif (Unfortunately)

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

it's an interesting idea Craig but the problem would be ... how do you prove you have the records ?

I could have my photograph taken holding the things! Most being UK releases, so I bet that makes me some kind of unspeakable monster too eh?

Look, I was collecting soul and Motown vinyl as an early teenager, when the majority of tracks that are being played now were first released! Way before the "Northern Soul" term was even thought about, I did my first gig when I was 13, and havent stopped since.

I used to hump loads of heavy boxes containing vinyl, up and down stairs, when played at outdoor events they can warp in sunlight, despite shading them away from the rays, idiots can, and have knocked into the table where the TT's are, sending the arm ripping across the record, pint holding arseholes have been known to spill the contents of their glass over them, so why would I want to let this happen to records that have been with me since a teenager?

Things progress, do we still use 78's? Do we heck, some people here are probably asking what a 78 is, exactly!

As for vinyl sounding like the original recording when it was first made, that is incorrect, you would be amazed at how different it is. ( I am talking of comparing old vinyl to the sound first heard at the recording stage) Comparing my original Jr Walkers Road Runner, purchased brand new in 66, played on my home TT costing a fair few bob, there is lots of detail missing when I compare it to its CD cousin, eg, where is the guitar on the vinyl? It just aint there, and its compressed to hell, Motown nearly always did that to their singles to make them sound good on the cheap record players of the day.

Now, dont get me wrong, I would, and do still use my vinyl, but not exclusively, and of course, as we get older, and we all do, Its far less a strain carrying cd's or a laptop around!

The point someone mentioned about any old Tom, Dick or Harry getting a couple of hundred bootlegs holds water, I have witnessed people claiming to be DJ's, merely because they have a decent collection of tunes, that fact does not make you a DJ, just as using cd does not mean you arent!

As for naming the credible soul jocks who dont use vinyl, preferring in some cases to use mp3 files from their laptop, they are...............not going to be named!

Social source share

Heheh! yeah! and 'The Who', they're a rock band for gods sake!

Are you not aware that The Who were a "mod" band, and at the time covered lots of soul and Motown songs?

Social source share

I could have my photograph taken holding the things! Most being UK releases, so I bet that makes me some kind of unspeakable monster too eh?

Look, I was collecting soul and Motown vinyl as an early teenager, when the majority of tracks that are being played now were first released! Way before the "Northern Soul" term was even thought about, I did my first gig when I was 13, and havent stopped since.

I used to hump loads of heavy boxes containing vinyl, up and down stairs, when played at outdoor events they can warp in sunlight, despite shading them away from the rays, idiots can, and have knocked into the table where the TT's are, sending the arm ripping across the record, pint holding arseholes have been known to spill the contents of their glass over them, so why would I want to let this happen to records that have been with me since a teenager?

Things progress, do we still use 78's? Do we heck, some people here are probably asking what a 78 is, exactly!

As for vinyl sounding like the original recording when it was first made, that is incorrect, you would be amazed at how different it is. ( I am talking of comparing old vinyl to the sound first heard at the recording stage) Comparing my original Jr Walkers Road Runner, purchased brand new in 66, played on my home TT costing a fair few bob, there is lots of detail missing when I compare it to its CD cousin, eg, where is the guitar on the vinyl? It just aint there, and its compressed to hell, Motown nearly always did that to their singles to make them sound good on the cheap record players of the day.

Now, dont get me wrong, I would, and do still use my vinyl, but not exclusively, and of course, as we get older, and we all do, Its far less a strain carrying cd's or a laptop around!

The point someone mentioned about any old Tom, Dick or Harry getting a couple of hundred bootlegs holds water, I have witnessed people claiming to be DJ's, merely because they have a decent collection of tunes, that fact does not make you a DJ, just as using cd does not mean you arent!

As for naming the credible soul jocks who dont use vinyl, preferring in some cases to use mp3 files from their laptop, they are...............not going to be named!

your point that cds are more portable etc may have had some clout 20 odd years ago

but making it in 2009 with so many other formats around just smacks of making excuses

as in making the argument fit your own circumstances

as for the rest of your post

photos ?

too heavy cause getting older?

are you on a wind up?

this is a forum called box and is all about vinyl

wise up please

Social source share

Russ

Gavin Page whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!