Just Brothers- Sliced Tomatoes

Guest Soulraine

Guest Dave Turner

I have a white promo of this on music merchant and was wondering is it a legitimate play on the Northern scene?

Thanks....

Was a massive play on the scene circa late '72/73

Originally came out in '65 on Lupine then re-issued on Music Merchnt in '72. I believe there may have been three different releases of it on Music Merchant with different flips.

Music Merchant 1002, 1008 & 1010

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Useless trivia: Fred Bryant the bass player of 'The Just Brothers' was the session player who laid down the bass part on 'How sweet it is to be loved by you' for Junior Walkers' version, only to be wiped and repleced by Jamersons! This is Fred's claim to fame can you believe, as mentioned at this gig.That's Fred playing the bass, with Marcus Belgrave on trumpet, Uriel Jones on drums and Joe Hunter on piano (that you cannnot see), plus Tonya Hood on vocals). This is where I first met Uriel Jones and cleaned his shoes with my hanky. This began the 5 year courtship of contacts in Detroit, to help me with my session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafJ7iyHB1A

Social source share

Originally came out in '65 on Lupine then re-issued on Music Merchnt in '72. I believe there may have been three different releases of it on Music Merchant with different flips.

Confirmation of your information Dave .....

Music Merchant # 1002 released February 1972

Just Brothers " Tears Ago " / " Sliced Tomatoes "

Nusic Merchant # 1008 released July 1972

Just Brothers " Things Will Be Better Tomorrow " / " Sliced Tomatoes "

Music Merchant # 1010 released September 1972

Just Brothers " You've Got The Love To Make Me Over " / " Sliced Tomatoes "

Malc Burton

Social source share

I used to have a Lupine (or was it Lupin) copy it had '' Things will be better tomorrow '' on the other side,i think i'm gonna have to pull you on the date 1967? kind regards Gilly Nicola

Social source share

'Sliced tomatoes' was recorded at United Sound Studios in Detroit in 1965. Band members were Richard 'Pistol' Allen (drums) Frank Bryant (bass) Eddie Willis (lead guitar) Jimmy Bryant (lead guitar) Joe Hunter (keyboards) Written and produced by Johnny Terry.

Originally recorded as the 'B' side to vocal track called 'Honey' which was not released at the time. Eventually issued on Hayley Records in UK 2000.

'Sliced tomatoes' issued in 1965 on Lupine. Re released on Music Merchant in 1972. Johnny Terry's wife is sister of Holland brothers, thus the connection.

All christian names listed here are correct.

Social source share

'Sliced tomatoes' was recorded at United Sound Studios in Detroit in 1965. Band members were Richard 'Pistol' Allen (drums) Frank Bryant (bass) Eddie Willis (lead guitar) Jimmy Bryant (lead guitar) Joe Hunter (keyboards) Written and produced by Johnny Terry.

Originally recorded as the 'B' side to vocal track called 'Honey' which was not released at the time. Eventually issued on Hayley Records in UK 2000.

'Sliced tomatoes' issued in 1965 on Lupine. Re released on Music Merchant in 1972. Johnny Terry's wife is sister of Holland brothers, thus the connection.

OK Rob your the man on this one so i'll have to put my hands up.I Don't remember where the 1967 imfo came from but thats how i've always understood it thanks mate oh and my mum says hi regards Gilly and Nicola

Social source share

Hiya Gilly

Good to hear from you. Please give my best to your mum too. I love the fact that on the Lupine issue of 'Sliced tomatoes' it shows as being produced by 'The Lively Ones'!!

Johnny Terry received a five figure cheque a few years ago when HDH got royalties from that Fat Lad (rip off) thing. The individual band members got nothing. Frank B. was particularly ticked off with this because Johnny is listed as the sole writer. On EVERY other Just Brothers song him or Jimmy, or both, shared writing credits. Sadly, Jimmy passed away several years ago, 'Pistol' died recently and Johnny Terry expired this year. Johnny was involved with Jack Montgomery's finest efforts, used to sing with the Drifters (on 'Saturday night at the movies' among many others) and wrote James Brown's first hit 'Please please please'. (They met in juvenile hall!) John McLure and I had the pleasure of being shown around Detroit by Frank in April this year. We saw where Thelma was based, Twenty Grand, Correctone, Burt studios. United Sound and much more. The commentary he provided were hair raising!!

Cheers

Social source share

Heard Carl/ Maria Willingham play the flip side as the last record one night at Middleton..

Can't remember the name of the tune an as you have stated here ther are a few different flips on issues..

The track they played was a great mid tempo soul tune and oh so nice if i remember

Can you help with the title

cheers

Social source share

Thanks Paul

Been to refosoul but the soundfile aint working??

Can anyone post a soundfile of this tune??

cheers

Was gonna suggest it may be that flip Steve (You"ve Got The Love To Make Me Over) but beaten to it.... it had plays out in its own right at a few places.... including our old Ponds Forge venue for one....

Anyway.... hear it > HERE < if Refosoul soundfile not working thumbsup.gif ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Thanks for clip Mark.. Top bloke..

Hope you are well mate..

No problem Steve....

If I could've laid my hands on the record I'd have recorded it and sent you a full length mp3....

p.s. yep.... well mate.... you and your good lady are too I assume.... all being well will see you on Dec 26th, and I'll see about dragging Mr F over thumbsup.gif ....

Social source share

Hiya Gilly

Good to hear from you. Please give my best to your mum too. I love the fact that on the Lupine issue of 'Sliced tomatoes' it shows as being produced by 'The Lively Ones'!!

Johnny Terry received a five figure cheque a few years ago when HDH got royalties from that Fat Lad (rip off) thing. The individual band members got nothing. Frank B. was particularly ticked off with this because Johnny is listed as the sole writer. On EVERY other Just Brothers song him or Jimmy, or both, shared writing credits. Sadly, Jimmy passed away several years ago, 'Pistol' died recently and Johnny Terry expired this year. Johnny was involved with Jack Montgomery's finest efforts, used to sing with the Drifters (on 'Saturday night at the movies' among many others) and wrote James Brown's first hit 'Please please please'. (They met in juvenile hall!) John McLure and I had the pleasure of being shown around Detroit by Frank in April this year. We saw where Thelma was based, Twenty Grand, Correctone, Burt studios. United Sound and much more. The commentary he provided were hair raising!!

Cheers

Rob, do you have any inormation on the Just Brothers and their 12" disco soul release from the late 70's ... one of the most sought after of all 12" discs according to many hardened collectors that I've spoken to. One would assume that is the same act as the Just Brothers of Sliced Tomatoes ...

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

quote name='Pete S' date='26 November 2009 - 10:07 AM' timestamp='1259230079' post='1202253']

White promo of this (and Eloise laws) is a bootleg

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

quote name='Pete S' date='26 November 2009 - 10:07 AM' timestamp='1259230079' post='1202253']

White promo of this (and Eloise laws) is a bootleg

Music Merchant 1002 Demo looks like this!It's intresting Rob that you say only J Terry is down as the only writer and not Eddie Willis, On this demo it as Winford.E Terry! I take it should read Willis E. Terry?

post-4570-1260014967736_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Rob, do you have any inormation on the Just Brothers and their 12" disco soul release from the late 70's ... one of the most sought after of all 12" discs according to many hardened collectors that I've spoken to. One would assume that is the same act as the Just Brothers of Sliced Tomatoes ...

I've never heard of this but will find out the next time I speak to Frank.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Music Merchant 1002 Demo looks like this!It's intresting Rob that you say only J Terry is down as the only writer and not Eddie Willis, On this demo it as Winford.E Terry! I take it should read Willis E. Terry?

post-4570-1260014967736_thumb.jpg

Winford is 'Johnny' Terry's real name.

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

• 10 years later...
On 26/11/2009 at 18:44, Guest said:

Music Merchant # 1002 released February 1972

Just Brothers " Tears Ago " / " Sliced Tomatoes "

Nusic Merchant # 1008 released July 1972

Music Merchant # 1010 released September 1972

Just Brothers " You've Got The Love To Make Me Over " / " Sliced Tomatoes "

Malc Burton

Has anyone seen / got one of these . . .

Music Merchant # 1008 released July 1972

It appears in a few discographies, but I've only ever seen the promo with "Things Will Be Better" on both sides.

Social source share

On 27/11/2009 at 11:31, Rob Moss said:

Rob

I see you were asked before and this is a very old thread but could you explain exactly why HDH used a 1965 track three times for Just Brothers records. When HDH recorded new tracks wouldn't they have the resources to finish enough new songs for flip sides and not have to use Sliced Tomatoes again. Was it just as a favour to the Hollands' sister and brother-in-law or did Just Brothers use the song in their live shows and it had a local popularity.

Rick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!