Something New - You Babe/what's This I See (Curtom)

Jason S

Anyone know the story on this?

Curtom CR1954

Something New - You Babe/What's This I See

Two cover versions produced by Curtis. Can't find much info about it. :chinstroke:

Bob knows something about this as he commented on it on a previous thread (might have been the curtom thread).

It's a pop soul cover of June Conquest.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Hi Ady

You put the intrumental of "You Babe" out as Young Holt Unlimited on a Kent LP 069.

The vocal version although originally credited to Otis Leavill later came out on a Grapevine cd Chigago Soul Survey 3027 credited as a demo cut by Carl Davis. Come to think of it I've seen more Wand copies than Curtomg.gif.

Dave.W

Social source share

Hi Ady

You put the intrumental of "You Babe" out as Young Holt Unlimited on a Kent LP 069.

The vocal version although originally credited to Otis Leavill later came out on a Grapevine cd Chigago Soul Survey 3027 credited as a demo cut by Carl Davis. Come to think of it I've seen more Wand copies than Curtom:chinstroke:.

Dave.W

For some reason the Curtom pressing wasn't in our database, most unusual. The vocal was credited as written on the Brunswick/Dakar tape box but I'm sure Carl should know what's what.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Hi Ady,

Dunno about Bob, but I have never seen the Teri Crispino 45 on Wand. Unless someone turns one up, I think it's a mystery "did it ever come out?" one. If it did come out it was probably only promo'd in Chicago.

All you ever see is his 1977 LP.

Steve

Social source share

Found it, it looks very interesting and super-rare!

The album, yes jazzy thing I believe?

For a moment I thought you'd found a copy of the Teri Crispino 45 on Wand....

I wonder if it's the bird on linkedin?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

it might turn up, but I never look at pop records on ebay or in real life. I think either the curtom or wand press of the something new says 'featuring terry crispino' on one side but it's not on both records.

Yup but it's the solo 45 by her that I am interested in. Got Something New on both labels. Cheers Steve

Social source share

• 8 years later...

Not sure if they're talking about the same 45 here, but it looks like Terry also had a single coming out on Madtad Records which appears to be a collaboration between  Curtis Mayfield, Marv Stuart and Scepter/ Wand . From Cashbox April 10, 1971- 

Terri.jpg

Madtad.jpg

Edited by The Yank
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Steve Guanori’s Scepter/ Wand book gives the details of the Something New single and of the Mad Tad label.

The BGR single is notable for the B side - its a version of the Etta James/Willie Dixon standard “ I just wanna make love to you”, but credits Kenny Lynch as composer, so probably the only time you’ll see Kenny’s name and Curtis Mayfield on the same record.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!