Dena Barnes & The Lollipops - Same Artist?

Pete S

I reckon that the lead singer on The Lollipops "Loving good feeling" is definitely Dena Barnes. Same label (almost), same writers and producers, and she sounds the same except there's no squeaky high notes for her to sing in LGF.

Has this link ever been mentioned before or am I hearing things?

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I reckon that the lead singer on The Lollipops "Loving good feeling" is definitely Dena Barnes. Same label (almost), same writers and producers, and she sounds the same except there's no squeaky high notes for her to sing in LGF.

Has this link ever been mentioned before or am I hearing things?

I've been after this for the beautiful B side 'Step aside baby' for ages and have just bought it off of Pete - somebody else said it to me once before about DENA BARNES and listening to it again, I think Pete is right. 'Step aside baby' sounds even more like DB. Anybody have any idea?thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

See Issue #2 of There's That Beat! Theres a fantastic picture of the Lollipops in the feature on Impact Records. It also investigates the different Lollipops line ups for the different labels they were on I think. I interviewed Harry Balk extensively in 2006 and his quote was "I'm sure Barney (Duke Browner) cut 4 sides on her". be nice tio find the other 2 eh? The link between The 'Motown" (VIP) Lollipops and Impact was obviously Harry. When he took over as Head of Creative Department he folded Impact and took Barney and a few artists/tracks with him. hence Duke Browner produced The Lollipops on VIP. Of course Barney Browner turned his back on the secular world many years ago and unfortunately has now passed on so a lot of the detailed info on his work went with him.

I tried everything to trace Gardenia Barnes but all to no avail. The last person who had contact with her was, I think, Tim Ashibende but he hasn't a clue where she is now.. All he remembered was that she was an extremely 'large' lady.

I'd be surprised if Dena Barnes was a member of The Lollipops at any time, but stranger things have happened eh?

Great records all of them.

Social source share

See Issue #2 of There's That Beat! Theres a fantastic picture of the Lollipops in the feature on Impact Records. It also investigates the different Lollipops line ups for the different labels they were on I think. I interviewed Harry Balk extensively in 2006 and his quote was "I'm sure Barney (Duke Browner) cut 4 sides on her". be nice tio find the other 2 eh? The link between The 'Motown" (VIP) Lollipops and Impact was obviously Harry. When he took over as Head of Creative Department he folded Impact and took Barney and a few artists/tracks with him. hence Duke Browner produced The Lollipops on VIP. Of course Barney Browner turned his back on the secular world many years ago and unfortunately has now passed on so a lot of the detailed info on his work went with him.

I tried everything to trace Gardenia Barnes but all to no avail. The last person who had contact with her was, I think, Tim Ashibende but he hasn't a clue where she is now.. All he remembered was that she was an extremely 'large' lady.

I'd be surprised if Dena Barnes was a member of The Lollipops at any time, but stranger things have happened eh?

Well Dave you know my thoughts on this matter,as i said a couple of years ago my theory is The Sequins(Detroit ones) had three members, i have an original promo photo that Dave Hamilton gave me of the girls,on that same trip i was lucky enough to go round Duke Browners house, he didnt give up alot of imformation but i did get three records from him,one of these was the Sequins 45 Try My Love. At the time it didnt make complete sense but as time moved on having looked at a picture of the Lollipps (4 members) 3 of them look like the girls in the Sequins photo. What i think may of happend is Duke signed the 3 girls added a member and called them The Lollipops.This would in part explain why Duke had the Try My Love 45. This i know does'nt answer the original question (surfice to say people do change) but from what Tim told me years ago having met her non of the girls in either photo match the description of Gardinia Barnes. regards Gilly and Nicola

Social source share

Well Dave you know my thoughts on this matter,as i said a couple of years ago my theory is The Sequins(Detroit ones) had three members, i have an original promo photo that Dave Hamilton gave me of the girls,on that same trip i was lucky enough to go round Duke Browners house, he didnt give up alot of imformation but i did get three records from him,one of these was the Sequins 45 Try My Love. At the time it didnt make complete sense but as time moved on having looked at a picture of the Lollipps (4 members) 3 of them look like the girls in the Sequins photo. What i think may of happend is Duke signed the 3 girls added a member and called them The Lollipops.This would in part explain why Duke had the Try My Love 45. This i know does'nt answer the original question (surfice to say people do change) but from what Tim told me years ago having met her non of the girls in either photo match the description of Gardinia Barnes. regards Gilly and Nicola

Hi Gilly,

Hope your well Matey,

Yep we've been down the Lollipops road before eh? You're right of course and there are distinct similarities with the girls. Bev is convinced that they are one and the same line up too. And of course, with Duke Browner being the conduit I reckon there's a good chance you're right.

Social source share

Well - the voices sound remarkably similar so I'll stick to my theory but thanks for the info.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!