A Major Lance Lp In Mccartney's Hand?

macca

Only nutters like ourselves would probably scrutinise something like this, but I reckon this is a Major Lance LP in McCartney's hand. Everybody knows the Beatles were heavily influenced by the sound of Black America, but Major Lance is a bit of a surprise. But then again, it might not be. Records like The Monkey Time were huge hits over there in 1963/4 so the Fabs would have been buying the stuff they happened to be hearing in clubs during their time off. Bruce Springsteen's live version of Mary's Place from the 2004 tour features The Monkey Time too. I reckon that a lot of folk in the 70's were under the impression that Major Lance was some obscure recording artist, but it wasn't obviously the case, was it? What do yous think?

post-122-12596774816645_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Only nutters like ourselves would probably scrutinise something like this, but I reckon this is a Major Lance LP in McCartney's hand. Everybody knows the Beatles were heavily influenced by the sound of Black America, but Major Lance is a bit of a surprise. But then again, it might not be. Records like The Monkey Time were huge hits over there in 1963/4 so the Fabs would have been buying the stuff they happened to be hearing in clubs during their time off. Bruce Springsteen's live version of Mary's Place from the 2004 tour features The Monkey Time too. I reckon that a lot of folk in the 70's were under the impression that Major Lance was some obscure recording artist, but it wasn't obviously the case, was it? What do yous think?

The album PM is holding , is the US Okeh # 12106 release ( 1964 ) of " Um Um Um Um Um Um - The Best Of Major Lance " .

Malc Burton

post-5097-12596788961281.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

10 out of 10 for observation-God knows how many times I've seen that picture over the years and I always thought he was holding Russ Winstanley's Wigan book !!! ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

The album PM is holding , is the US Okeh # 12106 release ( 1964 ) of " Um Um Um Um Um Um - The Best Of Major Lance " .

Malc Burton

Spot on Malc thumbsup.gif

No flies on you mate no.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I believe that Ringo Starr was on a list to receive promo copies from either Oriole or Stateside.

Came about from the Beatles interest in the Motown sound.

I remember wondering once if he still has them hidden away in some archive somewhere - and what they would be worth with Ringo as the "one careful owner"??!!

MB

Social source share

there is but he's worked out how bandages doused in TCP keeps the fookers away from his bed sores.

TCP : God I had forgotten that , not heard it mentioned for years .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

TCP : God I had forgotten that , not heard it mentioned for years .....

Malc Burton

Here ya go Malc, I'll buy ya one for Christmas (only if ya promise to wear it) thumbsup.gif

buzzyflyhat.jpg

Social source share

And my late father Alf Bicknell is the one with 'Hard Days Night LP' coming back from the second world tour, first hand knowledge and judging by some of the albums my dad bought back from his travels with the boy's they were huge black music fans.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark this is obviously common knowledge to everyone except me but I had absolutely no idea your dad was Alf Bicknell, this is a name I've seen countless times in the hundreds of books I've read about The beatles, boy would I like to have met him over a pint for a chinwag. Much respect.

Social source share

Mark this is obviously common knowledge to everyone except me but I had absolutely no idea your dad was Alf Bicknell, this is a name I've seen countless times in the hundreds of books I've read about The beatles, boy would I like to have met him over a pint for a chinwag. Much respect.

Very proud of my dad however, I've never bragged about the fact that he had a very unique job working for well the biggest band in history, he worked for them from 1964 through to the last live show at Candlestick Park in 1966, did two world tours with them, was at Abbey Road during the recordings of Rubber Soul, Help and Revolver, attended the famous meeting with Elvis and was very much part of the Beatles inner sanctum during that period...I miss him.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Very proud of my dad however, I've never bragged about the fact that he had a very unique job working for well the biggest band in history, he worked for them from 1964 through to the last live show at Candlestick Park in 1966, did two world tours with them, was at Abbey Road during the recordings of Rubber Soul, Help and Revolver, attended the famous meeting with Elvis and was very much part of the Beatles inner sanctum during that period...I miss him.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Amazing that!, you must have some Beatles archive then Mark :D

Social source share

10 out of 10 for observation-God knows how many times I've seen that picture over the years and I always thought he was holding Russ Winstanley's Wigan book !!! ph34r.gif

I'll swear to you it's the first time I've seen the bugger. Mark, I notice that first picture is dedicated to a Chema Rios. He's actually a friend of a friend. A long time Beatle nut who recently offered me a pedal from Lennon's gran piano. Needless to say I declined his kind offer. He lives in La Coru±a & is an eminent gynecologist. Mad as a box of frogs though.

Social source share

And my late father Alf Bicknell is the one with 'Hard Days Night LP' coming back from the second world tour, first hand knowledge and judging by some of the albums my dad bought back from his travels with the boy's they were huge black music fans.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

'kinel, Mark, that is something. Must make you proud. Bets wishes, Dean

Social source share

The book NORTHERN SOUL STORIES contains different pic of Paul with Major Lance album at Heathrow...another one which we didn't use had John Lennon in New York hotel room with big box marked with Epic logo. Norman Jopling says there were loads of Okeh 45's in there as The Beatles has asked about Major Lance.

And book also has story about how Ringo Starr was supplied with complete collection of Oriole Records. Oriole said the biggest selling

region for their Motown releases was Merseyside.

And kind of related ...in the book the son of the owner of Oriole is interviewed and he recalls his Dad bringing Berry Gordy to their flat in Baker Street, London where, after Sunday lunch,Berry fell asleep on a settee with brandy glass in hand. Was hoping to get copy of the Oriole-Motown contract in the book but it could not be located.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I believe that Ringo Starr was on a list to receive promo copies from either Oriole or Stateside.

And book also has story about how Ringo Starr was supplied with complete collection of Oriole Records. Oriole said the biggest selling region for their Motown releases was Merseyside.

Apologies for confusing this story a bit - thanks for clarifying. thumbup.gif

For me those 2 Beatles tours of the U.S. rank in the top 100 iconic events of the 20th century.

To be part of that - WOW!

Once you take out the wars and disasters they are probably in the top 10.

Double WOW!!

MB

Social source share

The Beatles covered the following Motwn songs, "Please Mr Postman", "Money", "You Really Got A Hold On Me" on thier first albums (songs regularly performed in Hamburg and the Cavern club) and were allways ardent supporters of the Motown record company even into the mid-sixties, John Lennon played a copy of The Supremes "Stop in the Name of Love to George Martin and Brian Epstein and wanted to know how get the same power into thier recordings that this record had on it's intro.

Social source share

• 10 years later...
On 01/12/2009 at 14:35, Citizen P said:

And when the Stones first went Stateside allegedly a reporter asked Brian Jones what he was most looking forward to seeing?

"Muddy Waters"

reporter-"Where's that, then?"

Tony

Sorry I'm late.....

The journo was talking to McCartney and Ringo on one side of a group interview.

It wasn't the  the Stones - they didn't have the sharp humour of the Beatles, being posh Southeners.

It was Ringo who replied "Muddy Waters".

Social source share

Is there any evidence to suggest that the Sylvia Robinson who is stated as apparently being the mother of Keisha Lance Bottoms is in fact the Sylvia Robinson of Mickey & Sylvia / Stang / All Platinum / Sugar Hill fame ... or some other Sylvia Robinson ? The biographies of Keisha and Major make no specific reference to that Sylvia Robinson of Stang /All Platinum fame who was also married for a  long time to Joe Robinson - also her business partner in Stang / All Platinum - and who were still married in 1970 when Keisha was born. Nor does the bio of Sylvia of Stang / All Platinum make any mention of a  child with Major Lance ... or any child named Keisha.

Edited by Sunnysoul
Social source share

2 hours ago, Sunnysoul said:

Is there any evidence to suggest that the Sylvia Robinson who is stated as apparently being the mother of Keisha Lance Bottoms is in fact the Sylvia Robinson of Mickey & Sylvia / Stang / All Platinum / Sugar Hill fame ... or some other Sylvia Robinson ? The biographies of Keisha and Major make no specific reference to that Sylvia Robinson of Stang /All Platinum fame who was also married for a  long time to Joe Robinson - also her business partner in Stang / All Platinum - and who were still married in 1970 when Keisha was born. Nor does the bio of Sylvia of Stang / All Platinum make any mention of a  child with Major Lance ... or any child named Keisha.

Maybe you should ask Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms herself, she can be contacted through her website.  It might just be a coincidence.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!