The New Yorkers On Tac-Ful

• Replies 34
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi people could anybody tell me how much A copy of the new yorkers dont wanna be your fool is going for on tac-ful cheers. thumbsup.gif

One went for £250 earlier this year on SS. I got mine for £275-300ish. A minter would probably sell for more on ebay though.

Social source share

Supposed to have also come out on Radio City - anyone ever seen one???

I think there's been a couple, they are like test pressings I think?

I remember when you had this gene, I bet it was £30 then!

I think I paid about £220 for the one off ebay a month ago.

Social source share

I think there's been a couple, they are like test pressings I think?

I remember when you had this gene, I bet it was £30 then!

I think I paid about £220 for the one off ebay a month ago.

You're not kidding Pete! Got it from Ian Clark at the 100 Club in Feb '85 for £10 - he offered me a choice of two copies; one with the footballer and one without.

Did it go to you, or to Mick Smith? Can't remember, but you're right - I would have outed it for around £30.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Here's the scans of both

KTF

Baz

Aren't the plain-label Tac-Ful copies without the football player allegedly "rarer"?

post-1805-12597876431052_thumb.jpg

post-1805-12597876659487_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Wish I had the plain label...classic look to it. What an intro to the song too! Perfect.yes.gif

Aaahh - if you're talking about intros - what a great tune either way! As for labels - I agree that the non-pic one is the best to go after, but the footballer one is a great example to show why there was real art to the vinyl in the old days.

Social source share

Wish I had the plain label...classic look to it. What an intro to the song too! Perfect.yes.gif

Yes plain label does look good, tho a footballer mint- copy from Thomsons bargain bin wasn't to be sniffed at for £200

Did hear of someone paying 450/500 for a footballer label in last year or so.

10 quid Gene? surprised you didn't buy 'em both whistling.gif

Social source share

10 quid Gene? surprised you didn't buy 'em both whistling.gif

Well Dave, as the saying goes, 'if I knew then what I knew now.............' blush.gif

Funny thing is, when I played it during my guest spot at the 100 Club in Nov 1986, hardly anyone batted an eyelid, and the floor was virtually empty. It only filled back up when I followed it up with "If This Isn't Love" by Johnny Bartel!

I first heard this played by Tony Clayton at Peterborough in 1983. I'm assuming it was the late Nev Wherry's copy, given that Tony bought his collection from his widow.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

• 1 month later...

hi all. i have one on RADIO CITY1001....."you should have told me ."............WITH ........" theres gonna be a wedding "on the b side ..............its the one on popsike, i bought it last year.is it in the books or value please anyone, thanks ezzie

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest sharmo 1

Hi there just to throw a spanner in the works my copie is on Tact-ful with the footballers on it then there's half a white lable across the lable with Radio city records and thier address typed on it and I'm sure it say's demo on it .I've tried to find it not sure if it's in the garage or shed to give you exact details I bought it off Mr.Manship around 20-25 years ago.Regards Si.

Social source share

Supposed to have also come out on Radio City - anyone ever seen one???

I have one on Radio City white DJ. It also came as gold on black store stock. There was a Radio City issue of the record with the group name changed to The Royal Knights, but the recordings are exactly the same. Radio City was a re-issue a year or two later, when The owner (someone named Johnson) moved to San Diego. The Radio City releases, in addition to having their own pressing plant pressing code number, also list the Tac-Ful record catalog number (TF1002). The Radio City re-releases are much rarer, but as re-releases have less value. So, the combination of being less original, but being rarer, may make their prices not so far apart.

The New Yorkers were produced in L.A. by L.A. producer, Ben Gresham. His brother Jimmy was the arranger. The group was called The New Yorkers because they were managed by 3 professional US Football players who had played much of their careers with The New York Giants, but now, (1964-65) were playing for The Los Angeles Rams. I believe that at least one, if not two of the group members were the football players (possibly all 3).

There were also some Tac-Ful pressings from another pressing plant that were a greenish-blue. I have one of those as well.

We had a thread on this very topic on RareSoul Forum in 2007, with scans of all these records.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Tac-Ful was part-owned by Roosevelt Grier (hence the football link), wasn`t it ? His business partner started Radio City when he left Tac-Ful and moved to California. Thats at least how I remember the background...

The New Yorkers 45 was released three times on Radio City 1001 as

New Yorkers "Don`t Wanna Be Your Fool/There's Going To Be A Wedding"

Royal Knights "You Should Have Told Me / There's Going To Be A Wedding"

Royal Knights "You Should Have Told Me / Don't Want To Be Your Fool"

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Didn't this also come out as the New Yorkers, very rare though.

never seen or heard about it, but still possible of course ? McGrath has as label owner one Ben Gresham, (I suppose) brother of Jimmy Gresham. They coupled up as producers on some of the Radio City 45s too.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Tac-Ful was part-owned by Roosevelt Grier (hence the football link), wasn`t it ? His business partner started Radio City when he left Tac-Ful and moved to California. Thats at least how I remember the background...

Several people say the partner moving to San Diego was Ben Gresham, NOT Johnson.  Rosie Grier (MGM, D-Town, etc. was a US Football Hall of Fame 16 year veteran of The New York Giants and L.A. Rams.  He and his 2 other New York Giant/ L.A. Rams partners had been living in L.A. for several years before they started Tac-Ful Records.  So, no one moved from New York to San Diego.  Ben Gresham had been an L.A. record producer and arranger since the 1950s.  Apparently, HE moved to San Diego, and took the Tac-Ful master tapes with him.

Social source share

hi all. i have one on RADIO CITY1001....."you should have told me ."............WITH ........" theres gonna be a wedding "on the b side ..............its the one on popsike, i bought it last year.is it in the books or value please anyone, thanks ezzie

its in manny at £75

Social source share

Hi there just to throw a spanner in the works my copie is on Tact-ful with the footballers on it then there's half a white lable across the lable with Radio city records and thier address typed on it and I'm sure it say's demo on it .I've tried to find it not sure if it's in the garage or shed to give you exact details I bought it off Mr.Manship around 20-25 years ago.Regards Si.

I wish i had such a great record stashed away amongst other great records in my garage or shed... then again i wish i had a garage... gimme a couple of years ill get there yet

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I wish i had such a great record stashed away amongst other great records in my garage or shed... then again i wish i had a garage... gimme a couple of years ill get there yet

Hello mate some time back I did find it and showed it John he remebered it .I keep records all over the place my rare stuff and dj box's are at my brothers in Beeston nott's he works from home and live's on a rough estate so his house is like a fortress with cameras and alarms so ironicly no safer place.I've got some in a bedroom at one of my son's and he's a bit tasty so they're safe then to be honest a garage full i forget about thing's then remember and think i'll pop in the garage which is very secure as I have that much stuff from work there , then I have about 10 stillage's of records on a unit on an industrial estate near loughborough.people used to freak out sometimes when they came 'round to buy record and they'd say where do i start and i'd pull a tarpalling off a pallet in the yard and say get stuck in here mate.But most of the records are in a barn in Moira that i rent off a farmer to be fare most collectors would have a stroke if they saw the place as it's very basic and leaks a bit Sam Moore came to the farm once and i lifted some down with my fork truck jesus his jaw dropped on the floor.It dosent harm them people worry too much .sooner keep them in a garage or barn than in a house with heat regards Simon.
Social source share

fantastic! a bluddy barn full cant even imagine it! and here i am with a record box of 60 or so aha... as i say, gimme a couple of years... if you need me to take any of yer hands thats fine ill move some stuff around and help you  out like  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!