Alan Pollard R.i.p

Julianb

A big shock paul told me when i spoke to him this afternoon.

Alan was a true gentleman and will be greatly missed by everyone whose life he touched, my thoughts and prayers go to Judi and the family. theres not much i can add as you can see by the tributes already posted.

Mark

Social source share

I got a phone call this morning with the awfull news Alan was one of my best friends a truly lovely person . We had lost touch over the years and just got back in touch last year via Soul Source .

As teenagers we would sit for hours discussing George Kerr productions and he could recite the whole British Motown catalouge backwards such was his knowledge even then .

He was my best man when I got married a role he took so seriosly that I was drunk by the time I got to the registry office .

My heart goes out to Judi and his familly ,

We have lost a great friend a true gent a great ambassador for the scene .

RIP Polly .

Social source share

Sad, sad news indeed.

I first met Alan through the Rocket All-Nighters and the legendary Spoofers warmups.

A true gentlemen, impeccable taste in music, coupled with a thirst for knowledge about all things soulful

A genuinely nice bloke with no front whatsoever.

Goodnight God Bless mate.

Phil

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Alan Pollard - All round 'Gud Bloke'.

Alan was the first guy to ask me about starting The Hitsville Soul Club. Our reasoning was that 'chinstokers' (of which were proud to be described), had started to get a bad name and we always felt that the music should be a thing that brought people together as opposed to making people more devisive, which we felt was happening. So...cut a long story short, we decided that we would invite other collectors who we knew enjoyed each others company, collected records and people who knew how to have a good time to join us. I'm proud to say that...that ethos blossomed and that was due in large part to Alan and other peoples committment, not just to the music but to the artists and each other.

At these sad times people who know me know my philosophy....I tend to concentrate on the positive legacy that people leave behind and in Alan's case that's easy to do. Music played a large part in Al's life and when I told him that the Harthon Trio were 'inbound' to Florida a few years ago and that we were gonna put them in a room with us for the afternoon for Q/A sessions, he didn't think he would make it. He wasn't well at all and he was devastated. Well guess what?.....His family rallied round him, Judi coaxed me into convincing,(bullying), him to make the trip, and his daughter came along to help Judi over the weekend. It was physically a difficult trip for Al. He'd just started to need a wheelchair and it hurt him. At one stage I was concerned that we'd done the wrong thing. But....as Alan and I placed the Harthon guys in a massive limousine, stuffed envelopes with some cash that we'd raised into their pockets and despatched them back to the airport for their Business Class flights home, having seen the unashamed glee on their faces at having their talents finally recognised by 'in the flesh' fans. Al's demeanour changed. His face was a picture. We'd finally done it. We'd enjoyed the company of a trio of guys who we'd admired as youngsters from afar and had actually become their friends! As we used to say to each other on a regular basis "Who'da thunk it!" Al's words as I pushed him back to the hotel coffee bar to reflect on the trip will sit with me for ever. "Dave...no doubt about it. That was the highlight of my soul musical life. We did a good thing!"

Well Al....I've done a lot of things in terms of my soul musical life and buddy, I'm with you....It really WAS the highlight of my musical life too! Partly because it was the Harthon guys but mainly because I got to share it all with people like you.

Al was the kinda guy that celebrated the fact that YOU had just found that long time want! He felt good for YOU! A true record collector with a passion for soul music of all descriptions.

It's a soul site and I'll stick to soul related memories in respect of Alan here, but if I had to some up my feelings for Alan Pollard, dedicated family man, hard working, straight talking, soul music lover, it would be this.....I was extremely proud to call him my friend.

Bet he's sifting though St Michaels' sales boxes as we speak! Keep the White Demos to one side for me Al! Rest easy Mucker.....it's over....sleep tight.....and CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB EXTREMELY WELL DONE.

Cannot add anything to Dave's reflections.... A few pics that I'M sure Alan would like to be remembered by....behind the decks playing Harthon/Dyno Dynamics records to makers Messrs McDougal, Stiles & Randolph & with those legends post-5119-12598661480727_thumb.jpg

post-5119-12598660908372_thumb.jpg

post-5119-12598660908372_thumb.jpg

post-5119-12598661480727_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

A shock to hear the news. Going by all the posts will be sadly missed by all who knew him. Never a bad word about anyone, a true measure of the man.

RIP Alan.

Social source share

Very sad news indeed,i only spoke to Alan a few times at venues he was always very friendly,although we spoke on here and swaped Cds a few times,Alan had great taste in music and he was one of lifes true Gents,my sincere condolences go to his wife and to all his family.

Rest in peace Alan.

Dave f............

Social source share

Guest candj45

really sad news,only had the pleasure of meeting alan half a dozen times but it was always just that, a pleasure.

he put me on to one of my fave tunes little johnny truitt - just the other day.

just played it ,brought a tear to my eye

take care judi

craig

Social source share

really sad news,only had the pleasure of meeting alan half a dozen times but it was always just that, a pleasure.

he put me on to one of my fave tunes little johnny truitt - just the other day.

just played it ,brought a tear to my eye

take care judi

craig

What a nice tribute with such a sweet tune... Soul indeed

Thank you xx

Social source share

Guest styrene45

Shocked and stunned at the news, met Alan at Spoofers some year ago and remained friends with him and his wife Judi ever since. A true gentleman with a wonderful family and never had a bad word to say about about anyone. The picture added shows Alan with Howard G and Dave M, all three met at Spoofers for the first time and became the "3 Amigos", good times! Whilst I am sad Alan is no longer with us, I am very fortunate to have got to known him. Thoughts and prayers to Judi and the family.

post-17826-12598713101206_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Oh bloody hell, this is really really awful news but Alan after all his recently problems died suddenly last night.

For all of us who knew him, we will remember him for his unending love and affection for Judi and his family and his devotion to all things soul.

Sorry can't go on, really upset.

Julian

Thanks for letting us know Julian, Janet and I are really upset they say the good die young well in this case its bloody true. Our thoughts are with you Judi and all the family. ( We're gonna miss you )

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Had the pleasure of Alan's company last year at Hitsville in Spain, a really nice soulful guy, RIP Mr Pollard

Condolences to Judy and Family

Chris W & Marcelle

Edited by Chris Waterman
Social source share

Got the news tonight from Bev,then Dave.(Moore) I'm heartbroke.I'll be there with Dave ,Judi. God bless.

H (one less amigo)

Edited by griffh
Social source share

A True Gentleman,always a kind word,always a smile,our condolances too his Family. Another Soulbrother gone. Graham&Rosie Dexter .

Awful shock, a true gentleman, fellow collector and top soulman. Known him for many years since he first starting dj-ing for us all that many years ago at East Kirkby Miners Welfare. Sad loss!

Our condolences to Judi and the family.

Mark

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Met Alan for the first time last year at the Hitsville gig in Spain but that was more than enough to convince me he was a proper bloke - no bull, honest, and lots more. Glad I had that opportunity.

RIP Alan x

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Alan's set at Souler Power (aka The Taxi Club) was one of the highlights of the Club's short soul career. He lit up the the place with the sounds he played and his sheer depth of knowledge and friendlieness shone through. On behalf of all the former residents of Souler Power we offer our sincere condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

Ali

Social source share

Guest Keep the Boy Happy

We also met Alan & Judy through attending DM's Hitsville venues, 2 lovely people and it was a great pleasure to spend time in their company.

I have Alan to thank for me hearing Chi-Chi If you're gonna love me - for the first time at La Finca on a chill out Sunday afternoon, a record that Mr KTBH promptly obtained on our return home, so from now on when we hear/play it it will be with fond memories of a lovely man who is so obviously well liked, loved and respected by all who knew him.

RIP Alan

Love to Judi & Family x

Kevin & Bev Parker

Social source share

Sad sad news R.I.P. Alan a true Gentleman

Condolences to his family

Wow!Shocked, just found out this afternoon. I Met Alan and Judy at the first Hitsville Weekender in f They are/were warm, caring, and friendly people. Alan will be greatly missed. He always had time to talk, share the love, and spread the faith. A great guy that i thought of often Rest In Peace mate.

Judy and the rest of the family please accept my sincerest and deepest sympathy.

DJ

Social source share

In 2007 it was uncertain that Alan Pollard was coming to the Hitsville weekender, but after the announcement of the Dynodynamics/Harthon guys being the guests of honor, he made the journey across to the Uinited States despite his health conditions. Being able to have him at the event was a real privilege and his records were top notch. I'm very thankful that I captured some of his set with my video camera. In the beginning, you see Weldon A. McDougal III enjoying one of his records being played by Alan. The picture quality on this video isn't the best, but the sound quality is great and from what you can see of Alan, he was into his music and well loved by all, not just the Hitsville gang...but everyone.

Something that Alan did for me personally was play a song that is now one of biggest wants and one of my favorite songs: "Turn Out the Lights" by the Captions on Kayham. WOW! That record really knocked me out and Alan just seemed to have loads of 45s like this in his collection. Truly impeccable taste and a real gent just like everyone has said. I really wish that I could have known him to the extent of Dave Moore and some of the other Hitsvillers and Soul Sourcers but I'm thankful for the brief memories I do have. Meeting Judi and Alan's daughter was also a real pleasure and my deepest sympathies go out to them. The Pollards are some of the nicest people you'll meet and losing Alan is a real tragedy for the family and a major loss to the loving soul family he has also left behind.

R.I.P. Alan...we'll never forget you.

Enjoy the video!

-Jason

Social source share

Can't really add much more than what others have said and I only heard the news last night sat with Lizzie talking about how we wanted to go back out to Hitsville in Spain again this year.

I this link is a very fitting tribute to someone I only knew briefly ,but was well liked as a person and as a true "Soulie"

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan gill

Social source share

In 2007 it was uncertain that Alan Pollard was coming to the Hitsville weekender, but after the announcement of the Dynodynamics/Harthon guys being the guests of honor, he made the journey across to the Uinited States despite his health conditions. Being able to have him at the event was a real privilege and his records were top notch. I'm very thankful that I captured some of his set with my video camera. In the beginning, you see Weldon A. McDougal III enjoying one of his records being played by Alan. The picture quality on this video isn't the best, but the sound quality is great and from what you can see of Alan, he was into his music and well loved by all, not just the Hitsville gang...but everyone.

Something that Alan did for me personally was play a song that is now one of biggest wants and one of my favorite songs: "Turn Out the Lights" by the Captions on Kayham. WOW! That record really knocked me out and Alan just seemed to have loads of 45s like this in his collection. Truly impeccable taste and a real gent just like everyone has said. I really wish that I could have known him to the extent of Dave Moore and some of the other Hitsvillers and Soul Sourcers but I'm thankful for the brief memories I do have. Meeting Judi and Alan's daughter was also a real pleasure and my deepest sympathies go out to them. The Pollards are some of the nicest people you'll meet and losing Alan is a real tragedy for the family and a major loss to the loving soul family he has also left behind.

R.I.P. Alan...we'll never forget you.

Enjoy the video!

-Jason

Great post mate...

Alans played the Captions for me a couple of times, one of the greatest soul tunes i have ever heard.. Haunting and deep.. Yes Mr Pollard a man with true soul..

respect..

Social source share

Alan Pollard - All round 'Gud Bloke'.

Alan was the first guy to ask me about starting The Hitsville Soul Club. Our reasoning was that 'chinstokers' (of which were proud to be described), had started to get a bad name and we always felt that the music should be a thing that brought people together as opposed to making people more devisive, which we felt was happening. So...cut a long story short, we decided that we would invite other collectors who we knew enjoyed each others company, collected records and people who knew how to have a good time to join us. I'm proud to say that...that ethos blossomed and that was due in large part to Alan and other peoples committment, not just to the music but to the artists and each other.

At these sad times people who know me know my philosophy....I tend to concentrate on the positive legacy that people leave behind and in Alan's case that's easy to do. Music played a large part in Al's life and when I told him that the Harthon Trio were 'inbound' to Florida a few years ago and that we were gonna put them in a room with us for the afternoon for Q/A sessions, he didn't think he would make it. He wasn't well at all and he was devastated. Well guess what?.....His family rallied round him, Judi coaxed me into convincing,(bullying), him to make the trip, and his daughter came along to help Judi over the weekend. It was physically a difficult trip for Al. He'd just started to need a wheelchair and it hurt him. At one stage I was concerned that we'd done the wrong thing. But....as Alan and I placed the Harthon guys in a massive limousine, stuffed envelopes with some cash that we'd raised into their pockets and despatched them back to the airport for their Business Class flights home, having seen the unashamed glee on their faces at having their talents finally recognised by 'in the flesh' fans. Al's demeanour changed. His face was a picture. We'd finally done it. We'd enjoyed the company of a trio of guys who we'd admired as youngsters from afar and had actually become their friends! As we used to say to each other on a regular basis "Who'da thunk it!" Al's words as I pushed him back to the hotel coffee bar to reflect on the trip will sit with me for ever. "Dave...no doubt about it. That was the highlight of my soul musical life. We did a good thing!"

Well Al....I've done a lot of things in terms of my soul musical life and buddy, I'm with you....It really WAS the highlight of my musical life too! Partly because it was the Harthon guys but mainly because I got to share it all with people like you.

Al was the kinda guy that celebrated the fact that YOU had just found that long time want! He felt good for YOU! A true record collector with a passion for soul music of all descriptions.

It's a soul site and I'll stick to soul related memories in respect of Alan here, but if I had to some up my feelings for Alan Pollard, dedicated family man, hard working, straight talking, soul music lover, it would be this.....I was extremely proud to call him my friend.

Bet he's sifting though St Michaels' sales boxes as we speak! Keep the White Demos to one side for me Al! Rest easy Mucker.....it's over....sleep tight.....and CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB EXTREMELY WELL DONE.

Well done Dave - you've just had me in tears reading this and I ain't even had me breakfast yet....!!! A truly loving and thoughful post...

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Sad news indeed. Alan was a popular figure as this thread bears testament to. I remember him playing some really engaging sets at the Greatstone.

Best wishes to his family.

richard

Social source share

Very sad to hear this news about Alan, I first met Alan when he came to my office on the St. Asaph Business park when he came across to pick up some records he had bought off me, we had a laugh as I was working in Manchester Airport at the time and he was working out of St. Asaph we said we should being doing each others job to save on the travel. A few months later Alan decided to relocate to North Wales to save on the travelling each day from the North West, we met up a few times over the coming months usually when he was picking up a few tasty tunes off me. I knew he had been ill for a few years, he was in hospital the same time as my partner Sue a couple of years back and after visiting Sue, I used to go and spend a few minutes with Alan, I would take a soul mag in for him to read, later when he got a little better he started to get out a little visiting me at my new venture Funkyfeet Record Shop in Rhyl. Alan was one of the first to buy the Heeey Baby Days of Beach Music book from the shop he also started to attend a few local soul nights, this is such a shock R.I.P Alan you were a real gentleman.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!