50Th Birthday Conundrum

Hi there - 50th birthday on Jan 5th and I've persuaded the wife to get me a 50 year old 45. That's where I need a bit of help - I can't come up with anything extra special that I know for sure is 1960 - any inspired thoughts out there ? or just old people with good memories....

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Had a similar puzzle recently when deciding on a prezzie from my wife for my 40th birthday.

I was thinking along the same lines as yourself (a 40 year old chunk of vinyl) which meant looking for records pressed in 1969

but decided in the end to go for a record that really means something special to me.

In my case it was Frank Beverly & The Butlers "If That's What You Wanted", the tune that turned me on to all this madness and one of those records

that i always left on the long finger.

This train of thought may be helpful if you can't find a 50 year old record that you REALLY want.

Best of luck and early birthday wishes (hope you get what you're looking for!). :sleep3:

Social source share

Hi there - 50th birthday on Jan 5th and I've persuaded the wife to get me a 50 year old 45. That's where I need a bit of help - I can't come up with anything extra special that I know for sure is 1960 - any inspired thoughts out there ? or just old people with good memories....

Depends on your tastes, but if it was me it would be a 1st issue of Barrett Strong - Money on Tamla.

If that wasn't a record that changed the world for the better then I'll go to the top of our stairs..

Best.. :sleep3:

Social source share

Thanks for the ideas chaps....I think its gonnna be hard to get 1960 and something I want....so taking soulboys advice I have my eye on Melvin Davis I must Love You.......or Steve Flanagan I've Arrived..the lyrics just seem to fit and I can see me having a little jig on the day...... :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

buy your self a 1960 bottle o whiskyyto go with the melvin davis,infact buy 2 bottles

save one for your 60th then sell it to buy the soul record you want then

happy birthday when it comes

Social source share

major lance's first record phyllis on mercury from 1960 is fantastic

Social source share

I think the 1960 bottle of whisky is a good shout, and by the end of it I'll convince ''her indoors'' that buying a ''want'' is the done thing for every birthday - on a more sober note, I can't find a soundclip of either the Fabulous Monograms or the Major Lance...I'm kinda curious on both now...

Social source share

I think the 1960 bottle of whisky is a good shout, and by the end of it I'll convince ''her indoors'' that buying a ''want'' is the done thing for every birthday - on a more sober note, I can't find a soundclip of either the Fabulous Monograms or the Major Lance...I'm kinda curious on both now...

Both sides of the fantastic Major Lance 45 are on the recent Ace CD "Birth of Soul - Chicago soul special" (in my opinion their best release this year). Take a listen to that then search for the 45

John Marriott

Social source share

Managed to listen to both sounds - one on an internet radio clip and one on JM's rarest of the rare as suggested - have to say I liked the FM's better than the Major - but I don't think I can shell out that kinda money (even if I could find one ) for something that I am not sure will grow on me - so I'll keep hunting and thanks for the tips so far - got to hear a couple of sounds I would never have heard otherwise... good.gif

Social source share

One follow-up..... it seems Barrett Strong - Money was released on Tamla in August 1959, became a hit in 1960, and was licensed to Anna for release in 1960... I was very tempted by it but a slight downer that Tamla is 1959 - such a nicer label than Anna..... :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of the Tamla ''stripey'' label and the Tamla plainer label with the single globe are both the same year ?

Social source share

HAWAII FIVE O

Geordie birthday songlaugh.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!