The Nombres - What´s Going On - Lorain Sound 8932

Hi to all,

Im searching info about this band...I got the the record in Lorain Sound Records "Todos", a very good records of modern/latin in the same way of "Jelly".

"Listen"

And well, todays searchin more info about this band in the web page of "Ohio Soul Recordings" I´ve seen this band recorded after an a 45¨ called "Whats going on" it´s the same of Marvin Gaye??? Any know how sounds this??? Audio?? Rare?? Price???

Thanks to all and sorry for my F**** bad english!

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

the Nombres aka Willie and the Nombres aka 7 Nombres were Latino guys from Lorain, OH, a working class city on the shore of Lake Erie about 40 miles west of downtown Cleveland. They put out 7-8 45s and an LP between 1970 and 1979. "What's Going On" is from 1978, I don't remember what it was, just not anything I would want to listen to often. They recorded a few songs more than once. I think their best record is their 1st and rarest 45 "Listen People" on Day-Wood. Day-Wood co-founder Bob Davis was their 'manager' and set up Beth records as a D-W 'subsidiary' (I use quotes because these operations were strictly back of the envelope stuff).

Info on some of their pressings can be found here:

https://www.buckeyebeat.com/bounty.html

Later tonight I can post the Nombres discography

Social source share

FANTASTIC STUFF LOVE THE TRACK -LOOK FORWARD TO THE INFORMATION!!!

BAZ A

the Nombres aka Willie and the Nombres aka 7 Nombres were Latino guys from Lorain, OH, a working class city on the shore of Lake Erie about 40 miles west of downtown Cleveland. They put out 7-8 45s and an LP between 1970 and 1979. "What's Going On" is from 1978, I don't remember what it was, just not anything I would want to listen to often. They recorded a few songs more than once. I think their best record is their 1st and rarest 45 "Listen People" on Day-Wood. Day-Wood co-founder Bob Davis was their 'manager' and set up Beth records as a D-W 'subsidiary' (I use quotes because these operations were strictly back of the envelope stuff).

Info on some of their pressings can be found here:

https://www.buckeyebeat.com/bounty.html

Later tonight I can post the Nombres discography

Social source share

Here's what I have for info, the three records with * I have not verified in person, they were passed to me via other people or paperwork, so they may not be accurate. Willie Marquez and Pepe Rivera were the two main members and wrote their songs. One of them is deceased, I can't remember details. The LP contains the remade versions of songs on the early 45s. Lou Ragland arranged the 1st 7 Nombres 45.

Listen People / Full Of Love (Day-Wood 701, Boddie 7016) 1970 credited to the 7 Nombres

Cold Wine (Part 1) / Loving You (Beth 7102, Boddie 7160) 1971

Trivialities / Todos (Beth 101, Boddie 7204) 1972

*Cold Wine / Just Call Me (Lorain Sound 7341) 1973

Trivialities / Todos (Lorain Sound 790) c. 1979, different recordings

*Soft Summer Nite / Loving You (Lorain Sound no #) 1977? (different recording of Loving You) credited to Willie and the Nombres

*Write a Better Song / You Got My World In Your Hands (Lorain Sound no #) 1979?

What's Going On / Soft Summer Nite (Lorain Sounds 8932) 1978

LP - Los Nombres (Lorain Sound no #) 1978 credited to Willie and the Nombres

- George

Edited by George G
Social source share

I have it, But play the other side TRIVIALITIES...GREAT TUNE. I thought it was out of Texas, but probably wrong. Got it of Brett Koshkin.

No one seems to know it.

LORAIN 790.

best

Paul

Paul,

there are two recorded versions of this song as I've posted in my not 100% complete discography. I got mine from a store in the band's hometown shades.gif It's still available in the US. I also once found about 15-20 copies of the first issue of Trivialities with mildew damage, at a discount store back in the Lorain area that used to have 100s of soul cutout LPs and 45s...wicked.gif

- George

Social source share

• 2 years later...
Guest Sean Marquez

Hi to all,

Im searching info about this band...I got the the record in Lorain Sound Records "Todos", a very good records of modern/latin in the same way of "Jelly".

"Listen"

And well, todays searchin more info about this band in the web page of "Ohio Soul Recordings" I´ve seen this band recorded after an a 45¨ called "Whats going on" it´s the same of Marvin Gaye??? Any know how sounds this??? Audio?? Rare?? Price???

Hi to all,

"Listen"

Paul,

there are two recorded versions of this song as I've posted in my not 100% complete discography. I got mine from a store in the band's hometown :shades: It's still available in the US. I also once found about 15-20 copies of the first issue of Trivialities with mildew damage, at a discount store back in the Lorain area that used to have 100s of soul cutout LPs and 45s... :wicked:

- George

Social source share

Guest Sean Marquez

Ok for all of you out there wondering about my fathers music he has a 45 that is called "you got my world in your hands" and is really rare but is one of his better ones. I grew up on his music going to the studios when he recorded and went to most of his shows (i was to young to go to some). He passed away in august of 2007. He made a total of 3 albums including a song called Lady Lorain.

There is so much to say about him that it would take me a very long time so if you have any questions just ask and i'll try to answer them.

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!