Rhythm Rascals On Sonic - Ever Played?

Pete S

I bought this blind a couple of weeks back, THE RHYTHM RASCALS (WITH BEBBIE BOY BUTCH) - GIRL BY MY SIDE / WHY DO YOU HAVE TO GO - SONIC 117. has this ever been played? Side 1 is an uptempo dancer with shades of The Blendels "You need love" in the chorus while side 2 is a beautiful soulful downtempo/beat ballad which is a cross between I Do Love You and No Time For You. Blown away by both sides, seriously, even if it turns out to be a 5 quid cheapie.

Social source share

Came out on Roulette as well. The beat ballad side has the same backing as the flip to the Soul Communicators on Fee Bee "please don't go". Think the group was somehow connected to Fee Bee and/or Chuck Corby??

I think you are spot on as it does say Fee bee in the run off groove.

Social source share

Guest Dark Horse

I bought this blind a couple of weeks back, THE RHYTHM RASCALS (WITH BEBBIE BOY BUTCH) - GIRL BY MY SIDE / WHY DO YOU HAVE TO GO - SONIC 117. has this ever been played? Side 1 is an uptempo dancer with shades of The Blendels "You need love" in the chorus while side 2 is a beautiful soulful downtempo/beat ballad which is a cross between I Do Love You and No Time For You. Blown away by both sides, seriously, even if it turns out to be a 5 quid cheapie.

Couldn't agree with you more!! Pete always rated this,great double sider,thought I was the only onesmile.gif.Am sure Girl by my side is also the backing track to Chuck Corby on Fee Bee,think it's called Baby I need you(Red Label/Black writing) notice that on the Sonic copy it has Sonic records,Hollywood,anyone know anything about the label?
Social source share

I have added by sides of the above mentioned record so people can have a listen,not sure what happened to the text on the "why do you have to go" clip i just edited it and it went funny but i think it still plays.

Anyway a great double sider which i have had for years and always loved,for me the "why do you have to go" side does it for me more and liked mentioned earlier it shares the same backing and vocally similar to soul communicaters "please don't go" on fee bee and i just noticed that the rhythm rascals is a febe music tune.

Enjoy folks and thanks Pete for reminding me about this tune :yes:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I have added by sides of the above mentioned record so people can have a listen,not sure what happend to the text on the "why do you have to go" clip i just edited it and it went funny but i think it still plays.

Anyway a great double sider which i have had for years and always loved,for me the "why do you have to go" side does it for me more and liked mentioned earlier it shares the same backing and vocally similar to soul communicaters "please don't go" on fee bee and i just noticed that the rhythm rascals is a febe music tune.

Enjoy folks and thanks pete for reminding me about this tune :yes:

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Couldn't agree with you more!! Pete always rated this,great double sider,thought I was the only onesmile.gif.Am sure Girl by my side is also the backing track to Chuck Corby on Fee Bee,think it's called Baby I need you(Red Label/Black writing) notice that on the Sonic copy it has Sonic records,Hollywood,anyone know anything about the label?

Got the Chuck Corby on Fee Bee (119) it's called "I need your love", exactly the same as Rhythm Rascals on Roulette.

Chuck also recorded "Complete opposites" which came out on Chess, also came out on Sonic under another artist name. Got to double check whether this is the same as Chuck Corby, or him under another name.

So the connection with Fee Bee looks about right.

Social source share

Got the Chuck Corby on Fee Bee (119) it's called "I need your love", exactly the same as Rhythm Rascals on Roulette.

Chuck also recorded "Complete opposites" which came out on Chess, also came out on Sonic under another artist name. Got to double check whether this is the same as Chuck Corby, or him under another name.

Rhythm Rascals is, according to the soul harmony singles book:

Jerry Hilton

Cleveland "Butch" Martin

Earl Thompson

Robert Thompson

Jim Mitchell (bass)

Formerly the R&B group the Diadems and, except for mitchell, later of the Del Vikings on Fee Bee. It doesn't mention this but Jerry Hilton was obviously in jerry hilton and Gentle Rain.

Social source share

wasnt by the rythmm rascals on roulette though i do have both they are exactly the same so they probably just had a name change for the national release.

mark

i know what it was that threw me i also had the chuck corby and at the same time thats what made me think of different group names, Rythmm Rascals did get a listing in Ian Levines rarest of the rare.

mark

Social source share

Guest Dark Horse

Thats the one Martyn,Fee Bee 119 alway's gettin' me titles mixed up!!

Regards,Arthur.

Social source share

i know what it was that threw me i also had the chuck corby and at the same time thats what made me think of different group names, Rythmm Rascals did get a listing in Ian Levines rarest of the rare.

mark

Still a £40 record on the rarest label and about £20 tops on rouletteg.gif

Social source share

Scottish soulie mid-tempo connisseurs will remember this from the mid 80s, 'Why...' a tape swapper fave! though been around before that by what Sean says. Affordable/overlooked, everybody should have one, 'Why do you have to go' defo the superior side - this record is SUBLIME, in fact a lot like Bobby Samsom on Sublime!

I'm sure I heard someone play this out at Morely Carr...

Mark

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

'Why do you have to go' defo the superior side - this record is SUBLIME, in fact a lot like Bobby Samsom on Sublime!

I'm sure I heard someone play this out at Morely Carr...

Mark

As good as it is Mark (and it really is good) it's poor compared to the Soul Communicators "Please don't go"

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Still a £40 record on the rarest label and about £20 tops on rouletteg.gif

Thought Chuck Corby was worth double, and not as easy to come by as Rhythm Rascals.

Let me know if you see one for that price?

Social source share

Thought Chuck Corby was worth double, and not as easy to come by as Rhythm Rascals.

Let me know if you see one for that price?

Nev is pretty much spot on with his prices imo Martyn.

On saying that I've got an Ex copy of the Rhythm Rascals on Roulette for £10 if anybody wants it.... :wicked:

P.S. Why does 'Rhythm' get spelt wrong so often on this site :(

Social source share

• 10 years later...

Just come across this topic. Have had both Chuck Corby (Fee Bee) and Rhythm Rascals (Sonic) for years and to my ears Chuck Corby has trumpet/horns in backing whilst Rhythm Rascals has saxophone. Also Rhythm Rascals does not have as much base.

Couldn’t choose between them as I think both versions are great.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!