help! whats this tamla goodie?

So I'm in a restaurant in Brum last night and the background music is quite good soul, jazz funk etc.

Anyway in a sandwich between James Brown and Bob and Earl this Motown thing comes on that I've never heard before and it just floored me. Lovely, lovely song. But what the hell is it? No point asking in the restaurant.

Can't give you many clues I'm afraid but here goes...

Its a girl with girl backing vocals... or a girl group.

Would be mid sixties definitely.

It's upper mid tempo - not a stomper.

Its got lovely strings.

Here's the only worthwhile clue... towards the end I heard the lead vocal sing the line "eternally"... it was at a key moment... the track had almost left her in the clear, but I dont think that was the title. And no it wasn't the Charmaines track.

She had a lovely light voice... More Brenda than Gladys. Could almost be a latter day Marvelettes

I would say definitely Motown top to bottom and certainly was not a big hit.

Help! I must track this song down its absolutely bloody gorgeous!

Ravings of a mad man over. HELP!

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

So I'm in a restaurant in Brum last night and the background music is quite good soul, jazz funk etc.

Anyway in a sandwich between James Brown and Bob and Earl this Motown thing comes on that I've never heard before and it just floored me.  Lovely, lovely song. But what the hell is it?  No point asking in the restaurant.

Can't give you many clues I'm afraid but here goes...

Its a girl with girl backing vocals... or a girl group.

Would be mid sixties definitely. 

It's upper mid tempo - not a stomper. 

Its got lovely strings.

Here's the only worthwhile clue... towards the end I heard the lead vocal sing the line "eternally"... it was at a key moment... the track had almost left her in the clear, but I dont think that was the title.  And no it wasn't the Charmaines track.

She had a lovely light voice... More Brenda than Gladys.  Could almost be a latter day Marvelettes

I would say definitely Motown top to bottom and certainly was not a big hit. 

Help! I must track this song down its absolutely bloody gorgeous!

Ravings of a mad man over.  HELP!

Bloody Hell! Your brave going to restaurants in Brum!!

Was it Mr Egg? (the restaurant not the song)

Jodie (Brum)

Social source share

Maybe you should have refused to pay the Bill until you found out who it was.

Could be an undiscovered Acetate that only the restaurant owner has, maybe he'll sell it for a fiver !.

I heard a motwnesque record a while back, that bugged me for ages, I was convinced it was Kim Weston. Turned out to be The Ad libs...Knocking at my heart...( Unissued ) of course !. Bloody brilliant record.

John

Social source share

Jodie

Chuckling here... it wasn't Mr. Egg... but theres no cheaper breckie in Brum. Essential after a hard nights clubbin! Actually it was Red Peppers at the mailbox. Tabitha I think I might go back... it was such a perfect track.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Dayo

The one track that instantly springs to mind is Tammi Terrell's 'Come on and see me'. The lyric line goes 'cos I've got joy love, for some boy love, and it can be yours eternally'.

Fabulous track - although it may well not be the one you heard. If you don't know it check it out at Soul Club on

https://the.soulclub.org/

Hope this helps - but I may be well off the mark.

Brian

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Dayo

Superb - glad to be of help.

As you say an absolutely gorgeous track - makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up! And the really good news is that you should be able to pick it up for little more than £15 on Motown.

Tammi Terrell is one of my fave Motown singers. Her 'Come on and see me' and 'Tears at the end of a love affair' tracks being absolutely stunning records.

Brian

Social source share

another big Tammi fan here, her first track for motown remains one of my all time tracks 'I can't Believe You Love Me' which you still can purchase at a reasonable price.

adios amigos

pedro

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!