Loughborough And Blackburn Videos

Finally got around to putting my old VHS tapes onto DVD and will eventually post the videos up once I've got them down to a smaller file size....hope to complete tonight so bear with me...just trying to find some free suitable software to do it!

The videos are both from the 80's from the a certain well known public service broadcater. One off Midlands today (local news spot) at Loughborough Town Hall Allnighter (just after my 2 fav nighters had closed I think - Oddfellows at Leicester and TOTW Stafford) I remember going a few times, nice venue as I remember but only lasted a couple of years. The video chronicals the Northern Soul CESC vicar Rev Tony Clayton.

The other is The Old Grey Whistle Test at Blackburn, I assume at Tony's Empress Ballroom although I went there a few times in late 80's it's all a bit of a blur (I wonder why rolleyes.gif ) But have to say it's probably the best video rendition of what the scene is all about, be it not perfect (especially bloody Mick Hucknall comaparing it to the early punk scene ffs, did try to edit him out but thought leave it in to stir some feeback lol)

Anyway enough of my ramblings, Thought I'd give you a taster as I've mangeed to capture some images from said videos which like I said I hope to post up later.

The pictures from Loughborough Include a young Ali Mayer and even younger Alan Walls! (both top DJ's in my opinion at the time. Respect to Alan for the long trip south so many times too!! ) Even Rob Smith looks younger! whistling.gif

Alan Walls still DJ'ing?

By the way apologies if they are already on youtube as I couldn't find em! Will post videos asap! Jonzy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loughborough Stills

1.jpgHe was 50 then and we all thought that was really old laugh.gif

2.jpg

3.jpgBet you can guess the record (sugarhill label) laugh.gif

4.jpgNice shot of the record bar and a certain Mr Smith!

5.jpgWhy was Adam always on before me at Leicester?

6.jpgMr Smith smiling! So was I as probably bought a fav record for £2!

7.jpgOh so young Mr Walls!

8.jpgIs this you?

it's time for the Blackburn Vid stills:

1.jpg We were all so young!

2.jpg Take me up to the top of the stairs - to depart with my fiver!

3.jpg Mr Hennigan smokin! having a ciggie too!

4.jpg dancefloor

5.jpg Still smokin!

6.jpg records before the internet!

7.jpg wonder who this is looking happy? wink.gif

8.jpg Dynamic soul duo?

9.jpg 8am and not happy

10.jpg Ciggie outside...it was voluntary then!

11.jpg Bit lighter now I've sold a few

12.jpg And finally....So tell me am I right is it Tony's Empress Ballroom...like I said it's all a blur!

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sorted! thumbup.gif

Put it on the tube for now but will post on refo asap too,

No rush for Blackburn Whistle Test vid as already on refo but will do as my seems a bit better quality (as per Mike's post)

Love the quote "records can change hands for as much as £130"...god I wish! lol

Loughborough

Better quality Blackburn video!

Mark "Jonzy" Jones

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Guest proudlove

thumbsup.gif Was at Blackburn that night with the Scottish Mafia , living in Preston at the time, Tony's was a great allnighter on my doorstep , happy days ,

8AM and not happy?----------I think Ronnies not happy about the camera......................................................

Is the next frame when he tells the camera man what where and how?

Social source share

8AM and not happy?----------I think Ronnies not happy about the camera......................................................

Is the next frame when he tells the camera man what where and how?

Hopefully find out when I get this video shrunk! :chinstroke:

Doing my best guys and girls and won't be satisfied 'til it's sorted!!

By the way can I post directly in refrosoul (as never tried uploading video) or do I need to post on the tube?

bit concerned about the tube as regards copyright!

If not on refro or youtube I'll post on my own webspace should I need to!

so to our communal knowledge are these vids already on the web somwhere?

Social source share

Hopefully find out when I get this video shrunk! :chinstroke:

By the way can I post directly in refrosoul (as never tried uploading video) or do I need to post on the tube?

You should be able to post them up in the 'Soul Video/Radio Source' part of the Refosoul forum. However, having said that, I tried to post up a .FLV file last week and it said you couldn't upload that particular type of file. I know you can / could, perhaps it's just been switched off for the time being. Mike?

They were on a DVD comp a few years ago, so I image the answer is probably yes

Social source share

refosoul should take them ok

it should take flv as well

aint tested it for a while video wise but will do shortly

clips of the blackburn one is up there

that was a direct from tv video by myself at the time but was encoded a while back when size and quality were less impressive

going by the stills yours seems a lot better quality

there are bits of the stafford one 3 or 4 (or more) generation copies in refosoul

the chasing rainbow series was availalble recently on btvision, so there should be digital type quality clips around but aint seen any online

i got it again off that but aint uploaded

but again your stills seem very good quality

most video clips inc soem of above can be found here

https://www.soul-sour...oul/label/video

Social source share

refosoul should take them ok

it should take flv as well

aint tested it for a while video wise but will do shortly

clips of the blackburn one is up there

that was a direct from tv video by myself at the time but was encoded a while back when size and quality were less impressive

going by the stills yours seems a lot better quality

there are bits of the stafford one 3 or 4 (or more) generation copies in refosoul

the chasing rainbow series was availalble recently on btvision, so there should be digital type quality clips around but aint seen any online

i got it again off that but aint uploaded

but again your stills seem very good quality

most video clips inc soem of above can be found here

https://www.soul-sour...oul/label/video

Cheers Mike,

Will put them both up on refosoul although devastated I'm not the first as took me 15 hours to get from VHS to PVR to DVD to PC to divx!! sad.gif lol

But like you say quality a bit better so hopefully worth the effort! yes.gif

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Cheers Mike,

Will put them both up on refosoul although devastated I'm not the first as took me 15 hours to get from VHS to PVR to DVD to PC to divx!! sad.gif lol

But like you say quality a bit better so hopefully worth the effort! yes.gif

was just thinking about when first put them up and sure that the original transfer from vid must have been over 10 years ago

so be great seeing em in better quality on here

just tested uploading with flv and mp4 and seems fine

may be better to convert them to flv first as the encoder shouldnt encode them if in that format

that way you can suss out the best settings, size and will stay the same

32mb is uploading limit

if any probs with uploading give us a pm and can do it another way

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Christ on a bike! :ohmy:

I actually remember that quite clearly. Tony collared me and more or less shoved me in front of the camera, despite me having just honked up a right old rip snorter of 'phet, and said something like "oh, just say something nice about me". I'm waffling like a loon because I thought that by answering the question exactly ("what do you think makes him such a good dj?") I might appear to be in control!

Like falling into a manhole you can see 20 yards away, I knew I was careering away towards Tangent Central, but I couldn't help it. "His ability to get his 'sermon' voice over...uncluttered" - what? I'm rattling on about microphone technique! Brain thinking 3 responses, mouth emitting an unrealted 4th. It went on for ages, too, there's at least another 2 minutes that semed like hours. Think yourselves lucky you were spared that...

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest souljack

Hopefully find out when I get this video shrunk! g.gif

yes the blackburn video of tonys is on you tube if you find ace spectrum live and learn you will see it ,cheers

Social source share

Guest daz mycroft

Yes it was Tony's .thumbup.gif

what happend to the melba moore track in the blakburn vid , massive in the eightes dead ever since, best itro ever i think

Social source share

Tony Clayton was a local legend to us Granthamites..... many sunday afternoons spent at his vicarage talkin nonsense and playin a few tunes. i even remember us setting up his PA and having an impromptu afternoon session in a tiny village hall laugh.gif . Also lugging his gear up them bloody stairs at Oddfellows in Leicester before (and after) a niter ! He's a nice chap, always has a chat to me about old friends on or off the scene.

those mid 80's clips are ace, don't we all wish we still had 30" waists and hair :lol::thumbup: . thanks for posting, great stuff .

IAN

Social source share

what happend to the melba moore track in the blakburn vid , massive in the eightes dead ever since, best itro ever i think

I play it now and then when I get the chance, last time Boxing day nighter at Radcliffe and it packed the floor, one of best records ever!!!!

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Christ on a bike! ohmy.gif

I actually remember that quite clearly. Tony collared me and more or less shoved me in front of the camera, despite me having just honked up a right old rip snorter of 'phet, and said something like "oh, just say something nice about me". I'm waffling like a loon because I thought that by answering the question exactly ("what do you think makes him such a good dj?") I might appear to be in control!

Like falling into a manhole you can see 20 yards away, I knew I was careering away towards Tangent Central, but I couldn't help it. "His ability to get his 'sermon' voice over...uncluttered" - what? I'm rattling on about microphone technique! Brain thinking 3 responses, mouth emitting an unrealted 4th. It went on for ages, too, there's at least another 2 minutes that semed like hours. Think yourselves lucky you were spared that...

that made me laugh bud :thumbsup:

jason

Social source share

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is it Phil's sister? Not sure? Memory a bit vague...

7.jpg wonder who this is looking happy? wink.gif

Edited by marge
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!