Billboard Magazins In Google Books - Nice One

Benji

As you may know Google did start to scan as many books and magazines as possible and uploaded all their scans to the internet (books.google.com).

Earlier today I did a Google search for Kenny Carter I've got to find her on RCA. One of the very first links I got as result was for April 2, 1966 issue of the Billboard magazine. (Click here, you have to enlarge the scan to see everything).

In that issue the following records are "predicted to reach the Hot 100 chart":

Kenny Carter - I've got to find her

Frances Nero - Keep on lovin me

Emanuel Lasky - I'm a peace loving man

Roger & The Gypsies - Pass the hatchet

Don't think any of them made it to the Hot 100 did they? :thumbsup:

Further down the scan there was the Hot 100 chart as at April 2, 1966. It did include some surprises (at least surprise to me) as I didn't know they charted at all:

Outsiders - Time won't let me

Slim Harpo - Baby scratch my back

Tim Tam & Turn Ons - Wait a minute

And check out the Golden World ad on page 15!

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This is a really great feature that google have introduced (discussed in a thread earlier this year)

You're right Benji, makes very informative and interesting reading for us anoraks.

Off to check page 15 while the Mrs is glued to Strictly Come On Me Face! (no pun intended but I'll take it tongue.gif)

ATB :thumbsup:

Edited by ClearVinyl
Social source share

Great stuff, just spent a happy hour going through it... and looking at the 1966 Detroit top 40, 4 Motown & 3 Golden World/Ric Tic. No wonder BG had a bee in his bonnet re moonlighting staff !!

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I would say that it's a great feature and Billboard is actually one of the best magazines out there for music. They are so good with information and have a talente team who work there arse off every day and week to compile books for all the billboard charts

i have collections of them and they include a biography on every artist who ever made the charts in America be it R & B, hot 100, dance/dico, top 200 albums, country etc. some get a line some get a few lines all depends really and is a good source of information. they like to inform when people die too and give a list of those who passed away at end of year with notes sometimes there American chart hits listed

Social source share

Probably isn't hugely significant but I see that these Billboard mags are on the German Google website:

https://books.google.de

MB

The link I posted starts with books.google.de because I get redirected to german Google automatically whenever I type in books.google.com. Doesn't make any difference at all if you're using books.google.com or books.google.co.uk or whatever. All the same...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!