Bishops Wood Nighter

Guest sandi

Seeing nobody yet has made a comment about lastnights quality music delivery from all the d.j.'s, l need to report on what would of been an excellent night spent on the dance floor for probably most the night, and l don't say that lightly, it's not very often l do that nowadays, not because l can't keep up with the pace any more, but because more times than least l consider some d.j sets to be a bit up and down and don't always flow.....and l do make a comment to whichever d.j. is the offender, comments like "eh how does this follow the one you just played!!!!!", just a matter of maybe lack of thinking about consistancy, l really believe some just give up trying, and some just don't give a shit about trying, and you can tell the ones who don't care because their body language and facial expression just shout out how bored they are, to me thats wasting my money, paying to get in to enjoy the night only to finish up outside most of it, smoking fag after fag to eleviate the boredom signal they omit around the venues, if they have lost that passion and only come to play their spot take the money(undeserved in a lot of cases)and fook off straight after(excluding d.j.s who might have two bookings on the same night), then in my opinion and from conversations with other like minded soulies then l think they should leave the building and play their records at home like we have to do, because these one's don't like the idea of someone fresh coming along and showing them up, by having the paying punter in mind, reading the crowd and dance floor and playing for them, it's about time the scene had a bloody good shake up, l'll do the job if you want, or maybe another upfront female with a love and passion for music that they hope in vain will be played keep them supporting local venues.......................it aint gonna happen folks in our area they are well and truely stuck by superglue in the past, there is nothing wrong with good classic oldies and some over played stuff, yet even the dino's amongst us moan occasionally about the repetativeness of the sets, however they don't say it loud enough, cus they don't want to upset the apple cart and hurt the poor d.j.'s feelings, l on the other hand sometimes would love to fling the apple cart at the d.j. because l'm damn sure he dont give a crap about damaging my ears and not to mention insult my intelligence by assuming that "true soulies only have a limited range to what they know, in some cases that might be true and they may well be happier that a pig in muck to remain that way forever, NOT ME OH NO I PAY MY HARD EARNED MONEY AND QUALITY IS WHAT I AM....NOT ASKING FOR, DONE THAT FOR YEARS WITH NO JOY, I'M BLOODY WELL DEMANDING IT, AND WILL KEEP ON THE DEMAND UNTIL CERTAIN LAZY D.J.'S SIT UP AND LISTEN, HEY THE OPTION TO D.J. SHOULD BE ESTABLISHED, STOP BEING COMPLACENT, OR SHOVE OFF AND GIVE SOMEONE ELSE A CHANCE, HEY AND GET THIS MOST WOULD LOVE THE OPPORTUNITY WITHOUT BEING PAYED, JUST FOR A CHANCE TO SET A NEW PRECIDENCE.... rant over, sorry needed to say that, yet look out look out there's a Sandi about, and some time soon in the new year l will be carrying on with my one women crusade, in ways that are in the pipeline and being scheduled........now on to finish what l started: l swear to god you have more enjoyment out of playing a game of predict the d.j. maybe we should consider getting a tournament cup for most predictable ,,Piss take yet really it does sound like a good idea.....and why should l not be allowed to take the piss without "fear" of being slated by the real Northern Soul you should only play 60's contingents, hey a sword for a sword, you lot have dominated and styled the scene for your own please for years , so l'm taking the piss for a change, because my range and taste is vast with love for great quality SOUL DANCE music all years catered for............:P. so put that in ya pipe and smoke it.

Enough of my soap box corner outburst, yet rest assured l'm not sorry lmean every word.

Back to the great night of just that SOUL music and for no extra charge QUALITY aswell, what more do we need, nowt just a little effort to carry on supporting the CLASS venues, that is exactly what we do, BISHOPS WOOD HAS EARN THE RIGHT TO BE CLASSED AMONGST THE OTHER CLASSY VENUES, LIFELINE, U.S.O.S. these are the only venues we support 100%, because these promoters have unblocked ears, so recognise quality with clarity. so if you are looking for venues that will save your SOUL these are highly recommended, and if you fancy a night of nostalgia, you wont be hard pressed to find somewhere that will be chugging it out, and thats absolutely fine, it's their genre and they make their choice, unfortunately they have not given me and many many other's who share my opinion the same considerating, l think l might actually present them with a statement for a full refund for all the years l supported them and they failed to provide, god it would cost them "lotsa money", plus compensation for cruelty to soulies who grew with the years. So when you try and work out the time span remaining for the soul scene, just be observant, study the form, performance, quailty, quantity of supporting punters and the attitude of the people who attend venues that have driven many a heart broken true lover of soul out into the cold, yet with hope , hard work and detemination to keep the Faith, then maybe it's not too late to draw once hardened faithful dedicated hardcore

nomadic nighter goes back to the fold... yet if not then me and harpo will be very happy to continue playing awesome music at home for as long as we lvfe, many however don't have the privilage of owning their own record collection, that to me is a violation ,crime and sin against those that truely love the music, no need to think about the disolvement of the scene from this side of the fence l'm standing on, its very much rooted to solid ground, and for some time to come it is growing into a healthy haven, the d.j.s are selected with some thought, as to supply a good assortment for all taste,s....yeah oldies too.....ooooh well l never, timeless oldies such as Rob Smith treated me to, yet these are not over played in our locality, in fact l can't remember when l heard two of his set played anywhere in years, Arin Domain "Silent treatment" it sounded so fresh...got a real buzz from dancing to that, and the other one played earlier in his set The New Wanderers "This Man In Love" and the night just carried on pumping out this type of dance music, Dave Rimmer played to a happy dance floor, Col and Gaye Kidson fantastic plays from them both, Dave Welding he is really a d,j. to be reckoned with at the moment, he's shit hot off the shovel and it seems to just keep him focused and on fire, it's breaking boundrys, stupid rules that mean nowt to me, and taboos about what can and can't be played. Hitler also was a dictator and look how far he got..eh !!!!.

Because of the other nights event's regarding Trevor, l can honestly say the music coming out of the main hall was some of the best played out in years, and Trevor went and pulled this stunt, yet his need was great then my selfish one to dance my feet off:unsure:, the fact still remains that l still heard the music yet l could'nt honestly tell who were playing or when , so do'nt think l've missed a mention for you, l heard you all, and loved every minute, thankyou guy's on such an eventful night the music was helping me to remain calm and focused helping a guy in trouble was less stressful due to the music quality.Not sure if Trevor would agree, l think it may well of added to his anxiety, poor Trev will be demanding a instant replay when he's out again.

I know you're all probably thinking shut up now, well l am, this would of been better posted on my blogg, but you must be mad if you think l'm typing all this again, so it stays.

Trevors illness last nite must of inspired me to sound off, and it's been a long time coming, next could be directed at those that have treated me with such contempt and show me no consideration, hey my apprenticeship gives me passage to make known publically that l'm extremely disappointed by some l once hold in high esteem, god knows why, with age come's wisdom, yet it seems to of overlooked many who l thought were genuine soulful people, well l'm ashamed to think that l once gave these ones some sort of loyalty, even admired them' now l'd be elated to push them in the mire.:rolleyes::thumbup: bye:wave:bye:wave: and merry christmas to you all.

SOULFUL SANDI DEFO END OF RANT, AND FEELING GREAT :shades:not_i.gifshout.gif

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Once again a big thanks to all the people who support us and to the DJ's who came Saturday night....and to those who didn't make it...sorry but you missed a cracker of a night, QUALITY QUALITY music all the way!!...... Yes it was a cold, damp, frosty night, but this was well worth the travel.

A special mention to Keith Money and the girls for travelling down from Dundee.... I hope you got back safe and well, I think that icy blast as you got out the car woke you up a bit..

Best wishes to Trev, I hope you are OK now. Shame your night ended the way it did, but there's always another night..Look after yourself and give us a call.

Also, not forgetting those people who aided Trev and a special mention to Mr Johnny Fingers - who followed Trev to the hospital and gave a report back on Trev's status.... Faith in humanity restored....

Not forgetting the gourmet buffet provided by the birthday boy - Paul and Yvonne Gould

Best wishes to all - from Col, Gaye, Elaine and Myself and a big thanks once again to those who have supported us since Oct 2007 and throughout 2009. We are back on in January 2010 with a Soul night and 5 x All Nighters starting in March

Guest gouldensoul

Really enjoyed Bishops Wood, the music was excellent. The dj's had put time & thought into their choice of records & it showed. Much appreciated.

The buffet was a nice gesture too, from the promoters I presume, so thanks to all four. And who made those mince pies? They were delicious good.gif

HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE MUSIC AS ALWAYS IT WAS A PLEASURE TO SPIN A FEW WITH LARRY

having crashed out for a couple of hours sunday and then to the ale house for a livener (the pedigree was on song again at bishops wood, thanks to johns efforts) i got home had lunch then woke up at about 6.00.whistling.gif

Oh well!thumbup.gif

whistling.gifwhat a GREAT NIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!good.gif

Just to say a big thanks to the Girls and the lads for yet ANOTHER BISHOPS WOOD ITS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER. WELL DONE YOU FOUR.XXXX.thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

BIG THANKS TO ALL FOR A GREAT BIRTHDAY BASH. I ENJOYED THE COMPANY AND IT WAS GOOD TO SEE A FEW OLD FACES.tongue.gif

BY THE WAY MINCE PIES BY SPECIAL REQUEST FROM ERIN DOORS Yvonne.shhh.gif

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND CU IN THE NEW YEARbiggrin.gif

Edited by gouldensoul

Really enjoyed Bishops Wood, the music was excellent. The dj's had put time & thought into their choice of records & it showed. Much appreciated.

The buffet was a nice gesture too, from the promoters I presume, so thanks to all four. And who made those mince pies? They were delicious good.gif

HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE MUSIC AS ALWAYS IT WAS A PLEASURE TO SPIN A FEW WITH LARRY

having crashed out for a couple of hours sunday and then to the ale house for a livener (the pedigree was on song again at bishops wood, thanks to johns efforts) i got home had lunch then woke up at about 6.00.whistling.gif

Oh well!thumbup.gif

whistling.gifwhat a GREAT NIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!good.gif

Just to say a big thanks to the Girls and the lads for yet ANOTHER BISHOPS WOOD ITS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER. WELL DONE YOU FOUR.XXXX.thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

BIG THANKS TO ALL FOR A GREAT BIRTHDAY BASH. I ENJOYED THE COMPANY AND IT WAS GOOD TO SEE A FEW OLD FACES.tongue.gif

BY THE WAY MINCE PIES BY SPECIAL REQUEST FROM ERIN DOORS Yvonne.shhh.gif

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND CU IN THE NEW YEARbiggrin.gif

OMG! I am so sorry. My friend Maria & I helped ourselves to your birthday buffet thinking it was a Christmas treat from the promoters swoon.gif

Was it you sat next to the table by any chance? I recall seeing someone close by, but honestly had no idea it was a private buffet. How embarrassing!

Please tell Yvonne her mince pies were the best we've ever stolen thumbup.gif & Happy belated Birthday to you.

Chris

Guest gouldensoul

OMG! I am so sorry. My friend Maria & I helped ourselves to your birthday buffet thinking it was a Christmas treat from the promoters swoon.gif

Was it you sat next to the table by any chance? I recall seeing someone close by, but honestly had no idea it was a private buffet. How embarrassing!

Please tell Yvonne her mince pies were the best we've ever stolen thumbup.gif & Happy belated Birthday to you.

Chris

tongue.gifchris

sorry my old mate they were there as my treat to all.

it was not a private buffet. LOLthumbup.gifwicked.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest SoulRenaissance

Just recovering after an enjoyable busy weekend.

Without adding any fuel to the fire, think we get where Sandi's coming from.

Glad to hear that much loved character Trevor is on the mend, the nighter scene wouldn't be the same without him. Wondered what had happened to Fingers and Harpo at the time?

Thanks to all involved for a great night, stayed right til the end. Something i rarely do these days. Although all the dj's played excellent and contrasting sets, thought Rob Smith's at the end was 100% quality. The man seems to have an endless supply of top tunes.

I'd also like to thank the promoters for the invitation to spin a few tunes, they were certainly taking a chance? Being somewhat a novice djing at these events, the order of the day was to ensure the dancefloor was reasonably busy throughout. The feedback from some on the night was appreciated.

Looking forward now to the run up till Xmas, with Stafford, Keele, etc.

Martyn

well I had a great time,,sorry to disappoint a few on my lack of fancy dress, I did put it on, and then did a complete turn around and decided not to wear it, as I did not want to offend anyone wicked.gif well Mr Money my legs are killing me, only you could make me dance to 5 tunes on the run, :thumbsup: such a classy set, thoroughly enjoyed the music, Dave Welding on top from as usual, the Buffet was adorable, and yummy , thanks baggy pants!picked up 3 brilliant tunes to add to my growing collection , what more could a girl ask for on a niter, only down side was poor Trevor being taken to hospital, but if you are gonna be poorly, is is not great to have good people round you like Elaine,johny Fingers, and sandi and Harpo, who came to the rescue, well done :shhh: great niter, great company, graet music, and sorry I have left my xmas cards on the table..sorry :)

Hi Folks

Really enjoyed Bishops Wood on Saturday as a allnighter this venue just gets better and better, the only down side was poor old Trevor but he'll be back, they breed 'em tough around Hinkley.

As for Sandi's post I'm glad I only bought her one pint of Lager and Black.whistling.gif

Mr Gould's buffet was very nice, perhaps a little less curry powder in the prawn kebabs next time, as this is being touted as the reason for Mace's severe flatulence.

So Seasons greetings to every one, and spare a thought for the poor and the needy this Christmas, especially Mace's wife and Kids who'll be cooped up with him on Christmas day after a plate of sprout's and chestnut stuffing.wicked.gif

Dave.W

Edited by Louise

Hi Folks

Really enjoyed Bishops Wood on Saturday as a allnighter this venue just gets better and better, the only down side was poor old Trevor but he'll be back, they breed 'em tough around Hinkley.

As for Sandi's post I'm glad I only bought her one pint of Lager and Black.whistling.gif

Mr Gould's buffet was very nice, perhaps a little less curry powder in the prawn kebabs next time, as this is being touted as the reason for Mace's severe flatulence.

So Seasons greetings to every one, and spare a thought for the poor and the needy this Christmas, especially Mace's wife and Kids who'll be cooped up with him om Christmas day after a plate after a plate of sprout's and chestnut stuffing.wicked.gif

Dave.W

:ohmy: I personally wouldn't blame the food.....think it was more likely a mix of 3 x Stellas at home, 3 x Newccy Brown at Sandbach, and god knows how many Pedigrees at Bishopswood meself :lol:

Mind you, it cleared some space for sales...though nobody seemed interested in looking for whatever reason :lol:

Had an enjoyable night all round, thanks to all involved.

Nice to finally meet Spirit :thumbup:

P.S. Haven't got a clue what Sandi's post is about mind.... :huh:

Translation anyone? :shades:

well I had a great time,,sorry to disappoint a few on my lack of fancy dress, I did put it on, and then did a complete turn around and decided not to wear it, as I did not want to offend anyone wicked.gif well Mr Money my legs are killing me, only you could make me dance to 5 tunes on the run, thumbup.gif such a classy set, thoroughly enjoyed the music, Dave Welding on top from as usual, the Buffet was adorable, and yummy , thanks baggy pants!picked up 3 brilliant tunes to add to my growing collection , what more could a girl ask for on a niter, only down side was poor Trevor being taken to hospital, but if you are gonna be poorly, is is not great to have good people round you like Elaine,johny Fingers, and sandi and Harpo, who came to the rescue, well done thumbup.gif great niter, great company, graet music, and sorry I have left my xmas cards on the table..sorry unsure.gif

Thanks to everybody for a great night down at Bishops wood and well worth a visit for anyone who hasn,t been yet.

Just a pity its so far away from Dundee & Edinburgh or we would be regular visitors as it was quality music from start to finish.

Special thanks to Colin & Gaye, Larry and Elaine for the lifts to and from the train station and for looking after us during the nighter.

Glad to hear that Trevor is better now but that was a pretty poor excuse to leave before I played any records!

Sorry about you legs Lou, Woody will have to rub in some deep heat, but thanks for dancing.

Hopefully I will be back next year at some time.

Have a great Xmas & New Year,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sean Haydon

Seeing nobody yet has made a comment about lastnights quality music delivery from all the d.j.'s, l need to report on what would of been an excellent night spent on the dance floor for probably most the night, and l don't say that lightly, it's not very often l do that nowadays, not because l can't keep up with the pace any more, but because more times than least l consider some d.j sets to be a bit up and down and don't always flow.....and l do make a comment to whichever d.j. is the offender, comments like "eh how does this follow the one you just played!!!!!", just a matter of maybe lack of thinking about consistancy, l really believe some just give up trying, and some just don't give a shit about trying, and you can tell the ones who don't care because their body language and facial expression just shout out how bored they are, to me thats wasting my money, paying to get in to enjoy the night only to finish up outside most of it, smoking fag after fag to eleviate the boredom signal they omit around the venues, if they have lost that passion and only come to play their spot take the money(undeserved in a lot of cases)and fook off straight after(excluding d.j.s who might have two bookings on the same night), then in my opinion and from conversations with other like minded soulies then l think they should leave the building and play their records at home like we have to do, because these one's don't like the idea of someone fresh coming along and showing them up, by having the paying punter in mind, reading the crowd and dance floor and playing for them, it's about time the scene had a bloody good shake up, l'll do the job if you want, or maybe another upfront female with a love and passion for music that they hope in vain will be played keep them supporting local venues.......................it aint gonna happen folks in our area they are well and truely stuck by superglue in the past, there is nothing wrong with good classic oldies and some over played stuff, yet even the dino's amongst us moan occasionally about the repetativeness of the sets, however they don't say it loud enough, cus they don't want to upset the apple cart and hurt the poor d.j.'s feelings, l on the other hand sometimes would love to fling the apple cart at the d.j. because l'm damn sure he dont give a crap about damaging my ears and not to mention insult my intelligence by assuming that "true soulies only have a limited range to what they know, in some cases that might be true and they may well be happier that a pig in muck to remain that way forever, NOT ME OH NO I PAY MY HARD EARNED MONEY AND QUALITY IS WHAT I AM....NOT ASKING FOR, DONE THAT FOR YEARS WITH NO JOY, I'M BLOODY WELL DEMANDING IT, AND WILL KEEP ON THE DEMAND UNTIL CERTAIN LAZY D.J.'S SIT UP AND LISTEN, HEY THE OPTION TO D.J. SHOULD BE ESTABLISHED, STOP BEING COMPLACENT, OR SHOVE OFF AND GIVE SOMEONE ELSE A CHANCE, HEY AND GET THIS MOST WOULD LOVE THE OPPORTUNITY WITHOUT BEING PAYED, JUST FOR A CHANCE TO SET A NEW PRECIDENCE.... rant over, sorry needed to say that, yet look out look out there's a Sandi about, and some time soon in the new year l will be carrying on with my one women crusade, in ways that are in the pipeline and being scheduled........now on to finish what l started: l swear to god you have more enjoyment out of playing a game of predict the d.j. maybe we should consider getting a tournament cup for most predictable ,,Piss take yet really it does sound like a good idea.....and why should l not be allowed to take the piss without "fear" of being slated by the real Northern Soul you should only play 60's contingents, hey a sword for a sword, you lot have dominated and styled the scene for your own please for years , so l'm taking the piss for a change, because my range and taste is vast with love for great quality SOUL DANCE music all years catered for............:wicked:. so put that in ya pipe and smoke it.

Enough of my soap box corner outburst, yet rest assured l'm not sorry lmean every word.

Back to the great night of just that SOUL music and for no extra charge QUALITY aswell, what more do we need, nowt just a little effort to carry on supporting the CLASS venues, that is exactly what we do, BISHOPS WOOD HAS EARN THE RIGHT TO BE CLASSED AMONGST THE OTHER CLASSY VENUES, LIFELINE, U.S.O.S. these are the only venues we support 100%, because these promoters have unblocked ears, so recognise quality with clarity. so if you are looking for venues that will save your SOUL these are highly recommended, and if you fancy a night of nostalgia, you wont be hard pressed to find somewhere that will be chugging it out, and thats absolutely fine, it's their genre and they make their choice, unfortunately they have not given me and many many other's who share my opinion the same considerating, l think l might actually present them with a statement for a full refund for all the years l supported them and they failed to provide, god it would cost them "lotsa money", plus compensation for cruelty to soulies who grew with the years. So when you try and work out the time span remaining for the soul scene, just be observant, study the form, performance, quailty, quantity of supporting punters and the attitude of the people who attend venues that have driven many a heart broken true lover of soul out into the cold, yet with hope , hard work and detemination to keep the Faith, then maybe it's not too late to draw once hardened faithful dedicated hardcore

nomadic nighter goes back to the fold... yet if not then me and harpo will be very happy to continue playing awesome music at home for as long as we lvfe, many however don't have the privilage of owning their own record collection, that to me is a violation ,crime and sin against those that truely love the music, no need to think about the disolvement of the scene from this side of the fence l'm standing on, its very much rooted to solid ground, and for some time to come it is growing into a healthy haven, the d.j.s are selected with some thought, as to supply a good assortment for all taste,s....yeah oldies too.....ooooh well l never, timeless oldies such as Rob Smith treated me to, yet these are not over played in our locality, in fact l can't remember when l heard two of his set played anywhere in years, Arin Domain "Silent treatment" it sounded so fresh...got a real buzz from dancing to that, and the other one played earlier in his set The New Wanderers "This Man In Love" and the night just carried on pumping out this type of dance music, Dave Rimmer played to a happy dance floor, Col and Gaye Kidson fantastic plays from them both, Dave Welding he is really a d,j. to be reckoned with at the moment, he's shit hot off the shovel and it seems to just keep him focused and on fire, it's breaking boundrys, stupid rules that mean nowt to me, and taboos about what can and can't be played. Hitler also was a dictator and look how far he got..eh !!!!.

Because of the other nights event's regarding Trevor, l can honestly say the music coming out of the main hall was some of the best played out in years, and Trevor went and pulled this stunt, yet his need was great then my selfish one to dance my feet off:unsure:, the fact still remains that l still heard the music yet l could'nt honestly tell who were playing or when , so do'nt think l've missed a mention for you, l heard you all, and loved every minute, thankyou guy's on such an eventful night the music was helping me to remain calm and focused helping a guy in trouble was less stressful due to the music quality.Not sure if Trevor would agree, l think it may well of added to his anxiety, poor Trev will be demanding a instant replay when he's out again.

I know you're all probably thinking shut up now, well l am, this would of been better posted on my blogg, but you must be mad if you think l'm typing all this again, so it stays.

Trevors illness last nite must of inspired me to sound off, and it's been a long time coming, next could be directed at those that have treated me with such contempt and show me no consideration, hey my apprenticeship gives me passage to make known publically that l'm extremely disappointed by some l once hold in high esteem, god knows why, with age come's wisdom, yet it seems to of overlooked many who l thought were genuine soulful people, well l'm ashamed to think that l once gave these ones some sort of loyalty, even admired them' now l'd be elated to push them in the mire.:thumbsup::D bye:wave:bye:wave: and merry christmas to you all.

SOULFUL SANDI DEFO END OF RANT, AND FEELING GREAT :thumbup:not_i.gifshout.gif

Christ. Have you had a new keyboard Sandi?

Christ. Have you had a new keyboard Sandi?

:lol: yes actually :yes:.

Sean l know l must of confused alot of peeps, l did go off on one did'nt l..

Yet to my amazement at The Radcliffe on sat so many people came up to me and said that after persevering and reading the whole post understood what l was RANTING:shout:on about and actually agreed with me.

So by request of many including your good self , l will be starting a new thread in the hope views can be aired in a constructive manner.

Sandi x