Horse And Groom Sunday Chill Out

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

After hearing from a few different folks how good this Sunday afters session was, and missing the last one due to illness, I finally managed to make this one.

And I'm glad I did.

The place was buzzing when we arrived at about 2 o'clock, and was still jumping when we left at 6.

It would be unfair to single out any one DJ as the music was 'top notch' - someone even played an R&B track...

Loads of faces who I've not seen in donkeys.

Special mention to Joe Lakin and the worst organised raffle - well done sir.

To quote Jimmy Wallace - I'll Be Back.

Superb Day, Fantastic Atmosphere and a great crowd.

Brilliant spots from all 3 guests and residents with a great mix of soulful tunes

Here's the playlists :-

Joe 12 – 12.30

Lou Rawls – Are You With Me

Patti Labelle – It’s Alright With Me

Bobby Hebb – Yes Or No Or Maybe Not

Moon Williams – Sticks & Stones

Duane Clark – Stop Come Down Come Around

Passion – Don’t Bring Back Memories

Charles Perry – How Can I

Stanley Clarke – Straight To The Top

Al Green – Look What You Done For Me

Philadelphia Ambassadors – Girl I Love Everything About You

Al Hudson – We Must Make It Happen

Dave 12.30 – 13.00

Shelley Fisher – Girl I Love You

Bobby Womack – Trust Your Heart

Target – Give Me One More Chance

Ernie Johnson – Big Man Cry

Intrigues - Fly Now Pay Later

Daybreak – Everything Man

Bessie Banks – Don’t You Worry Baby

Houston Outlaws – Ain’t No Telling

Mick 13.00 – 13.30

Soul Bros Inc – Pyramid

J J Barnes – She’s Mine

Joe Walker – This Is My Last Goodbye

We The People – Whatcha Done For Me

T J Williams – My Life

T C Lee & The Bricklayers – Up And Down The Hill

Bobby Taylor – There Are Roses Somewhere in This World

Willie Tee – First Taste Of Hurt

Jimmy Reed Junior – I Ain’t Going Nowhere

Everyday People – World Full Of People

Dwight Thompson – Man Oh Man

Thelma Houston – I Ain’t Going Nowhere

Marcia Hines – You Gotta Let Go

Steve 13.30 – 14.00 and 19.30 – 20.00 (No Playlists done but here’s a few I remember him playing over the 2 spots) :-

Tony Colton – I Stand Accused

The Dells – Bring Back The Love Of Yesterday

Dee Dee Warwick – Funny How We Change Places

Billy Jones – Holding On

Impressions – Miracle Woman

Sweet 3 – That’s The Way It Is

All Night Band – Lovely Ladies

Bri 14.00 – 14.30

Friday,Saturday,Sunday – There Must Be Something

Buddy Causey – There’s A Way

Corey Blake – How Can I Go On Without You

Don Gardner – We’re Gonna Make It Big

Nurons – All My Life

Timeless Legend – I Was Born To Love You

Satin – Your Loves Got Me

Stevens & Foster – Want To Be Loved

J P Robinson – Our Day Is Here

Richie Havens – I Can’t Make It Anymore

Derek 14.30 – 15.00

Buddy Ace – True Love

Otis Rush – Homework

Billy Keane – Wishing & Hoping

Mitty Collier – Pain

Major Lance –Sweeter As The Days Go By

Lorraine Rudolph – Keep Coming Back For More

Billy Stewart – Count Me Out

Timi Yuro – I Ain’t Gonna Cry No More

Ray & Dave – Wrong,Wrong,Wrong

Lee Williams – It’s Everything About You

Geater Davis – My Love Is So Strong For You

Little Dooley – It’s Got To Be Now Or Never

Chris 15.00 – 16.00

Volumes – Ain’t Gonna Give You Up

J J Barnes – Lonely No More

Jock Mitchell – Not A Chance In A Million

Al Gardner – Sweet Baby

Gambrells – You Better Move

Servicemen – Connie

Masqueraders – How

Capitals – Can’t Deny That I Love You

Cautions – No Other Way

Bobby Kline – Say Something Nice To Me

Dena Barnes - Who Am I

Danny Woods – You Had Me Fooled

Appreciations – I Can’t Hide It

Professionals – That’s Why I Love You

Masqueraders – Do You Love Me Baby

Melvin Davis – Find A Quiet Place

Silhouettes – Not Me Baby

September Jones – I’m Comin’ Home

Martha Starr – Love Is The Only Solution

Lenny Curtis – Nothing Can Help You Now

Herman Lewis – Who’s Kissing You Tonight

Paul 16.00 – 17.00

Magnificent Men – Together Forever

Fantastic Epics – Lets Get Together

Inner Section – Let Me Love Yuh

Patti Austin – Didn’t Say A Word

Ethics – I Want My Baby Back

Johnny Bristol – Love No Longer Has A Hold On Me

Hesitations – Is This The Way To Treat A Girl

Emanuel Taylor – You Really Got A Hold On Me

Tommie Young – Hit & Run Lover

Brenda & The Tabulations – That’s In The Past

Johnson Family – Peace In The Family

Lashawn Collins – What You Gonna Do With Me Now

Joe Hinton – Got You On My Mind

Jimmy Beaumont – Our Day Is Here

Continental 4 – The Way I Love You Baby

Gene Townsel – I’m Walking Away

Chuck Cockerham – Have I Got A Right

Dave 17.00 – 17.30

Jimmy Bo Horn – I Can’t Speak

Brand New – 1,000 Years

Willie Pickett – On The Stage Of Life

Nicky Newarkers – Woman

Daybreak – I Need Love

Lee Fields – Take Me Back

Al Mason – Good Lovin’

Nancy Butts – I Want To Hold Your Hand

Imperial C’s – Someone Tell Her

Cookie Scott – I Don’t Care

Bri 17.30 – 18.00

Pages – Heartaches And Pain

ZZ & Company – Ready For The Get Down

Peaches – I Just Want To Do My Own Thing

Barbara St Clair – Teacherman

Continental Showstoppers – Not Too Young

Admirations – You Left Me

Delegates Of Soul – I’ll Come Running Back

Soul Communicators – Those Lonely Nights

El Anthony – We’ve Been In Love Too Long

J R Bailey - Love Won't Wear Off

Jean Wells – What Have I Got To Lose

Joe 18.00 – 18.30

Temptations – Since I Lost My Baby

After this Joe lost the plot and didn’t list any more, not sure why. :thumbup::shades:beer.gifbeer.gif

Mick 18.30 – 19.00

Little Ann – Sweep It Out Of The Shed

Thelma Houston – Nothing Left To Give

Metro’s – I’ll Never Forget You

Spiedells – Dream Girl

Shepards – Little Girl Lost

Oxford Nights – I’m Such A Lonely One

Willie Kendrick – What’s That On Your Finger

Harry Starr – Step Into My World

Cooking On 3 Burners – This Girl

Dwight Franklin – Foxy Lila

Universal Love – It’s You Girl

Demures – Raining Teardrops

Kenny Wells – Isn’t It Just A Shame

Derek 19.00 – 19.30

Rozetta Johnson – Mine Was Real

Geraldine Hunt – Never Never Leave Me

Basic,Black & Pearl – There’ll Come A Time, There’ll Come A Day

Emotions – Stealing Love

Barbara Mason – Ain’t Got Nobody

Pauline Shivers – Won’t You Come Back Home

Caesars – La La I Love You

Voicemasters – If A Woman Catches A Fool

Visitors – I’m In Danger

Southside Movement – Do It To Me

Lovelites – Bumpy Road Ahead

Fred Hughes - I Gotta Keep My Bluff In

Thanks to all involved

See you all somewhere soon

Paul & Sue :thumbsup::D

Edited by PS-Soul
Guest Derek White

Hi Paul and Sue.

Thanks for decifering my scrawlings.

A big thanks to all involved in putting on the best session in South Yorks, and letting me loose, spinning a few tunes. Really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to the next one (any dates yet?) and the warm up do at Greggs :huh::ohmy:

Cheers,

Derek.

Thanks to Joe, Mick, Dave & Bri for the invitation to play a few tunes....had a great time.

I doubt there's a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon. smiley-score010.gif

Looking forward to the next one already when I'll be back on public transport (so no donkey p*ss [aka still orange]) that day...may even call-in at the warm up do.

Paul

Hi Paul and Sue.

Thanks for decifering my scrawlings.

A big thanks to all involved in putting on the best session in South Yorks, and letting me loose, spinning a few tunes. Really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to the next one (any dates yet?) and the warm up do at Greggs huh.gifohmy.gif

Cheers,

Derek.

Hi Derek ,

No problem reading yours , missed your last track off though (Fred Hughes) , just edited it.

Paul

a great day all round methinks, a big big thank you to all the dj's and a bigger ta to every body who attended :) . as of february next year this event will be going bi-monthly. we've put a lot of thought into this cos at the end of the day we don't want to kill the pig but it'll be only one more event than we've had this year. i've already posted dates up in the events calender, so we hope to see you all here again in february.

atb, bri pinch.

RILEY SMITH HALL, XMAS ALLDAYER, TADCASTER, SAT 19TH DEC.

whistling.gifenough sunday chill out what a great day out, top quality tuneage good company what more could you ask for take a bow fellas you deserve it looking forward to next yeargood.gif regards johno

CHEERS JOHN, GLAD YOU ENJOYED YOURSELF, HAVE A GREAT XMAS AND NEW YEAR AND HOPE TO CATCH UP WITH YA AT THE WILTON IN JANUARY.

BRI PINCH.

Another top quality afternoon! Top DJs playing top sounds, and the best company you could wish for anywhere. Adding the extra speaker worked really well, thumbup.gif we could hear the music propely from the back without being drowned out at the front.

Doing the same raffle four times was a little more dubious. tumbleweed3.gif

Seriously, thanks to everyone involved for producing another storming Sunday.

John & Helen, Gary & Lynne and all the mob from Darnall Hort'i. good.gifthumbup.gif

Another super afternoon at the Horse and Groom.

Where do I start ? Arrived about 2.30 ish and as per Pikey's post it was packed !

Did the funny handshake thing too many of you there to name, but got a pint of Britvic grapefruit and lemonade and kept an ear on the music.

Especially went to see Chris Walker and his First ever DJ spot (look at his playlist!) he won't mind me saying that Bri Pinch "Deserted him" at the decks-and the nerves set in-turning the deck off instead of hitting the start button !! and promtly turning around for the next record in his set not realising it was quiet ph34r.gifHowever the Pinches boys were quickly on hand to sort things out and what followed would have done any top draw nighter proud ! Superb records, all original and all near mint !

Well done Chris--however, for me, it was not the stand out spot of the afternoon- he was followed by Paul Newton-(who I don't know-sorry Paul) and he was bang in the groove. thumbup.gifBrilliant records, well put together and appreciated by the eager crowd, super stuff !

Joes raffle -he sold me 666-ph34r.gif- was one of the funniest things Ive seen or heard in many a while-and it kept on going throughout the afternoon, including the mock auction of framed stuff-I quote Joe " This is from the Isley Brothers-cost me 3 shillings-its signed "dear Joe, thanks for teaching us how to dance and sing soul music-now F**K off you T**t", love The Isleys!laugh.gif

Joe was well oiled and was still looking for number 517 at the end !

Every DJ did great imaginative spots-well done!

One complaint the slip mat was played 3 times-once by Chris and twice in one spot by Joe !! fancy repeating something thats already been played !laugh.gif

The Christmas spirt was certainly flowing and being sunk by many

Best "Man Boob " competition was won by Stan, runner up Gaz Welsh and best newcomer was Tom Cooper in 3rd place.

The Steak and chips-excellent and I was trying to persuade the Worksop boys to try the bacon and cabbage on offer-(hello Mick H)-what is it ? they said--bacon and F""king cabbage was the reply--they also do an all day full Irish breakfast and Dublin Coddle!

This place is what Northern soul is all about, great friendly crowd, talking to your mates as before just TOO MANY TO MENTION and brilliant music. we stayed 40 mins past official closing time and Joe was still trying to play just another one more....

see you in the new year-miss this venue at your peril !

Rob

A fantastic event at the Horse and Groom 13th December 2009. Quality music. Check out the play list, it's awesome. A big thank you to Joe Lakin and all the people who donated prises for the "Sri Lankan, Tsunami, Projects" Raffle.

Joe, Andy Dyson, CS, Me, Des Pejko, A very nice lady who collects posters, The Landlord and many more.

£160.00 was raised and will be much appreciated by the people in the south of Sri Lanka, trying to get their lives back on track after 5 years since the Tsunami.

Every penny raised will be used, with no admin costs or expenses. I can say that with certainty because I will be taking it over there.

Thanks to you all

Mick Casey

heartandsoul

www.hiplanka.com/projects

Guest Donnyboy

This is the way to spend Sunday afternoons, top notch music & great company can't wait for the next onethumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif ...Cressy

Top afternoon, top music and great company as ever.

Joe - don't know about a painter I think you'd give Peter Kaye a run for his money on yesterday's performance!

Smiler

Guest Donnyboy

Top afternoon, top music and great company as ever.

Joe - don't know about a painter I think you'd give Peter Kaye a run for his money on yesterday's performance!

Smiler

..... and not forgetting your Sun armi chant !!

Guest Derek White

..... and not forgetting your Sun armi chant !!

Hey up.

I don't know if you caught Joe & Micks spot at the Manifesto on friday, I thought they were fab there, knock about stuff, DJ muck ups, great one liners from em both, some real oldies played, proper double act.

A great weekend.

Hey up.

I don't know if you caught Joe & Micks spot at the Manifesto on friday, I thought they were fab there, knock about stuff, DJ muck ups, great one liners from em both, some real oldies played, proper double act.

A great weekend.

Absolutely fabulous way to end the weekend, I'm still trying to recover from it. Great sets from all the regulars & super stuff from you Derek along with Chris and Paul, tune of the day for me was, Don Gardner – We're Gonna Make It Big, it finally arrived then Bri thumbsup.gif Perfick just perfick. As for Mick & Joe at the Manifesto........ don't you mean "some real oldies playing real oldies" :thumbup: Derek ?

See you at the next one.

Don

Edited by DonKit

Arrived at the Horse & Groom at just gone 3 and managed to stay until the end this time, as everyone has allready said it was a great day out and packed to the rafters. The extra speaker at the back of the room was a great idea and improved the sound quality in that area. Cracking spots from all of the DJ's, looking forward to the next one in February.

These chill out's at the Horse and Groom seem to be all the same,bloody brilliant.No sooner had we arrived, it was time to leave,always the sign of a top notch soul do.Superb set's from all the usual resident's and guest's,Derek,Paul and Chris,another packer from start to finish,can't recommend this place enough.

See you all in February H & D biggrin.gif

Edited by 22ndsoul

After hearing from a few different folks how good this Sunday afters session was, and missing the last one due to illness, I finally managed to make this one.

And I'm glad I did.

The place was buzzing when we arrived at about 2 o'clock, and was still jumping when we left at 6.

It would be unfair to single out any one DJ as the music was 'top notch' - someone even played an R&B track...

Loads of faces who I've not seen in donkeys.

Special mention to Joe Lakin and the worst organised raffle - well done sir.

To quote Jimmy Wallace - I'll Be Back.

Hi Joe,

Glad you liked it, I did spot you on my way back from the bar, but never got the chance to say hello!shades.gif

Maybe next time ehbiggrin.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

What a Great afternoon.

Started off with my Lady and I calling in at the record fair at The Dome and as she was flicking through the LP's!!!!:thumbup: ....Solomon Burke "Music to make love by" Feat. Midnight and You:thumbup: , one of my fav's, so snapped that up for a fiver.

Got to gig (a little later than planned, thanks Solomon:rolleyes: ) walked straight in the back door and got accosted with a pointy finger "See, we've put the speaker up that you asked for, so you can sit here all afternoon!!!" Well, we did for our meal and I think everyone agrees that it was "A good idea" and well "Clever ideas are 10 a penny, only clever people use them", well done for making the sound better.

I don't need to comment much on the music and the DJ's, JUST Awesome and you will have seen the playlists. The main tune for me was the Mikki Farrow B side (It's not on the playlists, me thinks!!) and I will hopefully find one in the summer at a Car Boot Sale for 50p!!!

Loads of nice people as usual making everyone welcome and thanks for putting up with me and can't wait until the New Year next one.

https://www.youtube.com/user/INDALOSOULCLUB

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan

Chris Walker has been in touch via the "Jungle telegraph" as he does not have a computer, but he gets to read this on here sometimes.

I quote "I would like to apologies for my cock ups on the decks, as these decks had more than one button it made me slightly confused. My deck at home is steam powered-an "Arkwright & Sons 1952" Cast Iron made in Barnsley from real Yorkshire Pig Iron and plays records both at 45 rpm and 78 rpm. It plays best if you use Yorkshire deep mine coal and spring water from the Dales" As none of the above were available at the Horse and Groom last Sunday I had to make do with the equipment that was available"

But Seriously he also said:-

Thank you for your support and kind comments about the DJing, it really is appreciated, it was a pleasure to share a small part of my collection with you all last Sunday, I was nervous when I started, but given another 10 years I might just get the hang of it !"

Chris Walker.

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley

Another super afternoon at the Horse and Groom.

Where do I start ? Arrived about 2.30 ish and as per Pikey's post it was packed !

Did the funny handshake thing too many of you there to name, but got a pint of Britvic grapefruit and lemonade and kept an ear on the music.

Especially went to see Chris Walker and his First ever DJ spot (look at his playlist!) he won't mind me saying that Bri Pinch "Deserted him" at the decks-and the nerves set in-turning the deck off instead of hitting the start button !! and promtly turning around for the next record in his set not realising it was quiet :ph34r:However the Pinches boys were quickly on hand to sort things out and what followed would have done any top draw nighter proud ! Superb records, all original and all near mint !

Well done Chris--however, for me, it was not the stand out spot of the afternoon- he was followed by Paul Newton-(who I don't know-sorry Paul) and he was bang in the groove. :thumbup:Brilliant records, well put together and appreciated by the eager crowd, super stuff !

Joes raffle -he sold me 666-:ph34r:- was one of the funniest things Ive seen or heard in many a while-and it kept on going throughout the afternoon, including the mock auction of framed stuff-I quote Joe " This is from the Isley Brothers-cost me 3 shillings-its signed "dear Joe, thanks for teaching us how to dance and sing soul music-now F**K off you T**t", love The Isleys!:laugh:

Joe was well oiled and was still looking for number 517 at the end !

Every DJ did great imaginative spots-well done!

One complaint the slip mat was played 3 times-once by Chris and twice in one spot by Joe !! fancy repeating something thats already been played !:laugh:

The Christmas spirt was certainly flowing and being sunk by many

Best "Man Boob " competition was won by Stan, runner up Gaz Welsh and best newcomer was Tom Cooper in 3rd place.

The Steak and chips-excellent and I was trying to persuade the Worksop boys to try the bacon and cabbage on offer-(hello Mick H)-what is it ? they said--bacon and F""king cabbage was the reply--they also do an all day full Irish breakfast and Dublin Coddle!

This place is what Northern soul is all about, great friendly crowd, talking to your mates as before just TOO MANY TO MENTION and brilliant music. we stayed 40 mins past official closing time and Joe was still trying to play just another one more....

see you in the new year-miss this venue at your peril !

Rob

Near Mintsmiley-angry002.gif!!! Nothing less than MINT is in Chris's collectionsmiley-laughing002.gif