No Modern At The Wheel? We Need Help

ImberBoy

No Modern at the Wheel?

Twistin like a wheel it's our history

Just been to The Twisted Wheel for the very first time ever! What an experience, this is the mother of all Nighters and it is still here!

I asked the DJ in the main room for some Modern, couldn't resist, sorry and you did see the funny side, good on you!

Any way, on to a serious matter, The Twisted Wheelers are trying to get as many signatures on a petition towards awarding the club a special heritage sign.

This will go towards ensuring this very important building is kept for the futre!

Has any one got any more information on this and can we do anything via the net?

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No Modern at the Wheel?

Just been to The Twisted Wheel for the very first time ever! What an experience, this is the mother of all Nighters and it is still here!

I asked the DJ in the main room for some Modern, couldn't resist, sorry and you did see the funny side, good on you!

Any way, on to a serious matter, The Twisted Wheelers are trying to get as many signatures on a petition towards awarding the club a special heritage sign.

This will go towards ensuring this very important building is kept for the futre!

Has any one got any more information on this and can we do anything via the net?

Hey Up Simon,

It was our 4th time at the Wheel yesterday and we had a "Brilliant Day"........ We make a day out of it with the Train Journey from York, Sunday Dinner in the Bull etc. Only being a young 50 year old, I was far too young to go back in the "Days"......... I think its great that they keep to there policy of playing what they did in the 60t's etc. I know you like your modern and I can imagine the face on the DJ when you asked him!!!! Bet he has been asked for worse.

If your at the Metrodome on the 27th, I'll have a beer with you (I'll look for you in the modern room!!).

Sorry can't help with your question on; any more information. But I was talking to a regular at the Wheel yesterday who said the building is diffinately "Listed".

Keep up the great threads.

KTF................. Bridgey

Social source share

Guest Agent OO Soul

I am part of the group applying for the blue plaque for the wheel, it is in the early stages at present, but we need certain evidence to put to the EHB panel.

and part of that is a partition of support from the members who actually attend the club. we have info coming in from all over the world we have 8 to 10 volunteers at present

collating the data/artefacts etc'

please be patient and we will have more on web sites and facebook asap. watch this space and the twisted wheel.com and twisted wheel .net, also facebook group twisted wheel & real fab4.

more soon

- KTF

and thanks for your enquiry

Agent OO Soul.

Social source share

No Modern at the Wheel?

Great to see you yesterday Simon,glad you liked our little club ,see you at Maxim's for those"brilliant tunes we don't get to hear anywhere else".

Bernard.

Social source share

• 4 months later...
Guest Phoenix8049

The wheel first opened in 1963.

but when did they start playing northern soul there.

cause it used to be rock and roll and rnb acts back then.

Stu.

Edited by Phoenix8049
Social source share

Northern wasn't tagged until '71ish so..........................it would be then! :lol:

Prior to that it was motown RnB and loosely termed club soul :yes:

Social source share

Guest proudlove

www.haroldsoulclub.co.uk

twisted wheel on tour at the harold club bradford

sat june 19th with the twisted wheel crew

a night of all wheel sounds

cant wait should be one fantastic night

Been talking to Brian Phillips tonight,or should I say Brian "45" Phillips..............maybe questions about the Wheel should be directed that way???

Steve

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest Swish

The wheel first opened in 1963.

but when did they start playing northern soul there.

cause it used to be rock and roll and rnb acts back then.

Stu.

The first Wheel was in Brazenose street and did indeed play rn roll rn b etc.

The second was in Whitworth street. This Wheel started Northern without any doubt atall. It wasn't known as Northern until Dave Godin penned the name.

Meaning soul played in the North of England as against soul played in Southern England. I first went to Wheel in late 1969. It shut in 1970 if I remember correctly.

After that we all went to Metro in Wakefield.

This Wheel started Northern without any doubt atall. It wasn't known as Northern until Dave Godin penned the name.

Meaning soul played in the North of England as against soul played in Southern England.

If I may say, the atmosphere was intimidating, dangerous, electryfying, exhilarating,, unbelievable.

When I first heard Breakout & You get your kicks by Mitch Ryder, and EVERYONE clapped in unison and it echoed off the walls, and the black gloves and lots of girls wore white gloves, and they all danced together, back dropping in unison and this was before I'd even heard of gear!

JESUS CHRIST ALMIGHTY!

I'd give almost anything to see film of that.

Of course there is no film.

If you went in there with a camera. or GOD FORBID a movie camera, the rollers would have just taken it off you.

Of course there were hundreds of unbelievable records, but those 2 stick the strongest and firmest in my mind.

I can smell the scent of Brut and perfume and see the gorgeous girls with their beautiful legs and their mini-skirts and the handsome hard looking bastard dangerous men .

I'd say that in all my life, and I went to almost every one, Torch, Crewe, etc and I DJ'D at Leeds central for many years, that only The Catacombs could compare to the Wheel.

DANGEROUS PLACES FOR BRILLIANT THRILLS!

And oh yes they were.

Social source share

The first Wheel was in Brazenose street and did indeed play rn roll rn b etc.

The second was in Whitworth street. This Wheel started Northern without any doubt atall. It wasn't known as Northern until Dave Godin penned the name.

Meaning soul played in the North of England as against soul played in Southern England. I first went to Wheel in late 1969. It shut in 1970 if I remember correctly.

After that we all went to Metro in Wakefield.

This Wheel started Northern without any doubt atall. It wasn't known as Northern until Dave Godin penned the name.

Meaning soul played in the North of England as against soul played in Southern England.

If I may say, the atmosphere was intimidating, dangerous, electryfying, exhilarating,, unbelievable.

When I first heard Breakout & You get your kicks by Mitch Ryder, and EVERYONE clapped in unison and it echoed off the walls, and the black gloves and lots of girls wore white gloves, and they all danced together, back dropping in unison and this was before I'd even heard of gear!

JESUS CHRIST ALMIGHTY!

I'd give almost anything to see film of that.

Of course there is no film.

If you went in there with a camera. or GOD FORBID a movie camera, the rollers would have just taken it off you.

Of course there were hundreds of unbelievable records, but those 2 stick the strongest and firmest in my mind.

I can smell the scent of Brut and perfume and see the gorgeous girls with their beautiful legs and their mini-skirts and the handsome hard looking bastard dangerous men .

I'd say that in all my life, and I went to almost every one, Torch, Crewe, etc and I DJ'D at Leeds central for many years, that only The Catacombs could compare to the Wheel.

DANGEROUS PLACES FOR BRILLIANT THRILLS!

And oh yes they were.

If it had not been for the two lads who took me on my first visit to The Wheel being regulars , I would have certainly been shafted by the hard rollers in there .

A lot of venues as you state Bob , were dangerous ones , and not for the faint hearted ....... but what thrills they gave us :lol:

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I missed "the wheel" by a week,I'm sure it was the summer of 70,I was working on Llandudno pier in the caff,my mate (nameless,passed away,respect)worked in the golden goose amusements and would talk about his visits to whitworth st and had promised to take me soon,however it got busted the next week :) .

I was only sixteen,would have probably crapped myself if I'd got in,anyway at the end of the summer I'd saved enough to buy my first lambretta 150 (£60) :ohmy: honest!

Must get along there (40yrs late) laugh.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!