Spellbound And Spaceland

Dave Morris

Hi folks,

Just going thru some cassettes from the late 70's early 80's and heard couple of tracks.

One is "Spellbound" - Betty Boo and other is called "Spaceland" but haven't got note of artist.

Did they get released as singles and if so what labels,price etc and who recorded "Spaceland" which I believe has the same backing as "Going To A Happening".

Thanks in advance

Dave.

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi folks,

Just going thru some cassettes from the late 70's early 80's and heard couple of tracks.

One is "Spellbound" - Betty Boo and other is called "Spaceland" but haven't got note of artist.

Did they get released as singles and if so what labels,price etc and who recorded "Spaceland" which I believe has the same backing as "Going To A Happening".

Thanks in advance

Dave.

Spellbound came out on Grapevine as well.

Social source share

It's rumoured that "Spaceland" - Tony Hestor, was about to be released as a single. At the last minute the "Going To A Happening" vocals were

put to the backing track in an attempt to cash in on the success of the likes of "Going To A GoGo" and "Everybody's Going To A Love-In".

I haven't checked out the plausability of this theory......release dates etc, but I'm sure someone on here posted this up before.

Can anyone enlighten us?

- Kev.

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

It's rumoured that "Spaceland" - Tony Hestor, was about to be released as a single. At the last minute the "Going To A Happening" vocals were

put to the backing track in an attempt to cash in on the success of the likes of "Going To A GoGo" and "Everybody's Going To A Love-In".

I haven't checked out the plausability of this theory......release dates etc, but I'm sure someone on here posted this up before.

Can anyone enlighten us?

- Kev.

Yes, spot on (so im also lead to believe) the "happening" was American youth`s buzz word at the time and the Supremes also had their "The Happening" in the shops. Spaceland would not have cut it with the hip young thangs and lets face it...lyrically, Tommy Neals 45 was more interesting.

:wink:

Social source share

Can anyone enlighten us?

- Kev.

i think the plausable reason would be on the back of the supremes `the happening ` as it would be 2 and half years after smokey`s go go and it came out 6 monthes before bob brady was issued.............................................. i`ll get me coat

dave

SAT 19TH DEC. RILEY SMITH HALL ALLDAYER, TADCASTER

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Spaceland might have cashed in on the Apollo mission too?

Or am I getting this wrapped round my uri gagarins?

"Goin" came out in 67, possibly a few months before the moonshots really got the american public interested en-mass, or maybe they just decided that TN`s version was lyrically better.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

i think the plausable reason would be on the back of the supremes `the happening ` as it would be 2 and half years after smokey`s go go and it came out 6 monthes before bob brady was issued.............................................. i`ll get me coat

dave

SAT 19TH DEC. RILEY SMITH HALL ALLDAYER, TADCASTER

thumbsup.gif No, don't get your coat Dave. You've answered exactly what I was wondering about but couldn't be @rsed to look up for myself.

Thanks !!!!

Social source share

From what I can remember talking to Richard 'Going to a happening' came first. 'Space land' was just the re-use of a great backing track. The whole project was however somewhat doomed when Tony decided to go and work with Don Davis and the Dramatics.

Richard always felt he was left a liitle in the lurch and just shelved the whole thing and it just sat on his shelves until John Anderson heard them in the mid 70's. Detroit then was split a little into different camps and Richard saw Don as a rival. Tony was very ambitious and grabbed the chance to work with the group, but he did have a habbit of rubbing people up the wrong way, ending up with someone taking the ultimate revenge, Tony was shot coming out of a studio late one nite.

Richard always said that there was even more stuff from these sessions, but he had mis-laid the tapes. Now with his passing they maybe lost for ever. I have spoken to his daughter to see if they can be found.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!