Gil Scott-Heron - The Bottle

Girthdevon

Hey knowledgeable people.......can someone have a quick look at this copy of The Bottle and tell me if its a pressing or original......you can view the exact copy here on discogs......

https://www.discogs.com/Gil-Scott-Heron-Brian-Jackson-The-Bottle/release/1946914

Sure its obvious to many coming from the northern scene, but coming from the jazz funk scene like I do, I have never thought of it as a bootlegable record. And I seem to recall that the french 45s are original issues and that US ones are / are not ???

Got a buyer waiting, just wanted to confirm before I offer it...... and a going rate ????

Cheers Gareth

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Brett F

Thought i once read via Tim Brown that none of the 45's were orginals and the only TRUE copy is on the original USA 'Winter In America' LP? Doing this from memory Gareth, so not certain.

Brett

Social source share

Thought i once read via Tim Brown that none of the 45's were orginals and the only TRUE copy is on the original USA 'Winter In America' LP? Doing this from memory Gareth, so not certain.

Brett

As you state Brett - the only original / true copy of "TB " is the track on the " WIA " album released in the US on Strata East in 1974 ( GSH's one and only release on the label ) , and the 45s were a later release .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I think there was a Stata East 45 and bought one as a new release from Record Corner. Believe it was later bootlegged tho.

The 45 was an edit of the LP track missing some of the intro and fading out

French and Belgian 45s were later I believe (78?) but the Belgian one is the full version (less the "drunken" intro).............both have "daft" picture sleeves

Cheers Paul

Social source share

I think there was a Stata East 45 and bought one as a new release from Record Corner. Believe it was later bootlegged tho.

The 45 was an edit of the LP track missing some of the intro and fading out

French and Belgian 45s were later I believe (78?) but the Belgian one is the full version (less the "drunken" intro).............both have "daft" picture sleeves

Cheers Paul

" The Bottle " was as far as Strat East were concerned , to be the only commercial track on " WIA " , and released it following the club exposure and acceptance it gained both here in the UK and in America , where it reached number 15 on the Billboard chart .

Malc Burton

Social source share

boxing.gifHi All back in 75 I did a couple of Gigs with Gil on a one occasion i told him about he bottle track that was played up North he told me it was a very powerful number on par and written and inspired by Lennon a Mecca in style? I also mentioned the fact that it had been covered by Brother to Brother he gave me the impression that it was very much a part of the LP and not a single yet he was not surprised about the track having a 45 release as he called it "Disco Appeal" the Strata East copy first appeared on the list from John Anderson "Soul Bowl" as such it is a legit record as it fits in with Gil's account! however like many US companies in the late 6ts and in the 7ts they issued demo tracks as 45s a concept we in the UK did not embrace till the 8ts Madonna Micheal Jackson LPs all had tracks as singles? the copy in the scan is different from my copy as most have a star on label, I recommend you get his LP I HAVE ADDED FRENCH COPY? IT SEEMS LEGIT??ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

post-13241-12612784266442_thumb.jpg

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Hey knowledgeable people.......can someone have a quick look at this copy of The Bottle and tell me if its a pressing or original......you can view the exact copy here on discogs......

https://www.discogs.c...release/1946914

Sure its obvious to many coming from the northern scene, but coming from the jazz funk scene like I do, I have never thought of it as a bootlegable record. And I seem to recall that the french 45s are original issues and that US ones are / are not ???

Got a buyer waiting, just wanted to confirm before I offer it...... and a going rate ????

Cheers Gareth

Original French-pressed 7" issue from 1975 Girth - I've had a few down the years and they are all identical to the scan you uploaded...would hope it is a £30 tune nowadays as it's seminal and demand hasn't really waned - very, very tricky to trace in my book...but...should anybody want a copy, I have a stone minter here right now @ £30 in the (daft!) pic bag...

Cheers...

Social source share

Sold @ £25 which I was happy with.....def not one of the French copies tho' Mark. You can clearly see the difference if you look at this copy on popsike.....https://www.popsike.com/GIL-SCOTT-HERON-The-bottle-7-NORTHERN-SOUL-latin-HEAR/360057258420.html

I've handled both issues numerous times at Crazy Beat, but just had a niggling feeling that the ones that state they are US - not all are kosher ???

Cheers Girth

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Sold @ £25 which I was happy with.....def not one of the French copies tho' Mark. You can clearly see the difference if you look at this copy on popsike.....https://www.popsike.com/GIL-SCOTT-HERON-The-bottle-7-NORTHERN-SOUL-latin-HEAR/360057258420.html

I've handled both issues numerous times at Crazy Beat, but just had a niggling feeling that the ones that state they are US - not all are kosher ???

Cheers Girth

I'm told that this is a Counterfeit, bought from a Second Hand Shop & Not In The Best Condition.

Has a Scratched in Deadwax Detail. "96772-A" "SG" "SOV"

Each at 120 Degree Point Around Label/Deadwax

STRATA-EAST_2C-004-96-772.jpg

Here's the PopSike copy below, definitely Stamped Matrix & Anti-Slip around label.

PopSike.com

360057258420.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Tht popsike ones the Frenchie Roger.

Full version with the "drunken" intro as the LP

The Belgian release misses the "drunken" intro but apart from that is the same length as LP. Didn't come out til "78 tho (Snow Records)

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul

Is it that the Copy I posted, even though it says Made In France is actually U.S.A. Counterfeit

(Is that the difference) Without Anti Slip, etc

Social source share

Thanks for all the replies guys.....i'd seen all the french issues etc, but not this one any where near as often, and still up the air as to whether this is a proper US copy ????? Surely any bootleggers would have copied this one rather than the busier french label ???

Cheers Girth

post-1927-12631455674591_thumb.jpeg

post-1927-12631455674591_thumb.jpeg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!