2010-04-04: Stafford, Fancy Another One ?

Hi All

When Chris and I did the last one I said it was a one off. Well five years have passed since then and the love for the venue does not seem to have deminished, so plans are a foot to put on another re-union next year.

So the venue is going to be awesome, and if this time round we can persuade Gary Rushbrooke to do it, what playlist would you most like to hear him spin.

Any other little details or features you would like to see, we are already working on the infamous card school, with many of it's original players ready to lose their shirt in the wee small hours.

Dave

• Replies 609
  • Views 62.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I see that the venue location is out of the bag, yep the original venue.

Went to see it when they were stripping it out, they found that much of the original main room was still intact, behind the newer club fittings and so have included as much of that in the new re-fit. Including the great sprung dance floor.

Gonna be a bit emotional being there again, see the faces and hearing those tunes in that context.

Guest Chris Waterman

will people that are too young and innocent to have gone to the original Stafford be allowed entry ph34r.gif

and when are you thinking of arranging it for?

Kirsty

Lets just say, try not to eat to many Easter Eggs, will give out more info real soon,

so back to the orginal question

What would you like to hear Gary Rushbrooke play in his set?

The old TOTW has been completely refurbished and looks absolutely AWESOME!

Chris.... about time you posted some pics? yes.gif

Probably gonna be the biggest event of 2010 thumbsup.gif

Here you go Mace

Below an entrance view, the main floor and the bar area. As you will see the layout is much as it used to be, a bit more bling, but it 25 years on.

post-3008-12608829420793.gifpost-3008-12608829695527.gifpost-3008-12608829695527.gif

post-3008-12608829823135.gif

Edited by Dave Thorley
Guest Mrs Simsy

will people that are too young and innocent to have gone to the original Stafford be allowed entry ph34r.gif

and when are you thinking of arranging it for?

Can i come too?biggrin.gif

Here you go Mace

Below an entrance view, the main floor and the bar area. As you will see the layout is much as it used to be, a bit more bling, but it 25 years on.

post-3008-12608829420793.gifpost-3008-12608829695527.gifpost-3008-12608829695527.gif

That's one gigantic mirror ball !

Pics of Room 2 please Dave. thumbsup.gif

The venue also has a private roof terrace smoking area off the main room.

No probs Mace.

As an aside, someone was quick off the mark, rang the club and ask if they could book it for allniters, clubs let them down gently. We have an exclusive deal Chris, Mace and myself for using the place for soul events.

Veiws of the other two rooms, not sure which we will be using for the Oldies Room

post-3008-1260886402116.gifpost-3008-1260886402116.gif

post-3008-1260886412728.gif

Edited by Dave Thorley

Hi All

When Chris and I did the last one I said it was a one off. Well five years have passed since then and the love for the venue does not seem to have deminished, so plans are a foot to put on another re-union next year.

Sounds a great idea Dave, keep us posted!

Just one question, maybe relevant only to me, is this a "revival" night or will it be in the spirit of the original Stafford, ie pushing the boundaries & breaking new sounds?

Good luck with the venture.

John.

Guest Chris Waterman

Well this has certainly perked up an otherwise drab tuesday.

How can we get tickets Dave? And will the man in the chip van be onhand outside?

Hi Mikey

Tickets will go on sale in the new year, via the website, the chip van we will work on

Best

Chris W

Sounds a great idea Dave, keep us posted!

Just one question, maybe relevant only to me, is this a "revival" night or will it be in the spirit of the original Stafford, ie pushing the boundaries & breaking new sounds?

Good luck with the venture.

John.

This will be original DJ's playing, their original tunes. Plans are a foot to look at another night that will be 'In The Spirit Of'.

Dave

The last re-union @ the Queens Hall (can't believe it is 5 years ago ?) was a really great night for me. Never did Stafford, BUT I have loved to bits everything that was ever played there. You'll get a few Banbury punters there, Eddie Hubbard will be up for this along with me and others that never made it in the 8t's. Bring it on.

Cheers................ Tom.

Have spoken to Sam about this and he feels that he was only there a short while and so never developed a set of tunes that he could call his Stafford set.

Clarkie, wouldn't we all like to see him somewhere, almost got him to do the Yate re-union a few years back, but in the end a no-show.

Dave, You gotta get Dean Anderson on upstairs doing his Norman Collier impression on the mike, that'll bring back some memories for me..laugh.gif

Guest in town Mikey

The last re-union @ the Queens Hall (can't believe it is 5 years ago ?) was a really great night for me. Never did Stafford, BUT I have loved to bits everything that was ever played there. You'll get a few Banbury punters there, Eddie Hubbard will be up for this along with me and others that never made it in the 8t's. Bring it on.

Cheers................ Tom.

It surprised me that it was 5 years ago too. It was a fantastic night, with the only disappointment being Dave waiting until I had gone to the loo, to play Valerie Lamar. That wont happen this time Dave good.gif

In the photo's of the other rooms. Is the bottom one the upstairs? And the ones on top, downstairs?

It surprised me that it was 5 years ago too. It was a fantastic night, with the only disappointment being Dave waiting until I had gone to the loo, to play Valerie Lamar. That wont happen this time Dave good.gif

In the photo's of the other rooms. Is the bottom one the upstairs? And the ones on top, downstairs?

5 years ago indeed.

Main room is upstairs.

The 2 smaller rooms are downstairs.

Lets try and clear this up, the two rooms shown are down stairs. The original upstairs room was lost in the fire, when it was re-built, it was re-constructed as a two story building. But the oldies room did alternate between the ground floor room and the the second floor room over the years.

Originally the venue would start in the down stairs room, where Gary would start things off, then when the main room became availble, this became the oldies room. Later we had to start in the upstairs second floor room and then move down one floor to the mainroom at 2am and again the start room would become the oldies room.

This worked well except for the 1st anniversary, the room only held about 300, by mid-night we had over 700 in. The reginal manager, that had never visited before came that night and went balistic. We must have had 200 on the stairs alone, due to the madness, security had allowed a hole bunch into the main room local disco as well. Come 2am sorting out who should stay and go, was a nightmare. In the end we had 1500 pay through the doors and god knows how many that had blagged it. One of the best nights there though, except the rent was quadrupled for all the niters that followed, the reginal manager wouldn't have it that this was an exceptional turn out.

Guest in town Mikey

Lets try and clear this up, the two rooms shown are down stairs. The original upstairs room was lost in the fire, when it was re-built, it was re-constructed as a two story building. But the oldies room did alternate between the ground floor room and the the second floor room over the years.

Originally the venue would start in the down stairs room, where Gary would start things off, then when the main room became availble, this became the oldies room. Later we had to start in the upstairs second floor room and then move down one floor to the mainroom at 2am and again the start room would become the oldies room.

This worked well except for the 1st anniversary, the room only held about 300, by mid-night we had over 700 in. The reginal manager, that had never visited before came that night and went balistic. We must have had 200 on the stairs alone, due to the madness, security had allowed a hole bunch into the main room local disco as well. Come 2am sorting out who should stay and go, was a nightmare. In the end we had 1500 pay through the doors and god knows how many that had blagged it. One of the best nights there though, except the rent was quadrupled for all the niters that followed, the reginal manager wouldn't have it that this was an exceptional turn out.

Cheers Dave, that makes sense. That would be quite a funny story, if your wallet hadnt taken quite such a battering. Quadruple? I'm amazed you managed to stay with it as long as you did.

Guest soulmanvirgin

Easter, sunday 4th to be exact

Are we saying this will be a nighter as the last event held here some years ago was a dayer and they dont pull the punters like a nighter does.

Guest in town Mikey

Dave

Can't wait - havin' palpitations just thinking about it.

As to the original question, GR should play Little Stanley (that was one of his wasn't it?).

Anyway, is it going to be the original line-up (Ady Pountain, Richard Searling et al) or 2nd generation (Guy, Keb, Pat etc.)?

Up, up & away......

Thats defo one I associate with him.. The Q - Thats The Way too, although it got loads of plays in the main room too. (I think of Gary as playing upstairs in the top room mostly).

And the one I can never remember, even though I've been told loads of times.

Now that I've missed your thrillin touch

I missed your lovin oh so much

hey hey

I didnt know you didnt love me.

Did Gary ever relent on the beats per minute?

Guest in town Mikey

Hi Vince. I can see you lurkin.

You gotta go mate. Are you stil in touch with Wally? would be great to see him get there. Maybe he can wear his baseball suit thumbup.gif

Guest soulmanvirgin

MISSED THE LAST REUNION - BUT WILL DEFINATELY WILL BE AT THIS

STAFFORD WAS MY 'WIGAN' AND ONLY MISSED TWO ALLNITERS IN THAT ERA - GR8 DAYS - ROLL ON APRIL!!!!!

Mark, I never did wigan but cut my teeth listening to Keb & Guy here. Brilliant news for the new year i think. Shane & Bev.

Are we saying this will be a nighter as the last event held here some years ago was a dayer and they dont pull the punters like a nighter does.

It's a nighter (9.00 p.m. - 8.00 a.m.) on the Easter Sunday night.

Full details are on the flyer on post 13, though I'm sure Dave will be adding more details to the flyer for it's second print run at the end of January :thumbsup:

The venue was Zanzibars when the dayer was held there, and Zanzibars had made a right mess of the venue, building a massive walk around bar on top of the upstairs dancefloor etc.

The new owners have recently refurbished it to an amazing standard with plenty of WOW factor.

A truly fantastic addition the next years calender good.gif

oh my god,oh my god,OH MY FOOKIN GOD !!!!!!! if i can make this it will literally be heaven on earth,for me the greatest allnighter in the world ever, getting emotional just at the thought of this,AMAZING!!! the 60s mafia,at the same venue,on the same stage again, heaven i tell ya,heaven !!25 years on