2010-04-04: Stafford, Fancy Another One ?

Guest James Trouble

James, lighten up, it is what it is. A chance to get together, remember some good times and have a dance. Many that attend still fight the good fight, but maybe they are allowed one night off to just wollow in a bit of nastalgia.

Apart from Lifeline, few people are that interested in a full on newies type event nowdays. I've run several in the last few years, Berekley and Solihull, few people came, including you. So whats you point

Dave

So you're saying the real reason Stafford was special is no longer relevant? That it now has to be a nostalgia trip to be full of people? Have the people, the punters, who made Stafford special really changed that much? Would a reopening of the venue, under Top Dog promotions, with the best DJ line up the world has to offer playing the very best, most exciting soul music available in the world today, the same formula as what made it successful in the first place, not work? It's sad to think that it wouldn't? A phoenix from the flames...

Maybe there just isn't enough exciting "northern soul" left? Worth a shot though, surely?

Personally I can't stand this nostalgic "back in the day" stuff, it doesn't do anything for me.

BTW I wouldn't say Lifeline's full on newies. Even Cliff has admitted on here, and posted playlists to back it up, that he has to compromise when he DJs there.

Edited by James Trouble
  • Replies 609
  • Views 62.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

So you're saying the real reason Stafford was special is no longer relevant? That it now has to be a nostalgia trip to be full of people? Have the people, the punters, who made Stafford special really changed that much? Would a reopening of the venue, under Top Dog promotions, with the best DJ line up the world has to offer playing the very best, most exciting soul music available in the world today, the same formula as what made it successful in the first place, not work? It's sad to think that it wouldn't? A phoenix from the flames...

Maybe there just isn't enough exciting "northern soul" left? Worth a shot though, surely?

Personally I can't stand this nostalgic "back in the day" stuff, it doesn't do anything for me.

BTW I wouldn't say Lifeline's full on newies. Even Cliff has admitted on here, and posted playlists to back it up, that he has to compromise when he DJs there.

Firstly James as I said and you didn't responed to, I have over the last few years tried such events and people including you didn't support it. I'm feed up with this general moan, 'Why doesn't someone do......', so you do and those same people don't support it.

Secondly I would love to do something along those lines here, but the only dates we could get clashed with Lifeline and also there are to many other promoters involved in this event with differing views to make it work.

Dave

Guest in town Mikey

Hi James

Happy new year buddy. Hope to catch up soon somewhere. thumbsup.gif

My reasons for being excited enough to spew are probably like someone who hasnt seen their best friends in years, for whatever reason, and they have that chance for a fleeting reunion, in the place they came to know and love their friends.

I couldn't ever imagine going to a school reunion. As much as school was Ok, and I knew some great people there.

Stafford was where I chose to be most weekends every other week. It is full of happy memories of tunes that kept me going in the 13 days in between niters. And thats why I will be there.

Having a one off reunion, in the same building, doing the same trip beforehand, as I will be bringing a mate who used to attend from Dursley along with me, isnt in the same world as going to a regular oldies night (for me).

As has been said previously. Some of the tunes still to this day, havent made it onto the Northern Soul top 500 list. mainly due to their obscurity. So again, I see it as different.

Also the last event was 5 years ago. So its hardly been done to death. These tunes were oh so special at the time, and we are lucky that many to this day retain that air of mystique that brought us to Stafford in the first place. Even ones that probably have made it onto the top 500 list like Suspicion, will IMO sound oh so much better, because this is the place I first heard it.

I dont see an oxymoron of turning up to Stafford and hearing Gladys Knight - Its too late on acetate, as its probably going to be the only place we'll hear that played in 2010 unfortunately. (I could be wrong but hey, I'm on a roll)

If it is half as good (I;m expecting twice as good) as the one 5 years ago, it will be worth all the expectation. If its anywhere near as good as Dave's "Yate" night in Berkeley. It will be worth the trip.

Others will have a myriad of different reasons for going, ranging from, they never went, to wishing they had not bitten off their noses and chosen not to go.

You're a good mate James so I'm not asking this to be insulting. But maybe arent you actually doing the biting right now? Like so many did back then, leading Dave and the rest to actually struggle to break even with often quite low attendances. Their loss was our gain, because looking back, there shouldnt have been an inch of dancefloor available all night. I cant imagine there will be too much room available at Easter.

Edited by in town Mikey
Guest James Trouble

Firstly James as I said and you didn't responed to, I have over the last few years tried such events and people including you didn't support it. I'm feed up with this general moan, 'Why doesn't someone do......', so you do and those same people don't support it.

Secondly I would love to do something along those lines here, but the only dates we could get clashed with Lifeline and also there are to many other promoters involved in this event with differing views to make it work.

Dave

Surely Stafford, as far as I understand it, put the emphasis onto new discoveries and made people reevaluate their concept of what a northern soul record was or could be and that is it's legacy?

Besides that, going by a lot of what Keb has played me that he spun there, it's not necessarily a good thing to nostalge over (is that a word?) many of the tunes that were spun there anyway :lol:

Guest James Trouble

Hi James

Happy new year buddy. Hope to catch up soon somewhere. thumbsup.gif

My reasons for being excited enough to spew are probably like someone who hasnt seen their best friends in years, for whatever reason, and they have that chance for a fleeting reunion, in the place they came to know and love their friends.

I couldn't ever imagine going to a school reunion. As much as school was Ok, and I knew some great people there.

Stafford was where I chose to be most weekends every other week. It is full of happy memories of tunes that kept me going in the 13 days in between niters. And thats why I will be there.

Having a one off reunion, in the same building, doing the same trip beforehand, as I will be bringing a mate who used to attend from Dursley along with me, isnt in the same world as going to a regular oldies night (for me).

As has been said previously. Some of the tunes still to this day, havent made it onto the Northern Soul top 500 list. mainly due to their obscurity. So again, I see it as different.

Also the last event was 5 years ago. So its hardly been done to death. These tunes were oh so special at the time, and we are lucky that many to this day retain that air of mystique that brought us to Stafford in the first place. Even ones that probably have made it onto the top 500 list like Suspicion, will IMO sound oh so much better, because this is the place I first heard it.

I dont see an oxymoron of turning up to Stafford and hearing Gladys Knight - Its too late on acetate, as its probably going to be the only place we'll hear that played in 2010 unfortunately. (I could be wrong but hey, I'm on a roll)

If it is half as good (I;m expecting twice as good) as the one 5 years ago, it will be worth all the expectation. If its anywhere near as good as Dave's "Yate" night in Berkeley. It will be worth the trip.

Others will have a myriad of different reasons for going, ranging from, they never went, to wishing they had not bitten off their noses and chosen not to go.

You're a good mate James so I'm not asking this to be insulting. But maybe arent you actually doing the biting right now? Like so many did back then, leading Dave and the rest to actually struggle to break even with often quite low attendances. Their loss was our gain, because looking back, there shouldnt have been an inch of dancefloor available all night. I cant imagine there will be too much room available at Easter.

Fair points, as usual Mikey. As you say it's hardly you're run of the mill oldies job, but in the "spirit of Stafford" I'm just asking a few questions of what northern soul is, has been, or could be... :lol:

Edited by James Trouble

Surely Stafford, as far as I understand it, put the emphasis onto new discoveries and made people reevaluate their concept of what a northern soul record was or could be and that is it's legacy?

Besides that, going by a lot of what Keb has played me that he spun there, it's not necessarily a good thing to nostalge over (is that a word?) many of the tunes that were spun there anyway laugh.gif

Very true, but this isn't a response to either of my posts. You ask for something then don't support attempts to deliver this, or was it that you weren't booked to DJ or you already had a booking at a major oldies event.

Guest James Trouble

Very true, but this isn't a response to either of my posts. You ask for something then don't support attempts to deliver this, or was it that you weren't booked to DJ or you already had a booking at a major oldies event.

Actually, I think you did book me to DJ at one those events you mentioned, I remember Soul Sam was on after me, and John and Ali were there, there was a dodgy house room with not one person in there, and there were only about 20 people in the main room in total, if that, and you didn't pay me for it, wasn't it a February event?

I think I was DJing somewhere else at the other one, maybe Porto or Helsinki so I couldn't attend, I apologise for that, what date was it, might still be in my diary so I can tell you exactly why I couldn't be there? :lol:

Edited by James Trouble

Fair points, as usual Mikey. As you say it's hardly you're run of the mill oldies job, but in the "spirit of Stafford" I'm just asking a few questions of what northern soul is, has been, or could be... :lol:

It could be held in a shopping centre.... :lol:

James, how many venues do you believe are truly upfront without relying on a good stock of big oldies to fall back on?

I'm relying on you being brutally honest here(as usual)

Out of those how many attract 300+?

To use the original venue is, in itself, a nostalgia trip.....to try and fill it with an upfront 'spirit of Stafford' playlist would be impossible.

Take it you're not coming then?

I for one Dave will be in attendance,i used to love Stafford and i look foward to it again.

As for James was he born when Stafford was in full swing???whistling.gif

James please stop being so negative about our scene,even after 30+ years i still love it,the sounds,the people and yes even the promotors.if you dont agree with it you dont have to go,i actualy like you as a person but for one so young you have far to much anger/bitterness regarding other peoples events etc........chill mate(or illspill the beans on !!!!).

Toby

we'll be there make no mistake. I will bring my top dog membership card hoping for a freebie whistling.gif:lol: (only jokin Dave). Debbie n me will be bringing a real Stafford stalwart all the way from Australia, Webby, especially for this event good.gif . plenty of goodies will be played i'm sure.

A nosalgia trip ? indeed i hope so! we're lookin forward to it

Guest James Trouble

It could be held in a shopping centre.... laugh.gif

James, how many venues do you believe are truly upfront without relying on a good stock of big oldies to fall back on?

I'm relying on you being brutally honest here(as usual)

Out of those how many attract 300+?

To use the original venue is, in itself, a nostalgia trip.....to try and fill it with an upfront 'spirit of Stafford' playlist would be impossible.

Take it you're not coming then?

Aye, shopping centers with more mugs for sale than there are mugs on the dance floor :lol:

Upfront events, in the style of Stafford, none at all in this country, not truely upfront. Hard to say how many would be attracted, but in recent years there were 600+ at the Soul Rev' allnighters, and 400+ at the Whole Thing allnighters. In Europe there are many, to name two Malmoe gets 600+, Oslo similar sort of figures, not sure on numbers for Honky and Pomonkey's New York party but it's pretty cutting edge musically by the looks of it.

Interesting point on the ability to fill a playlist and what constitutes 'upfront' and for me addresses the essense of what makes northern soul so exciting.

With a rigid concept of what is or is not 'northern soul' I imagine it was almost impossible at Stafford to be so 'upfront' without them rewritting the rule book, so without a rewrite of the rule book now, Stafford stylee, it's not going to happen.

Edited by James Trouble

Aye, shopping centers with more mugs for sale than there are mugs on the dance floor laugh.gif

Upfront events, in the style of Stafford, none at all in this country, not truely upfront. Hard to say how many would be attracted, but in recent years there were 600+ at the Soul Rev' allnighters, and 400+ at the Whole Thing allnighters. In Europe there are many, to name two Malmoe gets 600+, Oslo similar sort of figures, not sure on numbers for Honky and Pomonkey's New York party but it's pretty cutting edge musically by the looks of it.

Interesting point on the ability to fill a playlist and what constitutes 'upfront' and for me addresses the essense of what makes northern soul so exciting.

With a rigid concept of what is or is not 'northern soul' I imagine it was almost impossible at Stafford to be so 'upfront' without them rewritting the rule book, so without a rewrite of the rule book now, Stafford stylee, it's not going to happen.

little james, you were still sucking on mummys tit when we were going to stafford, yes, were having a stafford reunion, so what, if you dont agree with it, dont go, simple, i for one am well looking forward to it, as are a lot of others, when you get a bit older you'll understand what memories are, unfortunatly until you do get a bit older your only memories will be of climbing trees, making dens & playing hop scotch,

Aye, shopping centers with more mugs for sale than there are mugs on the dance floor laugh.gif

James, there isn't many records ANYWHERE that are truly unknown. How many at say Soul Revolution are actually into the scene, nowhere near the 600+ in attendance that is for sure. There aren't that many converts to the scene either. All I see in your posts these days is negativity and in some cases bitterness. Maybe I'm reading too much into your posts but regardless why not take it somewhere else. As has been said lighten up, the Stafford Reunion is something many are looking forward too.

As has already been said many of the records, not just from Stafford but from the later 80's and even the early 90's are still largely unknown the the scene in general, and that includes you and the promoters above you mention. Even the venues you mention above play a large percentage of "oldies" that are well known to many over here so they are no more cutting edge than what you get over here. For a venue that holds a few 100 you cannot play 100% unknowns and hope to have a successful night. You have to play some of the better oldies, forgotten oldies etc and encourage people to actively listen to the newer stuff and hopefully one day they might just catch on!!

Now can we get back to the topic in question and that is the Stafford reunion. If you've nothing positive about it to say then don't post, start another topic elsewhere on the forum.

Edited by chalky

No compromise about it James. Lifeline's about recent finds and rarer, underplayed tunes, and in my view the music policy allows plenty of room for a few Stafford era spins...........some of which are still new to some.... aren't they ?

You just have to check the current thread for hot tips for 2010 to spot some Stafford plays of 20 years ago, to see that a reunion all-nighter will still bring fresh music to some people's ears.

Without a doubt the music we can anticipate for the reunion will be as far away from the usual unimaginative oldies sets as you you can get, so park your negativity in your hot box, and leave this to the grown ups.

The argument about "upfront" is a valid one, and one that could run into 6 pages - however this event is nothing to do with that, and should be a celebration of this Iconic club, and should be applauded & celebrated on that basis alone. I do think, however, it would be ridiculous to use the event as a launch pad for "something different" as was seen at the "disaster" that was Berkeley, off the back of the incredibly successfull, and brilliant Yate revival. I will be in attendance, for sure, even if I was only 3 at the timewhistling.gif

Des Parker

Guest James Trouble

James, there isn't many records ANYWHERE that are truly unknown. How many at say Soul Revolution are actually into the scene, nowhere near the 600+ in attendance that is for sure. There aren't that many converts to the scene either. All I see in your posts these days is negativity and in some cases bitterness. Maybe I'm reading too much into your posts but regardless why not take it somewhere else. As has been said lighten up, the Stafford Reunion is something many are looking forward too.

As has already been said many of the records, not just from Stafford but from the later 80's and even the early 90's are still largely unknown the the scene in general, and that includes you and the promoters above you mention. Even the venues you mention above play a large percentage of "oldies" that are well known to many over here so they are no more cutting edge than what you get over here. For a venue that holds a few 100 you cannot play 100% unknowns and hope to have a successful night. You have to play some of the better oldies, forgotten oldies etc and encourage people to actively listen to the newer stuff and hopefully one day they might just catch on!!

Now can we get back to the topic in question and that is the Stafford reunion. If you've nothing positive about it to say then don't post, start another topic elsewhere on the forum.

Actually Chalky, the topic in question is:

"So the venue is going to be awesome, and if this time round we can persuade Gary Rushbrooke to do it, what playlist would you most like to hear him spin.

Any other little details or features you would like to see..."

So my questions are not only on topic they also highlight what Stafford stood for and what made it stand out from the crowd, which is more than any of your whoop whoop horaar posts have done on this thread. And I wasn't even there! :huh:

If you or others can not see that there's not much point contributing to any discussion about Stafford's legacy, and as this is in "All About Soul" and not "Events" and given Dave's open question to start it, I think a discussion about the importance of and the relevance of Stafford today is fitting to this section?

I don't see why I should defend myself, so if any syncophants have a problem use the report post to moderator button if you feel I have broken any forum rules.

Chalky, you also ask: "How many at say Soul Revolution are actually into the scene, nowhere near the 600+ in attendance that is for sure."

I assume you want an answer, it was 50/50, the other events mentioned are similar, as are many others promoted in a 'Euro style'. I understand you have not been to any, at all?

I'll also ask you in return, how many of the people who will attend a Stafford reunion playing only tunes that were spun at Stafford in the 1980s will attend an event that is run in the true spirit of Stafford with progressive, unknown, underplayed, boundary testing sounds and are into the music like they were when they made Stafford special in the first place?

I find it hard to beleive, or maybe I naively don't want to believe, like really really don't want to believe, that if it was done in the original venue with the orginal policy of "classic oldies, current monsters and future floor fillers (in equal measures but with the focus on the new) played off original vinyl only", with an aggressive world wide promotion it wouldn't be rammed?

It seems to me that perhap there are those who are into the music, there are those who are into the scene and depending on the answer to the above question, that worryingly perhaps there are very few in the UK who are into both, even if they used to be?

Careful out on those roads if you're working today.

Edited by James Trouble

Reading all these post in some ways I am amazed and a little hubbled that this venue still evokes so much passion. I have to be honest and say that when Chris first came to me with the idea of a second one I was less than excited. The past is the past and what happens now is more important, but as someone said to me 'This isn't about you, it's about all the people that made this venue so special'. What swung it for me was a chance to use the original club and yes for one night to celebrate, some good times and music.

As Des said you could fill pages on the scene today and treads on here often do and he is also right about the Berekley event, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but hey we live and learn. I'm going to have a great night and enjoy of few memories, and then as always focus on today and championing good fresh soul music, wether it be a new 60's thing, underplayed tune, funky vibe, modern shuffler or boogie bouncer. Everyone has a part to play and most soul music genres.

I hope James does come and enjoys the night with the rest of us, I also expect him to keep on asking questions, he does promote lively debate.

I've made a new year resolution to nicer to peoplethumbup.gif

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley

Dave, it's going to be a blinder of an event, I suppose it's too early to book a sales table!!

Des Parker

Good man, back to the more mundane and logistics for the event. Here is a response to a few things we have been asked

• There will be a limited number of dealer tables available, but we need to go to the club to check on how many we can provide.
  • Tickets should be with Chris in the next few weeks and will go straight on sale then
  • For those wanting to organise a coach, yes we will be doing coach organiser deals on 40/50 seaters, contact Chris
  • Hotels, nearer the date we will let you have info on this
  • Will we be selling Stafford coffee mugs, slippers, tea towels on the night, NOlaugh.gif

I am looking forward to this so much! Although I am just that little bit too young to have attended, I did spend my formative years at events that you could say were influenced by Stafford. Venues like Parr Hall, Morecambe and Tony's. I am expecting the music to be far from safe and same old and will be absolutely delighted if I don't hear too much funk and non descript R&B for a change that seems to be the in thing nowadays if you are in the know ha ha.

Is it the track I've uploaded as unknown? I can't remember what it is, but Keb used to play it

"Now that I've missed your thrillin touch

I missed your lovin oh so much

hey hey

I didnt know you didnt love me."

Apologies if you've already got your answer guys, as I'm only just reading through this thread properly, but those are the lyrics to Wilbur Reynolds "Who'll Cry" (Resist)....possibly the greatest C/U ever, as it was covered as Carol Waller!!smile.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R

There's nothing hypocritcal about paying a bit of respect to a milestone venue.

Attempting to compare a Stafford reunion night to the general oldies scene is taking it a bit far when you consider that very few of the tunes played at the time have found their way to oldies venue playlists even now.

The true spirit of Stafford does live on at Lifeline, but then so does a fair chunk of the Stafford playlist.

It'll be a great night for those that appreciate and acknowledge a great time.

Spot on... could not have said it better...see you there

Nomad ph34r.gif

The argument about "upfront" is a valid one, and one that could run into 6 pages - however this event is nothing to do with that, and should be a celebration of this Iconic club, and should be applauded & celebrated on that basis alone. I do think, however, it would be ridiculous to use the event as a launch pad for "something different" as was seen at the "disaster" that was Berkeley, off the back of the incredibly successfull, and brilliant Yate revival. I will be in attendance, for sure, even if I was only 3 at the timewhistling.gif

Des Parker

3 MY ASS!

I dunno Sean, you all used to go with your teacher didnt you

Yes - IN A CAR STOLEN FOR THE EVENING FROM KEV'S DAD! WHAT WOULD THE HEADMASTER HAVE SAID!

Happy New Year to you Mike!

Don't you start read the whole thread, we've been here already:laugh:

Hi Dave, I have read the whole thread and grown a beard while doing so - it's taken so long (my reading age of 4 and a half doesn't help mind), but I still don't know for sure what sort of music I'm going to hear! I hope to hear very few of the Northern Soul top 500 and plenty of records that were broken at Stafford (not all soul I grant you). But I suppose the point of a reunion type gig is to meet old friends and enjoy yourself not spend all night theorising about the music, I myself will endeavour to have a good time if I go, is anyone else planning to do so as this thread seems a bit serious?

At the risk of being a hypocritical bugger I will now go on to theorise about the music for a bit. For me the whole point of letting you take me up there time after time (and not even asking for petrol money!) when I could have had a far better time at home in front of the telly was hearing what were then new sounds as in just released. I remember you yourself playing the likes of Kashif and Unique, Searling playing great album tracks by Teddy P and Marc Sadane and Soul Sam bringing the latest import twelves by acts including Jamie Lynn and The Latest. I grant you that all these records are now 25+ years old so hardly new but will those of us who used to go get to hear any of them again, or am I the only one who wants to?

Different topic but I can't be arsed to pm you, have you got a copy of that thing on 8-ball records that Jerry played on GFM the other morning - I'm not paying 20 quid for it mind!

Well done to you and everyone else for getting this gig together, hope it pays off.

PS did I ever thank you for the many times you took me up to Stafford and let me in for nothing?

Don't you start read the whole thread, we've been here already:laugh:

Oh...yes, just read it! I used to go to Stafford and loved it...have always said it was a milestone venue. But, that last revival didnt do it for me...I didnt hear any beat ballads and there was alot of tunes repeated (some 4 times!) throughout the night. Seemed to be a lot of repeated Stafford biggies?!Do the Stafford djs still have those original tunes that we associate with it? Or did they all keep the same Stafford biggies?

If its going to be a revival reflective of the diverse nature of the original venue, then YES, but the djs need to dig a bit deeper than the last one.

Obviously only my humble opinion.

On the other hand perhaps a mix of Stafford oldies and to stay true to the original ethos, unveil some new discoveries that inspire and excite?

Hi Dave, I have read the whole thread and grown a beard while doing so - it's taken so long (my reading age of 4 and a half doesn't help mind), but I still don't know for sure what sort of music I'm going to hear! I hope to hear very few of the Northern Soul top 500 and plenty of records that were broken at Stafford (not all soul I grant you). But I suppose the point of a reunion type gig is to meet old friends and enjoy yourself not spend all night theorising about the music, I myself will endeavour to have a good time if I go, is anyone else planning to do so as this thread seems a bit serious?

At the risk of being a hypocritical bugger I will now go on to theorise about the music for a bit. For me the whole point of letting you take me up there time after time (and not even asking for petrol money!) when I could have had a far better time at home in front of the telly was hearing what were then new sounds as in just released. I remember you yourself playing the likes of Kashif and Unique, Searling playing great album tracks by Teddy P and Marc Sadane and Soul Sam bringing the latest import twelves by acts including Jamie Lynn and The Latest. I grant you that all these records are now 25+ years old so hardly new but will those of us who used to go get to hear any of them again, or am I the only one who wants to?

Different topic but I can't be arsed to pm you, have you got a copy of that thing on 8-ball records that Jerry played on GFM the other morning - I'm not paying 20 quid for it mind!

Well done to you and everyone else for getting this gig together, hope it pays off.

PS did I ever thank you for the many times you took me up to Stafford and let me in for nothing?

First to the new release stuff have spoken to Robin about this and he is planning a very special set that will bring much of that alive again.

The 8-Ball thing is one of the few I don't have.

As for letting you in for nothing, hey some nights it seemed like we let half the people in for nothing, either no jobs or on strike/picket line, both equaled no money. The good old days in Thatcher's Britain

Dave

First to the new release stuff have spoken to Robin about this and he is planning a very special set that will bring much of that alive again.

The 8-Ball thing is one of the few I don't have.

As for letting you in for nothing, hey some nights it seemed like we let half the people in for nothing, either no jobs or on strike/picket line, both equaled no money. The good old days in Thatcher's Britain

Dave

Well I might even come then!! Don't worry I'll bring some money with me. Here's an idea though as it's a bit of a revival why not revive the original admission price as well! HA HA HA!

Cheers

Sean

As has already been said many of the records, not just from Stafford but from the later 80's and even the early 90's are still largely unknown the the scene in general,

I agree Chalky and thats what i was hoping to hear at the last revival. But, as i said, i heard the same tunes (big Stafford oldies) repeated quite a few times. SO, lets take this as a positive criticism and let the djs sort it out and co-ordinate a bit, so that they dont repeat and dig deep for those great eclectic sounds that Stafford was known and loved for.yes.gif

Guest Chris Waterman

As has already been said many of the records, not just from Stafford but from the later 80's and even the early 90's are still largely unknown the the scene in general,

I agree Chalky and thats what i was hoping to hear at the last revival. But, as i said, i heard the same tunes (big Stafford oldies) repeated quite a few times. SO, lets take this as a positive criticism and let the djs sort it out and co-ordinate a bit, so that they dont repeat and dig deep for those great eclectic sounds that Stafford was known and loved for.:yes:

Hi Paul

After the last REUNION, five years ago, we took some criticism from some regarding the sound system, what had been repeated and what had not been played by certain DJ's and we all agreed it was deserved.

So when Dave, Mace and I met to sort matters for the 25 year Reunion, these points were again discussed, the sound system is state of the art and Dave will be sorting all other matters with Dj's booked for the event

hope this in a small way answers your concerns and you enjoy the 25 year Reunion

Best

Chris W

Hi Paul

After the last REUNION, five years ago, we took some criticism from some regarding the sound system, what had been repeated and what had not been played by certain DJ's and we all agreed it was deserved.

So when Dave, Mace and I met to sort matters for the 25 year Reunion, these points were again discussed, the sound system is state of the art and Dave will be sorting all other matters with Dj's booked for the event

hope this in a small way answers your concerns and you enjoy the 25 year Reunion

Best

Chris W

Great Chris, good to hear from a promoter that listens to feedback from paying punters. Should be a great night. Im actually sick to death of s--t sound systems on the Northern scene and its nice that its being addressed. Makes no sense to play tunes that cost so much on systems that sound so weak and muffled! best Paul

Guest mickeyb

Don't really care what's played - it was always quality the first couple of years (unfortunately I'd packed it all in by the time of the halcyon years of Keb etc).

Be nice to see a few old faces - Mace from Bolton, Nick from Nottingham, Clarkey (go on I dare ya!).

Guest James Trouble

On the other hand perhaps a mix of Stafford oldies and to stay true to the original ethos, unveil some new discoveries that inspire and excite?

In theory that would be an ideal approach, to make it relevant to me as a punter who was not at the original nighters. A kind of 'pick up where it left off'? Are the DJs up to the challenge? :wicked:

Edited by James Trouble
Guest Stuart Raith

Hey up Dave - keeping up a good fight ;-)

If I could close my eyes and dream of little pieces of vinyl with blank white labels scribed with big bold black felt tip titles that you knew weren't real, but somehow seemed just right!

Guy H and yourself quietly elevated this post-Wigan venue into a huge version of Accrington's Spinning Jenny. The hunger for the underexposed 45 had to eventually surface with an almost aggressive fervour, a great intensity and passion for the 'secret-sound', the underdog who's day had dawned!

If I could close my my eyes and see: Rob Marriott, Jimmy Wizz, Russ Coe, Stan, Barry W, Billy Mercer, Billy Stewart, Brad, Dave Molloy, Dave Alcock, Shaun Pawsey, Giz, Gilly, Jock and Colin, Stigger, Dean, Pete Lawson, Click, Tim F, Bernie Gouldin, Salmon, Gary Kellett, I'd say to them... lads 25 years is going to pass us by REALLY quickly. Wigan Casino was a previous incarnation, and all them fit birds we fell in love with will look much younger than we do in 25 years time ;-)

Alas, this is just a snapshot of names and there were many more that made TOTW - top of the world.

Stu Raith - aka Boogaloo Master, Lancashire A Go-Go, S*F stomper.

Accrington

Lancashire

Available for DJ work. Playlist available on request. Includes master tape dubs from Hot wax, Invictus and So-Sho.

James, lighten up, it is what it is. A chance to get together, remember some good times and have a dance. Many that attend still fight the good fight, but maybe they are allowed one night off to just wollow in a bit of nastalgia.

Apart from Lifeline, few people are that interested in a full on newies type event nowdays. I've run several in the last few years, Berekley and Solihull, few people came, including you. So whats you point

Dave

post-2182-12630720608265_thumb.jpg

post-2182-12630720709501_thumb.jpg

post-2182-12630720803985_thumb.jpg

post-2182-12630720946128_thumb.jpg

post-2182-12630721042163_thumb.jpg

post-2182-12630720608265_thumb.jpg

post-2182-12630720709501_thumb.jpg

post-2182-12630720803985_thumb.jpg

post-2182-12630720946128_thumb.jpg

post-2182-12630721042163_thumb.jpg

I'm pleased that Dave has got me on board for this.

I must say I initially took some convincing - not sure whether another revival would work and not really on the scene now, so to speak...but seeing the response that has been provoked and knowing how important the TOTW was to so many (and to me) got me on track. I'm also sure some of those sorely missed friends/characters no longer around would gag at the chance to go back for one more time...so it would be rude of me not to.

Yes Sean I remember some of the cracking New Releases of the time Richard and Sam used to play (Good to see someone else does..never thought I'ld see The Latest mentioned in a Soul-Source thread!!)- I'll be trying to reflect those in my spot as well as some of my own favourites that I played in the latter days of Stafford. I know Modern stuff wasn't the main player at TOTW - and maybe less so after Richard and then Sam moved on - but it was always an important part of the venue (Obviously Dave, Richard,Sam, Adam but I also remember Clarky, Adey P, Pat and Dave Withers all playing some decent records) and it's good that Dave wants this to be remembered.

Now if we can get Gary Baker to do the cloakroom it really will be an authentic revival!

I must say I initially took some convincing - not sure whether another revival would work and not really on the scene now, so to speak...but seeing the response that has been provoked and knowing how important the TOTW was to so many (and to me) got me on track. I'm also sure some of those sorely missed friends/characters no longer around would gag at the chance to go back for one more time...so it would be rude of me not to.

Yes Sean I remember some of the cracking New Releases of the time Richard and Sam used to play (Good to see someone else does..never thought I'ld see The Latest mentioned in a Soul-Source thread!!)- I'll be trying to reflect those in my spot as well as some of my own favourites that I played in the latter days of Stafford. I know Modern stuff wasn't the main player at TOTW - and maybe less so after Richard and then Sam moved on - but it was always an important part of the venue (Obviously Dave, Richard,Sam, Adam but I also remember Clarky, Adey P, Pat and Dave Withers all playing some decent records) and it's good that Dave wants this to be remembered.

Now if we can get Gary Baker to do the cloakroom it really will be an authentic revival!

I'm so, so pleased your part of the team, but you know that. It is important to me that THE WHOLE of what made Stafford special is remember on the night. Top Man

Dave

Top Man, Let's hope they don't put you on at 6am cuz I will be fast asleep! Maybe the "Modern" stuff could kick things off like it used to do back in the early days with Richard Searling being one of the first on (I kept the decks warm for him a couple of times and he said that he didn't like to drive home in the early hours for fear of falling asleep at the wheel!)

You say that the modern stuff was not the main player but I do remember many tracks (Greg Perry for instance) that were pretty much new releases at the time and went on to become real TOTW anthems so don't let the 60's mafia run us modern soul fans out of town!

Keep the (Modern Soul) Faith

Sean