2010-04-04: Stafford, Fancy Another One ?

don't no why anyone is complaining. I can't wait, gonna be a great night, nostalgia for those that want it and the "Spirit of Stafford" as it's termed for those that want to "move on" for want of a better phrase. If you are not interested in the third room stay in the other two :hatsoff2:

Edited by chalky
  • Replies 609
  • Views 63k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest mark hanson

Hi Mark

Staying firm on this, the whole point is to have original DJ's playing the tunes they played back then, for one night only a moment in time relived. The exception being John, he is there as there where more records played than time will allow on the night and he helped out at the last minute at the last one, so this is a thanks. Other wise lets just have another oldies thing, plus many of the tunes played on the night are still to this day underplayed gems.

Yes there are so many DJ's that graced the decks there, that are not on, Pat Brady, Richard Searling, Dave Withers, Soul Sam, Walls Brothers, Jolly etc, but again only so many hours availble.

We have tried to put together a night and a line up that is representative of the venue we all loved. We have also put together a line up that also demonstrated the diversity and imagination of the music players there.

Only so much you can do, I just want everyone that goes to have a great night, feel they have had value for money and for those that want it, a shiver down the spine. This was never about the money, but doing the best we could, a bit like the old event really. Put on a another oldies nite and make lots of money, why ? other people do that.

Dave

Dave, you missed my point somewhat regarding dj's who are still djing on the scene like yourself, Guy etc. I simply meant that wouldn't you long to hear Keb shout down the mic 'right you bastards get on the dance floor and listen to this one ........' and play a brand newly discovered hard core 6T's dancer that would blow the minds of every hardcore collector / dancer and dj in the room. I know I would.

I didn't mean for you to take it that seriously. I agree with Chalky but I wasn't complaining, just that it would be nice to feel that buzz of hearing a Robby Lawson 'Mr Misery' from Pat or Bobby Paris 'Someday' from Guy or The Stagemasters 'Hey Girl You've Changed' from Gary I could go on, Adam playing Kasif 'Rumours'.

I feel more emotional about what the Stafford dj's did than some who went to every nighter. That's why I did all those interviews when I was at Soul Up North. Seeing Gary, the reason I went from being just a dancer to collecting records and starting to dj (Central England Soul Club soul nights in Hinckley)! Why I went to every Bretby nighter you ran Dave. Why I rode my scooter from Loughborough to Blackburn in a blizzard and 8 hours cause Guy ran it. It'll be 1983/4 for me when I walk in the place just like it was when Pep did a special nighter there in 94 and when I dj'd at the venue for Pep instead of Ted Massey.

I bloody cant wait and keep the 3rd room for gods sake - but most of all dont worry, it will be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:yes::hatsoff2::yes:yes.gif:yes::ohmy::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Mark

(Falling off his soap box ahhhhhhh):hatsoff2:

Spoke to Mark Freeman on Sat night about not wanting a third room, just 'cause he's loosing weight he should think more of us re-gaining it...I mean it was so nice of Dave Shaw to have grown a massive stomach since i last saw him, just to make us feel beter..keep it up disc

We would have loved a third room at the time as Brad at times, and most times myself and Marc Chackett would dissapear back to his at Rugeley for a little errand and use of private facilities

PH

I also had to say to Steve Sandi is worried about future loss of memory, so i kindly put it in writing that we do have 12 records, and in event of some unfortunate occurence she will be geting half(4) or maybe more than that!!(3)

Edited by harpo1

Just 2 weeks to go folks. Suppose I'd better make sure my father-in-law can have the children - else I'm bringing them with me. I'm sure they'll be alright in the car overnight - won't they....

Really looking forward to this - especially since the 3rd room has been announced.

If you ain't got a ticket, best get one sorted right away!

Just 2 weeks to go folks. Suppose I'd better make sure my father-in-law can have the children - else I'm bringing them with me. I'm sure they'll be alright in the car overnight - won't they....

Really looking forward to this - especially since the 3rd room has been announced.

Morning Kirsty

Yes countdown has started, lots of running round to do. But is gonna be fun, so for all those still thinking, get your tickets now!!!!!!!!!:hypo:

Dave

Kirsty, I'm sure it'll be ok to bring the kids. Keb once brought his dog - named Haggis, if I remember correctly - to Stafford, after they couldn't get a dog sitter! I wonder who else remembers that? laugh.gif

Also, Mr Thorley himself has been known to turn up a nighters with offspring in tow. It helps to have a rocking horse in the building...

Kirsty, I'm sure it'll be ok to bring the kids. Keb once brought his dog - named Haggis, if I remember correctly - to Stafford, after they couldn't get a dog sitter! I wonder who else remembers that? :hypo:

Also, Mr Thorley himself has been known to turn up a nighters with offspring in tow. It helps to have a rocking horse in the building...

....and toy pedel car if I remember right. :P

Dave,

Can you please confirm the music policy in each of the rooms? so many pages on here, i cou;d'nt find definite confirmation of whats goin on where :thumbsup:

looking forward to this. so is my mate from australia (Webby) who will not leave the dancefloor from the minute he gets in there :thumbsup:

Dave,

Can you please confirm the music policy in each of the rooms? so many pages on here, i cou;d'nt find definite confirmation of whats goin on where :shades:

looking forward to this. so is my mate from australia (Webby) who will not leave the dancefloor from the minute he gets in there :lol:

Simple,

Main room, Original DJ's playing the records they played back in the day. As Stafford was a across the board newies event, thats what it will be on the night.

Room Two, Original DJ's playing the records they played back in the day. This was the original oldies room with a difference, under played 60's & 70's classics.

Room Three, Spirit of Stafford, a bunch of DJ's that still play today with the same spirit and attitude.

If people are looking for something simple like this room modern, this room 60's etc, etc then wrong venue, was never that and won't be on the night.

Dave

Could any record dealers turning up on the night please P.M. me in advance me to book table space.

The main record bar will be on the old stage area, which now has steps leading up to it so is more of a raised level, overlooking the main room dancefloor.

It's currently used as a VIP area, and makes an ideal location for record sales.

We are however, limited to space, and can only allow a max of 1 x 200 count box per dealer.

Please keep to this limit.

50 count boxes can obviously be carried around the venue.

Apologies, but we cannot allow more than this.

Also we are only able accomodate record dealers...so basically no clothes/mugs/calenders/car stickers/badges etc etc etc.

Ta muchly...

Mace

Could any record dealers turning up on the night please P.M. me in advance me to book table space.

The main record bar will be on the old stage area, which now has steps leading up to it so is more of a raised level, overlooking the main room dancefloor.

It's currently used as a VIP area, and makes an ideal location for record sales.

We are however, limited to space, and can only allow a max of 1 x 200 count box per dealer.

Also we are only able accomodate record dealers...so basically no clothes/mugs/calenders/car stickers/badges etc etc etc.

Ta muchly...

Mace

Hi Mace,

Is it ticket only or can you just turn up on the night? Heard lots of great things about stafford and i like the the stafford style records! I wouldn't mind seeing what it's all about.

cheers mate

Callum

Ta muchly...

Mace

Can't labour this point enough, if you want table space you need to tell us, please PM Mace:thumbsup:

Hi Mace,

Is it ticket only or can you just turn up on the night? Heard lots of great things about stafford and i like the the stafford style records! I wouldn't mind seeing what it's all about.

cheers mate

Callum

Hi mate.

You can pay on the door @ £15 or buy advance tickets @ £12

I will have some with me at Radcliffe and Hideaway this weekend.

See ya Saturday mate.... :tumbleweed3:

Guest Church

Hopefully coming up from Cheltenham with Budgie - really looking forward to it.

Note to Craig from Shrewsbury - if your going and you read this I would prefer you didn't stick a live light socket in my ear AGAIN when I'm all sweaty from the dance floor (they dangled from the ceiling where they'd taken some of the tables away from around the dance floor) It felt like I'd been whacked by a lump of 2 by 4.

Not long to go, look forward to catching up with friends from all ove and few European folk too...

Its gonna be a special event...

I too have a few tickets left if you see me out this weekend in Manchester....

Real shame that there will be no Northern tat stall, was looking for a mug ( no not you Mace ) .. Never mind...

Not long to go, look forward to catching up with friends from all ove and few European folk too...

Its gonna be a special event...

I too have a few tickets left if you see me out this weekend in Manchester....

Real shame that there will be no Northern tat stall, was looking for a mug ( no not you Mace ) .. Never mind...

You can always order on line and have it delivered there steve

never did stafford as i spent most of the 80s riding all over the country on my italian shopping bike trying to duplicate quadrophenia (gettin b++++++d,not suits mirrors and lights !)....but then again didnt do yate either and the revival night you did at berkley was the best night in the sw i think ive been to so me and nicci should be comin up from bristol.....although it is the night after i'll be doin go go children so gonna be tuff but well worth it me thinks !thumbsup.gif

Guest Mrs Simsy

F'ing wife binned the envelope with my tickets. Another 2 duly ordered.

Now then, back to my patio, shovel and the coprse...angry.gif

ohmy.gif

Tickets arrived today thanks Steve. Name on the envelope made me laugh!:thumbsup:

Was too young for Stafford being a child of the 80's but really can't wait to see what it was all about!:lol:

Some good and bad news

Bad news, the police informed us yesterday that the event can only run until 6am. They tell us that if they let it run until 8am it would go over into another shift change and cost them alot of money and they don't have the budget for it. Policing in YK2!!!!!!!! Although the club has a 24 hour music and dance licence, they don't wish to push the point, as for them it is a new venture and they need to keep on the good side of the local boys in blue.

Also Keith Minshull has decided not to DJ.

Good news, having rung round or emailed all the other DJ's we have a full contingent. All are really excited and have records ready to go. It's really great to see these bunch of guys come together just one more time. We have all moved on, but for one night only we are all going back there, fantastic!!!!!!!!!!. As for time, we will still have full hour sets for everyone as I had built in some slack originally, just incase of unforseen problems.

Edited by Dave Thorley

Some good and bad news

Bad news, the police informed us yesterday that the event can only run until 6am. They tell us that if they let it run until 8am it would go over into another shift change and cost them alot of money and they don't have the budget for it. Policing in YK2!!!!!!!! Although the club has a 24 hour music and dance licence, they don't wish to push the point, as for them it is a new venture and they need to keep on the good side of the local boys in blue.

Good news, having rung round or emailed all the other DJ's we have a full contingent. All are really excited and have records ready to go. It's really great to see these bunch of guys come together just one more time. We have all moved on, but for one night only we are all going back there, fantastic!!!!!!!!!!. As for time, we will still have full hour sets for everyone as I had built in some slack originally, just incase of unforseen problems.

This was going to be my first full all nighter since Wigan - I've only lasted till 6.15pm at Prestatyn and so I was panicking a little about lasting till 8.

Looking forward to it

Although will this mean an earlier start for most?

Some good and bad news

So, just one week to go.:lol::yes:

Some good and bad news

Bad news, the police informed us yesterday that the event can only run until 6am. They tell us that if they let it run until 8am it would go over into another shift change and cost them allot of money and they don't have the budget for it. Policing in YK2!!!!!!!! Although the club has a 24 hour music and dance licence, they don't wish to push the point, as for them it is a new venture and they need to keep on the good side of the local boys in blue.

Dave I am sure this will be no less work for You, Chris and co I think a few of of us may have had doubts if we would get through till 8. It will be great if this event sparks a bit more attention to the Stafford era as there are plenty 40+ soul fans who wouldn't have got much time at Wigan and alike if at all, but have great affection for the tracks that emanated around the country from Stafford and venues of it's time. Maybe more nighters will give more air time to post Wigan tracks too.

See you Sunday

Guest Matt Male

Thought i'd be in Scotland and miss this...

...but no, just ordered my ticket! Can't wait now. :D

I might even park where the Eagle was and walk to the ToTW from there to savour the atmosphere :chinstroke:

Guest Chris Waterman

Hi All,

Some important ticket news, we will STOP selling tickets on line this Thursday night at 10pm, if we have any tickets left they will be on sale on the door on the night of the event, we will NOT reserve any unpaid tickets,

There are a few ticket sellers with books, Steve Cato, Dave Thorley, Mace, Anton Ludwig and Steve Thomas if they have any left they may hold them for you, you can pm via this site.

I am away until Wednesday night so from now, any tickets purchased on line can be collected on the door as we have a Bank Holiday fast approaching and having to rely on the PO is too much of a risk. I will email all of the purchasers on my return with confirmation

Best

Chris W

This was going to be my first full all nighter since Wigan - I've only lasted till 6.15pm at Prestatyn and so I was panicking a little about lasting till 8.

Looking forward to it

Although will this mean an earlier start for most?

Me joining you just got another ticket roll on easter innocent.gif

Just (hopefully) posted up some various photo's from venues in the 1980's including some Top Of The world ones. don't really know if I'm doing any of this right, try looking in members gallery for 1980's, or perhaps this might work.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=15393&do=view_album&album=3742

see if you can see yourself or any of yer mates !

well John,, I just cant get that image outa my head of that pink leotard :yes:

All I can say is this must be the most talked about event, history in the making here, lets make the best of it whilst we can, this is going to be fabulous, and John, I,m really looking forward to hear the Stafford spins, that I know you have in your box, :lol:

glad I have our tickets, a lot of memories will be going on no doubt about it! :lol:

Guest paulf

Hi Mace,

If any record dealers turn up charging 1980's prices please could you ask them to PM me in advance! lol ;-) Can't wait for it.

Paul

Ta muchly...

Mace

Hi Mace,

If any record dealers turn up charging 1980's prices please could you ask them to PM me in advance! lol ;-) Can't wait for it.

Paul

Tell you what Paul, I promise to let you have second dibs :yes:

Mind you, Des Parker will be there with his latest goodies from the States.

Cheap tart that he is, he almost gives 'em away, so that's probably as close as you're gonna get :thumbup:

Mace

don't no why anyone is complaining. I can't wait, gonna be a great night, nostalgia for those that want it and the "Spirit of Stafford" as it's termed for those that want to "move on" for want of a better phrase. If you are not interested in the third room stay in the other two :lol:

Stafford in its day would have suited you right down to the ground Chalky-and with LifeLine you have "The spirit of Stafford" carrying on.

As with all venues Stafford played / discovered some great records and there were some bloody awful ones as well ph34r.gif

Be a great night I'm looking forward to it

See you there

Rob

Guest Matt Male

Hi Mace,

Paul

Oh god if only... sad.gif

Halcyon days indeed...have fun y'all beer.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Just seen this. Brilliant !! .... Derek with hair not only on his top lip & but on his head too ohmy.gif Michael Knight eat your heart out laugh.gif

Craig looks very interested in the mag. Was Soul Up North out then ? .... or is it Derek's lads mag ..... no not that one but .... Shades of Soul !! biggrin.gif

Great picture thumbsup.gif

Guest Northern PhanTom

great days dave,,,,wouldnt change them for the world,,,,the Paper shop over the road to get me mars bar in the morning after the niter!!!!!!

Mine was a bottle of milk Mark, thats if some buggers hadn't nicked em all early doors, from out the crate! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

There's a Tesco's there now with a big car park.. Not sure if you can park overnight it's usually only three hours but may be different as the store will be closed for Easter Sunday and not openning until 9am Easter Monday. Otherwise the nearest car park is 'Riverside' which has a lot of spaces.

Chris has been in touch with the manager at Tescos to see if we could use their carpark for a small charge per car but as far as I am aware this has not been approved....it now seems doubtful that it will be.

Tesco carparks have automated cameras that log your number plate on entry and exit, unless we post any different please do not park on Tescos as you will definately receive a fine (in the region of £70?) a few days later via the post.

Regards

Mace

Chris has been in touch with the manager at Tescos to see if we could use their carpark for a small charge per car but as far as I am aware this has not been approved....it now seems doubtful that it will be.

Tesco carparks have automated cameras that log your number plate on entry and exit, unless we post any different please do not park on Tescos as you will definately receive a fine (in the region of £70?) a few days later via the post.

Regards

Mace

=

ill ave a word with Sir Terry (No.01 at Tesco) see if i can pull a few strings!! - been at Tesco 20 years lol..

Source Advert