2010-04-04: Stafford, Fancy Another One ?

Whoo hoo :)

My only request is a better sound system than the one five years ago. It was torture not being able to hear all that great music!

That said it was still a top night. I wonder if Ady Harley will make it over again?

Joan, the club has only just been re-opened in the last month or so.

As part of the refurbishment the whole sound system throughtout the club is brand new and will undoubtably be very loud and clear.

We will be re-visiting the venue after the New Year and plan to do full sound checks with original vinyl, but I honestly can't forsee any problems.

• Replies 609
  • Views 63k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Some of the Stoke lot - can't remember who - used to run a soul disco (with a bit of reggae thrown in to keep the regulars happy) there on a Saturday. Didn't seem like a gay pub to me - in fact I (southern softie) thought it was rough as f*ck.

I was actually referring to the fact it was shut down and boarded up... :lol::lol:

Guest soulmanvirgin

Matt Brown - Sweet Thing - Jar-Val

Hi New to Soul Source but been attending nighters since Odd Fellows. How do you down load the music from here. some great memories are on the set you put up.

Whoo hoo :yes:

My only request is a better sound system than the one five years ago. It was torture not being able to hear all that great music!

That said it was still a top night. I wonder if Ady Harley will make it over again?

You are right Joan & good to hear they've got a good sound system - it was pretty awful last time.

Don't think Ady will make it over again although it wouldn't half be good to see my old mucker again (before I turn 50 next year....).

As I said in the earlier post I'm getting all sweaty thinking about it (though that's your job isn't Joan?)

Some tunes that have to be played:

Wilbur Reynolds

Jackie Day

Hayes Cotton

Cairos

Larry Davis

The Q

Mr Caldwell

Dynamic 3

Guitar Ray

Anthony & The Aqua Lads

Phonetics

Up, up & away..................

Mick

think the last time i went to TOTW was when Major Lance played there :lol: . Still got my Top Dog membership card somewhere.

anyway, i can't remember the layout of the place (usual for me)..... so i was wondering: the oldies room at that time had a very small dancefloor, surrounded by ballustrades/handrails, a bit night club(ish) etc. but it had a fantastic sound system, probably the best i'd heard up until that time. speakers in the roof. did i imagine it or am i correct? after all it was bloody yrs ago :yes:

p.s. sounds like a superb night is on the cards good.gif

think the last time i went to TOTW was when Major Lance played there :lol: . Still got my Top Dog membership card somewhere.

anyway, i can't remember the layout of the place (usual for me)..... so i was wondering: the oldies room at that time had a very small dancefloor, surrounded by ballustrades/handrails, a bit night club(ish) etc. but it had a fantastic sound system, probably the best i'd heard up until that time. speakers in the roof. did i imagine it or am i correct? after all it was bloody yrs ago :yes:

Ian

Don't remember Major playing there although I saw him at Hinckley.

There was an oldies room - initially it was downstairs but later it was upstairs with the main room as a kind of mezzanine. Both the downstairs and upstairs rooms were small with the former being the smallest. During the classic 60's mafia time (Guy, Keb, Pat, Dave T, Adam, Gary R et al), the upstairs room played all-sorts to kick off the night whilst all the 'townies' were 'disco dancing' until about two(ish) in the main room. Once they went the room opened to us and it was generally Dave T who kicked off (Larry Davis quite often).

Can't remember the sound systems in any of the rooms but I think the main one was generally good.

Happy times indeed.

Some of the Stoke lot - can't remember who - used to run a soul disco (with a bit of reggae thrown in to keep the regulars happy) there on a Saturday. Didn't seem like a gay pub to me - in fact I (southern softie) thought it was rough as f*ck.

It had'nt been a gay pub since the early 70's, the gays went up the road to the Star after a Jamaican named Dave Moodie took it on. I wouldn't say it was rough really although a few prostitutes & their clients used to frequent the place. It was northern on Wednesdays with Tim Ashibende, Dave Alcock, Conno, Blondie, Pablo, me & Bob Germanek and Jazz Funk at the weekend with Phil Oliver at first & later Smelly

Ian

Don't remember Major playing there although I saw him at Hinckley.

There was an oldies room - initially it was downstairs but later it was upstairs with the main room as a kind of mezzanine. Both the downstairs and upstairs rooms were small with the former being the smallest. During the classic 60's mafia time (Guy, Keb, Pat, Dave T, Adam, Gary R et al), the upstairs room played all-sorts to kick off the night whilst all the 'townies' were 'disco dancing' until about two(ish) in the main room. Once they went the room opened to us and it was generally Dave T who kicked off (Larry Davis quite often).

Can't remember the sound systems in any of the rooms but I think the main one was generally good.

Happy times indeed.

I deffo saw him there, very shortly after the Hinckley gig. 2nd time was a huge improvement. i think it was in the new year. I'll check photo's. my memory is hazy :yes:

think the last time i went to TOTW was when Major Lance played there yes.gif . Still got my Top Dog membership card somewhere.

anyway, i can't remember the layout of the place (usual for me)..... so i was wondering: the oldies room at that time had a very small dancefloor, surrounded by ballustrades/handrails, a bit night club(ish) etc. but it had a fantastic sound system, probably the best i'd heard up until that time. speakers in the roof. did i imagine it or am i correct? after all it was bloody yrs ago laugh.gif

The room you're thinking of was the one folk now call the downstairs room, but it became Cinderella Rockerfeller when the whole wine bar thing started ( about 1980 maybe?) and had a entrance to the left of the main room I think. There was a way through to the main club, but sometimes I think there was a door and other times I think there wasn't?

This was a great little room and had a different atmosphere to the upstairs room (a.k.a. The Grot, or grotto as some called it) Possibly because the dj's who did the sets in there were different to the dj's who played upstairs in later years, and of course as times moved on attitudes hardened as to what was and wasn't acceptable deck material. Some of my fave dj's in that downstairs room were the likes of Chris Plant & Esher, probably Nick too.

Towards the later part of Stafford we used to jokingly call the upstairs room the Jackie Wilson Suite, because it seemed as though every set featured at least one JW tune, with much appreciation from the dancers and listeners. It was as though these JW tunes were a form of punctuation between some really ground breaking records, often equally as good as some of the newies in the main room. I found it fatal to go back up from the main room because I'd find myself still in there an hour later, and I'd feel I'd missed out on any new stuff in the main room. Thankfully this was still the era of cassette machines dotted around the clubs and tape swapping being rife, and if you had missed out on some mega newie you'd invariably hear it before the week was out.

You know I once described the Stafford Niters to a non soul mate. I said you know in a film when they are trying to hypnotise someone who has been through a trauma and they say "lets start by taking you back to your happy place, that one place where you found everything was just how you wanted it to be" well that would be it for me :-)

(btw my must hears would be Guy's Michigan Move, and Keb describing the next tune over the mic as "Sh*t H*t " and being totaly accurate !

The room you're thinking of was the one folk now call the downstairs room, but it became Cinderella Rockerfeller when the whole wine bar thing started ( about 1980 maybe?) and had a entrance to the left of the main room I think. There was a way through to the main club, but sometimes I think there was a door and other times I think there wasn't?

This was a great little room and had a different atmosphere to the upstairs room (a.k.a. The Grot, or grotto as some called it) Possibly because the dj's who did the sets in there were different to the dj's who played upstairs in later years, and of course as times moved on attitudes hardened as to what was and wasn't acceptable deck material. Some of my fave dj's in that downstairs room were the likes of Chris Plant & Esher, probably Nick too.

Towards the later part of Stafford we used to jokingly call the upstairs room the Jackie Wilson Suite, because it seemed as though every set featured at least one JW tune, with much appreciation from the dancers and listeners. It was as though these JW tunes were a form of punctuation between some really ground breaking records, often equally as good as some of the newies in the main room. I found it fatal to go back up from the main room because I'd find myself still in there an hour later, and I'd feel I'd missed out on any new stuff in the main room. Thankfully this was still the era of cassette machines dotted around the clubs and tape swapping being rife, and if you had missed out on some mega newie you'd invariably hear it before the week was out.

You know I once described the Stafford Niters to a non soul mate. I said you know in a film when they are trying to hypnotise someone who has been through a trauma and they say "lets start by taking you back to your happy place, that one place where you found everything was just how you wanted it to be" well that would be it for me :-)

(btw my must hears would be Guy's Michigan Move, and Keb describing the next tune over the mic as "Sh*t H*t " and being totaly accurate !

Your right the downstairs room in the early days had many of the Yate crowd, Budgie, Dave Greet, Pete Wid plus Esher and Chis Plant.

When we moved upstairs it was graced with the likes of Dave Alcock, Nick Marshall, Steve (The Original) Smith, George, Roger Banks even a one off from Gary (Slaphead) Colbourne. Gary played some great tracks, but was so scared he didn't use the mic once, so for many his set is still a mistery to this day. His nerves weren't help by the fact that he was assisted by Mark 'Many The Time' Chackett and Dave 'His Imperial Dimness', who were manic to say the least.

Guest mickeyb

It had'nt been a gay pub since the early 70's, the gays went up the road to the Star after a Jamaican named Dave Moodie took it on. I wouldn't say it was rough really although a few prostitutes & their clients used to frequent the place. It was northern on Wednesdays with Tim Ashibende, Dave Alcock, Conno, Blondie, Pablo, me & Bob Germanek and Jazz Funk at the weekend with Phil Oliver at first & later Smelly

We went there on a Saturday night before Stafford a couple of times. There were a lot of older (and large) West Indian guys in there. Can't remember who was DJ'ing - might have been Pablo? The Stoke lot were definitely OK in there, but we felt a bit paranoid - can't think whywhistling.gif

[

Thats Wilbur Reynolds - Who'll Cry - Resist, Carolle Waller cover up for Guy wasn't it. Keb played the other one (instrumental) didn't he :g:or is it other way round :lol:

I deffo saw him there, very shortly after the Hinckley gig. 2nd time was a huge improvement. i think it was in the new year. I'll check photo's. my memory is hazy rolleyes.gif

Is it Newcastle Tiffs you're thinking? Can't recall him doing Stafford, Major lance played Hinckley on the Saturda then next day at a dayer (with only a couple of hundred of us in if I remember).

So many DJ'd there through it's time, usual problem we only have so much time, unless we made it an Alldayniter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dave, totw is an era i totally missed and deeply regret it becoz it opened my eyes and mind to thinkin mans music and thats whats helped to re-invent the scene and bring new blood in. the music however is brilliant! and its a perfect replacement for those magic ritz all-nighters that i remember you taking part in as well....and yes NOW YOU ARE TALKIN!! DAYER/NITER....SIMILAR TO A CERTAIN TOWER UP THE ROAD...ME THINKS....SO YOU AND CHRIS GET YOUR HEADS TOGETHER AGAIN AND.....MAKE IT BIGGGGGGER....then you can accomodate all those djs...how many hotels has stafford got?...oh, and get RICHARD...any excuse to dig those rareities out of his garage!

rob.h, tsop

Is it Newcastle Tiffs you're thinking? Can't recall him doing Stafford, Major lance played Hinckley on the Saturda then next day at a dayer (with only a couple of hundred of us in if I remember).

We saw the Major at Hinckley, then very soon after we saw him at Stafford TOTW. I just spoke to 2 friends of mine on phone to see if i was imagining it and they both confirmed we did indeed see him there!

i just scanned these 2 photo's , anyone confirm the stage area is Stafford?

post-14474-12613177946856_thumb.jpg

Dear Mr Thorley sir, please can you fix it for us to see you at Stafford in one of your legendary capes?

Thank you.

Theresa, aged 42 and a half x

I still have two of the infamous coats you refer to, one by 'English Eccentric' and another, Malayka would happily see them burnt, but the have survivied thus far.

Dave

What I want to know is Dave Thorley going to wear that white nuclear fallout/Charlies Angels jumpsuit he turned up in one time? Is Steve Collins going to give up the card table and make it into the main room one night? Is Butch going to sit in a VW beetle in the car park with his tapes of unknowns?

I'm looking forward to the night as a chance to catch up with old pals but I am a little apprehensive as I have fantastic memories of one of the last truly great northern soul venues (along with the 100 Club).

See you there.

Ion

Police were called to a barn fire in Gloucestershire in the early hours of the morning on Easter Saturday after a suspected arson attack. The fire brigade saved the residents' valuable record collections but said that sadly, they were too late to rescue some priceless vintage capes and boilersuits. Owner David Thorley, 51, a disc jockey from Dursley, was said to be too upset to comment at this stage.

post-8338-12614869288797_thumb.jpg

post-8338-12614869288797_thumb.jpg

We saw the Major at Hinckley, then very soon after we saw him at Stafford TOTW. I just spoke to 2 friends of mine on phone to see if i was imagining it and they both confirmed we did indeed see him there!

i just scanned these 2 photo's , anyone confirm the stage area is Stafford?

Ian

Definitely TOTW - I have a few photos of Gene Chander, Eddie Parker & Lorraine Chandler at TOTW and the lighting rig above and the brown curtain (procenium arch?) to the right is in al of them. Just don't remember it but perhaps that's 'cos I went to see the Major elsewhere.

Anyway, a few more tunes that should be played at the re-union:

Royal Esquires (Embers C/U)

Jimmy Seals

Ron Baxter

Troy Dodds

Preston Peters

Ray Agee (although not first played at TOTW, it certainly was massive there)

Executive 4 (ditto)

Up, up & away..........

Mick

Guest ScooterNik

As promised below is the review that was published in The Scootering Magazine in July 2005

post-900-12609872174945_thumb.jpg

I still get grief over those bloody photos now.... lens covered in talk, me bouncing off the walls, and forgetting to check that I had set the camera to the right distance. Oh dear oh dear..... Thanks to Dave for taking the time to talk to me though, it was enlightening!

I'll be up for this one I think, Stafford was always my favourite nighter, along with Morecambe, and it'd be good to hear all those great tracks played again in their original environment.

hi byrney you'll have to get all the old notts posse together for thithumbup.gif s one will defo be therethumbup.gif usual suspects will be there m8. Lost touch with so many of the awld crew, might talk Lyn from Brinsley into it mind

Oh ya beauty, this is great news. I can confidently predict a squad of Messheads will be down from Scotland as in ye olde days.

You'll all stopping at mine then Aldo. Be good to see you

Edited by Byrney
Guest Chris Waterman

I still get grief over those bloody photos now.... lens covered in talk, me bouncing off the walls, and forgetting to check that I had set the camera to the right distance. Oh dear oh dear..... Thanks to Dave for taking the time to talk to me though, it was enlightening!

I'll be up for this one I think, Stafford was always my favourite nighter, along with Morecambe, and it'd be good to hear all those great tracks played again in their original environment.

Hi Nick

Glad you found this thread, I had tried to contact you a few months ago, but I never got a reply from your old email addy, hope you don't mind sharing your interview with DT from the scootering mag July 05

best

Chris W

post-900-12621713585581_thumb.jpg post-900-12621712541055_thumb.jpg

post-900-12621712541055_thumb.jpg

post-900-12621713585581_thumb.jpg

Guest Chris Waterman

Just found these pic's of DT at the last reunion

post-900-1262174348829_thumb.jpg post-900-12621743579604_thumb.jpg

post-900-12621744464559_thumb.jpg post-900-1262174459681_thumb.jpg

post-900-12621745335941_thumb.jpg post-900-12621745484684_thumb.jpg

post-900-12621745937499_thumb.jpg post-900-12621754370086_thumb.jpg

the next two are pic's of a drawing Oscar Romp did from the stage, a before and after, it took him all night as every 10 to 20 mins he would drop his charcoal and jump of stage to join the dance floor

post-900-12621746271837_thumb.jpg post-900-1262174641521_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris Waterman

I'll need to start shedding the xmas (and the last 10 years) lb's and get in shape for this one. I'll be along.

Tunes required:

Little Stanley The Stran

Terry Callier I don't wanna see myself

Gladys Knight It's too late

Tony Middleton Spanish Maiden

Johnny Gillian room full of tears

Guitar Ray Wreck My life

Troy Dodds Try My Love

Bobby Valentin Use it Before you lose it

Jackie Day Naughty Boy

Marsha Gee Peanut Duck

Norma Jenkins The Airplane Song

Caroline gave me this to copy/scan. It was from a Sunday Newspaper and it's a report about the Fleet in Peterborough but there is a Stafford connection...a photo of Messrs Thorley, Hennigan, Darge and Brady :lol:

post-225-12621904625549_thumb.jpg post-225-12621906162914_thumb.jpg

post-225-12621908632881_thumb.jpg post-225-12621909738769_thumb.jpg

i got that one somewhere,came straight out of stafford nighter and got it from the newsagent over the road if memory serves me right, thats graham from cheltenham with the bag

Guest ScooterNik

Hi Nick

Glad you found this thread, I had tried to contact you a few months ago, but I never got a reply from your old email addy, hope you don't mind sharing your interview with DT from the scootering mag July 05

best

Chris W

post-900-12621713585581_thumb.jpg post-900-12621712541055_thumb.jpg

No problem whatsoever, I can't speak for Scootering/Mortons Media, but as far as I'm concerned it's there to be read and hopefully enjoyed!

I assume you used the AOL address? Sadly not been on that for some time, but if you need to get hold again, then contact me through here, I'm in fairly often.

Guest James Trouble

What was it that made Stafford Allnighters what they were?

What was so different about them, at the time? What was it that made the punters so excited to be there?

Is an oldies allnighter, to celebrate what Stafford once was, a bit of an oxymoron?

And are many of the punters who will attend, some of whom have already posted on this thread, being hypocritical attending an oldies reunion given their views about 'oldies' when played at other venues and what drove them to attend Stafford in the first place?

I wasn't there, it's just that the concept of a Stafford oldies reunion, as an outsider, seems a little odd? Almost like a nail in it's coffin while the true spirit of Stafford lives on at allnighters like Lifeline?

That's the way I see it, anyway.

Hope you all have a good night :hatsoff2:

Edited by James Trouble

James, lighten up, it is what it is. A chance to get together, remember some good times and have a dance. Many that attend still fight the good fight, but maybe they are allowed one night off to just wollow in a bit of nastalgia.

Apart from Lifeline, few people are that interested in a full on newies type event nowdays. I've run several in the last few years, Berekley and Solihull, few people came, including you. So whats you point

Dave

What was so different about them, at the time? What was it that made the punters so excited to be there?

Is an oldies allnighter, to celebrate what Stafford once was, a bit of an oxymoron?

And are many of the punters who will attend, some of whom have already posted on this thread, being hypocritical attending an oldies reunion given their views about 'oldies' when played at other venues and what drove them to attend Stafford in the first place?

I wasn't there, it's just that the concept of a Stafford oldies reunion, as an outsider, seems a little odd? Almost like a nail in it's coffin while the true spirit of Stafford lives on at allnighters like Lifeline?

Hope you all have a good night :hatsoff2:

There's nothing hypocritcal about paying a bit of respect to a milestone venue.

Attempting to compare a Stafford reunion night to the general oldies scene is taking it a bit far when you consider that very few of the tunes played at the time have found their way to oldies venue playlists even now.

The true spirit of Stafford does live on at Lifeline, but then so does a fair chunk of the Stafford playlist.

It'll be a great night for those that appreciate and acknowledge a great time.

Hope you all have a good night hatsoff2.gif

laugh.gif ...You're just gutted coz u is 2 yung and missed it...nah, nah, nah, nah, nah...tongue.gif

Sophisticated as eva...wink.gif

Source Advert