2010-04-04: Stafford, Fancy Another One ?

First of all, many thanks to Chris Waterman and Dave Thorley for once again inviting me to co-promote this event, though if I'd have known how much hard work was gonna be involved I might well have told them both to do one (should have learned my lesson with the 20 year anniversary :thumbsup: )

From our initial visit to the venue as the new management were gutting it last summer, to the last record of the night from John Pugh (Esther Phillips 'Just say goodbye')...I can honestly say it was worth every minute to see it all come together so well.

Apologies to those disgruntled by bar prices, especially the water, but it was non-negotiable and if it makes you feel any better none of us got 'staff tariff' drinks (not for the want of trying mind :yes: )

Water and bottled beer were quite expensive, but pints of lager and cider were around £2.90, which I personally don't believe to be over the top, especially in a nightclub.

Bag searches were obviously carried out as the venue didn't want talc and drinks brought into the venue, they are running a business and we have to respect that.

Car parking was hard work, but a few months back Chris and I spent an afternoon walking the streets of Stafford trying to privately hire any nearby carparks to no avail. Chris tried his best to secure a deal with Tescos but they were having none of it.

Someone posted up that they didn't get clamped at Tescos......sorry to say they don't clamp vehicles, but as mentioned on here previously they have automated cameras that log your number plate on entry and exit and then fine you via post by accessing your info through the DVLA :(

Final big thanks to everyone who turned out, the DJ's for doing the business, and not forgetting Marcelle and Clair(e?) for running the door so efficiently.

Regards

Mace

I for one..thought all of ya involved in pulling this off ..did a spanking job...as for Tescos...what a bunch of absolute fookwits..what the fook would it have cost em to say Yes...after all...they like to boast that every little bit helps!!!!!...well my little bit is going elsewhere from now on....i tell ya.....brilliant night from start to the too quick finale.....still playing and grooving to some of em brilliant 80s grooves....taking me back to when i was young free and single..and partying hard!!!!!.....now still partying..but older....creaking.....but free as a bird....luvved it!!!!!!...Delxxxxx

• Replies 609
  • Views 63k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Just a big thanks you three for putting on a most fantastic night,during the war i mean the day we had been guests of Teff,Sharon,Chuddy and Debbie so for myself Nicola and C Ashby the day started off proper (and i got a parking space)As the day went on more and more people were turning up ,at one point there were more of our friends from Scotland(good people)than us local English.By the time Chris and i made our way down to the venue 8.45 the Vine hotel/pub was getting very busy.Joined the que just as the Welsh coach pulled up,more friends,and now Chris and me are reving.First person we said hello to was me old friend Nogger,luckily Bob Banks had picked him up so it ment he was'nt going to miss out,brill.Standing behind him i hadnt realised was my old and close buddy Gary Rushbrook and his wife,boy was i pleased to see him after some 20+ yrs.The nite just went on in an upward direction i could'nt count how many old friends i bumped into not fogetting the newer ones.All in all we had the most fantastic nite, again thank-you so much.The only thing i did'nt like (and its nobodies fault)the buildings interior is discusting did they have the vandals in to decorate?

Can't say much more than that which has already been expressed.

Marks Oliver and George in the same room again........priceless.

Great to see my old cronies from Gloucester, plus ALL the other faces from back in the day.

Sooooo much to say, sooooooo can't be bothered to type,

finish off with a great big thanks to everyone who kept me company all night after driving down on my own.

overall we had a great nite at Stafford......yes the venue is geared to todays clubbers , nowhere to put yer drink down , nowhere to put yer niter bag etc ...lovely sticky treacle carpet and jam dancefloor lol..... but the atmosphere was really buzzin....oldies room was super...upstairs main room brilliant...loved Keb's spot ....and Keb is Keb...always has been rolleyes.gif ....so don't expect owt else...thumbsup.gif

left at 4.30 totaly bushed .....

KTF pete n' susan !

For years l have said....oh for just one more night at Wigan or one more night at Stafford !!! Well it happened, and what a fantastic night it was, from our arrival at 9.15 through to the 6.00am-ish finish the whole night was just a blast!! Loads of old Stafford regulars in attendance, and the real high moment for me was when my old friend Gary Rushbrooke took to the decks and spun all those fabulous late Wigan/early Stafford BIGGIES - I hadn't seen Gary since the late 80s and it was good to catch up. Stigger made the comment 'when was the last time we were all together in one room'? it was over some 20 plus years mate !

ALL the main room DJs played fantastic Stafford era sets and reminded me of how different the scene was back then. Yes it was a real cracker, and l for one feel proud to have been part of the Stafford scene but l do agree with Dave Thorley, as a one off it was unbeatable and that is how it should be remembered.

Regards to ALL

Dave Raistrick

Fantastic

Please do another 1!

Alternatively, how about putting these on at bank holidays? You don't have to call it a revival there were plenty of younger people there who hadn't been to the old TOTW , some weren't even born!

The bouncers outside were warning kids trying to get in that the average age inside was 48 (one young girl looked as though she was going to be sick at the thought of this!!). I'm only 47 so get in!

Music and 3 rooms was a total success.

Tap water with ice was free (spot the Yorkshireman)

My heads still dancing to The Magic Touch!!!

Comrade Moustache

Just off out for a couple of hours and only 1/3rd of way through picture's-I took loads-check the Gallery

Do us a favour and if you see your self in the crowd shots stick a comment underneth -or for that matter if You can see your self at all.

I havent got time to Tag them all...

post-1887-12705618059455_thumb.jpg

Ie Debs & Julia

Rob

Great pics, well done!

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=1887&do=view_album&album=3772

It's all been said already, but thanks to Dave and the chaps for organising such a special night. It was a real pleasure to hear and dance to those tunes again, spun by the original guys who we were proud to follow in those dark days when 60's newies supporters felt like we were some lost tribe! Great, too, to catch up with so many good people. It was a perfect chance to hook up with old friends and I'm happy to say I managed even a few words with the best of them. Magic stuff! thumbsup.gif

It's all been said already, but thanks to Dave and the chaps for organising such a special night. It was a real pleasure to hear and dance to those tunes again, spun by the original guys who we were proud to follow in those dark days when 60's newies supporters felt like we were some lost tribe! Great, too, to catch up with so many good people. It was a perfect chance to hook up with old friends and I'm happy to say I managed even a few words with the best of them. Magic stuff! thumbsup.gif

Everything Alan said and more, i would love another one just so i could speak to all the people i missed , due to being on the floor in the main room all night but stick to your decision Dave and keep it a one-off. A truly memorable night, the sight and sound of those dj's in the main room will live long in the memory.

Priviliged to have had the chance to revisit my own Stafford memories...playlist as requested...pretty much in order...warm up set and a chance to show that Stafford wasn't just 60's but you know that anyway...so before they go back in the loft...

Jeffrey Osborne - I Really Don't Need No Light - A&M LP

Rose Royce - Best Love - Epic Lp

Khemistry - Can You Feel My Love - Columbia LP

Oliver Cheatham - Bless The Ladies - Mca 7"

Willie Collins - Where You Gonna Be Tonight - Capitol LP

Prince Phillip Mitchell - In Her Own Way - Ichiban LP

The Mad Lads - You Blew It - Champion 12" (For Alan Walls)

Bridge - Baby Don't Hold Your Love Back - Atlantic 12"

Gerald Mallory - Lay It Down On Me - Prelude 12"

Jessie James - I Can Feel Your Love Vibes - Midtown 7"

John Simmons - Ain't Nothing Like The Love - Sabina 7"

Dysons Faces - Welcome To All This Love - Dy Rich LP

Marc Sadane - One Minute From Love - W.Bros LP

Booker Newberry III - Love Town - Boardwalk 12"

Terry Callier - I Don't Want To See Myself (Without You) - Erect 12"

Target - Give Me One More Chance - Soul 7 (Reissue)

Frankie Sanders - Take Another Look - Juana 7"

Would have loved to have played a few more (Hugh Boynton, Florence Trapp,Chosen Few Band, Arnold McCuller,Frankie Gearing, Colors , but ran out of time.

Fantastic night - Thanks Dave for getting me on board and Chris you are a gentleman.

So many peeps - too many to mention but cool to hang out with Cat and Rich (and of course Ady and Ant, Mike and Mary G) and to catch up with Michael (and Kirsty) (cheers mate!). Lots of my most special friends from way back and the beauty of this scene is the fact that however infrequently we meet up the feeling is (and will always be) just the same.

Edited by Robin S

What a fantastic night!

Joyann, Ste H, Sandra and Grant, great company, glad you all enjoyed it!

Grant, thanks for the Album thumbsup.gif top chap!

Was great to hear Frankie Saunders - Take another look, a cheap one that doesn't get plays much now.

Went to Stafford TOTW for an alldayer two weeks before Easter 1980 on my scooter and yesterday morning at 05:00am saw one of the lads I travelled down with all those 30 years ago, mind blowing!

Well done and thanks to all that made this happen!

yep blinding nite and great company Bill! and thnx again for that lift, my turn nxt time.

didnt hear a bad tune all night

met some great people and many off here for the first time viz mark freeman, chalky, ken et al.

Grant

As I said earlier, Mace, Chris & Marcelle did a great job and without them it wouldn't of happened. It was a great one off, but for so many reasons it should stay just that, otherwise we end up with a 'shopping center' scenario.

The night was about all those people that supported the club years ago. For the DJ's to entertain one more time and for everyone to catch up. But if people want the spirit of Stafford to survive, then get out and support todays venues that focus on the future and the DJ's that play with the same spirit.

A big, big thanks to everyone that helped and paid on the door, hope you got your monies worth, as that was the intention.

Dave

Spot on Dave ! Totally agree ...just gotta say though that I had a TOP NITE !!! from start to finish , so many pals i'd not seen for ooooh a bloody long time !!!!

Chris thumbsup.gif

Fair to say I've done better, by that time the gaul stone had kicked off and the pain killers weren't working, sadly had to go home soon after.

Some very interesting tunes Dave...but maybe some of the "Spirit" is lacking in a reunion crowd!

big thanx to all involved had a great nite......even bigger thanx to martin p from southwales who came into bristol and picked me and nic up you are a star !!

wasnt as enthusiastic as normal but had stayed up after go go children till4 the night before thinkin id recover...not any more !! still had a dance both upstairs and downstairs in the oldies room......lots of tunes i hadnt heard out for a while even in the oldies room it wasnt the same old..ies

as has been said before the 'new' club werent up too much but the djs and crowd made up for the shock when we first walked in...kept gettin bloody lost too many mirrors and doors !!

anyway well worth the trip up the m5 and the bad back yesterday after being horizontal all monday

thanx again

dean

Guest Tassled Loafer

I Need Help Identifying A Track From Late On In The Night.

More Of A Slow Groover, With Chorus Lyrics Something Along The Lines Off "Save Me From This Room Full Of Kicks/Kids".

Hope Someone Can Help.

Thanks In Advance.

I Need Help Identifying A Track From Late On In The Night.

More Of A Slow Groover, With Chorus Lyrics Something Along The Lines Off "Save Me From This Room Full Of Kicks/Kids".

Hope Someone Can Help.

Thanks In Advance.

I didn't hear this, must have been elsewhere, but could it have been Johnny Gillam's Roomful Of Tears?

Guest Tassled Loafer

Thankyou, I'm Listening To It Now. Beautiful Record, Glad I've Been Introduced To This One.

Also Sat Here Getting Quite Remeniscent Of Sunday. :thumbsup:

Great night, really enjoyed it.

All been said so I can't really add anything of value.

Other than basques, no wonder thet bar prices were steep.ohmy.gif

Do you think the manager who chose the uniforms was a man by any chance? Guys - crimplene waistcoat and naff bowtie. Girls - basque and short shorts. laugh.gif

Great night and music

Do you think the manager who chose the uniforms was a man by any chance? Guys - crimplene waistcoat and naff bowtie. Girls - basque and short shorts. laugh.gif

Great night and music

Yea, like everbody said it was a top night.yes.gif

I did not see the girls in basquessad.gif I did not go to the bar.laugh.gif

Dave.

Some very interesting tunes Dave...but maybe some of the "Spirit" is lacking in a reunion crowd!

Or maybe you, like lots of the tourists there don't have a clue what the "Spirit" actually is, I suspect like lots you never did get it so you aren't going to now, so why bother even trying. You just keep worrying about the dance floor, the Guiness, the surroundings, why it wasn't like your local British Legion night out, leave the rest to people who really care!

Dave T, you big girls blouse, stop apologising to these muppets, you did what you always did, in your own style with no room for passengers, and totally right you were, the true Spirit of Stafford, you were !00% spot on mate, and that's not that I like everything you played, of course not, that horrendous Use It Before You Lose it made me chuckle and is a great example, you did what you believe in, just like you always have, not what you are told to believe in, in danger of repeating myself but that's the true Spirit.

Interesting night for me, didn't fancy it for a long while, started to look forward to it a few weeks ago and had a great time, if a little weird and dare I say it nostalgic and emotional at times, I said I was going to spend all night upstairs but I didn't , I spent a fair bit of time in the new room, listening to Butch and thinking what might have been if there were more people with his taste and vision, which was always going to be the risk of having this room.

Plus points there were some fantastic people there that I realise not having seen for 15 years or so but are valued friends, watching Guy Hennigan work the decks and looking like he loved every minute reminded me just what a top Northern Soul dj he is and how big an influence he has been in many various ways on me, listening to Keb and thinking good on you son, I hope it did offend some people, as these are exactly the people the scene of this time didn't want, namby pambys that need it all on a plate, you had to work for it back then. Somebody once asked what the difference was then and Sunday justified my thought at that time, it was all about attitude, sheer f**k off attitude, the scene didn't suffer fools gladly and benefited massively, both in music and in people, a time never to be repeated was another thing Sunday probably proved. All this soul snob and soul police bull shit was something that would have been worn proudly as a badge then, as it was all about quality control in both people and music.

I left this early, very unlike me, as lots of people there I probably said tara to 15 years ago thinking I would see them in next couple of weeks and didnt, however 15 years later it would probably have been a proper goodbye to some, so I made my excuses and left quietly, to all who I missed, glad you were there and were part of a pretty special night.

Only regret was Pete Lawson wasn't there, neither in spirit or in body to me, and that if anything proves Dave correct 100% in saying this was a one off, hats off to the guys for pulling this off, promoters with integrity were the only ones that could do this, and all 3 guys seem to fit that bill (especially Mace now he has stopped running around Liverpool in a grocery van, allegedly), good on you, glad you did it but hope you turned the lights off and shut the door on a long gone time as you left.

And before any of you bother throwing abuse or disagreeing with me, don't waste your energy as you and I both know, I am totally 100% f***ng right, another lesson in the true spirit of Stafford!

Priviliged to have had the chance to revisit my own Stafford memories...playlist as requested...pretty much in order...warm up set and a chance to show that Stafford wasn't just 60's but you know that anyway...so before they go back in the loft...

Jeffrey Osborne - I Really Don't Need No Light - A&M LP

Rose Royce - Best Love - Epic Lp

Khemistry - Can You Feel My Love - Columbia LP

Oliver Cheatham - Bless The Ladies - Mca 7"

Willie Collins - Where You Gonna Be Tonight - Capitol LP

Prince Phillip Mitchell - In Her Own Way - Ichiban LP

The Mad Lads - You Blew It - Champion 12" (For Alan Walls)

Bridge - Baby Don't Hold Your Love Back - Atlantic 12"

Gerald Mallory - Lay It Down On Me - Prelude 12"

Jessie James - I Can Feel Your Love Vibes - Midtown 7"

John Simmons - Ain't Nothing Like The Love - Sabina 7"

Dysons Faces - Welcome To All This Love - Dy Rich LP

Marc Sadane - One Minute From Love - W.Bros LP

Booker Newberry III - Love Town - Boardwalk 12"

Terry Callier - I Don't Want To See Myself (Without You) - Erect 12"

Target - Give Me One More Chance - Soul 7 (Reissue)

Frankie Sanders - Take Another Look - Juana 7"

Would have loved to have played a few more (Hugh Boynton, Florence Trapp,Chosen Few Band, Arnold McCuller,Frankie Gearing, Colors , but ran out of time.

Fantastic night - Thanks Dave for getting me on board and Chris you are a gentleman.

So many peeps - too many to mention but cool to hang out with Cat and Rich (and of course Ady and Ant, Mike and Mary G) and to catch up with Michael (and Kirsty) (cheers mate!). Lots of my most special friends from way back and the beauty of this scene is the fact that however infrequently we meet up the feeling is (and will always be) just the same.

Robin

Your a star, so glad you decided to do it.

Love

Dave

had a great time,

Arggghhh didn't see you there Jocko!

I drove up with Geoff, Karen and Martin. Karen obviously went regularly, I went sometimes, and Geoff and Martin had not been before - Stafford virgins so to speak. Good journey up we listened to Martin's Goldmine CD of Stafford, slagged off "Like the Lord said" :lol: enthused over Glenda McLopud etc..... But when we got there struggled to park. When Thatcher was in power Stafford was a wasteland and you could park round the back so I tried that. Now it's all yuppy flats and gate controlled access whatever, so we parked 'over the river'.

First thing that struck me was the club had changed - had the main room gone up a floor or was I just disorientated from a life of visiting too many clubs? The smoking area was the old Gents according to DT. Dave Welding told me the club had burnt down twice since the 80s (always happens when a club loses money - ask the right on soul brothers of Wigan :lol:) so quite likely that major internal reconstruction had gone on.

Packed quickly, good to see old faces like The Silver Fox Charlie Rich Adey Pierce, Old Slaphead Robin S (Frankie Saunders - an inspired choice to end on Robin!) Mick Godfrey and Mary, Louise, Cat, Pat, Keb, Ady P, Chalkmeister, Kirsty, Teresa, Karen Burke, Pugh Pugh, Barney McGrew who else....loads.

Heard some of Gary Rushbrooke (Frankie Beverly, Jackie Beavers, Nomads etc.) but spent much of my time in the "Spirit of..." room cos that's where my head is these days. Excellent stuff throughout in there. Listened to young Malyka, Mick H, Butch, Dave Thorley, and Dyson's Faces all DJ in there. In the mainroom heard a little bit of Guy (ending with "Casanova Bennett" who else!), a bit of Keb and had a boogie to Adam's main room set. Would not single out any DJ as they all did admirably well and rose to the occasion, and great to see the mix of styles being played in the main room.

We left c.4.15 a.m. and headed back down south, having had a very good night. :thumbsup: SO well done to all.

Edited by Steve G

Or maybe you, like lots of the tourists there don't have a clue what the "Spirit" actually is, I suspect like lots you never did get it so you aren't going to now, so why bother even trying. You just keep worrying about the dance floor, the Guiness, the surroundings, why it wasn't like your local British Legion night out, leave the rest to people who really care!

Dave T, you big girls blouse, stop apologising to these muppets, you did what you always did, in your own style with no room for passengers, and totally right you were, the true Spirit of Stafford, you were !00% spot on mate, and that's not that I like everything you played, of course not, that horrendous Use It Before You Lose it made me chuckle and is a great example, you did what you believe in, just like you always have, not what you are told to believe in, in danger of repeating myself but that's the true Spirit.

Interesting night for me, didn't fancy it for a long while, started to look forward to it a few weeks ago and had a great time, if a little weird and dare I say it nostalgic and emotional at times, I said I was going to spend all night upstairs but I didn't , I spent a fair bit of time in the new room, listening to Butch and thinking what might have been if there were more people with his taste and vision, which was always going to be the risk of having this room.

Plus points there were some fantastic people there that I realise not having seen for 15 years or so but are valued friends, watching Guy Hennigan work the decks and looking like he loved every minute reminded me just what a top Northern Soul dj he is and how big an influence he has been in many various ways on me, listening to Keb and thinking good on you son, I hope it did offend some people, as these are exactly the people the scene of this time didn't want, namby pambys that need it all on a plate, you had to work for it back then. Somebody once asked what the difference was then and Sunday justified my thought at that time, it was all about attitude, sheer f**k off attitude, the scene didn't suffer fools gladly and benefited massively, both in music and in people, a time never to be repeated was another thing Sunday probably proved. All this soul snob and soul police bull shit was something that would have been worn proudly as a badge then, as it was all about quality control in both people and music.

I left this early, very unlike me, as lots of people there I probably said tara to 15 years ago thinking I would see them in next couple of weeks and didnt, however 15 years later it would probably have been a proper goodbye to some, so I made my excuses and left quietly, to all who I missed, glad you were there and were part of a pretty special night.

Only regret was Pete Lawson wasn't there, neither in spirit or in body to me, and that if anything proves Dave correct 100% in saying this was a one off, hats off to the guys for pulling this off, promoters with integrity were the only ones that could do this, and all 3 guys seem to fit that bill (especially Mace now he has stopped running around Liverpool in a grocery van, allegedly), good on you, glad you did it but hope you turned the lights off and shut the door on a long gone time as you left.

And before any of you bother throwing abuse or disagreeing with me, don't waste your energy as you and I both know, I am totally 100% f***ng right, another lesson in the true spirit of Stafford!

That has to be the most emotional, from the heart, post I have ever read on lookbacks...... :hatsoff2:

Phyllis

Edited by philly

Guest sarahleen

that main room was BANGIN ,

absolute quality allnight from all the djs , it felt like being inside some kind of magical time machine , what a great night one of the best allnighters iv ever been to , class

That certainly is a great posting Jocko , you still have the spirit of Stafford for sure ......Best wishes ,Eddie

Your 100% right mate, but today the 'namby pambys' are running most of the venues and the lunatics have taken over the asylum

Or maybe you, like lots of the tourists there don't have a clue what the "Spirit" actually is, I suspect like lots you never did get it so you aren't going to now, so why bother even trying. You just keep worrying about the dance floor, the Guiness, the surroundings, why it wasn't like your local British Legion night out, leave the rest to people who really

Don;t sit on the fence, say what you mean!!!laugh.gif

Great post BTW.

I only made my mind up to go on Sunday afternoon, f**kin glad I did.

It was miles better than the all-dayer reunion from about 12 years ago IMHO.

The Queens Hall do didn't seem right. plus the smell or burgers put me off.

Stayed in the main room all night cause I was enjoying it (apart from I went out to car, took me abit to find it again).

It was good to see Gaz enjoying himself, and it was the 1st time I had spoke to Dave M. for years. infact there were a good few people I'd not seen for a while.thumbsup.gif

Dave.

Absolutely spot on Jock,attitude what the fukc happened..............thanks Mr Thorley for fab night and me mates who got me a ticket,glad i was there to listen to the peanut duck cheers Keb,not seen so many freinds in one place ever too many to mention.

Just like to echo what's been said above! I couldn't give a s**t about the price of beer or any other peripheral cr*p. Sunday night was incredible. I will remember parts of it for the rest of my life.

Spot on pal. Once the lights had gone down I didn't think the main room was that bad and I've had far more expensive beer in my time (I paid £7.20 I think for three pints of lager). Loved the whole night, like you so many I hadn't seen for 15 years or so, some longer, some who were there who I managed to miss all together :wave: Spent most of the night in the main room and thought all the DJ's were the Top Dogs b*llocks, from Robin opening the proceedings, finishing his set with the fantastic Frankie Sanders Take Another Look through to John Pugh closing the night, Gary, Keb, Guy, Adam, Ady and Dave all in their element playing some fantaastic records many there on the night probably heard for the first time.......still plenty of records to be discovered by those who missed out on the 80's era. With the amount of records that the Dj's could have played they were quite imaginative with their selections. You could have another night of Stafford sounds without repeating a record but with no drop in quality. Think Sunday night also dispelled the myth from some of today's scene that Stafford was all beat ballads and mid-tempo.

Lastly I'm of the same opinion of Dave, no more, I would hate for it to be compared to Russ and his shopping centre events as Dave said, time to move on...plenty of venues out there still pushing the boundaries that need the support that was shown on Sunday night....one at the end of the month (24th) :thumbsup::lol:

What a fantastic night!

Joyann, Ste H, Sandra and Grant, great company, glad you all enjoyed it!

Grant, thanks for the Album thumbsup.gif top chap!

Was great to hear Frankie Saunders - Take another look, a cheap one that doesn't get plays much now.

Went to Stafford TOTW for an alldayer two weeks before Easter 1980 on my scooter and yesterday morning at 05:00am saw one of the lads I travelled down with all those 30 years ago, mind blowing!

Well done and thanks to all that made this happen!

Had a blast!! a great atmosphere with fantastic friends and even managed to stay awake lol

was also lovely to actually meet up with fellow soul sourcers

Thanks Bill for being a good sport and driving us all there

Sandra XX

First of all, many thanks to Chris Waterman and Dave Thorley for once again inviting me to co-promote this event, though if I'd have known how much hard work was gonna be involved I might well have told them both to do one (should have learned my lesson with the 20 year anniversary :lol: )

From our initial visit to the venue as the new management were gutting it last summer, to the last record of the night from John Pugh (Esther Phillips 'Just say goodbye')...I can honestly say it was worth every minute to see it all come together so well.

Apologies to those disgruntled by bar prices, especially the water, but it was non-negotiable and if it makes you feel any better none of us got 'staff tariff' drinks (not for the want of trying mind :yes: )

Water and bottled beer were quite expensive, but pints of lager and cider were around £2.90, which I personally don't believe to be over the top, especially in a nightclub.

Bag searches were obviously carried out as the venue didn't want talc and drinks brought into the venue, they are running a business and we have to respect that.

Car parking was hard work, but a few months back Chris and I spent an afternoon walking the streets of Stafford trying to privately hire any nearby carparks to no avail. Chris tried his best to secure a deal with Tescos but they were having none of it.

Someone posted up that they didn't get clamped at Tescos......sorry to say they don't clamp vehicles, but as mentioned on here previously they have automated cameras that log your number plate on entry and exit and then fine you via post by accessing your info through the DVLA :lol:

Final big thanks to everyone who turned out, the DJ's for doing the business, and not forgetting Marcelle and Clair(e?) for running the door so efficiently.

Regards

Mace

Music was brilliant, and although we did not not get there till quite late, as we had a full weekend, still enjoyed it even though we did not stay that long, we moved our car from tescos, but could not find anywhere else to park, as totw was heaving, and we had a run in with police befor we got there, a bit of a nite mare for us, however, despite that we totally enjoyed it, I should think every man and woman was there from the 4 corners of the soul scene,quite funny trying to find our way out, with all the mirrors, but a success by any standards, well done thumbsup.gif

Music was brilliant, and although we did not not get there till quite late, as we had a full weekend, still enjoyed it even though we did not stay that long, we moved our car from tescos, but could not find anywhere else to park, as totw was heaving, and we had a run in with police befor we got there, a bit of a nite mare for us, however, despite that we totally enjoyed it, I should think every man and woman was there from the 4 corners of the soul scene,quite funny trying to find our way out, with all the mirrors, but a success by any standards, well done thumbsup.gif

I think the mirrors and doors etc added to the fun of the night, it did for me anyway.yes.gif

Jock

great post from the heart, I enjoyed reading this. So wish I could have made it.

gary

I think the mirrors and doors etc added to the fun of the night, it did for me anyway.yes.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw you having a conversation with yerself more than once Dave before someone told you

it was your own reflection in the mirrorno.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest mark hanson

Spot on pal. Once the lights had gone down I didn't think the main room was that bad and I've had far more expensive beer in my time (I paid £7.20 I think for three pints of lager). Loved the whole night, like you so many I hadn't seen for 15 years or so, some longer, some who were there who I managed to miss all together :yes: Spent most of the night in the main room and thought all the DJ's were the Top Dogs b*llocks, from Robin opening the proceedings, finishing his set with the fantastic Frankie Sanders Take Another Look through to John Pugh closing the night, Gary, Keb, Guy, Adam, Ady and Dave all in their element playing some fantaastic records many there on the night probably heard for the first time.......still plenty of records to be discovered by those who missed out on the 80's era. With the amount of records that the Dj's could have played they were quite imaginative with their selections. You could have another night of Stafford sounds without repeating a record but with no drop in quality. Think Sunday night also dispelled the myth from some of today's scene that Stafford was all beat ballads and mid-tempo.

Lastly I'm of the same opinion of Dave, no more, I would hate for it to be compared to Russ and his shopping centre events as Dave said, time to move on...plenty of venues out there still pushing the boundaries that need the support that was shown on Sunday night....one at the end of the month (24th) :thumbsup::yes:

Sorry for not saying anything before, I really enjoyed the night, yes you could have one once month for a year and it be full every time.

That said I agree, leave them wanting more. I always classed myself as a 'Stafford Oldies' dj cause 75% was played in the Stafford era. Yet during the 90's until I took a few years off in 2005 I was classed a Newies dj!!! Why???

Back to the night:

What a bloody great night, very emotional seeing people like Dave Malloy and since he last dj'd at the Wilton - Gaz Kellet!

Like so many, Frankie Saunders that Robin played never sounded so good, even when I played it! Keb playing 'The Chandlers' aka The Ebonies - You Got What I Want, John Pugh playing Hector Rivera 'Romance' and Gary R playing 'The Vondells' and Jeff Dale - 'Where Do I Go' (Hope my 2 CD's helped him remember?). Track of the night for me though, was a record Ady Pountain played and I always played as 'Sweetest Feeling Pt2' The Van McCoy penned 'I Hate To Be The One To Say' by Gene Chandler (flip of Mr. Big Shot, if you dont know the track).

Bloody awesome, and feel privileged to have been there, even if I didn't get to the other rooms.

Thank you all for making it what it was - Now onward and upwards - Rugby this weekend, 100 club next weekend and Lifeline the week after..... Northern Soul keeps rolling on!

Mark (Doffy)

Guest mark hanson

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ian, not found Kenny Gamble yet, but it will be yours ASAP. People like you and others have kept the scene going since Stafford, playing quality Semi-known tunes to educate others.

Stay well my friend

Mark

I saw you having a conversation with yerself more than once Dave before someone told you

it was your own reflection in the mirrorno.gifbiggrin.gif

That could be true Ian.laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

P.S. If it did that to my head what the f**k did it do to Gaz's.biggrin.gif

Source Advert