Dave Thorley profile photo

2010-04-04: Stafford, Fancy Another One ?

Posted

Priviliged to have had the chance to revisit my own Stafford memories...playlist as requested...pretty much in order...warm up set and a chance to show that Stafford wasn't just 60's but you know that anyway...so before they go back in the loft...

Jeffrey Osborne - I Really Don't Need No Light - A&M LP

Rose Royce - Best Love - Epic Lp

Khemistry - Can You Feel My Love - Columbia LP

Oliver Cheatham - Bless The Ladies - Mca 7"

Willie Collins - Where You Gonna Be Tonight - Capitol LP

Prince Phillip Mitchell - In Her Own Way - Ichiban LP

The Mad Lads - You Blew It - Champion 12" (For Alan Walls)

Bridge - Baby Don't Hold Your Love Back - Atlantic 12"

Gerald Mallory - Lay It Down On Me - Prelude 12"

Jessie James - I Can Feel Your Love Vibes - Midtown 7"

John Simmons - Ain't Nothing Like The Love - Sabina 7"

Dysons Faces - Welcome To All This Love - Dy Rich LP

Marc Sadane - One Minute From Love - W.Bros LP

Booker Newberry III - Love Town - Boardwalk 12"

Terry Callier - I Don't Want To See Myself (Without You) - Erect 12"

Target - Give Me One More Chance - Soul 7 (Reissue)

Frankie Sanders - Take Another Look - Juana 7"

Would have loved to have played a few more (Hugh Boynton, Florence Trapp,Chosen Few Band, Arnold McCuller,Frankie Gearing, Colors , but ran out of time.

Fantastic night - Thanks Dave for getting me on board and Chris you are a gentleman.

So many peeps - too many to mention but cool to hang out with Cat and Rich (and of course Ady and Ant, Mike and Mary G) and to catch up with Michael (and Kirsty) (cheers mate!). Lots of my most special friends from way back and the beauty of this scene is the fact that however infrequently we meet up the feeling is (and will always be) just the same.

Robin -- what a shame I missed this. I was headed in this direction just to hear your set but didn't manage it - gutted. Long time since those days back at Bradford, glad to hear you played Bridge reminds me of Queens Hall!

All the best Ken

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Thankyou, I'm Listening To It Now. Beautiful Record, Glad I've Been Introduced To This One.

Also Sat Here Getting Quite Remeniscent Of Sunday. :thumbsup:

One of my all time tunes and that alone made my visit worthwhile.... :hatsoff2:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Music was brilliant, and although we did not not get there till quite late, as we had a full weekend, still enjoyed it even though we did not stay that long, we moved our car from tescos, but could not find anywhere else to park, as totw was heaving, and we had a run in with police befor we got there, a bit of a nite mare for us, however, despite that we totally enjoyed it, I should think every man and woman was there from the 4 corners of the soul scene,quite funny trying to find our way out, with all the mirrors, but a success by any standards, well done thumbsup.gif

I think the mirrors and doors etc added to the fun of the night, it did for me anyway.yes.gif

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Or maybe you, like lots of the tourists there don't have a clue what the "Spirit" actually is, I suspect like lots you never did get it so you aren't going to now, so why bother even trying. You just keep worrying about the dance floor, the Guiness, the surroundings, why it wasn't like your local British Legion night out, leave the rest to people who really care!

Dave T, you big girls blouse, stop apologising to these muppets, you did what you always did, in your own style with no room for passengers, and totally right you were, the true Spirit of Stafford, you were !00% spot on mate, and that's not that I like everything you played, of course not, that horrendous Use It Before You Lose it made me chuckle and is a great example, you did what you believe in, just like you always have, not what you are told to believe in, in danger of repeating myself but that's the true Spirit.

Interesting night for me, didn't fancy it for a long while, started to look forward to it a few weeks ago and had a great time, if a little weird and dare I say it nostalgic and emotional at times, I said I was going to spend all night upstairs but I didn't , I spent a fair bit of time in the new room, listening to Butch and thinking what might have been if there were more people with his taste and vision, which was always going to be the risk of having this room.

Plus points there were some fantastic people there that I realise not having seen for 15 years or so but are valued friends, watching Guy Hennigan work the decks and looking like he loved every minute reminded me just what a top Northern Soul dj he is and how big an influence he has been in many various ways on me, listening to Keb and thinking good on you son, I hope it did offend some people, as these are exactly the people the scene of this time didn't want, namby pambys that need it all on a plate, you had to work for it back then. Somebody once asked what the difference was then and Sunday justified my thought at that time, it was all about attitude, sheer f**k off attitude, the scene didn't suffer fools gladly and benefited massively, both in music and in people, a time never to be repeated was another thing Sunday probably proved. All this soul snob and soul police bull shit was something that would have been worn proudly as a badge then, as it was all about quality control in both people and music.

I left this early, very unlike me, as lots of people there I probably said tara to 15 years ago thinking I would see them in next couple of weeks and didnt, however 15 years later it would probably have been a proper goodbye to some, so I made my excuses and left quietly, to all who I missed, glad you were there and were part of a pretty special night.

Only regret was Pete Lawson wasn't there, neither in spirit or in body to me, and that if anything proves Dave correct 100% in saying this was a one off, hats off to the guys for pulling this off, promoters with integrity were the only ones that could do this, and all 3 guys seem to fit that bill (especially Mace now he has stopped running around Liverpool in a grocery van, allegedly), good on you, glad you did it but hope you turned the lights off and shut the door on a long gone time as you left.

And before any of you bother throwing abuse or disagreeing with me, don't waste your energy as you and I both know, I am totally 100% f***ng right, another lesson in the true spirit of Stafford!

Jock

great post from the heart, I enjoyed reading this. So wish I could have made it.

gary

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I think the mirrors and doors etc added to the fun of the night, it did for me anyway.yes.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw you having a conversation with yerself more than once Dave before someone told you

it was your own reflection in the mirrorno.gifbiggrin.gif

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest mark hanson profile photo
Posted

Spot on pal. Once the lights had gone down I didn't think the main room was that bad and I've had far more expensive beer in my time (I paid £7.20 I think for three pints of lager). Loved the whole night, like you so many I hadn't seen for 15 years or so, some longer, some who were there who I managed to miss all together :yes: Spent most of the night in the main room and thought all the DJ's were the Top Dogs b*llocks, from Robin opening the proceedings, finishing his set with the fantastic Frankie Sanders Take Another Look through to John Pugh closing the night, Gary, Keb, Guy, Adam, Ady and Dave all in their element playing some fantaastic records many there on the night probably heard for the first time.......still plenty of records to be discovered by those who missed out on the 80's era. With the amount of records that the Dj's could have played they were quite imaginative with their selections. You could have another night of Stafford sounds without repeating a record but with no drop in quality. Think Sunday night also dispelled the myth from some of today's scene that Stafford was all beat ballads and mid-tempo.

Lastly I'm of the same opinion of Dave, no more, I would hate for it to be compared to Russ and his shopping centre events as Dave said, time to move on...plenty of venues out there still pushing the boundaries that need the support that was shown on Sunday night....one at the end of the month (24th) :thumbsup::yes:

Sorry for not saying anything before, I really enjoyed the night, yes you could have one once month for a year and it be full every time.

That said I agree, leave them wanting more. I always classed myself as a 'Stafford Oldies' dj cause 75% was played in the Stafford era. Yet during the 90's until I took a few years off in 2005 I was classed a Newies dj!!! Why???

Back to the night:

What a bloody great night, very emotional seeing people like Dave Malloy and since he last dj'd at the Wilton - Gaz Kellet!

Like so many, Frankie Saunders that Robin played never sounded so good, even when I played it! Keb playing 'The Chandlers' aka The Ebonies - You Got What I Want, John Pugh playing Hector Rivera 'Romance' and Gary R playing 'The Vondells' and Jeff Dale - 'Where Do I Go' (Hope my 2 CD's helped him remember?). Track of the night for me though, was a record Ady Pountain played and I always played as 'Sweetest Feeling Pt2' The Van McCoy penned 'I Hate To Be The One To Say' by Gene Chandler (flip of Mr. Big Shot, if you dont know the track).

Bloody awesome, and feel privileged to have been there, even if I didn't get to the other rooms.

Thank you all for making it what it was - Now onward and upwards - Rugby this weekend, 100 club next weekend and Lifeline the week after..... Northern Soul keeps rolling on!

Mark (Doffy)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest mark hanson profile photo
Posted

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ian, not found Kenny Gamble yet, but it will be yours ASAP. People like you and others have kept the scene going since Stafford, playing quality Semi-known tunes to educate others.

Stay well my friend

Mark

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I saw you having a conversation with yerself more than once Dave before someone told you

it was your own reflection in the mirrorno.gifbiggrin.gif

That could be true Ian.laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

P.S. If it did that to my head what the f**k did it do to Gaz's.biggrin.gif

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest Angela Lawrence profile photo
Posted (edited)

My brother and I only decided to go at the last minute, arriving at 11pm and we had no problem with paying the door tax. There were 3 rooms where we could go to and we chose the main room to start. Whilst we visited all 3 rooms our preference was the main room where the music was more to our liking.The diversity of sounds coming from the main room was refreshing. The sounds coming from the Spirit of stafford room were new sounds, the ethos of which I loved. However, I was unable to dance in this room due to the tile dancefloor. In my opinion, the tunes played in this room are ones that are'nt played at many places in the country but they reflect the spirit of Stafford sound nevertheless. I salute the DJ's for this. thumbsup.gif . I personally had no problem with the bar prices, considering that the venue was a nightclub as it was in the 80's. I had the time of mt life and I hope it will be an annual event.biggrin.gif

Edited by Angela Lawrence

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

My brother and I only decided to go at the last minute, arriving at 11pm and we had no problem with paying the door tax. There were 3 rooms where we could go to and we chose the main room to start. Whilst we visited all 3 rooms our preference was the main room where the music was more to our liking.The diversity of sounds coming from the main room was refreshing. The sounds coming from the Spirit of stafford room were new sounds, the ethos of which I loved. However, I was unable to dance in this room due to the tile dancefloor. In my opinion, the tunes played in this room are ones that are'nt played at many places in the country but they reflect the spirit of Stafford sound nevertheless. I salute the DJ's for this. thumbsup.gif . I personally had no problem with the bar prices, considering that the venue was a nightclub as it was in the 80's. I had the time of mt life and I hope it will be an annual event.biggrin.gif

Oi oi Angie! Fab to see you enjoying yourself with that old sparkle in your eye again chick. And just where have you been hiding that cute little brother of yours all this time, that's what I want to know? Me & your Stevie had a bit of a giggle setting the world to rights and I demand you bring him out again soon yes.gif

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Well I had an absolutely fantastic time on Sunday !

The 20th celebrations at the Queens Hall were fab but the 25th were even better !

Don't have time to do a register of who to thank & say hello to as my lunch hour is nearly over laugh.gif so I'll just thank everyone & say hello to everyone wave.gif I know you were there, you know you were there & that's all that counts, for me.

Well done to everyone involved.

Here's to the 30th celebrations beer.gif

Ali x

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Well I had an absolutely fantastic time on Sunday !

The 20th celebrations at the Queens Hall were fab but the 25th were even better !

Here's to the 30th celebrations beer.gif

Ali x

BLOODLY HELL ALISON, Don't say that I will be 60 in 5 years,laugh.gif

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

no more just leave it alonethumbsup.gif

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Oi oi Angie! Fab to see you enjoying yourself with that old sparkle in your eye again chick. And just where have you been hiding that cute little brother of yours all this time, that's what I want to know? Me & your Stevie had a bit of a giggle setting the world to rights and I demand you bring him out again soon yes.gif

Hi Theresa

Big sis Angie has promised to take me somewhere else soon!

Thanks for the intro to the " South London Massive" and looking after Angie.

Take care Kid!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I am so gutted that I couldn't make this one!!!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I've finally put my playlist and thoughts on my blog, for those who asked. Sorry its so late.

john

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Here's some more footage

Been sat on my pc for 3 months now. Thought I better upload before I forget again!

Edited by soulechoes

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Just put all my little videos together in one compilation from that great night and played with contrast/brightness a little.

Edited by soulechoes

Share this forum post

soul source url
  1. Old guy Stafford spin
    Look At Your Box by Speedlimit on Sat 30 Nov 2019
    • 2 / 609
    • Chalky on 01 Dec 2019
  2. Pat Brady At Stafford Unknown
    Look At Your Box by Chalky on Sun 19 May 2013
    • 52 / 9508
    • Will on 07 Nov 2019
  3. Stafford Gem
    Record Sales by Mach on Sun 28 Jul 2019
    • 1 / 555
    • Mach on 28 Jul 2019
  4. TOGETHERNESS 2010
    Record Wants by Daz Mc on Sat 01 Jun 2019
    • 1 / 234
    • daz mc on 01 Jun 2019
  5. Mona Lisa - I Can´t Stand Myself / I Love Me - DADE 2010
    Record Sales by Redstripe on Wed 06 Mar 2019
    • 1 / 267
    • redstripe on 06 Mar 2019

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.