Columbia Custom Matrix Numbers

Guest Reg Bartlette

Guest Reg Bartlette

Request from REGINALD (REG) BARTLETTE...author of "OFF THE RECORD" - MOTOWN BY MASTER NUMBER.

After I had sold my Motown Collection some years ago to Mr. Berry Gordy, Jr, (thanks to my friend, the late EWART ABNER II), I had embarked on a FINAL research project that no one had ever attempted before. Over the last 12 years or so, I've researched what would eventually become the ultimate database covering the United States Columbia Custom Matrix Numbering System (used for outside record clients from 1950 through 1979). The prime objective of this research was to better enable one to determine very accurate release dates of rare, obscure and 1-off record releases where not previously known. This has been more than accomplished through this project now numbering over 27,000 entries and some 2,500 different record labels. The research takes in record pressings from plants in NEW YORK, CHICAGO and NASHVILLE. I am pleased to say that it has since become the most complete listing of Columbia Custom Pressings in the world!!

Since many members on this site are in to Columbia Custom (Chicago) pressings that feature matrices beginning with prefixes ZTSC (7" mono), ZTEC (7" e.p.'s), XCTV (LP's mono), XCSV (LP's stereo), etc, etc, I'd be interested in corresponding with members (the intent being to add information on very obscure and 1 of a kind record pressings not known by most collectors). I've a TON of information already, but am seeking full information on those elusive 1-off disks.

I'm also hoping to complete research in to the late 1960's and early 1970's singles releases owned by SHELBY SINGLETON, JR. Labels such as SUN INTERNATIONAL, SUN GOLDEN TREASURES, PLANTATION, SSS INTERNATIONAL, MINARET, BLACK PRINCE, BLUE FOX, SILVER FOX, SHARE and other associated Shelby Singleton owned labels. Many 45rpm releases would have ZTSB (mono) matrix numbers (generally only located in the runout areas only on disk) or ZSSB (stereo) matrix numbers. I've come a long way with the labels, but mostly for album pressings featuring matrix prefixes and numbers beginning with letters XSBV (stereo) or XTBV (mono), XSY (stereo lp's). The difficult part of Columbia (Nashville) pressings was that the "vast majority" of the 7" singles did not list the Columbia matrix numbers on the labels, so they are located only in the runout areas on disk. Same thing with albums too!! This has made it difficult to "discover" new records that were pressed out of Columbia Nashville. Not much information to date on 45's owned by Shelby Singleton, so I would appreciate any help that anyone is able to offer or possibly in form of full info or large label scans covering all labels. Would also welcome names and contact information from people that you know could assist?

A large percentage of 7" singles pressings featured COLUMBIA CUSTOM matrix numbers that began with prefixes such as ZTSP (mono 7") which were pressed in New York plant. New York had the largest number of record pressings). Next in line was NASHVILLE plant which carried prefixes such as ZTSB (mono) & ZSSB (stereo) (Nashville pressings were mostly Country labels from 1962 to 1979). The 3rd pressing plant was located in Chicago which pressed records with prefixes such as ZTSC (7" mono), XCTV (12" mono albums), XCSV (stereo albums), and so on. Over-all, Columbia Custom used at least 30 other prefixes for e.p.'s, albums, Government pressings and much more.

The mastering or pressing plants that pressed other matrix number prefixes such as ZTSP or ZTSC almost ALWAYS listed the numbers on the record labels, which had made things a little easier to find and add to the database.

Record dealers, Record collectors, Archivists and Music Historians would enjoy using this as a "tool" for music, as very exact release dates have been determined through this research by listing these matrix numbers in strict numerical order. Also forming a part of this record research are about 5,000 record label "scans" of Columbia Custom pressings to go along with the information. CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE for MOTOWN ITEMS AND MEMORABILIA CURRENTLY UP FOR SALE, along with in depth information on MOTOWN RESEARCH and COLUMBIA CUSTOM RESEARCH now available to all. See address below.

thanks,

Reg Bartlette

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

www.melo-deemusicresearch.com

reginald@mail2world.com

204-221-3373 (CST)

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Request from REGINALD (REG) BARTLETTE...author of "OFF THE RECORD" - MOTOWN BY MASTER NUMBER.

After I had sold my Motown Collection some years ago to Mr. Berry Gordy, Jr, (thanks to my friend, the late EWART ABNER II), I had embarked on a FINAL research project that no one had ever attempted before. Over the last 12 years or so, I've researched what would eventually become the ultimate database covering the United States Columbia Custom Matrix Numbering System (used for outside record clients from 1950 through 1979). The prime objective of this research was to better enable one to determine very accurate release dates of rare, obscure and 1-off record releases where not previously known. This has been more than accomplished through this project now numbering over 27,000 entries and some 2,500 different record labels. The research takes in record pressings from plants in NEW YORK, CHICAGO and NASHVILLE. I am pleased to say that it has since become the most complete listing of Columbia Custom Pressings in the world!!

Since many members on this site are in to Columbia Custom (Chicago) pressings that feature matrices beginning with prefixes ZTSC (7" mono), ZTEC (7" e.p.'s), XCTV (LP's mono), XCSV (LP's stereo), etc, etc, I'd be interested in corresponding with members (the intent being to add information on very obscure and 1 of a kind record pressings not known by most collectors). I've a TON of information already, but am seeking full information on those elusive 1-off disks.

I'm also hoping to complete research in to the late 1960's and early 1970's singles releases owned by SHELBY SINGLETON, JR. Labels such as SUN INTERNATIONAL, SUN GOLDEN TREASURES, PLANTATION, SSS INTERNATIONAL, MINARET, BLACK PRINCE, BLUE FOX, SILVER FOX, SHARE and other associated Shelby Singleton owned labels. Many 45rpm releases would have ZTSB (mono) matrix numbers (generally only located in the runout areas only on disk) or ZSSB (stereo) matrix numbers. I've come a long way with the labels, but mostly for album pressings featuring matrix prefixes and numbers beginning with letters XSBV (stereo) or XTBV (mono), XSY (stereo lp's). The difficult part of Columbia (Nashville) pressings was that the "vast majority" of the 7" singles did not list the Columbia matrix numbers on the labels, so they are located only in the runout areas on disk. Same thing with albums too!! This has made it difficult to "discover" new records that were pressed out of Columbia Nashville. Not much information to date on 45's owned by Shelby Singleton, so I would appreciate any help that anyone is able to offer or possibly in form of full info or large label scans covering all labels. Would also welcome names and contact information from people that you know could assist?

A large percentage of 7" singles pressings featured COLUMBIA CUSTOM matrix numbers that began with prefixes such as ZTSP (mono 7") which were pressed in New York plant. New York had the largest number of record pressings). Next in line was NASHVILLE plant which carried prefixes such as ZTSB (mono) & ZSSB (stereo) (Nashville pressings were mostly Country labels from 1962 to 1979). The 3rd pressing plant was located in Chicago which pressed records with prefixes such as ZTSC (7" mono), XCTV (12" mono albums), XCSV (stereo albums), and so on. Over-all, Columbia Custom used at least 30 other prefixes for e.p.'s, albums, Government pressings and much more.

The mastering or pressing plants that pressed other matrix number prefixes such as ZTSP or ZTSC almost ALWAYS listed the numbers on the record labels, which had made things a little easier to find and add to the database.

Record dealers, Record collectors, Archivists and Music Historians would enjoy using this as a "tool" for music, as very exact release dates have been determined through this research by listing these matrix numbers in strict numerical order. Also forming a part of this record research are about 5,000 record label "scans" of Columbia Custom pressings to go along with the information. CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE for MOTOWN ITEMS AND MEMORABILIA CURRENTLY UP FOR SALE, along with in depth information on MOTOWN RESEARCH and COLUMBIA CUSTOM RESEARCH now available to all. See address below.

thanks,

Reg Bartlette

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

www.melo-deemusicresearch.com

reginald@mail2world.com

204-221-3373 (CST)

Looks extremely Interesting, I work nights & I'm going to work shortly, I will have a closer look tomorrow.

Social source share

This is 100% what Soul Source should be about. Sharing knowledge and building awareness. Reg Bartlette's credentials are impeccable. Soul Source is the No.1 Northern Soul resource on the net and I'm sure Reg will soak up whatever knowledge can be thrown his way. I would urge anyone knowledgeable within this area to contribute.

I don't know and have never met Reg, but I really applaud his efforts!

If only I had that level of focus..........

Best,

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!