The Top 3 Sounds Of 2009

barney

the year is coming to a close

what are your top 3 new or rediscovered soul sounds for 2009

as far as I can remember hearing for the first time this year

baby -ellie greenwich

the world again- honey townsend

sitting in my class- ronnie mcnair

these have been around for years no doubt but have only come to the fore for me this year

Social source share

• Replies 104
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

Blimey, so many, but i'll choose three regular plays at Move On for me, from Killa and Adam.

Jimmy Hanna - Busybody

Danny Owens - You're A Little Too Late

Ernie Washington - Lonesome Shack

These sum up the year for me, dirty gritty and soulful :tongue:

Social source share

Blimey, so many, but i'll choose three regular plays at Move On for me, from Killa and Adam.

Jimmy Hanna - Busybody

These sum up the year for me, dirty gritty and soulful :tongue:

like Sean says .. Blimey and so many to choose from , I'm going for the Carl Dixon production 2009............... " Spyder Turner .. Tell me !! " its so fresh and most of all new , it shows soul music can still be made today thumbsup.gif

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

Kris Peterson - Just As Much

Patti Drew - Stop And Listen

Kenny Carter - Showdown I had listened to this before, but it was untill this year that I discovered it's one of the most gorgeous pieces of music ever created.

Social source share

like Sean says .. Blimey and so many to choose from , I'm going for the Carl Dixon production 2009............... " Spyder Turner .. Tell me !! " its so fresh and most of all new , it shows soul music can still be made today thumbsup.gif

I'm With you on this Chalky have you seen the Oh so beautiful test press on You Tubeyes.gif

Social source share

3 for 2009, that went down well;

phyllis brown - why - rainbo (sublime forgotten oldie! double sider aswell!)

frankie seay - all i want is loving you - tropical (full on stomper with attitude!)

george hughley - do the beatle - gaye (hard to find 60s rnb stormer with a stupid title but what a tunnnne!)

russ

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

For me this year its been

1. Pazazz - So Hard To Find

2. Sag War Fare - Don't Be So Jive

3. Melton Brothers Band - Living In The City

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Though you'd never guess it from the replies! (Not a Jimmy Abney in site whistling.gif )

I must have misunderstood the original question. Did we have to post only sounds recorded/released this year?

Even so Jimmy Abney's music doesn't even come close to the sounds listed so far, in my opinion. no.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Jimmy Hanna - Busybody

These sum up the year for me, dirty gritty and soulful tongue.gif

It's been a great year for hearing things new to me, heaed so many great records this year it's almost impossible to choose! The Danny Owens, which I first heard from Killa (or poss Callum) is totally brilliant and is probably the pick of the bunch. Ernie Washington is my all time favourite record and I really regret selling it but at the time had little choice 6.gif.

My three, also Move On spins

Victoria Williams & JD Ledbetter - Show Some Sign - Verve (was totally unknown to me before hearing Matt play it)

JT Parker - If You Want To Hold On - Academy (Des Parker played this covered up as Herb Johnson when he guested for us....I've never run to the decks so fast in an attempt to find out what it was, only to be very disappointed to see a cover up label! Then Callum got a copy and gave it regular plays.)

Rufus Lumley - Minneap'lis Minnesota - Afford (first heard at Lifeline, played I think by Flanny and was very pleased to pick up a copy for myself soon after)

Not put Danny Owens in as it's already been picked by Matt. Honourable mentions also have to be Al Robinson, Keith & Billie, Sonny Rhodes, Rena Scott, Guitar Slim, Roy Roberts and loads more. Here's to hearing even more stuff new to me in 2010 :). Who's going to start the 'Top Three Tips for 2010' thread then??

Social source share

I'll go with these three...

Bobby Garrett - I Can't Get Away - Mirwood - I'd forgotten how bloody awesome this is, old school and then some...

The Tiaras - Surprise - Op Art - Probably an oldie to many, but to hear sounds like this in 2009/10 is a revelation....let's hope there's more out there like this.

Roy Roberts Experience - You Move Me - House of the Fox, is this the new wave? It's new to me..edgy and funky

all the best for 2010 people....

John

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Roy Roberts Experience - You Move Me - House of the Fox, is this the new wave? It's new to me..edgy and funky

all the best for 2010 people....

John

No not a new release, it's about 1970 i think, i'll check when i get home. This was another play at Move On at our first night in January and a few DJs went off and found their own copies straight away (Karl Heard and Callum in particular). It was known before we played it, but it is one of those great underplayed sounds that makes everyone pick up their ears. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I must have misunderstood the original question. Did we have to post only sounds recorded/released this year?

Even so Jimmy Abney's music doesn't even come close to the sounds listed so far, in my opinion. no.gif

Well how about Marcell & The Truth "Can't wait", or Teena Marie "Marry me", or SoulPersona "Can't hide", or Will Downing "Something special" or Kylie Auldist "This girl" or Laura Izibor, or Darien, or Calvin Richardson, Klyde Jones, Donnie Williams, Joe, Clark Sisters etc.? Surely a thread entitled "Top 3 sounds of 2009" should contain some of these, or should it be "Top 3 sounds of the 6ts you heard in 2009"?

So much great music is still made, contrary to some people's belief.

Social source share

No not a new release, it's about 1970 i think, i'll check when i get home. This was another play at Move On at our first night in January and a few DJs went off and found their own copies straight away (Karl Heard and Callum in particular). It was known before we played it, but it is one of those great underplayed sounds that makes everyone pick up their ears. thumbsup.gif

Thank's for the info Matt - Though what I meant by new was in the sense of it being one of the new wave of funkier edgier sounds I hear are getting played these days.....

Managed to get one as well and will be playing it out very soon thumbup.gif

Social source share

asking for your top 3 new or rediscovered sounds for 2009 , ie sounds you have only heard for the first time this year

thumbup.gifsimples thumbup.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Well how about Marcell & The Truth "Can't wait", or Teena Marie "Marry me", or SoulPersona "Can't hide", or Will Downing "Something special" or Kylie Auldist "This girl" or Laura Izibor, or Darien, or Calvin Richardson, Klyde Jones, Donnie Williams, Joe, Clark Sisters etc.? Surely a thread entitled "Top 3 sounds of 2009" should contain some of these, or should it be "Top 3 sounds of the 6ts you heard in 2009"?

So much great music is still made, contrary to some people's belief.

No one said great music wasn't still being made and no one said it should only be 60s sounds either in their top 3. I assumed it was top 3 sounds from any era, because that's what i'm interested in. Every time people start talking about hearing new 60s and 70s modern soul lovers jump down their throats it seems to me, like we all have to love modern soul or we aren't 'proper' soul fans.

Why don't you start a thread, Top 3 New Soul Releases of 2009? thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Thank's for the info Matt - Though what I meant by new was in the sense of it being one of the new wave of funkier edgier sounds I hear are getting played these days.....

Managed to get one as well and will be playing it out very soon thumbup.gif

Yeah i thought that's what you meant but wasn't sure. Great sound, strangely still not widely played out, dunno why?

Have fun with yours thumbup.gif

Social source share

The three 45's that have given me the most pleasure this year are...

'Step aside baby' THE LOLLIPOPS - IMPACT

Midtempo girly magic, cheers to Pete S for selling me a copy, I'd been after one for ages, simply divine...

'You've been fooling yourself' - THE BRACELETS - 20TH CENTURY

Played this about 150 times this year, don't know why, just makes me smile every time I hear it! Fantastic girly group dancer...

'Stranger to love' INEZ AND CHARLIE FOXX - MUSICOR

Wil never tire of this piece of moody femme beauty. Play this to anybody who has never heard it and watch their reaction. thumbsup.gif

Oh dear, 3 unashamedly 6Ts platters, all girly tunes as well, oh well, there is just no saving some people!no.gif

Social source share

Two plus Two-'I'm Sure' b/w 'Look Around'-Velgo, heard this a couple of years ago when Butch bought it, but heard a great deal more this year with Arthur having a copy as well

Houston Outlaws-Save the world-C/U, a few turn up this year, the dancefloor goes crazy for this in Europe

Peaches-Counts-Shrine, Heard Marc Forrest play this off the original studio disc he has, had them rockin in Germany

Last Generation-Just a chance in life-Last Generation, A few copies have turn up now from the label owner, one of the best modern soul new finds of the last few years

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

the year is coming to a close

what are your top 3 new or rediscovered soul sounds for 2009

as far as I can remember hearing for the first time this year

baby -ellie greenwich

the world again- honey townsend

sitting in my class- ronnie mcnair

these have been around for years no doubt but have only come to the fore for me this year

Barney, the Ellie Greenwich is a great record thumbsup.gif

Can't understand why it's never had more exposure?

Perhaps it's cos it's not the easiest to get hold of, although it's relatively cheap (compared to big ticket items).

Took me a while to find one and been spinning it at Capones since we started 2 years ago. Only time I can remember hearing it elsewhere was when Roger Banks spun it (but can't remember where at now)!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Lefties Soul - You Don't Know is tune of the year for me. A right good stomper, deserves exposure on the northern scene, but probably won't for obvious reasons. Like because it's new, and good, and wasn't played at Wigan.

Butch's Four Perfections C/U, known about for a little while and a few copies about, but only really gathering interest this year. Too good and too rare for the northern soul scene in the UK to latch onto proper, I'd guess, so probably will never be as big as it should be, but who knows...

Primers - Sometimes I Wonder c/u. Not often a good and unknown traditional sounding northern tune comes along these days. Been getting some action at Burnley, I believe? One to watch out for...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Lefties Soul - You Don't Know is tune of the year for me. A right good stomper, deserves exposure on the northern scene, but probably won't for obvious reasons. Like because it's new, and good, and wasn't played at Wigan.

Good call. That would have been my fourth choice. Played it at the last Move On and it sounded great out loud. I'll be spinning it again next year. thumbsup.gif Gives the lie to that bollocks that we don't like new releases on this scene, they have to be quality though (unlike Jimmy Abney) laugh.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Good call. That would have been my fourth choice. Played it at the last Move On and it sounded great out loud. I'll be spinning it again next year. thumbsup.gif Gives the lie to that bollocks that we don't like new releases on this scene, they have to be quality though (unlike Jimmy Abney) laugh.gif

Trying to be realistic....and this from promoters who see real crowds;

THAT DRIVING BEAT- WILLIE MITCHELL is certainly the most popular revived 45, largely due to Pete Roberts and his incredible success at the Wheel.

And...as a new giant...BACK SLOP-BABY EARL

Both appeal to the masses right now!

Social source share

back slop thumbup.gif

for me its Gabin , feat Dee Dee Bridgewater 'into my soul'

Charity Northern Soul & Motown Revue @ HUNTINGTON WMC

SATURDAY 16TH JANUARY 2010

In aid of St. Leonards Hospice, York

DJ's Little Av & Pete Jay (Manifesto Soul Club}, Andy Bellwood (The Belfry, Taste Of Honey & Riley Smith Hall),Andy Hudson & Mike Ward (Soul & Motown Revue)

Huntington WMC,1 North Moor Road, Huntington, York. YO32 9QS Tel 01904 768370 Andy01904 441428 Mike 01904 340764£5:00 (8 till 1am) arrive early

Dates for your diary - 24th April 2010 , Northern Soul & Motown Revue, Classic Club Soul Night and more

- 10th July 2010 - 1st Anniversary Alldayer , Free Style DJing

Social source share

The three 45's that have given me the most pleasure this year are...

'Stranger to love' INEZ AND CHARLIE FOXX - MUSICOR

Wil never tire of this piece of moody femme beauty. Play this to anybody who has never heard it and watch their reaction. thumbsup.gif

Co-incedence alert!, my mate Mark Brown played this out last month at our anniversary at Bonnyrigg soul club and Kenny Burrell who was guesting remarked how good it was to hear this played out, a fantastic tune and one that I've had on Stateside since wayyyy back,

Lenny :lol:

Social source share

getting some great responces , what I want is your three top (heard for the first time or revived from the distant past) sounds which you think are the top 3 sounds for 2009'.

hope to compile these into a list and then choose the 3 most popular as the sounds of 2009 , lets see how it goes and please no arguements about their merits new or old etc , everyone is entitled to their choice.

will discuss later how to achieve final result

Social source share

Guest clanger v2

JT Parker - If You Want To Hold On - Academy (Des Parker played this covered up as Herb Johnson when he guested for us....I've never run to the decks so fast in an attempt to find out what it was, only to be very disappointed to see a cover up label! Then Callum got a copy and gave it regular plays.)

Had exactly the same effect on me mate.

Best new tune I've heard out for a long, long time.

Now who wants to sell me a copy laugh.gif

Social source share

Another one originally first championed by Andy Dyson who found a (very) few copies. Think Tim Brown was the seocnd to play it as aC/UP "Bring Me My Coffe In The Morning". It nice to have guest DJ´s like these so we could hear it twice this year at the Hip City without any of the residents owning a copy good.gif

Social source share

Two plus Two-'I'm Sure' b/w 'Look Around'-Velgo, heard this a couple of years ago when Butch bought it, but heard a great deal more this year with Arthur having a copy as well

Houston Outlaws-Save the world-C/U, a few turn up this year, the dancefloor goes crazy for this in Europe

Peaches-Counts-Shrine, Heard Marc Forrest play this off the original studio disc he has, had them rockin in Germany

Last Generation-Just a chance in life-Last Generation, A few copies have turn up now from the label owner, one of the best modern soul new finds of the last few years

Cheers Dave, your Houston Outlaws C/U definitely one of the top 45s for me this year...although I first heard you play it already back in 2008.

Followed DEFO by

Salt & Pepper "Man Of My Words"

and

Lee Fields "Take Me Back"...think this must have been the biggest reactivated tune ever in 2009 ?

My personal top three 2009 tunes though would be completed with

Keith Curtiss / Smoke

Social source share

2 newies to my ears

Beres Hammond....Do This World A Favour

Patti Hamiltons version of...Tell Me Tomorrow good.gif

And 1 forgotten oldie

Admirations...Wait Till I Get To Know You

Social source share

Guest vince peach

the three sounds that i heard for the first time and managed to buy

and play at most of my gigs are

Buckner Brothers love you from the bottom of my heart

Pat Peterman Love the way you do your thing

Maxine Davis before I leave

best

Vince

Social source share

the three sounds that i heard for the first time and managed to buy

and play at most of my gigs are

Buckner Brothers love you from the bottom of my heart

Pat Peterman Love the way you do your thing

Maxine Davis before I leave

best

Vince

T'other side of that Buckner Brothers is worth a spin alsothumbsup.gif

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Co-incedence alert!, my mate Mark Brown played this out last month at our anniversary at Bonnyrigg soul club and Kenny Burrell who was guesting remarked how good it was to hear this played out, a fantastic tune and one that I've had on Stateside since wayyyy back,

Lenny thumbsup.gif

That's great to hear mate, I have loved that record since I first heard it in 1973/74, it was one of the records that cemented my love of 60s Soul and I've always marvelled at it's moody sophistication. Fantastic production. Never heard it played back then, would be great to hear it in England now.

Again, cheers Pete S for my green Stateside copy! (One of those I had to have on US and UK!).thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'm going for 3 of the best value sounds that were new to my collection box in 2009 - I think all cost less than the postage g.gif

Ben E King - Not Now - Atco

Pandoras - Call me - Oliver

Liz Lands - Don't Shut Me Out - One-derful

Happy Xmas good.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!