Move On Soul Club 1St Anniversary

Guest Matt Male

Guest Matt Male

Thought i'd get in early on this and give you all plenty of time. 15th January 2010 is Move On Soul Club's first anniversary. For a year now we've tried to play underplayed and forgotten and newly discovered rare soul and RnB, mostly uptempo 60s but with room for other eras, at our club nights in Coventry. We've come a long way, but one thing hasn't changed and that's our exceptional music policy, largely thanks to a succession of the best rare soul DJs in the country.

This time sees the return of Johnny Fingers, who played our first night at our current venue and Steve Csordas, who along with Callum, Killa and Karl Heard, was a DJ at our first ever night back in January 2009. Lots of people pay lip service to the need for fresh and different sounds and it would be nice to see this event well attended. See you there i hope.

MOVE ON RARE SOUL CLUB

Quality underplayed, forgotten and current rare and northern soul

Friday 15th January 2010

8pm - 1am

£5 On the door

DJs

Johnny Fingers

Steve Csordas

Adam Topping

Matt Male

Coventry Sports Connextion

Leamington Road

Ryton-on-Dunsmore

Coventry

CV8 3FL

www.moveonsoulclub.co.uk

• Replies 36
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

May I be the first to congratulate you on your anniversary lads...I know it's been hard at times with numbers but personally I think you have one of the most upfront music policys on the scene today and in 2010 I hope you get the recognition you rightly deserve...will try and make it over to celebrate...but in the likelyhood i'll be skint as fook after Crimbo...have a good one anyway! :elvis:

May I be the first to congratulate you on your anniversary lads...I know it's been hard at times with numbers but personally I think you have one of the most upfront music policys on the scene today and in 2010 I hope you get the recognition you rightly deserve...will try and make it over to celebrate...but in the likelyhood i'll be skint as fook after Crimbo...have a good one anyway! :ohmy:

Cheers mate :elvis:. If I don't speak to you before then have a good christmas good.gif

Thought i'd get in early on this and give you all plenty of time. 15th January 2010 is Move On Soul Club's first anniversary. For a year now we've tried to play underplayed and forgotten and newly discovered rare soul and RnB, mostly uptempo 60s but with room for other eras, at our club nights in Coventry. We've come a long way, but one thing hasn't changed and that's our exceptional music policy, largely thanks to a succession of the best rare soul DJs in the country.

This time sees the return of Johnny Fingers, who played our first night at our current venue and Steve Csordas, who along with Callum, Killa and Karl Heard, was a DJ at our first ever night back in January 2009. Lots of people pay lip service to the need for fresh and different sounds and it would be nice to see this event well attended. See you there i hope.

1 year.....time really does fly! I'm feeling positive that 2010 is going to be a good year for Move On :lol:

One bit if news.....sadly Killa is unable to continue as a resident DJ for us in 2010, as the travelling down from Stockport every month on a friday night has become a bit too much. Matt and I would like to thank Killa for all the effort and support he has given Move On, a great guy and fantastic DJ who will be guesting for us 2 or 3 times during the coming year. Not an easy person to replace.....I've been talking to people and asking around to try and find a DJ capable of stepping in and after a week or so I started to realise how difficult it was going to be. But I'm very pleased to announce that we have found someone that we both believe is a suitable replacemt and who will bring his own style and personality plus of course a touch of class and quality. Joining Matt and myself as a resident DJ is one of the scenes top guys:

Johnny Fingers

Welcome on board John :lol::thumbup: :thumbup:

Guest Matt Male

May I be the first to congratulate you on your anniversary lads...I know it's been hard at times with numbers but personally I think you have one of the most upfront music policys on the scene today and in 2010 I hope you get the recognition you rightly deserve...will try and make it over to celebrate...but in the likelyhood i'll be skint as fook after Crimbo...have a good one anyway! thumbup.gif

Thanks Beeks, it means a lot that people appreciate what we have tried to do. Yes it is tough thesedays to get a new night up and running, especially one that's not wall to wall oldies, but one thing Adam and i are proud of is that we have never caved in on music policy, it would be easy to start playing exclusively oldies to get people in, but neither of us are in it for the money and to be honest there are several perfectly good oldies nights around here anyway (including Mark's Coop which in my opinion is the best oldies soul night in the country) so no need for another.

I've heard more stuff new to my ears at our nights this year, from all our guest DJs, than ever before. We're both looking forward to another year of new sounds, reactivated and forgotten oldies, the flipsides, the neglected quality cheapies, and that back of the box stuff we all love. thumbup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

And amen to that.

One year anniversary, where does the time go?

See you there thumbup.gif

I've heard more stuff new to my ears at our nights this year, from all our guest DJs, than ever before. We're both looking forward to another year of new sounds, reactivated and forgotten oldies, the flipsides, the neglected quality cheapies, and that back of the box stuff we all love. thumbup.gif

So much for me taking it easy in Jan, looks like I'll be out Fri and Sat for this weekend...rolleyes.gif

But neither are nighters are they? So that is taking it easy :wub:

Congrats guys on the 1st of many!!!.thumbup.gif

Cheers mate :wub:. Look forward to catching up with you soon.

And amen to that.

One year anniversary, where does the time go?

See you there thumbup.gif

Time does fly Tabs, sometimes it feels like I only turned 30 a couple of years ago................oops hang on, it was only a couple of years ago :wub: :wub:.

2009 did seem to fly past though, here's hoping that Move On can build on the support from regulars like yourself and really establish itself this year. I'm feeling positive that we can and with a DJ like Fingers taking up the residents spot it shows how serious we are about playing nothing but quality sounds.

Guest jumitja

hey adam 20 yrs is not a couple u old bstrd laugh.gif .i wil say ,you did look younger before you decided niters were the right thing to do wicked.gif .

will be there with the usual crowd. also bringing mitch to show him what his old man keeps raving on about thumbsup.gif . really looking forward to this especially with johnny and steve gracing the decks with there usual top quality spins .see you there. thumbup.gif kev

hey adam 20 yrs is not a couple u old bstrd :thumbsup: .i wil say ,you did look younger before you decided niters were the right thing to do wicked.gif .

will be there with the usual crowd. also bringing mitch to show him what his old man keeps raving on about thumbsup.gif . really looking forward to this especially with johnny and steve gracing the decks with there usual top quality spins .see you there. thumbup.gif kev

Cheers Kev, knew I could rely on you to put me in my place :ohmy:. I did look younger before becoming a niter regular, reckon it's your driving that's made me age so quickly whistling.gif.

Look forward to seeing you there mate, Mitch is in for a real eye-opener.....might actually classify as mental torture for the poor lad :sleep3:.

Only a week now until we celebrate a year of Move On, we're going to keep going as we started....asking quality DJs to play quality, lesser known, underplayed, forgotten sounds blended with current big spins and a few classics.

Even got one or two new bits myself that I'm looking forward tp playing out!

Guest Matt Male

DJ Times for Friday

8 - 8.30 Matt

8.30 - 9.00 Adam

9.00 - 9.30 Matt

9.30 - 10 Adam

10 - 11 Johnny Fingers

11 - 12 Steve Csordas

12 - 12.30 Matt

12.30- 01.00 Adam

Good to see you on Saturday Adam.

I should be there for opening time on Friday - subject to the weather of course.

First year under your respective belts, well done.

Obviously Matt's belt is a lot bigger than yours Adam. wicked.gif

Congrats on a club well run.

Onwards and upwards.thumbup.gif

Guest Matt Male

I should be there for opening time on Friday - subject to the weather of course.

Onwards and upwards.thumbup.gif

See you there Tabs. Sorry i missed Banbury but was dragged along to a wedding reception (who the hell gets married at this time of year...). I have a big belt to support my spine 'cos i'm the one who has to carry the speakers up that fire escape ph34r.gif not looking forward to doing that in the snow and ice on Friday....

After my festive 'shut down' period, and using the recent weather to delay my start to Soulin' in 2010 by another week, I'm now GAGGING to get back to our beloved Soul music environment.

What better way to kick this years Soul travels off than this Friday's Move On in Coventry. In addition to Adam and Matt celebrating their first year in their attempts to keep the Soul scene 'fresh', in their pushing the musical boundaries necessary to ensure some longevity to the Rare Soul scene, it also sees my inauguration appearance as the new addition to the resident DJ's of this forward thinking Soul Club.

I've always, purposely, stayed away from any residencies in the belief they could hinder opportunities for DJ bookings at other promotions. However - with Move On - I feel, on this occasion, it is a perfect move..

I feel my musical ethos fits perfectly with what the Move On experience strives to provide those that want it.. And quietly confident I can prove to be an asset to the music policy on offer - with me being in a position to give up some brilliant tunes that, as yet, the mainstream Soulies have not heard - due to me NOT before having the outlet to give them regular (or any..) outings.

With a DJ set basically consisting of an average of 24 musical offerings, coupled with having to provide the correct, and necessary, 'mix' - according to the (most) venue's individual policy - I still have plenty of tracks that have not even yet seen the light of day that NEED to be heard.. Move On gives me the opportunity to finally get those songs on to the turntables on a regular enough basis for them to become 'known'.

With the addition of things that are 'unique' to me (one-offs, acetates, etc.) I look forward to offering up sets that compliment the Move On commitment, and thank both Adam & Matt for their confidence in me to achieve JUST that !!

See you all on Friday..

Soul as GOOD as you could ever want - and THEN some !!

Fingers thumbup.gif

Adam, Matt - Well that year went quick. Well done lads, throughly enjoyed Friday nights at Move On. Heard lots of great tunes throughout the year. Your guest dj's have been brillant. Good luck for the future. Looking forward to the next year and more of the same!:thumbup:

Charlie Mc

Onwards and upwards.:yes:

Cheers Tabs,

It was, as it always is, a pleasure to see you as well :thumbup:. Looking forward to seeing you on Friday...in fact I'm generally just looking forward to Friday! Seems like ages since the last Move On and can't wait to get back into it. Started sorting some records to play last night, the usual struggle to decide what to put in the playbox and what to take out. Doesn't matter how big that playbox is, always seem to have the same decisions to make! Got some new stuff that I'm really looking forward to playing and desperately hoping a 45 I bought arrives before Friday. But the playbox is mainly filled with my favourite Move On spins of 2009, it's our anniversary so for one of my later sets going to celebrate that fact by playing records that have helped us get this far.

It is true, Matt's belt is slightly larger than mine.....but the way I'm going a few years and the situation might well be reversed :yes:. It's the chocolate....I can't resist the chocolate.

After my festive 'shut down' period, and using the recent weather to delay my start to Soulin' in 2010 by another week, I'm now GAGGING to get back to our beloved Soul music environment.

What better way to kick this years Soul travels off than this Friday's Move On in Coventry. In addition to Adam and Matt celebrating their first year in their attempts to keep the Soul scene 'fresh', in their pushing the musical boundaries necessary to ensure some longevity to the Rare Soul scene, it also sees my inauguration appearance as the new addition to the resident DJ's of this forward thinking Soul Club.

I've always, purposely, stayed away from any residencies in the belief they could hinder opportunities for DJ bookings at other promotions. However - with Move On - I feel, on this occasion, it is a perfect move..

I feel my musical ethos fits perfectly with what the Move On experience strives to provide those that want it.. And quietly confident I can prove to be an asset to the music policy on offer - with me being in a position to give up some brilliant tunes that, as yet, the mainstream Soulies have not heard - due to me NOT before having the outlet to give them regular (or any..) outings.

With a DJ set basically consisting of an average of 24 musical offerings, coupled with having to provide the correct, and necessary, 'mix' - according to the (most) venue's individual policy - I still have plenty of tracks that have not even yet seen the light of day that NEED to be heard.. Move On gives me the opportunity to finally get those songs on to the turntables on a regular enough basis for them to become 'known'.

With the addition of things that are 'unique' to me (one-offs, acetates, etc.) I look forward to offering up sets that compliment the Move On commitment, and thank both Adam & Matt for their confidence in me to achieve JUST that !!

See you all on Friday..

Soul as GOOD as you could ever want - and THEN some !!

Fingers :lol:

Hi John,

We're really excited by the prospect of having you as a resident DJ. When Killa was no longer able to continue I sat down and worried that it would be difficult to find another DJ of Killa's standard. In my opinion there are very few DJs good enough and with collections of sufficient quality and quantity to be able to do a monthly prime time set at a rare/upfront soul night.......which is why the shortlist for replacing Killa only had one name on it, thank god you said yes :lol:. It's going to be a pleasure listening to some of those sounds you mentioned and it's also going to be a lot of fun :lol:. (Just to get in before anyone else does, no I don't consider myself as one of those 'few DJs good enough...' don't think Matt does either (though he is an excellent DJ) which is why Matt and I tend alternate the 'warm em up' and 'send em home happy' time slots and leave the two prime time hours to our guest and other resident).

Weather is looking better around here, snow is slowly melting away so fingers crossed we don't get anymore and it's all clear on Friday. But even if it isn't the venue if located on a main road and there won't be any problems getting to it at all, so even if the weather turns nasty again we'll be open as planned and raring to go :yes:.

Adam.

Edited by Guest

Congrats Matt & Adam on getting to the 1 year 1st Anniversary.

I have enjoyed my couple of visits last year as a punter and to come over with Russ to DJ - what a great night that was!

Nice to see you 'choosing well' with your new resident DJ - Johnny. Great guy with some nice records and a fountain of knowledge as well.

Looks like a great DJ line up - so here's to a great night!! THE place to be for something away from 'same old' played to death oldies.

Cheers, Ray Mahoney

I have enjoyed my couple of visits last year as a punter and to come over with Russ to DJ - what a great night that was!

Nice to see you 'choosing well' with your new resident DJ - Johnny. Great guy with some nice records and a fountain of knowledge as well.

Looks like a great DJ line up - so here's to a great night!! THE place to be for something away from 'same old' played to death oldies.

Cheers, Ray Mahoney

Sorry - posted twice (got some thing sticky over my keyboard the other day and a few of the keys dont work properly!!)

Edited by Raym
Guest Matt Male

Cheers, Ray Mahoney

Cheers Ray. thumbsup.gif

Hopefully the weather won't be a factor. We'll be running whatever happens. :thumbup:

Well done lads on your first anniversary have really enjoyed the few visits I have made over there, will be over on friday for your birthday. Its my birthday on friday as well so 2 celebrations in one

Colin...

Thanks Colin,

Look forward to seeing you there......turns out it's Matt's birthday on Monday, so celebrations all round :yes:.

Adam.

One piece of important news to make everyone aware of.....Steve Csordas won't be able to get to us on Friday. Steve lives down in deepest Hampshire, a long drive from there to Coventry in the current weather conditions is just an unrealistic thing to expect. Steve called me earlier and was willing to drive up if the weather didn't get any worse but I felt it would be better to get him booked to DJ for us at a later date.

So Steve will be guest DJ later in the year and we're really pleased to say that despite the short notice we've got a great DJ in to replace him. So our guest DJ for Friday is now 'Big Danny'. Really looking forward to hearing what he's got in store for us after the rave reports on his sets at some of the best venues around such as the Burnley nighter. ALso a big thanks to Danny for stepping in and being willing to bring forward his guest DJ booking from the date we originally had planned in April :thumbup:.

So DJ times will now look like this:

8 - 8.30 Matt

8.30 - 9.00 Adam

9.00 - 9.30 Matt

9.30 - 10 Adam

10 - 11 Johnny Fingers

11 - 12 Danny

12 - 12.30 Matt

12.30- 01.00 Adam

Edited by Guest

One piece of important news to make everyone aware of.....Steve Csordas won't be able to get to us on Friday. Steve lives down in deepest Hampshire, a long drive from there to Coventry in the current weather conditions is just an unrealistic thing to expect. Steve called me earlier and was willing to drive up if the weather didn't get any worse but I felt it would be better to get him booked to DJ for us at a later date.

So Steve will be guest DJ later in the year and we're really pleased to say that despite the short notice we've got a great DJ in to replace him. So our guest DJ for Friday is now 'Big Danny'. Really looking forward to hearing what he's got in store for us after the rave reports on his sets at some of the best venues around such as the Burnley nighter. ALso a big thanks to Danny for stepping in and being willing to bring forward his guest DJ booking from the date we originally had planned in April :thumbup:.

8 - 8.30 Matt

8.30 - 9.00 Adam

9.00 - 9.30 Matt

9.30 - 10 Adam

10 - 11 Johnny Fingers

11 - 12 Danny

12 - 12.30 Matt

12.30- 01.00 Adam

Makes sense not to risk any possible type of mis-hap due to traversing our wintry road conditions, and Steve will still be a worthwhile and welcome guest later in the year, giving us something else to look forward to at Move On in 2010.

What a replacement, though !! Big Danny did one AMAZING job when guesting at Burnley's Kestrel Suite in 2009 - so I'm positive he will bring a superb mix of selections to the attended on friday.. I, for one, welcome the opportunity to be party to another brilliant set of spins from this Soulster.

Bring it on !! Can't wait.. Excitement starting to kick in big style now !!

Fingers

Makes sense not to risk any possible type of mis-hap due to traversing our wintry road conditions, and Steve will still be a worthwhile and welcome guest later in the year, giving us something else to look forward to at Move On in 2010.

What a replacement, though !! Big Danny did one AMAZING job when guesting at Burnley's Kestrel Suite in 2009 - so I'm positive he will bring a superb mix of selections to the attended on friday.. I, for one, welcome the opportunity to be party to another brilliant set of spins from this Soulster.

Bring it on !! Can't wait.. Excitement starting to kick in big style now !!

Fingers

I missed Danny's set at Burnley but several people have told me played a blinder :lol::lol:. It's all looking good for tomorrow night, I'm really looking forward to our anniversary bash....great music, great company all in a superb venue and as much white powder as you could ever wish for :thumbup::wicked:.

Fingers.....are you excited yet???? :D:hatsoff2:

Guest Matt Male

Sorry to hear about Steve, but not worth risking it in this weather, even for us. Great that we've got Danny.

Bought a few bits recently, but just found out one is a boot... 6.gif So i won't be playing that one... bugger!

Edited by Matt Male
Guest gordon russell

Danny Price certainly played a blinder at Burnley cool.gif , looking forward to Friday.

Danny can play a blinder.....even when he ain,t dj,ing lol good luck big fella.......don,t forget BOBBYthumbup.gif

Charlie has just dropped off some records for you Adam.

I'll bring them along.

My courier charges are reasonable. whistling.gif

Cheers Tabs, I've always thought that a charge of £0.05 was a bit steep myself :g:. Use the extra money to help towards buying Charlie a few earbuds so he can clean em out if he's given them all back to you :D:wave:.

On the subject of records being delivered, the postman put a big grin on my face today when the record I was desperately hoping would arrive in time for tomorrow night finally arrived.........possibly my fave play from the first 6-9 months of Move On, which I reluctantly sold when I had my whole collection up for grabs. Can't believe I managed to get it back and can't wait to spin it out again tomorrow :thumbsup:

Today's the day :thumbsup:

This might be the last chance to post on here today, if anybody needs any info or directions etc then you can contact me on my mobile: 07851 288049. Weather is vastly improved, the snow finally melting away but drive safely everyone and look forward to seeing lots of you tonight :thumbsup:.

Adam.

So Steve will be guest DJ later in the year and we're really pleased to say that despite the short notice we've got a great DJ in to replace him. So our guest DJ for Friday is now 'Big Danny'. Really looking forward to hearing what he's got in store for us after the rave reports on his sets at some of the best venues around such as the Burnley nighter. ALso a big thanks to Danny for stepping in and being willing to bring forward his guest DJ booking from the date we originally had planned in April thumbup.gif.

8 - 8.30 Matt

8.30 - 9.00 Adam

9.00 - 9.30 Matt

9.30 - 10 Adam

10 - 11 Johnny Fingers

11 - 12 Danny

12 - 12.30 Matt

12.30- 01.00 Adam

Have a top old nite fellas.Big Danny at 11.? - get your oxygen masks at the ready!!!.thumbup.gif