Rbman

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest CapitolSC

Anyone who hasnt seen Ronnie Walker really should get along to a venue to see him.

What a voice the guy has,loved his version of the Smokey/Gil Bernel Can you love a poor boy Goosebumps material.

Big thanks to Dave,Des and Shane for a great night of Rare soul in the Capitol

Roll on 2010 for more of the same.

Al H:thumbsup:

Well done Dave, Des and Shane for a absolutely brilliant night and a great way to end the year.

Agree with all the other comments so far, Ronnie looked and sounded superb..

Music was top notch too..thanks to Dave for playing the Ster-phonics, worth the wait eh Dave? Top tunage from Des and Shane..great to hear a couple of my faves Tammy Levon - it take's two and Ty Karim - really made it good

cheers

Jon

Edited by ShorterSoul
Guest soulmanherts

Well what a great night shame it had to finish, had a smile on my face allnight... but if anyone found my two records that i left behind that be great to get them back, both copys are signed by ronnie

Guest GingerDave

Thanks to Dave,Des and Shane for agreat night got to agree with all the other comments Ronnie Walker superb:thumbsup: just like to wish everybody I've meet over the last year a happy xmas and a soulfull new year thumbup.gif

Fantastic night.....I'd heard good things about Ronnie & his voice & they're all true. We went out to dinner with Ronnie & Dave Brown on wednesday & in the car we played Ronnies Someday CD & the details of the various recording sessions he remembered as though it was yesterday. Fascinating stuff! A knowledgable, humble & all round good guythumbsup.gif

You're never too sure about some of the artists who visit these shores. Sometimes the years have taken their toll on the voice & they can't carry the song as well as they did 30/40 years ago.

As soon as I heard Ronnie start his sound check I knew we would have no worries on that score. Wearing his overcoat, hat & scarf & hands shoved deep in his pockets (it was bloody cold) the words just floated totally effortlessly out of the speakers. Of course Des & Dave had heard him before, first time for me & I couldn't believe how good he sounded yes.gif

Big rush to get equipment set up & the room sorted as the xmas lunch held beforehand was running very late but we kicked off on time....Just!

Jon & Shane got the night going for the first couple of hours with some great sounds & i took over at 9 having tried to kick Shane off 10 minutes earlylaugh.gif Sorry mate........& then it was time for Ronnie who received a great welcome from everyone there, Brilliant set included my favourite "Now I cry" as well as the recently discovered On & On which Ronnie & Des (& Dave?) have just released & is avaliable at the venues where Ronnie is appearing. "You're the one" "Thanks to you" sounded as good as on record & my mind is still a guiness soaked blur at the moment & can't remember the others apart from the sublime "Can you love a poor boy" How firkin brilliant was that ? Totally agree Al Goosebumps indeed. All to soon it was over, personally I could have listened to him all night, Superb thumbsup.gif I think everybody totally loved the performance, a lot of people said to me that they couldn't believe just how good he was, & I've had text phone calls & emails this morning just to say how much they enjoyed Ronnie.

Des & Andy Killick finshed the night off with brilliant rarities, Many thanks to Jon & Andy for great guest spots.

Also thanks to our guests & Mark (sound man/big bloke great to have on the door) for donating their services free of chargethumbsup.gif

Thanks to Des for all the hard work involved in bringing Ronnie over & I have to say I really enjoyed playing a v small part in getting Ronnie on at SHS.

Thanks everyone for your support last night & of course throughout the year, it is appreciated & I hope that you all enjoyed getting a freebiethumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Have a great Christmas, I'm sorting out dates with the venue for all of next year & the first one will be in February, hope to see you there

Dave

Edited by SHSDave

Just wanted to apologise for the non appearence last night of our other guest DJ Dean Anderson. Dean had to be in Wakefield this morning at 10.30 for the funeral of Jerry Brown. Originally Dean was going to stay overnight & leave early but the timing of the funeral prevented this & he was trying to get somebody to drive him down & return the same night but unfortunately it couldn't be sorted.

Dean had kept me informed ever since he found out the timings & i didn't announce it because we both hoped that he would be able to sort something. He was gutted to be missing Solid Hit & sends his sincere apologies to everyone.

Our condolences of course go out to Jerrys family & friends

Dave

Guest Andy Kempster

what a great night guys, have to say thanks for the invite and a thoroughly enjoyable evening, sorry had to leave early but the snow was coming down and if i hadnt made it to work this morning i may well have found myself with a lot more spare time on my hands and no money to help me use it up. if you know what i mean

its always great to kick off the festive season with a great party and this certainly hit the spot, well done to all the djs and most of all to ronnie walker...class

great to catch up with some mates not seen for a while and also to make new friends...

have a great christmas everybody, wont be able to make tots on saturday as i am on dad duty but probably be at the 100 club next tuesday so hopefully see some of you there

if not have a cool yool and i'll see you all soon...andy

good.gif

Well done to Dave, Des and Co, a really excellent night and a lovely guesture to make it free.

Got there late so missed the early sets, only caught Dave, Des and Andy Killick - excellent tunes.

Didnt really know much about Ronnie Walker before I got there, but what a voice! - took me aback a bit really how good he really was (especially having suffered through X factor with my 11 year old) but not only the voice, the tunes themselves were also stand out.

An excellent night all-round and great to catch so many friends before Christmas.

A big thumbs up and thank you from the Walthamstow contingent.

Cheers,

Dave

Excellent night Dave, many thanks for the invite and to you Des & Shane for organising everything so well.

Ronnie was a top act and a very decent, thoughtful and knowledgeable man. A joy to listen to, to meet and to talk with.

A Merry Christmas to all and see you soon.

John.

Edited by John Al

Many thanks to the Solid Hit Soul crew. Great vibe and company - and must agree that Ronnie's voice especially for 'Can You Love a Poor Boy' was tingling me too. Nice to be with the old crowd again - although I lounged away, still suffering from my work's xmas do the night before.

All the best for 2010 :lol:

m