• Replies 65
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Matt Male

I voted 'not fussed either way', i don't hate it but i don't like that bloody trumpet (if that's what it is) and the harmony is dreadful, so i never dance to it. I don't mind that it's messy (One Gold Piece is a masterpiece imo) so it's not that, it just doesn't touch me like other music.

Social source share

I voted 'not fussed either way', i don't hate it but i don't like that bloody trumpet (if that's what it is) and the harmony is dreadful, so i never dance to it. I don't mind that it's messy (One Gold Piece is a masterpiece imo) so it's not that, it just doesn't touch me like other music.

Furry muff thumbsup.gif

They are horns - with the 'thingy's' over the end - hey the finger clicken coolness more than makes up for it though.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Lady in Green is utter out of tune bobbins.

t'other is fantastic though.

It sounded bloody fantastic when it was sung live at Prestatyn with the other members of The Volumes on backing vocals. Moments like that don't come around too often these days. Awesome soul record. IMHO

Kev

Social source share

Simsy are you and Kylee not agreeing again laugh.gif

fooking awsome and some and i want a copy biggrin.gif

Marie agrees with me and in fact its probably her all time favourite good.gif

Social source share

thumbup.gifSpun it at Amlwch last saturday. thumbup.gif

post-7536-1261168888614_thumb.jpg

Well impressed with that mate. :thumbup:

Simsy are you and Kylee not agreeing again :thumbup:

:thumbup: Nah, just got in from work and was listening to it and I remembered how vehemently Karen Krane hated it and indeed actively sabotaged a request I put in with Carl Fortnum one night at the 100 Club.... Thought "I feel a Box poll coming on" :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Simsy are you and Kylee not agreeing again :thumbsup:

fooking awsome and some and i want a copy biggrin.gif

Marie agrees with me and in fact its probably her all time favourite good.gif

:thumbup::no:

I love the Magnetics Bearsy, i think he may have been bored whilst waiting for me to get home!:thumbup:

I'd love a copy too, alas i am too poor!:thumbup::lol:

Social source share

I voted 'Awesome super rare monster, love it!'

I remember hearing it at one of the first Keele University allnighters around 1989, the sound system in there was brilliant & so was most of the music...Happy days thumbsup.gif

will be on the decks at keele tonightthumbsup.gif Matt get some soullaugh.gif i paid £300 for it in 1989 it was the most expensive record on Andy Spencers selling up list and there were some gooduns on that, Dave Knight called me and said why you paid that for it its only £150 i said ok go and get me one end of conversationshades.gif

Edited by Tedsoul
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Matt get some soul:laugh:

:laugh: Sorry Ted, just doesn't do it for me. I can understand the appeal though.

It makes sense that Simsy said Karen doesn't like it either, she's another dyed in the wool R&B lover.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Love both sides, but this one just swings it for methumbup.gif

Totally agree Harry, one of my favourite all time records. The longing ache in his voice just goes right through me. Now that i would love to own. yes.gif

Social source share

Furry muff :lol:

They are horns - with the 'thingy's' over the end - hey the finger clicken coolness more than makes up for it though.. :D

Bit of research - 'mutes' give it that distinctive horn sound, the killer mid tempo beat, the finger clicking, the breaks make this record so special (for me anyway).

post-2216-12612283216609_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

cant have one without the other Mattthumbsup.gif

Damn you're right, forgot that sad.gif Ah well, HYMOS makes up the other disappointing other side biggrin.gif

Just listening to it again, God it's almost perfect biggrin.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I voted " awesome " remember getting this on tape via Rob and Chris Marriott during the Stafford era , legendary super rare side then , and still very hard to get now .The flip is brilliant and probably the even better side .Sure it's messy , but then lots of our fave records are , it's Rare Soul ain't it ? Best,Eddie

Social source share

Its one of those records that make me want to weep, its that good, there's just something that strikes a chord within me & that musical 'hook' is so emotional, it kills me every time.........remember it from Wigan & have had an intense love affair ever since, the nice thing being you very rarely hear it out, so when ya do...........wooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........

Russ

Social source share

will be on the decks at keele tonightthumbsup.gif Matt get some soullaugh.gif i paid £300 for it in 1989 it was the most expensive record on Andy Spencers selling up list and there were some gooduns on that, Dave Knight called me and said why you paid that for it its only £150 i said ok go and get me one end of conversationshades.gif

Think I've mentioned this before, but Was there the night you bought it Ted, My self, Paddy, Rich, Tony Reynolds, Adrian Peddly and some others from south b'ham......it was the gossip of the record bar, and we stayed about till the end of the Vic to hear it...

some things mould your musical tastes, that night certainly did...!!

Mal.C.

Social source share

Think I've mentioned this before, but Was there the night you bought it Ted, My self, Paddy, Rich, Tony Reynolds, Adrian Peddly and some others from south b'ham......it was the gossip of the record bar, and we stayed about till the end of the Vic to hear it...

some things mould your musical tastes, that night certainly did...!!

Mal.C.

The Old Vic what a venue think most know it as the Cavendish Suite but Old Vic rolls of the tongue better had sone fantastic nights therethumbup.gif

Social source share

The Old Vic what a venue think most know it as the Cavendish Suite but Old Vic rolls of the tongue better had sone fantastic nights therethumbup.gif

Ted I remember you djing there one night in 1987 before we knew each other and you did one of the most fantastic spots I've ever heard, I taped it actually but the tape has long disappeared. I do remember you bollocking someone for booing when you played Joanie Sommers :)

Social source share

Ted I remember you djing there one night in 1987 before we knew each other and you did one of the most fantastic spots I've ever heard, I taped it actually but the tape has long disappeared. I do remember you bollocking someone for booing when you played Joanie Sommers :laugh:

Very kind Pete I can remember that full dance floor as well no pleasing some people, wouldnt have minded but i'd just paid 25 quid for it:laugh: same thing happened at Station hotel in Dudley years later played Ace spectrum to an empty floor f*** me next month some played it to a full floor

Edited by Tedsoul
Social source share

From the first time Chris Marriott introduced me to this 30 years ago I've never liked itph34r.gif

I think Chris was one of the first ones to have it? Unless someone knows otherwise of course.

When the guys sang it at Prestatyn I took the opportunity to take a toilet breakunsure.gif

The other side is great thoughgood.gif

Social source share

Just voted 1st box, but if you would have asked when I 1st heard it 78 or 79 I world have voted in 2nd box.

It took about 20 years to grow on me, but I have always loved that intro, it was the vocal that took me years to get used to.

Dave.

Larry Allen had that 20 year effect thing with me, always loved LIG though..

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Fantastic Soul record, very very classy, if you don't get it you really are missing out.

Simon good.gif

Thats the kind of thing I normally say Simon and get lambasted for it :rolleyes::hatsoff2:

Must admit surprised at people not liking it but I am starting to realise thats the essence of Northern I suppose, people get different things from different records when judged as Northern, this one was always a bit special for me, I seem to remember this as one of the first big "collectors" records to be played, very occassionally, back in early 80's and made us look for something different. I am sure Chris Plant was guy I heard playing it but always heard talk of this family from Mansfield where one of the brothers had a copy along with , long before I knew Rob.

Will always love this, both sides, reminds me of what it was all about for me, both musically and people.

Social source share

Thats the kind of thing I normally say Simon and get lambasted for it :D:D

Must admit surprised at people not liking it but I am starting to realise thats the essence of Northern I suppose, people get different things from different records when judged as Northern, this one was always a bit special for me, I seem to remember this as one of the first big "collectors" records to be played, very occassionally, back in early 80's and made us look for something different. I am sure Chris Plant was guy I heard playing it but always heard talk of this family from Mansfield where one of the brothers had a copy along with , long before I knew Rob.

Will always love this, both sides, reminds me of what it was all about for me, both musically and people.

Morning Jocko Chris Plant you dont here that name very often any more but was a legend in the West Mids had a truly fantastic collection, Andy Spencer ended up with a lot of them, he sold up before Jim Wensiora did so the prices were even cheaper then. I remember Andy going to Plantys with £600 and comimg away with 6 of the top rarities of the day inc. Magnetics, Jimmy Burns and Jimmy Delphs. Chris told me when he was Djing down in London think it was the 100 club and a young keb Darge was up and down like a jack in the box looking to see if they were originals

Social source share

Morning Jocko Chris Plant you dont here that name very often any more but was a legend in the West Mids had a truly fantastic collection, Andy Spencer ended up with a lot of them, he sold up before Jim Wensiora did so the prices were even cheaper then. I remember Andy going to Plantys with £600 and comimg away with 6 of the top rarities of the day inc. Magnetics, Jimmy Burns and Jimmy Delphs. Chris told me when he was Djing down in London think it was the 100 club and a young keb Darge was up and down like a jack in the box looking to see if they were originals

Morning Ted and Merry Xmas

He was one of the first big influences on me, very friendly once you got over his shyness, and great taste, it was thanks to his tips I got some real biggies before they were known.

He even gave me career advice at the time as were on similar paths, very nice bloke and like so many from then doesn't get enough credit.

I have a great picture of him at Wigan with Gary Rushbrooke, similar blokes and both great influences I will post over next few days.

These were the days I spent much more time running up and down to check the decks than dance, which seems to be a crime in many peoples eyes these days :rolleyes::hatsoff2:

Social source share

Morning Ted and Merry Xmas

He was one of the first big influences on me, very friendly once you got over his shyness, and great taste, it was thanks to his tips I got some real biggies before they were known.

He even gave me career advice at the time as were on similar paths, very nice bloke and like so many from then doesn't get enough credit.

I have a great picture of him at Wigan with Gary Rushbrooke, similar blokes and both great influences I will post over next few days.

These were the days I spent much more time running up and down to check the decks than dance, which seems to be a crime in many peoples eyes these days biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Happy xmas to you as well its a bit embrassing to keep on checking whats been played i normally ask Dave Welding as he seems to be the oracle. Last time i saw chris was 2/3 years ago when we did a Cavendish Suite reunion obviously he had to borrow records but he could still put them togetherbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Happy xmas to you as well its a bit embrassing to keep on checking whats been played i normally ask Dave Welding as he seems to be the oracle. Last time i saw chris was 2/3 years ago when we did a Cavendish Suite reunion obviously he had to borrow records but he could still put them togetherbiggrin.gif

Social source share

i,d like to add that without doubt the magnetics demo "file" copy along with the original sheet music in the file was probably one of THE highlights of my record collection,but strangely never hardly played it in a dj set.except when dickie and i were dj,in at lowton a few years back when we played all the magnetics one after the other.fantastic memories.

merry xmas george

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!