Detroit Sleeves?

Kev Moore

I was looking at some of my Ric-Tic, Impact, Inferno, Wingate records today and as much as I love 'em, all shiney with that lovely sound inside them they looked incomplete. I like record sleeves for my records when I can find them but realised I'd never had or seen any sleeves for the above record labels. I kept thinking 'How good would that look in a company sleeve.

Do they exist?

Has anyone got any?

I'd love to see some if anyone can help.

Cheers

Kev

Social source share

I think the only Detroit one I have seen is Dearborn.

I have often wondered whether there would be any profit for some one like John Manship etc to design and produce "fantasy sleeves" as they call them in North America

Fantasy sleeves wouldn't work for me. The nice thing about the records is that they are genuine original presses. Original sleeves would look good though like the Motown/Gordy/Tamla/Soul ones do.

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

im the same, love to see the original company sleeve with the 45, ive in the past have brought a record just for the sleeve!! im always

getting sleeves from mates sales boxes etc.

yes would be nice if there were more detroit sleeves, have got a dearborn sleeve which looks awesome with the blue issue.

always liked the atco design looks good with a issue or demo, also the wand sleeve looks great

russ

Social source share

There is a factory sleeve for 'Sound' as in for the Capreez.

Rare.

ph34r.gif

Nothing on the Ric-Tic, Inferno, Wingate, Impact, Twirl, Thelma Dave? Would some of them have been in distributors sleeves? Golden World maybe?

Did Rajan sort out the collection of those records from 100club next Tues Dave?

Cheers Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Nothing on the Ric-Tic, Inferno, Wingate, Impact, Twirl, Thelma Dave? Would some of them have been in distributors sleeves? Golden World maybe?

Cheers Kev

Often wondered about this myself, do we have any Idea if we can narrow down to distributed in Brown Paper or White Originally.

I have bought a couple of Ric-Tics (Unplayed & in a Brown Sleeve), However could be coincidence.

Amazing that whilst in Motowns Shadow, these didn't have company sleeves in an attempt to capture attention.

I find this Stuff Fascinating, but in 2009 can we be certain either way. Information Possibly lost through the years.

Social source share

Hi Kev,

Nowp, never seen a factory sleeve for any of those labels...amazing when you consider the sizeable hits and advertising possibilities they offer.

(I can't make the 100 Club - will be at VaVaVoom with a bunch of discs to deliver for various folk...x2 for Rajan via your goodself if that is OK...and I'll have a few choice pieces for sale too :thumbsup: )

Social source share

Often wondered about this myself, do we have any Idea if we can narrow down to distributed in Brown Paper or White Originally.

I have bought a couple of Ric-Tics (Unplayed & in a Brown Sleeve), However could be coincidence.

bought many Ric-Tics in brown sleeves so could be,think all Detroit look great in brown sleeves,

well worth buying,John Manship sells them,not cheap but try finding anyone else who does.

kev

Social source share

Guest veep1296

I have often wondered whether there would be any profit for some one like John Manship etc to design and produce "fantasy sleeves" as they call them in North America

DEARBORN sleeve c/w SH on coach passing through Dearborn....sad eh?

Hi Kev..

post-5119-12612591316215_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Remember seeing ric-tics in store stock all in white sleeves. don't think i saw any in brown.

Hi Carl

Many Thanks for Information.

As I said in an earlier post the Brown Sleeves look great,

but if they were white originally then Information like this is Invaluable

& helps a collector to display their collection in the correct sleeve if they so wish.

Social source share

Hi Carl

Many Thanks for Information.

As I said in an earlier post the Brown Sleeves look great,

but if they were white originally then Information like this is Invaluable

& helps a collector to display their collection in the correct sleeve if they so wish.

A dead end there then. :angry: Thanks for the replies though.

Dave I'll be around Burnley visiting family on New Years Eve so won't be able to pick up for Rajan. Have a good one though.

Cheers

Kev

Social source share

Hi Kev,

Nowp, never seen a factory sleeve for any of those labels...amazing when you consider the sizeable hits and advertising possibilities they offer.

(I can't make the 100 Club - will be at VaVaVoom with a bunch of discs to deliver for various folk...x2 for Rajan via your goodself if that is OK...and I'll have a few choice pieces for sale too :thumbsup: )

A dead end there then. angry.gif Thanks for the replies though.

Dave I'll be around Burnley visiting family on New Years Eve so won't be able to pick up for Rajan. Have a good one though.

Cheers

Kev

Hi Kev

Such a stunningly beautiful sleeve that Dearborn Design is.

Shame that the question didn't Identify a Company Sleeve or two for these other wonderful labels.

As Dave Flynn mentions the "advertising possibilities" appear to have been overlooked at the time.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

does the motown topps card 45 sleeve count,ive got all the motown card 45s but only about five of the sleeves,!!!angry.gifunsure.gifph34r.gif ,

post-9436-12613085133722_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing that originally, 100% of the "Topps card 45" records would have been in this sleeve.

I haven't seen one other than a scan, are the sleeves Paper or Card.

The Topps 45's are extremely rare, I realise that, However;

Just wondering why the sleeves haven't survived in similar quantity.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I have this sleeve which is an from an original Ric-Tic.

It has the really cool Golden World stamp on it and you can see it is in a white sleeve thumbup.gif

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-1261313489218_thumb.jpg

Hi Richard,

Definitely white sleeves for Golden World & Ric-Tic then, many thanks for this.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

i probably have a german sleeve somewhere. just never made the connection.

Apart from proper picture sleeve there were two different company sleeves used for german Tamla-Motown 45s. The first one was on orange CBS and is the design used for the b/w copy. Attached scan of the later sleeve they used once they did set up the german Tamla-Motown label (65-ish?).

The orange CBS sleeve you don't see that often, the brown Tamla-Motown is rather common.

post-1670-12614743854536_thumb.jpg

Social source share

And here's a scan of the orange CBS company sleeve used for german Tamla-Motown issues if they weren't issued with proper picture sleeves or for later press runs.

The scan shows the rarest and most expensive german Tamla-Motown 45, Temps "my girl" sung in german. Wish I had a copy frusty2.gif

post-1670-12614747513476_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Apart from proper picture sleeve there were two different company sleeves used for german Tamla-Motown 45s. The first one was on orange CBS and is the design used for the b/w copy. Attached scan of the later sleeve they used once they did set up the german Tamla-Motown label (65-ish?).

The orange CBS sleeve you don't see that often, the brown Tamla-Motown is rather common.

And here's a scan of the orange CBS company sleeve used for german Tamla-Motown issues if they weren't issued with proper picture sleeves or for later press runs.

The scan shows the rarest and most expensive german Tamla-Motown 45, Temps "my girl" sung in german. Wish I had a copy frusty2.gif

Wow, They're Nice Benji.

Many Thanks For Posting Them.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

OK I know that this isn't a Detroit Sleeve, However;

Are any other Labels known to favour a particular sleeve (Brown or White) Originally.

Money_Brown_Sleeve.gif

This one sits in my collection at the side of the copy I play.

I'm not sure if this was sealed at Factory from New.

If so it would suggest Brown Sleeves for Money Record Label.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I have this sleeve which is an from an original Ric-Tic.

It has the really cool Golden World stamp on it and you can see it is in a white sleeve thumbup.gif

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard, I'm quite certain I've a similar stamped sleeve within my own collection, along with a personal greeting slip of similar design, although I was of the opinion that the relevance of such was purely on personal lines rather than commercially aimed.....I may however stand corrected? Best wilxy

Social source share

Hi Richard, I'm quite certain I've a similar stamped sleeve within my own collection, along with a personal greeting slip of similar design, although I was of the opinion that the relevance of such was purely on personal lines rather than commercially aimed.....I may however stand corrected? Best wilxy

Nice one Wilxy - would be good to see one of those greetings slips.

Think you are right about the personal nature of the sleeve stamps - like a 'with compliments' slip I suppose for discs sent out on a personal basis. Mine is on an issue copy as you can see from the pic, which also therefore suggests not for a DJ - at least in this case. I agreee it wouldn't make much sense stamping in this way for commercial reasons. Plus, if the use of these stamps had been commercial and widespread there should be loads of stamped sleeves around (given how many near mint, cut-out copies there are of some of the Ric-Tic stuff).

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

You blaggard you!

Where's Toby with the Ric-Tic sleeve he promised me?

Kev

Later on during the week Kev,when i can dig it out for ya...promise

Toby

Social source share

• 2 years later...

ame='SoulKev' date='19 December 2009 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1261244804' post='1219519'

Thanks for Info, Ric-Tic etc, I agree about Brown Sleeves looking great.

Only trouble is they scratch the records when you pull them in and out, unless you are really careful!

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Cheating this one really but you could also have your Detroit Volumes releases on American Arts in those lovely red and white company sleeves like me whistling.gif

Cheers

Richard

Cheating, in that American Arts was a Pittsburgh (rather than Detroit) label?

Harry Balk had some business relations with the owner. But, the company's operations were in Pittsburgh and many of their artists were located and produced away from Detroit. We can get Big Top covers as well. Balk leased a lot of his productions to that company. But it was also a non-Detroit company (operating out of New York).

Social source share

Someone designs reggae sleeves, have seen them on ebay, basically just white sleeves with the label logo at the top

Social source share

Cheating, in that American Arts was a Pittsburgh (rather than Detroit) label?

Harry Balk had some business relations with the owner. But, the company's operations were in Pittsburgh and many of their artists were located and produced away from Detroit. We can get Big Top covers as well. Balk leased a lot of his productions to that company. But it was also a non-Detroit company (operating out of New York).

That's right Robb - Pittsburgh label. But I think it's fairly widely assumed that the Volumes' tracks are Detroit. Duke Browner is also credited on those tracks. Or are you saying they were not Detroit?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!