Washington Sunday Soul, Sheffield

Hi All, here we go with Sunday Soul Session 3 at the Washington (Fitzwilliam Street, Sheffield City Centre), the first of 2010, and it promises to be another belter. thumbup.gif We had a terrific turnout for the first two, and this has the added bonus of being on or near both my and Gary's birthdays (mine's the big 60 beer.gif on the 7th).biggrin.gif

Guests on the day will be Joe Lakin and Bri Pinch, with a spot also from Darren (the Governor), the guy who was instrumental in getting the pub to open for us on a Sunday afternoon in the first place.good.gif

It costs nowt, so come on down. It's on Sunday, 3rd January, from 3pm to 8pm, and the music policy is pretty much unrestricted, so long as it's Soul, though quality is the watchword and handbags are definitely banned!!nono.gif

John

Edited by John Moffatt
  • Replies 54
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Brett F

It's on Sunday, 3rd January, from 3pm to 8pm, and the music policy is pretty much unrestricted, so long as it's Soul, though quality is the watchword and handbags are definitely banned!!nono.gif

John

All i hope for John is that it's original vinyl only, otherwise it would be too easy for any Tom, Dick or Harry to walk in with a suitcase of boots and re-issues wouldn't it. i know Brian is 100% Original Vinyl.and thats why i'll support a kindred soul vinyl collectorthumbsup.gif

Brett

All i hope for John is that it's original vinyl only, otherwise it would be too easy for any Tom, Dick or Harry to walk in with a suitcase of boots and re-issues wouldn't it. i know Brian is 100% Original Vinyl.and thats why i'll support a kindred soul vinyl collectorthumbsup.gif

Brett

Definitely, Brett. I'm with you all the way on this one. Authenticity is what we're after. It's the same policy we operate at Darnall Hort'i Club.

John

Guest Brett F

Definitely, Brett. I'm with you all the way on this one. Authenticity is what we're after. It's the same policy we operate at Darnall Hort'i Club.

John

Good to see John, yeah i remember that night with Dave Raistrick guesting, quality soul all the way.....

Guest Brett F

John

Think at the moment its the only venue in Sheffield that operates the OVO policy isn't it ?

John

John did'nt realise you were into all that vinyl snobbery !

It all sounds the same from the speakers and imo !

I've heard dj's that play crap spots just cus they want to show off there £300+ or more record and dos'nt care when the dance floor is empty !

And on the other side of that I've seen dj's pack a dance floor for a solid hour playing boots !

I know which most people prefer and don't give a shit wether it real or a boot !

Anybody who gets up there and plays blinder spot should be congratulated for it and not because he can afford a box full of originals !

Just my opinion John as I'm not into this vinyl snobbery shit !

Guest Brett F

I've heard dj's that play crap spots just cus they want to show off there £300+ or more record and dos'nt care when the dance floor is empty !

And on the other side of that I've seen dj's pack a dance floor for a solid hour playing boots !

I know which most people prefer and don't give a shit wether it real or a boot !

Anybody who gets up there and plays blinder spot should be congratulated for it and not because he can afford a box full of originals !

Hello Ray i respect your opinion, guess we just come from different ends of the scene, i was always told the rare soul scene was about the playing of original records, people like Steve Mannion, Sean Hampsey, Andy 'tats' Taylor, Mark Etheridge etc always drummed that it into me, i'm a working class lad, who gets his hands dirty for a living and decided to follow that route at aged 16 i'm now 45, and i have been fortunate to play at venues such as the original Lifeline weekender, Soul Essence Yarmouth, New Century Soul Manchester, The Greatstone Soul Club, etc etc, with great collectors of the original vinyl ethic like Steve G, , Andy Dyson, Soul Sam, Dave Rippolles, Pat Brady, Mark Bicknell, John Parker, Stevie Z, Bob Smith, Andy Lett and others, i suppose i have it all wrong..........

Think at the moment its the only venue in Sheffield that operates the OVO policy isn't it ?

So far as I'm aware Brett, though I know a few DJs who have a personal thing about it. I don't rule out boots and such completely, many venues see no problem and I won't get into the politics of it. I've played some myself where the policy allows, or even depends on it, but for the most part I'll always try to get the real thing, and, as I've said, it is policy at the Wash' and Hort'i to play originals only.

Guest Brett F

So far as I'm aware Brett, though I know a few DJs who have a personal thing about it. I don't rule out boots and such completely, many venues see no problem and I won't get into the politics of it. I've played some myself where the policy allows, or even depends on it, but for the most part I'll always try to get the real thing, and, as I've said, it is policy at the Wash' and Hort'i to play originals only.

John, hello and yes that should be your mantra, lIke i said, other than that i could get any Tom, Dick or Harry to come in with a bundle of illegal records and claim they are real, but the truth is boots actually to the ear are not as sonically clear and superb as an original.and that is a fact, besides the moral ethic about playing original vinyl, it's the very essence of making this scene above any other musical genre...ORIGINAL RECORDS IT'S THE LIFEBLOOD OF RARE SOUL, NO FAUX CIRCUS ACT SOUL FOR ME........

Hi Ray, it's not snobbery, but so many venues these days play exactly the same stuff because exactly the same range of bootlegs is owned by so many DJs. I think it is killing the Soul Scene. By restricting to original vinyl only it should open up the range of tunes played. It's easy to play Kev Roberts' top 50 on Goldmine, but not so easy if you have to find affordable, and just as good, alternatives. I've personally got bored hearing the same old records played everywhere, and this is one way of getting away from that. And, there are a lot of DJs who have tremendous collections based on not owning bootlegs, so why not give it a go? Come on down anyway, it's healthy to have some discussion.

John

Hi Ray, it's not snobbery, but so many venues these days play exactly the same stuff because exactly the same range of bootlegs is owned by so many DJs. I think it is killing the Soul Scene. By restricting to original vinyl only it should open up the range of tunes played. It's easy to play Kev Roberts' top 50 on Goldmine, but not so easy if you have to find affordable, and just as good, alternatives. I've personally got bored hearing the same old records played everywhere, and this is one way of getting away from that. And, there are a lot of DJs who have tremendous collections based on not owning bootlegs, so why not give it a go? Come on down anyway, it's healthy to have some discussion.

John

Hiya John

As I said from the start it is just my opinion !

Its the people who come up and look over decks to see if its a boot your playing and then look at you and smerk ! Thats the snobbery bit I don't like !

Any way that aside every time I see Gary I keep saying I'm going to come to the Horti, so will defo come in the new year, I'm away when the Washington is on so maybe will make the next one. Will I know many of the guy's that go !

Ray

Edited by Ray Copley
Guest Brett F

Hiya John

Its the people who come up and look over decks to see if its a boot your playing and then look at you and smerk ! Thats the snobbery bit I don't like !

Any way that aside every time I see Gary I keep saying I'm going to come to the Horti, so will defo come in the new year, I'm away when the Washington is on so maybe will make the next one. Will I know many of the guy's that go !

Ray

Hi Ray but why play a boot though, there are thousands upon thousands of brilliant soul records that are cheap and as good as any big ticket item, don't you agree..............

Hiya John

Ray

Eyup Ray

There's no problem with a point of view. I don't do politics, so I have nothing to prove and no beef with anyone who disagrees with me, or vice-versa. I do know what you mean about the smirks. It's not necessary, and it's not what the Soul Scene is all about.

I'm not sure who you'd know at the Hort'i. We don't get many of the Sheffield regulars, partly because we play too much stuff that they don't know (a symptom of the narrowing of playlists that seems to be happening nowadays) and partly because it's on a Friday, which isn't too popular. We're looking to get a Saturday, but there aren't many suitable places that haven't already been gobbled up. The crowd we do get are really friendly though, so I wouldn't concern yourself with that. You'd know quite a few at the Washington. Sunday afternoon is popular with quite a few that go to the KGB and Victory Club. It'd be great to see you whenever you can make it. Keep an eye on SS.

Sithee, John

Edited by John Moffatt

Hi Ray but why play a boot though, there are thousands upon thousands of brilliant soul records that are cheap and as good as any big ticket item, don't you agree..............

I think the venue and the crowd determin the music that should be played ie: if you have a crowd that are there to dance or a crowd thats there to listen !

And thats why you get differant types of venues ie: Horti or KGB !

But yes I would love to own a box full of Originals !

Personally I love my 70's stuff of which I do own all originals !

Brett you mentioned Steve Manion you could ask Steve we share a simular taste in records !

Guest Brett F

I think the venue and the crowd determin the music that should be played ie: if you have a crowd that are there to dance or a crowd thats there to listen !

Brett you mentioned Steve Manion you could ask Steve we share a simular taste in records !

Hi Ray, yeah Steve is a good friend of mine, but it is easy to own a box of original records ( they dont have to be expensive, big ticket items etc), that's really what i am on about, as i stated earlier in my post, i have always been brought up that original is the only true way (and yes i hold that ethic dear) i just don't buy the thing about filling a dancefloor irregardless of what you play (ie. boots etc), this has to be wrong and an affront to all the great dj's and collectors over the last 40 years, surely we all have to be true to ourselfs, yes i do collect records and yes i have played a few out, but i am very aware of the 'Ethic' that it has to be real (original), i could not play a bootleg at a venue, i feel this is crass and being untrue to the very essence of the rare soul scene...if that is the case why not fill an Ipod up with tunes and play that via any stereo system.....i'm sorry Ray, i don't know you but i truly believe i am right.

yours Brett Franklin

Edited by Brett F

brett, your ethics are one of the major reasons why you are known up and down the country. i have travelled wide and far with you and we can walk into clubs in london and manchester and they know you as brett franklin - soul collector and dj. people with like ray do not get the same respect outside the sheffield postcode.

sheffield is sadly full of people with very poor morals with regards to this scene. this is why i won't be travelling the 1 mile to Samanthas this evening.

to be honest, i have very little interest these days.

hope you are well mate

shane

Brett, Shane, Ray & John,

Know you all & appreciate the fact that you've kept it civil so far.

Interesting topic thats been covered loads of times on here in the past & one we all have strong & differing viewpoints on (mines original format & as a Modern fan that includes CD's).

Main thing is though this is the events forum so can we keep it on topic & discuss it on the day over a few cold un's. Will be back up in S Yorks that weekend so look forwards to a nice healthy debate with you all.

Might even get round to discussing the local footy while we're at it:boxing::laugh:

See you on't 3rd lads.

Guest Brett F

Interesting topic thats been covered loads of times on here in the past & one we all have strong & differing viewpoints on (mines original format & as a Modern fan that includes CD's).

Main thing is though this is the events forum so can we keep it on topic & discuss it on the day over a few cold un's. Will be back up in S Yorks that weekend so look forwards to a nice healthy debate with you all.

Might even get round to discussing the local footy while we're at it:boxing::laugh:

See you on't 3rd lads.

Hello Martin, of course it is civil, i am just championing the playing of original soul records............what's wrong with that.......where are the bootleggers who willingly play fraud and illegal records on this thread, i have nothing to hide, anyone can come see my record collection including the fraud office, hell my wife works for them......

Guest Barry Holland

Might even get round to discussing the local footy while we're at itboxing.giflaugh.gif

See you on't 3rd lads.

I would just like to say that Ray Copley has a fantastic collection of original records, it is just HIS opinion about when he goes to do's he's not bothered what format is being played. You are right Martin it is an events forum. I was delighted to play at the first Washington, and attended the second, and enjoyed both, and at the Horti', but it is not everybody's cup of tea, and unfortunately you can't force people to go anywhere. Will try and attend this one but allready have a full calendar. We allways have chats on the phone John anyway (you know what i'm like). If i do make it, then please, please, please can we not talk about football Martin (lol). BARRY. KGB. KTF.

Edited by Barry Holland

brett, your ethics are one of the major reasons why you are known up and down the country. i have travelled wide and far with you and we can walk into clubs in london and manchester and they know you as brett franklin - soul collector and dj. people with like ray do not get the same respect outside the sheffield postcode.

sheffield is sadly full of people with very poor morals with regards to this scene. this is why i won't be travelling the 1 mile to Samanthas this evening.

to be honest, i have very little interest these days.

hope you are well mate

shane

Same here Shane , but for the likes of Brett + co the whole soul scene would have died years ago .

This event sounds very intresting and if I am not still suffering from NYE they I will pop over.

RIGHT THAT OUT THE WAY LETS TALK FOOTBALL YOU LOT :thumbsup:

no original vinyl from me.....................................................................i`ll be there meeself but brother will be playing the tunes lol

dave

Don't feel put out Dave, it's just that we can only cope with just so much raw talent at any one time!thumbup.gif

(Bri asked me to say that - no he didn't, I'm lying.)

See you on the 3rd.good.gif

John

Guest dazzzzler

iv got "ben" original on vinyl can i get inthumbup.gif .

Don't feel put out Dave, it's just that we can only cope with just so much raw talent at any one time!thumbup.gif

(Bri asked me to say that - no he didn't, I'm lying.)

See you on the 3rd.good.gif

John

ive been informed theres not enuff room for my 17 stone frame behind the decks. as long as you sit me down with a glass of pop and a bag of spice al be or8

iv got "ben" original on vinyl can i get inthumbup.gif .

yes coz its got you can cry on my shoulder on t`other side

dave

sat darn at washington

ive been informed theres not enuff room for my 17 stone frame behind the decks. as long as you sit me down with a glass of pop and a bag of spice al be or8

yes coz its got you can cry on my shoulder on t`other side

dave

sat darn at washington

It is a bit tight at t'back o'them decks, true! Bag o' spice 'n a glass o' pop? Soorted pal! If it's a bit packed, tha can allus sit on Joe's knee!

John

snapback.pngJohn Moffatt, on 22 December 2009 - 04:13 PM, said:

It is a bit tight at t'back o'them decks, true! Bag o' spice 'n a glass o' pop? Soorted pal! If it's a bit packed, tha can allus sit on Joe's knee!

John

A MIGHT SQUASH IM. AT LEAST IT`LL KEEP IM QUIET

DAVE

A few glasses of pop! You might get in but you'll never get out! :thumbup:

(I certainly struggled with my 8 stone)

See you Sunday - expecting some great sounds from the DJs

Andy and Sheila

Guest dazzzzler

Hi Joe, and anyone who's interested, it looks like the Swim Inn on Glossop Road (same as last time) about 2.00 pm, for a quick pre-lube! :beer::beer:

See you all then

John

is there a gud dance floor in washington:mellow:

BETTER MAKE IT A GOOD ONE YOU LITTLE FAT ROUND F-CKER.I WILL SEE YOU AND DONCASTER'S TOP DRINKER LIGHT'S OUT LAKIN ON SUNDAY.

LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU BOTH. LOVE TOM

Dunt split ranks tom just make sure the little bloke wit big gob from donni gets it he phoned me up and said he's not freetend on thi anymore dont shoot the messenger just passing it on mate honestwhistling yocky