Jack Ashford - I'll Fly To Your Open Arms

Jack Ashford's "Hotel Sheet" album recently crept into an S.S. thread so I thought I'd go back to it and have another listen. I wanted to hear "This Ain't Just Another Dance Song" again 'cos it's got the same backing track as "Paybacks's A Drag" by the Smith Brothers. Sadly it still doesn't quite cut it - unfortunately it still sounds a bit too contrived........

But there's another track on the album called "I'll Fly To Your Open Arms" which is nothing short of brilliant. Wow. What a record!!! Pure Detroit

brilliance and Jack's in fantastic vocal form. One of the best records I've heard this year. Anyone else heard this?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"I'll Fly" is quite well known amongst us little LP collectors Ian, great track, always the killer cut from the LP for me.

Roger

Wow, LOL. You're the last person I expected to leap in here Rog!

I bought the album from Spin-Inn when it came out but can't remember listening to this track especially. Until now. Sounds absolutely breath-taking hearing it with fresh ears.

Phew, I didn't imagine it then......it really is that good LOL....laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Hi Ian

Yes it's a great track. Have played it out quite a few times over the years in Manchester. Think either Alan Darker or Dave Hulston also used to play it out in Manchester too.

Cheers

Phil

Yep, there's a few tracks like this that weren't quite right at the time but sound oh so good now. I always quite liked Ronnie McNeir's "Now She's Gone" off his Prodigal album but it was a step too far at the time. Come to think of it, I haven't dug that out for a while either LOL.....

I think there's gold in some of those albums. It's difficult to believe that I've had the bloody album for 35 years and only just latched on to this track. Love it and what a vocal performance from Jack! Everything I wanna hear on a record!

biggrin.gif

Social source share

Jack Ashford's "Hotel Sheet" album recently crept into an S.S. thread so I thought I'd go back to it and have another listen. I wanted to hear "This Ain't Just Another Dance Song" again 'cos it's got the same backing track as "Paybacks's A Drag" by the Smith Brothers. Sadly it still doesn't quite cut it - unfortunately it still sounds a bit too contrived........

But there's another track on the album called "I'll Fly To Your Open Arms" which is nothing short of brilliant. Wow. What a record!!! Pure Detroit

brilliance and Jack's in fantastic vocal form. One of the best records I've heard this year. Anyone else heard this?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Played it out before.

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

Played it out before.

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

Too much hassle to drag my copy out at the mo but isn't there also a track using the same backing as "There can be a better way" by the Smith Brothers ?

Social source share

[

I've not seen t'other thread, what label and year is it.

Its 1977 on Magic Disc LP Hotel Sheet - title track also released on a twelve .

Ive spun ' Ill Fly To My Open Arms ' on and off for ten tears to NO dancefloor reaction. Only ever heard one othe rdj play it in last three years Gouch @ Wilton all nighter. It' s one sleeping giant for those with taste .

Prices fluctuate madly from £30 up to £175 ( yes honestly ) !! Ive only ever had two copies of the LP in last 20 years , but have had , and sold copies of the 12" title track at least ten times.

Social source share

[

Its 1977 on Magic Disc LP Hotel Sheet - title track also released on a twelve .

Ive spun ' Ill Fly To My Open Arms ' on and off for ten tears to NO dancefloor reaction. Only ever heard one othe rdj play it in last three years Gouch @ Wilton all nighter. It' s one sleeping giant for those with taste .

Prices fluctuate madly from £30 up to £175 ( yes honestly ) !! Ive only ever had two copies of the LP in last 20 years , but have had , and sold copies of the 12" title track at least ten times.

Hi Glyn

We played this quite a few times at The Orwell (usually early doors to empty dance floors too ohmy.gif )

I first heard it at Thorne by Andy Whitmore if I remember?

Always been one of those 'one day this will be massive' tunes.....so maybe this time eh?

I've sold 5 or 6 copies in the last few years but not had one for a year or so now!

Hope you're well mate

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!