Updated Values On Records

dthedrug

• boxing.gif
  • Hi class Can you help: - over the last few years, yours truly does not get about much, and it has been 3 to 4 years since I would meet collectors every Saturday morning at John & Malc,s shop. The issue of concern is how much is a record worth?
    And before we start I am not looking at issues like what you are prepared to pay or whats in or out of favour that dictates the value? I no and very aware of all that, what I want to know is you are aware that certain records will always be rare because you no the history and so on, eg: UK rarities what is there true value especially the classics? I have been corrected 2 times by respected collectors about over pricing, I am not a dealer it is based on knowledge and experience of collecting, also it,s hard to convert the price of records that you have had for many years or at the time you got from Junking or car-booting in the early to mid 8ts for example in Wolves in 81 I found about 500 classic Rock steady & early Reggae I paid £7.50 for the lot many original Red & silver Coxones Blue Coxsone UK Studio One, I think most of us had many a good find in the 7ts & 8ts junking but how do you get to value them as a true estimate the value in the new decade that's only 2 weeks away, below are 4 records that have been on the shelves for a number of years please give me a indication of value and I can see if my value is near to the one you give this is very random: -

1. The Newcomers - "the whole world is a picture show" Truth 4315 ..I paid £1 2010 value?
  2. The Young Disciples - "BANG BANG BANG" GATEWAY (no cat ') Junk Shop find.
  3. Betty & Angel - "Honey Coated Loving" EVERY DAY records VU 1000B got from Frankie Baggot Willenhall £0 swapped a knackered copy of Hose for Sale MJ OK Spring.
  4. Gloria Henry - "Will you show me" OSSI SS1106-2 come from London dealer with 50 singles that included an orig Candi Staton "the Upper Hand" UNITY sold it to Mick S this was the only time I had seen this classic V Rare..great backing tune she sounds like the producer owed her big time as she cant sing?
  5. Dee Dee Butler - "SWEET BABY" SMC #110....This is a rare label with some really great tunes on it this record is Funky but it,s the label that's why I have kept it? Car boot find.
  6. Frankie Gearing - "Child Please" BOUND SOUND records RF-1004-B.....From BUTCH.
  7. Freeway "Jump up and turn Around" PALADIN PAL 1 (UK 45- written by Andy Fairweather Low 1975..sounds not to bad if you are into modern/crossover 7ts uptempo dancers) I have a load of is it or ain't it records I cant leave them once I find one that is unknown??
WELL IT IS DOWN TO ANYONE WHO KNOWS THERE RECORDS SOME OF THEM ARE WORTHY OF PLAYING OUT AND YOU WILL KNOW WHICH ONES?

shhh.gifph34r.gifTHIS WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL AS IT WOULD BE A START.. ph34r.gif DAVE KIL.

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Young Disciples £20-£30 and Betty & Angel £10-£20. Neither are hard to find and neither particularly in demand. Have never liked the Betty & Angel personally but Young Disciples is a great funk/soul dancer :thumbup:

Social source share

Young Disciples £20-£30 and Betty & Angel £10-£20. Neither are hard to find and neither particularly in demand. Have never liked the Betty & Angel personally but Young Disciples is a great funk/soul dancer thumbsup.gif

boxing.gif Nice one this is a good start and what I expected, as a Record collector of Black Music I cant leave records behind especially if they are unknown to myself, as that is what the collecting side of the soul scene is all about, it always p**ses me of when I meet someone with the current sounds and that's all they have! a good example is STANKEY COBLESTONE real value? $20 Tops yet I have seen it sell for $150+ and the Vonetts sell at an average price of $100+ this is where I get confused on today's pricing surely it is common knowledge that the Stanky record flooded the importers markets in the 7ts and it appeared often in soul packs as did Sandra Philips You succeeded?? this was my valuation on the records as follows: -

1. P**S I FORGOT WHAT ORDER I PUT THEM IN HANG ON I WILL BE BACKph34r.gif DAVE KIL
Social source share

boxing.gifph34r.gif

MY VALUATION ON THE 7 RANDOM TUNES ARE AS FOLLOWS: -

1. £25 a great tune not released in the UK? as good as the Jacksons,
  2. £30+ good solid fast FUNK with good glitz.
  3. £40+ again a good funk tune and quite rare quality appeal.
  4. £15 this one sounds brilliant if you are speeding???? worth a punt??
  5. £20 just for the label and then some as it is a strong Lew Kirkland tune £30?
  6. £25 a Modernsoul Sound of merrit.
  7. £00 as a uknowon uknplayed tune thevalue is still to be determined, but as it is £20 for UK lable collectors? record simular to ACE record on "LOCK STOCK" UK Funk Rock,,,It,s a good one.
I will list a few more easy ones net time as although 150 views only 2 replies, this tells me a lot? THANKS FOR INPUT GUYS if any one disagrees with my priceing/valuation please state why?ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

boxing.gifph34r.gif

Betty & Angel....£40+ again a good funk tune and quite rare quality appeal.

£40+ no chance :thumbsup:. I've had multiple copies of this 45 for years and have listed on ebay, set sale here and on my site and have never got a price that high for one.

Dee Dee Butler....£20 just for the label and then some as it is a strong Lew Kirkland tune £30?

£10 on a good day, nice enough record but zero demand. Again have/had (not sure if I've got any left) multiples and would count myself lucky to get a tenner for it. Nowhere near as good as Buffalo Soldier on the same label and thats only £20-£30.

Social source share

boxing.gif Nice one and as I thought it realy is a matter of taste also demand, The good thing is at least you have acknowleded their worth the GMC 45 is off course the a 45 with no demand apart from the lable but it is differant, however it shows how how much we are in tune as I deliberatly did not put a big money record in there they are run of the mill finds that when you here them you can then decide if they belong n the collection,....A few months back at wolves Record Fair Mick Smith pulled a record from his US Box and reminded me that back in the 7ts this record for him always associted me with Eddie Miller - Skate & Shuffle-Loo VERVE VK-10494 a great Uptempo Dancer, I gave him £10 for it as way back then any thing on Verve or MGM I bought this was pretty hard to locate, however the other side Sophisticated Walk is so under estimated as I do believe know one has bothered to flip it £10 a Bargin I would sell it for more A Strong Recomendation as a must have 45 in your collection? thanks to all replysboxing.gif DAVE KIL
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!