Talk Of The South Xmas Do

Guest Mrs Simsy

Guest Mrs Simsy

What a great night!:ohmy:

Arrived about 10pm and slipped & skidded to the venue. 2 spacious rooms with plenty of space to dance, top DJ line up, great atmosphere and a lot of friendly faces! What more can a girl ask for?:D

Enjoyed the music in both rooms all night, i wasn't in the r'n'b room much but the fact that it was rammed speaks volumes!:yes: Dancing wise i think Mick Smith was my favourite though Pete Hullat, Mick H, Nige Brown & of course Sean Chapman were all fab. Sorry that we missed your spot Chrissie.

Think that everyone was in the festive sprit last night & there were lots of smiling faces!:thumbup:

Big thanks to the chaps & chicks who put the hard work in to make last night brilliant!

Thought the tribute to Pete Robinson at the end was very fitting & i'm sure he was looking down & laughing!:D

Some pics in the gallery, i was going to name them all but quite frankly couldn't be bothered!:lol: Sure you'll know the faces!

See you in June!:(

• Replies 53
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

What a great night!:ohmy:

Arrived about 10pm and slipped & skidded to the venue. 2 spacious rooms with plenty of space to dance, top DJ line up, great atmosphere and a lot of friendly faces! What more can a girl ask for?:D

Enjoyed the music in both rooms all night, i wasn't in the r'n'b room much but the fact that it was rammed speaks volumes!:D Dancing wise i think Mick Smith was my favourite though Pete Hullat, Mick H, Nige Brown & of course Sean Chapman were all fab. Sorry that we missed your spot Chrissie.

Think that everyone was in the festive sprit last night & there were lots of smiling faces!:thumbup:

Big thanks to the chaps & chicks who put the hard work in to make last night brilliant!

Thought the tribute to Pete Robinson at the end was very fitting & i'm sure he was looking down & laughing!:D

Some pics in the gallery, i was going to name them all but quite frankly couldn't be bothered!:yes: Sure you'll know the faces!

See you in June!:(

My first time at the new TOTS venue, and what a perfect place for a Christmas party!. As Rugbysoulgirl said, lots of happy faces up for a good time and even the Narnia like conditions (snowflakes the size of wagon wheels!) helped everyone get in the festive mood.

I spent most of the night in the R&B room and the sounds were top notch but over all, 10/10 for a great night out.

My sis asked be to say she had the best night out for ages too! So thanks to those that made it happen. :lol:

Oh and a word about the doormen. Very friendly as was the bar owner. :D

Edited by Maark

Excellent night, great use of the second room too. We had to leave at 12 'cause of the snow, and the stabbing pain of me strained intercostal muscles!! Apart from that, the Mick H was barnstorming and heard some interesting trips through the outlying suburbs of soulville in the R&B room. Well done to the TOTS team.

Martin

Im glad it went well for you guys Sean & Peter,with that line up of proper DJs Mick Smith,Mick H,Pete Hullat & Nige Brown i bet it was great

Gutted i missed it but you know why i wasnt there

Toby

Guest outonthefloor

What a great nite. TOTS epitomises all the reasons why I love this scene. Sean and Pete fantastic promoters with integrity and enthusiasm, the beautiful Lynn, Cressie and all the door staff who make you feel so welcome from the moment you arrive, the top tunes and variety of sounds that keep you on the floor all nite plus wonderful like minded friends all around you. Who could ask for more?

Probably spent my time equally in the two rooms but really enjoyed the RnB room can't really single out a DJ as they were all exceptional but RnB Martin and Warren were outstanding in the smaller room and Chris's Ska set was a refreshing interlude that got everyone smiling and of course, dancing.

Really liked the first tune Warren played when he followed Chris, he did tell me what it was but needless to say I have forgotten now.

Fantastic to see everyone, Rob n Debs, Terry, Tabs n Graham, Lorraine and Graham, Kylee, Ian and smudge, Pete n Liz, Nicky (see I remembered!) Warren n Karen, RnB Martin, Karen Bedford, Michelle, Chrissie, Sue n Dave and Phil n Kev who were great company as usual..(sorry if I forgot anyone xx) Toby, you were missed xxx Last but not least a Massive 'Thank you' to Sean Chapman a true gentleman and a thoroughly nice bloke not to mention a top tune spinner too xx

All the snow, ice and detours were well worth it and I couldn't think of a better place to celebrate the festive season.

Loved the new venue and nice to have a second room that wasn't an empty modern room lol. As someone else said the bar staff n doormen were really nice too which does make a difference. Loved the old Rugby Club, loved this place even more (Parking would be nice though as, like kylee, we skated a la Todd Carty down the hill to the venue!)

Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year to all my friends see you for more fun and games in 2010 xxx

Helen xxx

first trip to TOTS for me and nicci and must say very glad we took the risk driving from a sunny bristol to the snow covered east.....

loved the venue ...inbetween both rooms all night great vibe and a friendly bunch.....

top notch tunes....twinkle little star...soul dance no3....if you wanna hold on....black wings has my angel etc etc....and NO tunes that made you say not this again !

as we'd done go go children the night before couldnt keep the pace and sadly left bout 145 so missed seans last set and the pete tribute but had seen the fez behind the dex so thought they would mention the big man

so big thanx and hope to see you again...maybe in the summer when im not go going the night before !

dean

What a great night at TOTS! :yes: Thanks so much to Sean for saving our tickets. There was more room this time in the main room, slightly less tables and more room to dance. All the dj's did a great job and spun some awesome dancers. Pete Hullat was man of the match for my money, just one after the other - outstanding Pete! :thumbsup: R&B room was an excellent addition. I caught some of Martin R&B's spot which was great and the Tebbutt boys were on top form also. Great to see a wealth of hearty happy souls & big thanks to Luppers for sorting our NYE tickets.:D

TOTS June 2010 is a MUST for the soul calendar! :)

Guest matt tees

Would like to thank everyone who braved the cold and snow on Sat night to attend our TOTS Christmas Special at the Royal Hotel Luton. I appreciate it was a difficult decision to make with some of London and southern England already under several inches under the snow and more expected during the evening so to get 215 in the House was unbelievable, so thanks again you brave soul's. It just goes to show the resilience of the soul scene. The atmosphere in both rooms was fantastic and the response to the second room which served up a plethora of Ska, RnB and Mod Classics was really encouraging, with a great sound system so well done to all DJs Kriss "SKA" Tebbutt, plus Top Guests Martin RnBman and Warren Boogaloo thank you so much guys and not forgetting the Old Man, Pete Tebbutt truly one of the scenes' most underrated DJs who plays his own unique and entertaining style. The Northern Room boasted an absolute TOP DJ Line Rosta unrivalled at any soul night in the UK with Guests Mick Smith, (Finally getting him to DJ at TOTS after nearly nine years of trying) plus back by popular demand Mick H, Nige Brown and Pete Hulatt some of the UK's Top spinners all in one room plus kicking the night off Chrissie from Bedford who did a cracking set. As expected with the quality of DJs on duty we were treated to some of the rarest 45s on the planet. Rare, Classics, Anthems and Monsters!! The only down side was the sound system in the northern soul room was not up to its very high standard and was too loud, so this will be addressed in future.

Thank you to our early soul spinners who played an afternoon session and some great soul was served up, I kicked off the session as Carmen and Nige Brown was stuck on the M1 (Bad Accident) for 2 hours and also Steve Clark who missed his stop at Luton and ended up at London Kings Cross. Eventually they arrived and Carmen, Steve Clarke plus Tom Howard played Top sets, Terry Dempsey finished off the afternoon session with a very varied set. So thanks you guys you were superb! Always love afternoon sessions and can be guaranteed to hear many new songs.

Thank you to all our travellers from Bristol (Thanks Dean and Nicky), great to see Flanny and Debs travel from St Helens in Merseyside, The Nuneaton "Baskett" Crew, Oxford and Banbury Boys, Herts, Beds, Kettering, St Ives, Northants, Terry Darcey + John Mcclure who had attended the Burnley All Nighter on the Friday evening, Bucks, Essex and The London crew plus anybody else I have not mentioned. Also like to thank Michelle, Lynne, Karl Vodka Tebbutt, Cressie and a young Jon Buck for helping on the door. I also would like to thank the staff of the Royal The Bar Staff and the 2 bouncers who were great!!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who has supported TOTS over the years and I would also like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and good luck in 2010, Hope to see you all soon.

Guest matt tees

first trip to TOTS for me and nicci and must say very glad we took the risk driving from a sunny bristol to the snow covered east.....

loved the venue ...inbetween both rooms all night great vibe and a friendly bunch.....

top notch tunes....twinkle little star...soul dance no3....if you wanna hold on....black wings has my angel etc etc....and NO tunes that made you say not this again !

as we'd done go go children the night before couldnt keep the pace and sadly left bout 145 so missed seans last set and the pete tribute but had seen the fez behind the dex so thought they would mention the big man

so big thanx and hope to see you again...maybe in the summer when im not go going the night before !

dean

Dean and Nicki really pleased you make a very long trip to TOTS on Sat and you had a great night. I did a couple of tributes to Pete Robinson with Fez on of course - 7th Ave Aviators which Chrissie requested and very most appropriate plus I also played Tobi "Leg End" - Time Will Pass you By at the end of my spot for our Pete Robinson, truley a most remarkable man and will we all miss him loads!!

Quality night all round.

Can't add anything that hasn't already been said.

Great to see so many friends and everyone enjoying themselves.

Arrived at 5.00 and left at 3.00 am.

10 hours and it flew by.

That sums up a class night to me.

Spent time in both rooms both of which were banging.

As Helen said the second room was definitely not empty.

And the bonus of any pint at £1.50 until 10.00 pm.

Congrats to all the organizers.

Hopefully better weather for the June event.

Best wishes to all and seasons compliments.

Hope to see you all soon.

Tabs

What a fantastic day/night I had. Congratualtions to Pete and Sean and their team.....professional and friendly and such good fun.

At £1.50 a pint and I started at 3.30pm you can just imagine my head in the morning!!!

Thanks guys for inviting me to spin a few tunes in the R&B/Ska room. The sound system was spot on and the crowd wanted to dance to everything....even my harmonica bluesy stuff.

Great to see so many friends regardless of the weather.

I will post a playlist this evening.

Merry Christmas.

Mx

Edited by Rbman
Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

Would like to thank everyone who braved the cold and snow on Sat night to attend our TOTS Christmas Special at the Royal Hotel Luton. I appreciate it was a difficult decision to make with some of London and southern England already under several inches under the snow and more expected during the evening so to get 215 in the House was unbelievable, so thanks again you brave soul's. It just goes to show the resilience of the soul scene. The atmosphere in both rooms was fantastic and the response to the second room which served up a plethora of Ska, RnB and Mod Classics was really encouraging, with a great sound system so well done to all DJs Kriss "SKA" Tebbutt, plus Top Guests Martin RnBman and Warren Boogaloo thank you so much guys and not forgetting the Old Man, Pete Tebbutt truly one of the scenes' most underrated DJs who plays his own unique and entertaining style. The Northern Room boasted an absolute TOP DJ Line Rosta unrivalled at any soul night in the UK with Guests Mick Smith, (Finally getting him to DJ at TOTS after nearly nine years of trying) plus back by popular demand Mick H, Nige Brown and Pete Hulatt some of the UK's Top spinners all in one room plus kicking the night off Chrissie from Bedford who did a cracking set. As expected with the quality of DJs on duty we were treated to some of the rarest 45s on the planet. Rare, Classics, Anthems and Monsters!! The only down side was the sound system in the northern soul room was not up to its very high standard and was too loud, so this will be addressed in future.

Thank you to our early soul spinners who played an afternoon session and some great soul was served up, I kicked off the session as Carmen and Nige Brown was stuck on the M1 (Bad Accident) for 2 hours and also Steve Clark who missed his stop at Luton and ended up at London Kings Cross. Eventually they arrived and Carmen, Steve Clarke plus Tom Howard played Top sets, Terry Dempsey finished off the afternoon session with a very varied set. So thanks you guys you were superb! Always love afternoon sessions and can be guaranteed to hear many new songs.

Thank you to all our travellers from Bristol (Thanks Dean and Nicky), great to see Flanny and Debs travel from St Helens in Merseyside, The Nuneaton "Baskett" Crew, Oxford and Banbury Boys, Herts, Beds, Kettering, St Ives, Northants, Terry Darcey + John Mcclure who had attended the Burnley All Nighter on the Friday evening, Bucks, Essex and The London crew plus anybody else I have not mentioned. Also like to thank Michelle, Lynne, Karl Vodka Tebbutt, Cressie and a young Jon Buck for helping on the door. I also would like to thank the staff of the Royal The Bar Staff and the 2 bouncers who were great!!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who has supported TOTS over the years and I would also like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and good luck in 2010, Hope to see you all soon.

I SECOND THAT EMOTION, AND WISH YOU ALL A RELAXING XMAS AND A KICK ASS NEW YEAR

THE TEBBUTTS.

Well done Sean, another fantastic night at the Talk of the South Christmas Special at The Royal Hotel. Arrived there with Tabs and Tom at 5.00 pm. Got there just in time for Tom's spot at 5.15 pm. (Great set Tom, stick you playlist up). Me and Tabs took full advantage of the £1.50 a pint before 10.00pm (it would have been rude not to have). Great to see lots of friends. It was an absolute belter of a night. Both rooms full and a great atmosphere throughout. Well done to all the lads playing the tunes, and not forgetting the girls Chrisie played a great early set.

Have a good Christmas and New Year everybody.

Keep safe, keep dancing.

Charlie Mc

(next Banbury Soul Club Saturday 9th January, special Guest DJ 'Ady Pountain' and Livergirl 'Pat Bleasdale')

Guest matt tees

My first time at the new TOTS venue, and what a perfect place for a Christmas party!. As Rugbysoulgirl said, lots of happy faces up for a good time and even the Narnia like conditions (snowflakes the size of wagon wheels!) helped everyone get in the festive mood.

I spent most of the night in the R&B room and the sounds were top notch but over all, 10/10 for a great night out.

My sis asked be to say she had the best night out for ages too! So thanks to those that made it happen. thumbup.gif

Oh and a word about the doormen. Very friendly as was the bar owner. smile.gif

Hi Maark, and Sis thanks for giving TOTS ago and so glad you enjoyed your experience, hope to see you at our next event.

COME ON YOU DJ,S GIVE US SOME PLAYLISTS.

What an absolutely brill night, best night out I have had out in ages. Thanks to Sean, Pete and the girls for making it happen.

Here are my humble offerings:

Ronnie & Joyce - On the Stage of Love

The Jewels - Gotta Find A Way

The Bracelets - You're Just Fooling Yourself

Friday Brown - 32nd Love Affair

The Opals - I'm So Afraid

Rozetta Johnson - Mine Was Real

Liz Verdi - Think It Over

Terri Bryant - When I'm In Your Arms

Peaches - You Couldn't of Been Thinking About Me

Barbara Carr - Don't Knock Love

Pearl Woods - Something Touched Me

Margie Hendirx - On The Right Track

Candy & The Kisses - Mr Creator

Gi Gi & The Charmaines - I Don't Wanna Lose Him

The Glories - My Sweet, Sweet Baby

Esther Philips - Catch Me I'm Falling

The Loveables - Just Beyond My Finger Tips

The Facinations - Say It Isn't So

The Mirettes - He's Allright by Me

Fontella Bass - I Can't Rest.

Brilliant sets from everyone, was spoilt for choice kept going from one room to the other both offering the best of their own thing. Have to single out Kriss Tebbutt, what a nice refreshing change to hear such class SKA & Reggae.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie

What an absolutely brill night, best night out I have had out in ages. Thanks to Sean, Pete and the girls for making it happen.

Brilliant sets from everyone, was spoilt for choice kept going from one room to the other both offering the best of their own thing. Have to single out Kriss Tebbutt, what a nice refreshing change to hear such class SKA & Reggae.

QoFxx

Hi Chrissie , not stalking you honest , but do you have every female soul record . :thumbsup: Love the Margie Hendrix and Pearl Woods BTW .Sounds like a really good night was had by all.

Hi Maark, and Sis thanks for giving TOTS ago and so glad you enjoyed your experience, hope to see you at our next event.

I'd been to the old venue at the Rugby club loads of times and was upset when it looked like the end of TOTS, but the new venue is far superior. I couldn't believe it our Bev's first TOTS tho' cos she's out and about somewhere every weekend. I knew the weather was going to be bad and Bev wouldn't be too happy about driving in the snow, so I didn't tell her the forecast!:P Happily we got hope unscathed and we'll definitely be back. :thumbsup:

Guest outonthefloor

I'd been to the old venue at the Rugby club loads of times and was upset when it looked like the end of TOTS, but the new venue is far superior. I couldn't believe it our Bev's first TOTS tho' cos she's out and about somewhere every weekend. I knew the weather was going to be bad and Bev wouldn't be too happy about driving in the snow, so I didn't tell her the forecast!wicked.gif Happily we got hope unscathed and we'll definitely be back. thumbsup.gif

OMG Mark how could I have forgotten you and Bev xxxxxx sorry xxxxxx great to see ya Sat happy christmas and a peaceful new year see you both again soon xx

Helen xx

First set...

Little Queen Bee - Slim Harpo - Excello

Darling (I Miss You So) - Mickey & Sylvia - Willow

Let me Tell You baby - Larry Williams - Specialty

If It's News To You baby - Little Esther - Savoy

Separation Blue - Roy Brown - Tru-Love

Cheating baby - Wilbert Harrison - Fury

Stop Running Around - Gladys Knight & The Pips - Fury

Who Showed My Baby How To Love Me - Larry Darnell - Savoy

Queen Bee - Roman Carter - Jewel

Close The Door - Joe Tex - Atlantic Uk

Something You Didn't Know - Mike Wiliams - King

You Gotta Have Some Green - Lula Reed - Federal

Think Twice before You Go - John Lee Hooker - Bluesway

I'm A King Bee - Slim Harpo - Stateside

2nd Set

Putty In Your Hands - The Shirelles - Vcut from Baby It's You LP

Loving By The Pound - Otis Redding - Stax LP

Home At Last - Little Willie John - Kent Select

She's Looking Good - Rodger Collins - Vocalion

What Kind Of Man - Marva Whitney - King

Mellow Fellow - Etta James - Argo

Roll With Me Henry - Etta James - Kent

But You - Little Grier - Don-El

Have Mercy Baby - The Dominoes - Federal (1953 version with Clyde McPhatter)

Knock Knock - Carol Fran - Excello (thanks Nige Brown)

That's A Rockin Good Way - Vernon & Jewel - Kent

Dust My Broom - Ike & Tina Turner - Tangerine

Little Queenie - Bill Balck's Combo - Hi

They Call Me Jessie James - The Dreams - D C Sounds Ltd

Muddy Part 2 - The Blockbusters - Rockin'

Nothing In The World can Hurt me (Except You) - Buddy Ace - Duke

I Can't Get Enough - Johnny Sayles - St Lawrence

Show Me - Joe Tex - Dial

Baby Cakes - Loretta Williams - Atlantic

Don't Mess With My Man - Irma Thomas - Ron

I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James - Chess

I'm On My Way - Barbara Dane - Trey

Edited by Rbman
Guest BintofSoul

BintofSoul sister's and JB had an excellent time. I spent most of the night in the R&B room getting very hot and glowie! Excellent music, great atmoshere, fantastic venue full of gorgeous soulful peeps. Lovely to see so many soulie friends at the same event and to meet some new ones. It was nice to catch up with the lovely Bev and gorgeous Mark, Martin RBman, Pete, sparkling Liz, Theresa et al, Kylee, PaulH, Teresa & Denis, thanks for remembering me Helen (BTW do you know you are in the Dec issue of Scootering mag?). Nice to meet you Tabs, hopefully you have recovered from your mammoth sess!

Merry chrimbles and a soulful New Year!

Nicki XXX

Hi Nicki,

Great to meet you as well.thumbup.gif

Always good to put faces to names.

I'm fully recovered and ready to do it all again.

Have a great Christmas and hope to see you out and about soon.

Best

Tabs

BintofSoul sister's and JB had an excellent time. I spent most of the night in the R&B room getting very hot and glowie! Excellent music, great atmoshere, fantastic venue full of gorgeous soulful peeps. Lovely to see so many soulie friends at the same event and to meet some new ones. It was nice to catch up with the lovely Bev and gorgeous Mark, Martin RBman, Pete, sparkling Liz, Theresa et al, Kylee, PaulH, Teresa & Denis, thanks for remembering me Helen (BTW do you know you are in the Dec issue of Scootering mag?). Nice to meet you Tabs, hopefully you have recovered from your mammoth sess!

Nicki XXX

OMG Mark how could I have forgotten you and Bev xxxxxx sorry xxxxxx great to see ya Sat happy christmas and a peaceful new year see you both again soon xx

Helen xx

Ha ha, no probs Helen. It's why I never name check. :thumbup: Anyway I wish you and all my lovely soul friends a fantastic Christmas and a happy 2010! :lol:

Guest matt tees

Nicki XXX

Hi Nicki, great to see and I do believe JB and Tracey are also in this month's scootering looking very glam together. Hope to see you out and about.

Guest matt tees

First set...

Little Queen Bee - Slim Harpo - Excello

Darling (I Miss You So) - Mickey & Sylvia - Willow

Let me Tell You baby - Larry Williams - Specialty

If It's News To You baby - Little Esther - Savoy

Separation Blue - Roy Brown - Tru-Love

Cheating baby - Wilbert Harrison - Fury

Stop Running Around - Gladys Knight & The Pips - Fury

Who Showed My Baby How To Love Me - Larry Darnell - Savoy

Queen Bee - Roman Carter - Jewel

Close The Door - Joe Tex - Atlantic Uk

Something You Didn't Know - Mike Wiliams - King

You Gotta Have Some Green - Lula Reed - Federal

Think Twice before You Go - John Lee Hooker - Bluesway

I'm A King Bee - Slim Harpo - Stateside

2nd Set

Putty In Your Hands - The Shirelles - Vcut from Baby It's You LP

Loving By The Pound - Otis Redding - Stax LP

Home At Last - Little Willie John - Kent Select

She's Looking Good - Rodger Collins - Vocalion

What Kind Of Man - Marva Whitney - King

Mellow Fellow - Etta James - Argo

Roll With Me Henry - Etta James - Kent

But You - Little Grier - Don-El

Have Mercy Baby - The Dominoes - Federal (1953 version with Clyde McPhatter)

Knock Knock - Carol Fran - Excello (thanks Nige Brown)

That's A Rockin Good Way - Vernon & Jewel - Kent

Dust My Broom - Ike & Tina Turner - Tangerine

Little Queenie - Bill Balck's Combo - Hi

They Call Me Jessie James - The Dreams - D C Sounds Ltd

Muddy Part 2 - The Blockbusters - Rockin'

Nothing In The World can Hurt me (Except You) - Buddy Ace - Duke

I Can't Get Enough - Johnny Sayles - St Lawrence

Show Me - Joe Tex - Dial

Baby Cakes - Loretta Williams - Atlantic

Don't Mess With My Man - Irma Thomas - Ron

I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James - Chess

I'm On My Way - Barbara Dane - Trey

Nice one Martin, great to get you on the decks! well done mate!

Guest matt tees

QoFxx

Chrissie some excellent stuff and Big thanks for the getting the evening off to a cracker, sorry for turning all the lights off and I was listening to what you were playing from the lounge!!! So again Top set!!!

Guest matt tees

Quality night all round.

Can't add anything that hasn't already been said.

Great to see so many friends and everyone enjoying themselves.

Arrived at 5.00 and left at 3.00 am.

10 hours and it flew by.

That sums up a class night to me.

Spent time in both rooms both of which were banging.

As Helen said the second room was definitely not empty.

And the bonus of any pint at £1.50 until 10.00 pm.

Congrats to all the organizers.

Hopefully better weather for the June event.

Best wishes to all and seasons compliments.

Hope to see you all soon.

Tabs

That £1.50 a pint went down really well!!!! Tom get your playlist UP!!! and also Carmen and Nige (Main Set also), Terry Dempsey and Steve Clarke.

Thanks for the comments folks. The RnB room was well and truely kicking all night with a really excellent atmosphere - it was a pleasure to dj in there. Loved Kris Tebbut's ska and reggae set - not only a collector but also a great selector. Can't remember all the tunes I played but these were in the bunch. Thanks Pete, Mat and Sean for inviting me to dj - can't remember when I've enjoyed guesting more.

Hector Rivera - Chance for romance - Barry

Jock Mithchell - Not a chance in a million - Impact

Lewise Bethune - Chi-Town Boogaloo - Sack

Hayes Cotton - Black wings have my angel - Resist

Ernie Washington - Lonesome shack - Chatahoochee

Marvin Gaye - Love starved heart - Tamla

Bobby Valentin - Use it before you lose it - Fania

Charles Sheffield - It's your voodoo working - Excello

Harvey Averne - Never learned to dance - Uptite

Sammy Lee - What goes around - Promco -

King Coleman - Black bottom blues - Philips

Betty O'Brien - She'll be gone - Liberty

Tobi Lark - Sweep it out in the shed - Topper

Jackie Weaver - The Tingle - Chess

Sam Chapman - Nobody but me - Boss

Ted Taylor - Someone's always trying - Okeh

Ko Ko Taylor - Wang Dand Doodle - Checker

Del Davis - Baby don't wake me - Trojan

JT Parker - If you wanna hold on - Academy

Harol Jackson - Freedom Riders

Tony Middleton - Return to Spanish Harlem - Speed

Ray Medina - Head's head - Mares

Tiny topsy - Just a little Bit - Federal

Big Martha - You Don't Love Me Like You Used To - (Espirit)

Barbara Banks - river of tears - Veep

Billy Hamlin - If You Ain't Got No Bread (You Might As Well Stay Home in Bed) - Bethlehem

Edited by boogaloo

A most enjoyable start to Christmas week for the South London Massive, with particular mention to Pete Hulatt for a standout set amongst some corkers. Plenty of laughs and dancing for all.

Our only criticism was that there was a slight dearth of crumpet - always a shame when Dru & I have to concede that our own husbands are the best looking in the room huh.gif Sort it out lads laugh.gif

post-8338-12614420514283_thumb.jpg

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

just got the chance to put my list up for saturday night and like warren said the rnb room worked really well with all the djs playing fairly

well known tunes to create a great party atmosphere and also agree Kris did two fantastic reggae spots that had the X factor.

BURNT TOAST AND BLACK COFFEE--MIKE PEDICIN-FEDERAL

HOW MUCH LAND--FRANK MINION--VIK

BABY PLEASE DONT GO--JO ANN HENDERSON--PHONOGRAPH

LITTLE GIRL--SUGAR BOY WILLIAMS--HERALD

SLICK CHICK--VERNON HARRELL

EL MONKEY--SAXIE RUSSELL-RAN-DEE

POW WOW--MANNY CORCHADO--DECCA

SUGAR--ISONICS-KAMMY

ZU ZU MAN--ZU ZU BLUES BAND--A&M

HARD ROW TO HOE--OTIS LEE--QUAINT

IF YOU DONT COME--PATIENCE VALENTINE-SAR

HE,S THE ONE THAT RINGS MY BELL-SHERI TAYLOR-GLORECO

DR TRUELOVE-BETTY LOU &BOBBY ADAMS--TRAX

LITTLE ANNIE--ANNA BELLE CAESAR--GLAD HAMP

CATCH THAT TEARDROP-THE FIVE ROYALES--ABC

THE HAMMER-FAYE ADAMS-HERALD

SHE,S MY BABY-SCREAMING JOE NEAL EMERGE

COME ON HOME-GEORGE ALLEN-SOTO PLAY

HOPES DREAMS TOMBSTONES--YOUTH OPPORTUNITY PROGRAM-

SEVEN DAY LOVER-JAMES FOUNTAIN-PEACHTREE

WHEREVER YOU WERE- BUD HARPER-PEACOCK

WHO,S THAT LADY-ISLEY BROTHERS 1964 UNITED ARTISTS

GONNA BUILD ME A MOUNTAIN-JONATHAN CAPREE--OX BOW

CANT DO WITHOUT YOU- DUSTY WILSON-BRONSE

MY MAN DONT THINK I KNOW-GWEN DAVIS-SOUND STAGE SEVEN

PEMPERLEM-AZIE LAWRENCE--BLUE BEAT

THAT WAS MOST OF THEM THAT I REMEMBER.

Guest matt tees

Thanks for the comments folks. The RnB room was well and truely kicking all night with a really excellent atmosphere - it was a pleasure to dj in there. Loved Kris Tebbut's ska and reggae set - not only a collector but also a great selector. Can't remember all the tunes I played but these were in the bunch. Thanks Pete, Mat and Sean for inviting me to dj - can't remember when I've enjoyed guesting more.

Hector Rivera - Chance for romance - Barry

Jock Mithchell - Not a chance in a million - Impact

Lewise Bethune - Chi-Town Boogaloo - Sack

Hayes Cotton - Black wings have my angel - Resist

Ernie Washington - Lonesome shack - Chatahoochee

Marvin Gaye - Love starved heart - Tamla

Bobby Valentin - Use it before you lose it - Fania

Charles Sheffield - It's your voodoo working - Excello

Harvey Averne - Never learned to dance - Uptite

Sammy Lee - What goes around - Promco -

King Coleman - Black bottom blues - Philips

Betty O'Brien - She'll be gone - Liberty

Tobi Lark - Sweep it out in the shed - Topper

Jackie Weaver - The Tingle - Chess

Sam Chapman - Nobody but me - Boss

Ted Taylor - Someone's always trying - Okeh

Ko Ko Taylor - Wang Dand Doodle - Checker

Del Davis - Baby don't wake me - Trojan

JT Parker - If you wanna hold on - Academy

Harol Jackson - Freedom Riders

Tony Middleton - Return to Spanish Harlem - Speed

Ray Medina - Head's head - Mares

Tiny topsy - Just a little Bit - Federal

Big Martha - You Don't Love Me Like You Used To - (Espirit)

Barbara Banks - river of tears - Veep

Billy Hamlin - If You Ain't Got No Bread (You Might As Well Stay Home in Bed) - Bethlehem

Warren some monster 45s there mate, as I was checking the northern room I obviously missed some fantastic tunes but every time I went in the RnB Room it was rocking!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by matt tees

Hi

Apologies this is so late,, i arrived back in Stafford to find out my elderly father had been taken to Stafford Hospital( Death Camp) so ive spent the last couple of days up there making sure they dont kill him!!

Anyway enuff of that , just like to thank Sean & Pete for inviting me and Carms to DJ in what turned out to be a real bostin night , with music to die for in both rooms!

DJd 3 times down Sarf this month and would just like to say ive met some wonnderful people i didnt know and realised just how many people i DO know South of Watford considing i dont get down there much these days!

By now everyone knows how good the evening was i think Carms has already mentioned on her blog about us being stuck 5 miles from Luton on the M1 for 2 bleedin hours!!

Anyway did 2 sets 30 Mins with Carms 4-30 5-15 Afternoon and then my main set 10 thru 11 Evening!

Afternoon session

Carms

Impressions - Wherever she leadeth me

Joyce Davis - Hello heartaches

Bobby Jones - Talkin about Jones

Shirley Karol - Just to make you happy

Browny

ROSE BROOKS -- IM MOANING -- SOUL CITY Demo

BONNIE BRISKER - SOMEOME REALLY LOVES YOU - MAGIC CITY

FANTASTICS - HIGH NOTE - COPA

LEE WILLIAMS - A GIRL FROM A COUNTRY TOWN - RAPIDA

SHIRLEY WAHLS -- BECAUSE I LOVE YOU - CARLLA Demo

ROTATIONS - TRYING TO MALKE YOU MY OWN- MALA Demo

CHIMES - THE BEGINING OF MY LIFE - DOWN TO EARTH

COOKING ON 3 BURNERS -THIS GIRL - FREESTYLE

EVENING SET 10 THRU 11PM

UNIQUE BLEND - YES IM IN LOVE-- EASTBOUND Demo

VANGAURDS - GOOD TIMES BAD TIMES - LAMP

BAD WEATHER INC --- I NEVER KNEW -- BAD WEATHER

BARBARA LYNN - MOVIN ON A GROOVE -- JETSTREAM

RHONDA DAVIES - CAN YOU REMEMBER - DUKE Demo

PATTI AUSTIN - IVE GIVEN ALL MY LOVE - CORAL Espania

GENE WOODBURY -- EVER AGAIN-- DEL VAL

LITTLE TOMMY -- BABY CANT YOU SEE -- SOUND of SOUL

INSPIRATIONS - YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND --MIDAS

DREAMS -- JESSE JAMES -- SHOUT

JAMES FOUNTAIN - SEVEN DAY LOVER - PEACHTREE

TANGEERS - LET MY HEART AND SOUL BE FREE - OKEH DemO

CHARLES JOHNSON -- NEVER HAD A LOVE SO GOOD - ALSTON

LIL MAJOR WILLIAMS -- GIRL DONT LEAVE ME -- WILLAMS 111

JACKIE WILSON -- IT ONLY HAPPENS -- BRUNSWICK UK Demo

MOSES SMITH -- COME ON LET ME LOVE YOU -- COTILLION Demo

POETS -- SHE BLEW A GOOD THING -- SYMBOL Demo

SAM WILLIAMS -- LOVE SLIPPED THROUGH MY FINGERS -- TOWER DemO

DARRELL BANKS IM THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU - STAX UK

PAPA BEAR & CUBS -- YOUR SO FINE -- SMS

COMMANDS -- HEY ITS LOVE -- DYNAMIC Demo

MARKE JACKSON -- IL NEVER FORGET YOU --JAMIE

SEVEN SOULS -- I STILL LOVE YOU -- OKEH Demo ( for PETE ROBINSON RIP)

I had a ball , again thanks guys for giving us a go!!

A couple of piccis below

Have a Cool Yule

Nige B xxxx

post-1851-12614799552098_thumb.jpg

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

missed out the last hours music as it was dedicated to a large contingent of people who where regulars at a local monthly night at

THE COMPASES mod and soul nights which was also used as LUTON LAMBRETTA CLUBS meeting point with a wonderful row of scoots

outside.So for a bunch of retrobates crazy daddies chris and bill, colin and sue,sprog vickie mark christeen jimmy steve harry paul hastings

dave, claire earny dave oh i cant go on but still probably another 20 people who know who you are these tunes were for you thanks for your support.

for the booted and suited mods started with there record

THE FACE--HIGH NUMBERS

BERTS APPLE CRUMBLE-THE QUICK-DERAM

FORTUNE TELLER-THE ROLLING STONES-DECCA

SOMEBODY STOLE MY THUNDER-GEORGIE FAME

INDIAN ROPEMAN-JULIE DRISCOLL,BRIAN AUGER--MARMELADE

THE MEMPHIS TRAIN-RUFUS THOMAS- STAX

LIAR LIAR-THE CASTAWAYS--LONDON

NIGHT TIME-THE STRANGELOVES -BANG

SHAKE-SHADOWS OF NIGHT-BUDDAH

IME A MAN-WYNDER K FROG-ISLAND

LITTLE LATIN LUPE LU--MITCH RYDER

WADE IN THE WATER -LITTLE SONNY-ENTERPRISE

JUMP AND DANCE--THE CARNABY--PICCADILLY

IN MY LONELY ROOM--THE ACTION-PARLOPHONE

CONTOURS-HIT AND RUN-MOTOWN

TELL ME ITS JUST A RUMOUR-ISLEY BROS-MOTOWN

GONNA GIVE HER ALL THE LOVE IVE GOT-JIMMY RUFFIN-MOTOWN

THIS OLD HEART OF MINE- ISLEY BROS-MOTOWN

THESE THINGS WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU-THE VELVELETTES-MOTOWN

THE NIGHT-FRANKIE VALLIE-MOWEST

OUR LOVE IS IN THE POCKET-JJ BARNES-GROOVESVILLE

MY WORLD-SECRET AFFAIR-I SPY.

THATS WAT THE COMPASSES WAS ALL ABOUT A COMPLETE CROSS SECTION OF MUSIC.SO THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT ON THE NIGHT.WE WILL DO IT AGAIN SOON HOPEFULLY.

Guest matt tees

missed out the last hours music as it was dedicated to a large contingent of people who where regulars at a local monthly night at

THE COMPASES mod and soul nights which was also used as LUTON LAMBRETTA CLUBS meeting point with a wonderful row of scoots

outside.So for a bunch of retrobates crazy daddies chris and bill, colin and sue,sprog vickie mark christeen jimmy steve harry paul hastings

dave, claire earny dave oh i cant go on but still probably another 20 people who know who you are these tunes were for you thanks for your support.

for the booted and suited mods started with there record

THE FACE--HIGH NUMBERS

BERTS APPLE CRUMBLE-THE QUICK-DERAM

FORTUNE TELLER-THE ROLLING STONES-DECCA

SOMEBODY STOLE MY THUNDER-GEORGIE FAME

INDIAN ROPEMAN-JULIE DRISCOLL,BRIAN AUGER--MARMELADE

THE MEMPHIS TRAIN-RUFUS THOMAS- STAX

LIAR LIAR-THE CASTAWAYS--LONDON

NIGHT TIME-THE STRANGELOVES -BANG

SHAKE-SHADOWS OF NIGHT-BUDDAH

IME A MAN-WYNDER K FROG-ISLAND

LITTLE LATIN LUPE LU--MITCH RYDER

WADE IN THE WATER -LITTLE SONNY-ENTERPRISE

JUMP AND DANCE--THE CARNABY--PICCADILLY

IN MY LONELY ROOM--THE ACTION-PARLOPHONE

CONTOURS-HIT AND RUN-MOTOWN

TELL ME ITS JUST A RUMOUR-ISLEY BROS-MOTOWN

GONNA GIVE HER ALL THE LOVE IVE GOT-JIMMY RUFFIN-MOTOWN

THIS OLD HEART OF MINE- ISLEY BROS-MOTOWN

THESE THINGS WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU-THE VELVELETTES-MOTOWN

THE NIGHT-FRANKIE VALLIE-MOWEST

OUR LOVE IS IN THE POCKET-JJ BARNES-GROOVESVILLE

MY WORLD-SECRET AFFAIR-I SPY.

THATS WAT THE COMPASSES WAS ALL ABOUT A COMPLETE CROSS SECTION OF MUSIC.SO THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT ON THE NIGHT.WE WILL DO IT AGAIN SOON HOPEFULLY.

That litle lot plus everything else that was played on the night covers a massive range of diverse music, from the rarest of ther RARE to the 7/6 shillings and calling at all stops in between!!!

Cracking day Sean & Pete, next time find a venue in Euston Road and I might make it on time.laugh.giflaugh.gif

Here's my humble offerings (not sure about precise sequence)

Minits - Still A Part Of Me

Minnie Jones - Shadow Of A Memory

Leonard Adair - That Smile Upon Your Face

Gil Billingsley - I'm Me Just Me

Kittie Doswell - Just A Face In The Crowd

Differences - Five Minutes

Patterson Twins - Gonna Find A True Love

Nicky Newarkers - Woman

Brenda Jones - Big Mistake

Barbara St Clair - Teacherman

7 Miles Per Hour Band - Playing Your Game

Billy Stewart - Sitting In The Park

Thanks again for the invite

ATB Steve thumbsup.gif

Edited by upthejunction

Cracking day Sean & Pete, next time find a venue in Euston Road and I might make it on time.laugh.giflaugh.gif

Nicky Newarkers - Woman

ATB Steve thumbsup.gif

Really nice to meet you Steve , I thought Santa had arrived when I heard Brenda on the decks , what a welcome !

hatsoff2.gif massive credit for a great opening set.

A most enjoyable start to Christmas week for the South London Massive, with particular mention to Pete Hulatt for a standout set amongst some corkers. Plenty of laughs and dancing for all.

Our only criticism was that there was a slight dearth of crumpet - always a shame when Dru & I have to concede that our own husbands are the best looking in the room huh.gif Sort it out lads laugh.gif

Following a haranguing at the 100 Club tonight, I would like to point out that my earlier crumpet-related comment on this thread was in fact an 'in' joke at the expense of one of our more vain friends in attendance at Luton, who felt he should jump to the top of the SS crumpet league despite having no nominations. It was not intended as a slur on the appearance of the good gentlemen of Beds & Herts, and I therefore apologise unreservedly for any offence that may have been caused.

In fact Maark, Dru & I are so impressed that you even knew what 'dearth' meant, that you immediately enter the thinking girls crumpet top ten laugh.gif

Cracking day Sean & Pete, next time find a venue in Euston Road and I might make it on time.:laugh::laugh:

Nicky Newarkers - Woman

ATB Steve thumbsup.gif

Sorry I wasn't there in time for your set but from the looks of it, it was class as always:hatsoff2:

QoFxx

Guest matt tees

Mick Smith's Set On Sat Night in no particular order.

i think i played these-no order.

barbara carr-my mama told me-chess.

dewey black-takin' love where i find it-reeflair.

fidels-i'm givin' you notice baby-dore.

the astors-in the twilight zone-stax.

shirley wahls-why am i crying-king.

the vontastics-never let your love grow cold-st. lawrence.

fred hughes-i keep tryin'-exodus.

jackie payne-no puppy love-jet stream.

marva lee-if you can't be true-atco.

cornelius dwyer-stepping too fast-20th century-fox.

ann sexton-you've been gone too long-impel.

bernard smith-never gonna let you go-spectrum.

delegates of soul-i'll come running back-uplook.

four below zero-my baby's got esp-p & p.

milton parker-women like it harder-closet.

true image-i'm not over you-super smash.

dennis edwards-i didn't have to-international soulville(issue).

gwen owens-just say you're wanted-velgo(no jumps).

bobby kline-say something nice(for randy cozens)-mb.

jock mitchell-not a chance in a million(for randy cozens)-impact.

dean courtney-you just can't walk away-m-g-m.(issue).

the impressions-wherever she leadeth me-curtom.

lee david-temptation is calling my name-columbia.

andy fisher-my hearts beating stronger-fat fish.

jesse davis-gonna hang on in there-era.

paris-sleepless nights-doc.

the appointments-i saw you there-de-lite.

eddie spencer-if this is love-arc.

frankie crocker-ton of dynamite-tuba.

the crow-your autum of tomorrow-inner ear.

the jades-lucky fellow-mode.

the sensations-demanding man-way out.

the stratoliners-what do you want with my love-federal.

young brothers-what's your game-soul power.

jackie lee-oh, my darling-mirwood.

Following a haranguing at the 100 Club tonight, I would like to point out that my earlier crumpet-related comment on this thread was in fact an 'in' joke at the expense of one of our more vain friends in attendance at Luton, who felt he should jump to the top of the SS crumpet league despite having no nominations. It was not intended as a slur on the appearance of the good gentlemen of Beds & Herts, and I therefore apologise unreservedly for any offence that may have been caused.

In fact Maark, Dru & I are so impressed that you even knew what 'dearth' meant, that you immediately enter the thinking girls crumpet top ten laugh.gif

You have just made me really laugh...and blush at the same time Theresa! :no:blush.gif

Thanks for that Carms, great to meet you two as well, If I sell Brenda , You'll get first refusal.

ATB Steve.

P.S. See you two in Newquay in April. I can't wait . thumbsup.gif

Oh that's really sweet of you Steve , mind you I doubt you will ever sell such a great sound , if it was me I would never let her go nono.gif

Now Newquay - My mind is there too , I really dislike winter it must be because I am a summer baby I can't wait for soulin on Fistral beach with the sun on your back and a pint of the black stuff in your hand. Nige and I look forward to seeing you too.

Guest matt tees

Oh that's really sweet of you Steve , mind you I doubt you will ever sell such a great sound , if it was me I would never let her go :nono:

Now Newquay - My mind is there too , I really dislike winter it must be because I am a summer baby I can't wait for soulin on Fistral beach with the sun on your back and a pint of the black stuff in your hand. Nige and I look forward to seeing you too.

Oooooooh Newquay that sounds sooooooooooo nice and I am also looking forward to it also!!!

Guest matt tees

It may be disco but it's always class disco with you:laugh::laugh:

Speak soon.

QoFxx

Chrissie, there was no modern it was sweet soul 70s at its best, modern has to be 2K+ for me!!

Edited by matt tees