Attic - Jan 2Nd 2010

KevH

Hi.First Attic of 2010 is on JAN 2ND.Blowing the cobwebs away will be Mansfield's prodigal son....

...............................ROB WIGLEY (and his lovely assistant Karen:D ) .

Rob will probably be on around 10.00pm, supported by Team Attic.Times to be confirmed.

Its just 3 English pounds on the door.Kick-off is 7.30.Full time 12.20ish...Bar till 12.00.:thumbup:

Make a change,and get yourself down to the Attic.You know it makes sense.!!!!

BLACK BULL INN,WOODHOUSE RD.,MANSFIELD. NG18 2BQ.

Edited by KevH
  • Replies 38
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Odd night isn't it Jan 2nd. Could be a good one though, perhaps after the new year's eve shindigs, Jan 1st to recover, it could be just what the nurse ordered. A friendly local (just thought how stupid a statement that is! Local - if you happen to be local) soul night, with hosts so charming they should be in panto, a good mix of northern soul with less frequently heard tunes getting a hearing as well as a few favourite sounds.

We've known Rob for decades but I must say I'm no wiser about what he will be bringing to play. That's how I like it, a little bit of unpredictable on the decks.

Note, we are switching to bi-monthly for 2010, Jan, March, May, July, Sept, Nov - first Saturdays.

As Dean said,bi-monthly next year.Already have 3 of the months booked,March,May,and the July Anniversary....and all Attic virgins!!!.Of course all new blood TBC a little nearer the time, as they say.

Why don't you come along for one of the first nights of 2010? .Once Rob has sorted thru his A-Z of neatly boxed and filed records,then thru the garage,i'm sure he will be treating us all to the whole Spectrum of Soul.yes.gif (mmm..g.gif ,sounds like a name of a club...,a freebie for one of you lot out there..wink.gif ..)

A very Merry Christmas to one and all.... .See you next year.

This is the 2nd part of my 2010 World tour of Notts , Derbys and Yorkshire, fan club all primed and coming down I hope (well thats 3 more with Cressy).

Sounds to play, like Santa Ive written a list and checking it twice and I'll be changing my mind on the night no doubt.

Hope to play a few you dont know, some you don't hear and others that are just too F**king good to leave out. As most of you know I'm very dancefloor friendly, so I aim to "Rock the Attic" and get a few dancing. Also hope to have one new thing by the time I arrive.

I don't think Ive been behind the decks in Mansfield Town Centre since Trotters days-although I remember doing the Oak Tree Lane things for Mark.

Might be a couple over from Donny way there as well plus Cathy & stuart hope to attend as I'm at Barrow Hill the week after with a bit of a Hollingwood revival !

Good stuff , really looking forward to it

Rob & Karen

As Dean said,bi-monthly next year.Already have 3 of the months booked,March,May,and the July Anniversary....and all Attic virgins!!!.Of course all new blood TBC a little nearer the time, as they say.

Why don't you come along for one of the first nights of 2010? .Once Rob has sorted thru his A-Z of neatly boxed and filed records,then thru the garage,i'm sure he will be treating us all to the whole Spectrum of Soul.:yes: (mmm..:chinstroke: ,sounds like a name of a club...,a freebie for one of you lot out there..:wink: ..)

A very Merry Christmas to one and all.... .See you next year.

Hey Holmes boy, you gonna let the cat out of the bag? Just been on the phone to barney, he said you fixed up some support at Tadcaster. Was discussing with Steve what Rob might play, we're taking bets. Must check if there's food downstairs on the 2nd.

This is the 2nd part of my 2010 World tour of Notts , Derbys and Yorkshire, fan club all primed and coming down I hope (well thats 3 more with Cressy).

Sounds to play, like Santa Ive written a list and checking it twice and I'll be changing my mind on the night no doubt.

Hope to play a few you dont know, some you don't hear and others that are just too F**king good to leave out. As most of you know I'm very dancefloor friendly, so I aim to "Rock the Attic" and get a few dancing. Also hope to have one new thing by the time I arrive.

I don't think Ive been behind the decks in Mansfield Town Centre since Trotters days-although I remember doing the Oak Tree Lane things for Mark.

Might be a couple over from Donny way there as well plus Cathy & stuart hope to attend as I'm at Barrow Hill the week after with a bit of a Hollingwood revival !

Good stuff , really looking forward to it

Rob & Karen

Well Rob, you may well see Mark and company unless he's abroad sunning himself.! All are welcome of course,from far and wide,north and south..to come and have a look how we do it ATTIC style.

Must get back to the Pheasant plucking.....hatsoff2.gif

Rob & Karen

Rob, we tend not to give much direction to our guests, but I do have an anorak request. There are a couple we've talked about recently that would come under the classics banner, even if you don't want to play 'em I wouldn't mind having a look! Hope all's good where you are.

Don't forget the Black Bull Inn does some pretty good food.So if you've not overdone it with the christmas pud,food is served till 8.30pm for our travellers.

The line up is something like this....no doubt i've got it wrong but.....

7.30 - Dean,SteveL,Garry,Rob Wigley, then myself till the end ,which is about 12.30 if we behave.

just looking through what's on this week, should have a bit of time myself to get out to a couple of events to hear some tunes and have a dance. There's a few local events on, I hope you all get to hear something you want to in an environment that suits your mood.

Coming up on Saturday - If you know thw Attic you will know what to expect. If you don't, then have an entetaining browse back through the first Saturady Lookbacks for some feedback and playlists from The Attic.

What a year! We've had some huge guests in 2009, some huge in reputation some just huge! We're kicking off 2010 with our friend Rob Wigley. You can expect a small room with a friendly welcome and atmosphere playing a few you won't hear out at many other places. Looking forward to see what Rob brings along to play.

As I'm on first on saturday it's a chance tp play from the other end of the box. Considering a more unusual Motown spot to start of 2010, the first spot allows us a little time to sit around, play some tunes and chat before most people arrive. feel free to join us.

Hope to see some faces on saturday, best wishes, Dean.

Guest SoulRenaissance

First of all wishing all concerned at the Attic all the very best as we haven't crossed paths recently.

Said i'd make it to the last one, but didn't due to some bug i caught on the Friday at Long Eaton. Must be alergic to R'n'b?

So won't promise this time as i'm away down sunny Newquay for New Year's eve, if i'm back on the Saturday will try my best.

Heard there may be one or two more coming as well.

See you then.

Martyn

First of all wishing all concerned at the Attic all the very best as we haven't crossed paths recently.

Said i'd make it to the last one, but didn't due to some bug i caught on the Friday at Long Eaton. Must be alergic to R'n'b?

So won't promise this time as i'm away down sunny Newquay for New Year's eve, if i'm back on the Saturday will try my best.

Heard there may be one or two more coming as well.

See you then.

Martyn

Tough time of the year Martyn.Very close to NYE,so not sure what we're going to get.I'm sure the Faithful will try to get here.

One things a cert,there will be no let up on the philosophy fo the Attic.Musically we will always try and broaden the horizons.

If some take that as "educating", - tough.We are not here to educate anyone.All the tunes are out there,in those grooves.Who's got the bottle to play 'em?

If you want to hear something possibly new to your ears,or underplayed (call it what you like!!),that's fine and dandy.Here we are.hatsoff2.gif .

DJ times to follow.............

I don't get out on NYE and I said I would start this year by spending a bit more time at home...whistling

That's Jan 1st covered then...so hopefully I will get along to you on Jan 2nd...thumbsup.gif...:laugh:

Be good to see you Sian.Don't forget to bring some flyers - not as tho you need 'em!!.

Times,not set in stone...subject to change etc etc.....

7.30 - 8.30...DEAN

8.30 - 9.15...STEVE L

9.15 - 10.00...GARRY

10.00 - 11.15..ROB WIGLEY :thumbup:

11.15 - END...KEV H.

Just back from a trip to the frozen North (Newcastle )ph34r.gif Took in a game between men in black(& white) and some people with a propensity towards fondling cuddly looking animals that provide woolshades.gif Johnno's lotwhistling.gif

Time to thaw out a bit and get ready for the new year and then the first Attic of the new decade.

Cant remember the last time I heard mr Wigley round these parts but it must have been a good few years ago so looking forward to that.

Got one or two new bits to play myself as well which will all be first time plays here.tumbleweed3.gif Maybemellow.gif

Happy new year and hopefully see some of you Sat night to blow away the new year blueshatsoff2.gif

BTW things are quiet on here cos BigPauls got no internet access!

Rumoured to be setting up Saturday late pm, then dinner together downstairs at the Bull before straight into it for the early spot. If anyone wants to join us for a new year chin stroke/wag, and a beer and/or food, before venturing upstairs, we should be eating about 6.45.

Hope 2010 brings something of superb soulful quality that you've not heard before. Anybody get any bags for Christmas? shades.gif

Rumoured to be setting up Saturday late pm, then dinner together downstairs at the Bull before straight into it for the early spot. If anyone wants to join us for a new year chin stroke/wag, and a beer and/or food, before venturing upstairs, we should be eating about 6.45.

Hope 2010 brings something of superb soulful quality that you've not heard before. Anybody get any bags for Christmas? shades.gif

Tend to recycle our bags at Christmas Dean.Just put different tags on each year.Is that what you meant?

Plans for dining early may have changed as well,i'm "working" till 2pmmellow.gif .Steve will be in touch.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL.HAVE A GOOD NIGHT WHEREVER YOU GO.....thumbup.gif

After the last party popper has popped, the last glass of water downed in the hope of reducing the forthcoming alcohol induced headache, and Steve L has written his last apology to those he's offended . . . . . . . . . you may just want to get back to some sense of normality.

Normality for the Attic = bi monthly offering of sweet, quality, northern soul, to dance to or to listen to. Hopefully some you won't hear at your average soul night boo boo.

Get back to normality Saturday 2nd Jan, 7.30 onwards.

Happy new year to all those attending the Attic in 2009, and those hoping to attend in 2010. Special thanks top all the guests in 2009, what a line up we had!

Best wishes, Dean.

Happy new Year !, so we are back from the Emerald isle and feckin' freezing it was as well! Snow on Christmas day!

After 10 days of Irish live music down at deCoursey's Pub its given me plenty of time to sit and think what to play at the Attic.

Still time for one little brown package to arrive, all hopes pinned on the saturday post (fingers crossed) but plenty to play if it isn't here on time-it will save for Barrow Hill next week ohmy.gif

Think I have 3 things no one will have heard before -although I will stand corrected on that due to the depth of collections at the Attic--Tats and Andy Whitmore are always good sounding boards for stuff i don't know so if they dont know them good chance is they are pretty obscure or at least un-played.

The Attic will give me a chance to play a few things that have been gathering dust in my box as well- i think most 60s are "Oldies" to some degree anyway-but if you haven't heard it played for 20 odd years then it should sound "fresh".

The 70s stuff which was played at the end of the 80s also don't get much air time so I'll have a few of those along for the ride as well.

Now where did I put that copy of "The Snake" ?

With a little luck we may be seeing Chris and Sue Shaw take the climb to the Top of the stairs at the Black Bull to see us as well!

Come on gang give them the encouragement to get along !

See you saturday if not before (at Kirkby tonight) as always Brid tickets with us and flyers to take away as well !

Looking forward to it

Rob & Karen

Happy new Year !, so we are back from the Emerald isle and feckin' freezing it was as well! Snow on Christmas day!

After 10 days of Irish live music down at deCoursey's Pub its given me plenty of time to sit and think what to play at the Attic.

Still time for one little brown package to arrive, all hopes pinned on the saturday post (fingers crossed) but plenty to play if it isn't here on time-it will save for Barrow Hill next week :ohmy:

Think I have 3 things no one will have heard before -although I will stand corrected on that due to the depth of collections at the Attic--Tats and Andy Whitmore are always good sounding boards for stuff i don't know so if they dont know them good chance is they are pretty obscure or at least un-played.

The Attic will give me a chance to play a few things that have been gathering dust in my box as well- i think most 60s are "Oldies" to some degree anyway-but if you haven't heard it played for 20 odd years then it should sound "fresh".

The 70s stuff which was played at the end of the 80s also don't get much air time so I'll have a few of those along for the ride as well.

Now where did I put that copy of "The Snake" ?

With a little luck we may be seeing Chris and Sue Shaw take the climb to the Top of the stairs at the Black Bull to see us as well!

Come on gang give them the encouragement to get along !

See you saturday if not before (at Kirkby tonight) as always Brid tickets with us and flyers to take away as well !

Looking forward to it

Rob & Karen

Got our juices flowing Rob - love the sound of some real unknowns being spun by you good selfthumbsup.gif .

Have a great time today at EKMW,won't be there myself.Nursing a little headache.whistling

And of course its only the Attic..... tommorow!!!!! :thumbup:

7.30 start...food available.5 hours of lovely soul music...all for 3 quid.

Edited by KevH

That's what I was hoping for Rob, think I'm still an oldies fan at heart but just tired of predictable spots and a limited imagination of oldies - I'm expecting better from you.

Not seen either for many moons, that would be a welcome start to 2010, fingers crossed.

That's what I was hoping for Rob, think I'm still an oldies fan at heart but just tired of predictable spots and a limited imagination of oldies - I'm expecting better from you.

Not seen either for many moons, that would be a welcome start to 2010, fingers crossed.

New year , new frame of mind , new choons to listen to . It has got to be The Attic. Mak is back.

Guest tonyolly

return of the MAK .......CHRIS & SUE again havent seen them for oooo must be months sure ROB will have something good see you all 2mora...TONY

Nice to see a few are making the journey to the Attic for this one, looking forward to putting a few sounds on the decks. Hope the weather stays clear as well. it will be nice to see all who are attending-especially those who are trying the Attic for the first time-they are a friendly bunch there and "Chin strokin " is optional!

Remember that the Attic also goes bi-monthly from this one, so the next event will not be until March

Anyone else wanting Bridlington tickets shout up-we'll have them with us tonight £20 each-sorry but we are not "reserving" tickets this year- it is first come first served due to numbers coming and we need to know well in advance exactly where we are sales wise!

Talking to Cressy last night and he may not be in attendance due to being attacked by a Christmas tree at East Kirkby just prior to his and Gaz's last spot- he managed to save his pint as the Evergreen jumped him from behind. Cressy won the battle extinguishing the tree's lights in the process!

Hope you have got all the needles out mate !

see you later

Rob

By the way we've had a few ask where the Attic is in Mansfield, dead easy to find- its on the main A60 Mansfield to Worksop road.

From the M1 or South head towards Mansfield then pick up signs for the town centre ring road and head towards A60 Warsop/ Worksop road

The Attic is above The Black Bull pub about 3/4 mile from Mansfield town centre just after the railway bridge on the "boarder" between Mansfield and Mansfield Woodhouse

Light snow at moment, roads ok. Just been on www.bbc.co.uk/weather . forcast is for it to clear this evening with a clear night.

Directions:

Ample car parking to rear of pub, just along Woodhouse road heading out Mansfield on A60 towards Warsop / Worksop, down the hill on the right (if coming from Mansfield). From Junct 29 M1, A617 Glapwell, Pleasley, Mansfield - either keep on into Mansfield, left at Boothy's club lights (opposite Riley's snooker) - that's the A60 Warsop, or left at Rufford arms on A617 before Mansfield (Debdale Lane), right turn at lights after low bridge (Sherwood st, York St), right turn at T Junction, Bull just a few yards on left.

My mobile 07887770493 if anyone gets lost.

Let's mull some guinness!

Guest Mart B

Will be down tonight,if we arent snowed in!.

Bring your John Trovares and John Bowie Rob, nice to hear them again.

I bet you had to blow the dust off some of those records you played last niteyes.gif .....

Looking forward to my first trip of the new year to The Attic tonight. Hope the weather keeps off. We have just got to get from Banbury to Rugby, where we have been kindly offered a lift by Sian. Football is cancelled this afternoon, so getting myself ready now for the early set off tonight. See you all tonight.

Charlie Mc

Banbury Soul Club

(next Banbury Soul Club 9th January Guest DJ Ady Pountain and Pat Beasdale, plus residents Charlie Mc, Eddie Hubbard, Steve M, Tom H at Le Royale Club, Butchers Row, Banbury, OX16 5JH 8.00 to 1.00)

Hi.Michael Fish here with the Weather.

The roads in the Mansfield area look fairly good at ther moment.Gritting in progress.Could be more snow,who knows?.biggrin.gif .

The outlook for the Attic,is sunny spells early on, leading to a warm front about 10.00pm.Gale force winds after 11.30 are predicted.laugh.gif .

Hoping to meet up with you all later - take care on your journeys - .....Kev.thumbsup.gif