Chris Forrest The Big 6. 0

Rupert

• Replies 28
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

had a great time a chris's birthday soul dayer. thanks for asking me to play a few tunes. just a shame i had to leave early to catch the train home.

so how was the rest of the night ?

and did i win anything in the chrity raffle ?

rupe

Thanks Rupe, it was good to see ya - I need that bloody Alene!!

You did a great spot mate but a 9 p.m. departure was pretty lightweight by your standards. There could well be a raffle prize headed your way!!

I must confess things looked pretty ominous with the weather for Saturday. I'd had a couple of worrying calls from people attempting to head off from London on Friday and abandoning the attempt. No doubt the adverse conditions did deter some BUT there were many who risked the hazards and arrived from all across the U.K. Alan Paterson from Aberdeen, Nice English from Dundee, Alan Darker from Manchester, Ivor Jones and Richard Parker from London, all with their lovely ladies made the journey, along with so many other notables from the East Midlands. The travelling time doubled but hopefully they all thought it was worth it.

Musically it was as you'd expect - right across the board - and the soul police amongst us ensured that there was very little repetition throughout the whole twelve hours. The staff at the Bar Life made us more than welcome and every single one of the dj's involved proved a credit to the music we love, and on the day thoroughly justified my faith in asking them for their help. (They know who they are!!)

This was a commemoration of 45 years of soul music for me and I could not have spent my birthday celebrations in better company.

I'm sure coops will have his personal overview of the event, and hopefully without TOO many embarrassing photographic shots.

Honestly, I promise now not to correct any typos.

there was a feeling of togetherness at this celebration of the 'teachers' 60th birthday.

as above stated the weather was awful (unless one was designing christmas cards) but such is the respect afforded this man and the fondness he is held many people battled blizzards, snow storms and, scariest of all the lincolnshire roads to be present on this special day.

the tunes on the night matched the ambience of togetherness, the warmth of feelings and the beat of our very lives, pure soul music for a pure 'soul man'.

nice one chris and thanks for being the central part of a day which brough a very special warmth to a whole host of soul fans and helping bring that warmth to a freezing snow-clad seaside coastal town of skegness.

p.s. i'm saving the embarrassing photos to exhibit at your 70th.:thumbsup:

images on https://ournorthernsouls.org

Edited by coops

The weather didn't prevent some great music being played.

I was convicted twice by the soul police, but to be fair only the eagle ears of Nick Borst got the first repeat!

Just want to say how much of a privelidge it was to be in the company of some of the UK's top soul DJ's.

Happy birthday Chris, thanks for your hospitality and for inviting me along.

Great night, great people, great music.

Top day for a Top fella, me and chris enjoyed the day immensly, even tho i didnt get a badge :yes: all jocks did chris proud but my favourites on the day purely on enthusiasm were the birthday boy and tatts who were giving it large to every disc they dropped :)

Top marks to the teach for the insane raffle tickets all motown demo,s which i tested chris on 10/10 mate you got em all

In talking to tatts on the day he mentioned we were lucky people to have a scene like this with great friendships and knowing the emotions he has gone through lately it got me thinking, days like this need to be cherished

Must also mention jean and co for all the nice touches and the raffle good.gif

Rupes us heavyweights stuck it out m8 :thumbsup:

Pity about the weather stopping people getting there and hope all got home safe

and btw HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS

In my haste I forgot the efforts of Binsy and Bev to reach Skegness. The last time it took that long was when the man on the top of the stagecoach had frozen to death!!

Skeggy, the land of sand .....I don't think so, it took Mr Dalton and I 2.5 hours to get back to Lincoln in the fluffy stuff!!! The thing is I would not have missed this because Chris is such a soulful guy and a Gentleman.

A massive shout to everyone there because you always deliver either in converstaion ot the music played.

Sorry missed some of the late spots, particularly Mr Jackson, as we had to evacuate and don't worry Mr Dalton didn't get fined for going through the multitude of speed cameras on the way back.

Highlights of the night for me. "Chris and Tats Karaoke show behind the decks- the rebirth!!!" and of course Mick and Mo (nuff said). Big thanks to Coops for frightening me when I walked through Mr and Mrs Howard's door - nice one guys!!!

Here is to you Chris for Christmas Day m8 and don't forget to wear your badge.....we will be watching over you.

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan

In my haste I forgot the efforts of Binsy and Bev to reach Skegness. The last time it took that long was when the man on the top of the stagecoach had frozen to death!!

Wouldn't have missed it for anything mate, as has already mentioned not only a wonderful night but we are truly blessed to have such a warm and genuinely friendly scene. I've lost count of the amount of drunken ' I love you mate' throughout the night and rightly so. Loved double decking with bully and singing 'It was easier to hurt' as a duet with Ivor to alan Darker.

A great celebration for a great guythumbup.gif

raffle.jpg

Pity all raffle tickets werent like these,i,ll save the jumper scans for later on :thumbsup: also nice to catch u again binsy, btw who sounded more like dusty than garnet lol

best biz

Edited by Biz

We arrived around 9pm to an atmosphere that was definitely PAAAAAAARTY, PAAAAAAAARTY !! Chris and Tats in FULL voice as they sung & spun a bunch of Soulful faves. Lots of familiar faces from all corners of the UK and great to see so many there on such a special occasion, having braved the terrible weather conditions.

A real tribute to Chris and we felt very honoured to be invited.

Who's next in line for the BIG six-o then? whistling.gif ...........................Regards Dave & Donna x

Edited by Dave Raistrick

Wouldn't have missed it for anything mate, as has already mentioned not only a wonderful night but we are truly blessed to have such a warm and genuinely friendly scene. I've lost count of the amount of drunken ' I love you mate' throughout the night and rightly so. Loved double decking with bully and singing 'It was easier to hurt' as a duet with Ivor to alan Darker.

A great celebration for a great guythumbup.gif

It Was An Honour Mate.......!

Just in the middle of posting some cracking photos on Facebook!!!

SUPER NIGHT!!! for a SUPER GUY!!!!

Happy 60th CHRIS!

NICE ONE CENTURION!!!!thumbup.gif

Firstly I would like to thank Chris for inviting me along to DJ at this his Birthday Bash, it was an absolute honour to be asked my only regret is that we were working all day so dint manage the daytime session, I can only guess how good it must have been yes.gif .

With such terrible weather, it really is a testament to the high esteem in which you are held Chris, that so many made it at all!!

We crawled in Skeg along the (always terrible at the best of times)A52 to arrive at just before 8pm, find the party in full swing, we had an absolute ball , top man , top music all night !!

Things were going well during my spot until Andy Jackson proved his electronics prowess by unscrewing the top of the mic and pulling off the wires , so that left me a little quieter than normalwhistling.gif .

I even got "fitted up" by the Soul Police ,before I went on I passed a pile of 45s to Tats to make sure they hadnt got played before I arrived , he forget to mention that Bill Wright had been though and it wasnt long until I was nicked!!

Andy Jacksons face was a picture though,when he also repeated a tune , to see a real policemans face look so pissed off when the Soul Police nicked him , priceless !!

So nice to catch up with so many old friends and meet some fantastic Soul people there, the fact that we had an accident on the trecherous journey home ph34r.gif , didnt spoil the night one little bit, thanks for having us !!

Steve

Edited by sjay

Firstly I would like to thank Chris for inviting me along to DJ at this his Birthday Bash, it was an absolute honour to be asked my only regret is that we were working all day so dint manage the daytime session, I can only guess how good it must have been yes.gif .

With such terrible weather, it really is a testament to the high esteem in which you are held Chris, that so many made it at all!!

We crawled in Skeg along the (always terrible at the best of times)A52 to arrive at just before 8pm, find the party in full swing, we had an absolute ball , top man , top music all night !!

Things were going well during my spot until Andy Jackson proved his electronics prowess by unscrewing the top of the mic and pulling off the wires , so that left me a little quieter than normalwhistling.gif .

I even got "fitted up" by the Soul Police ,before I went on I passed a pile of 45s to Tats to make sure they hadnt got played before I arrived , he forget to mention that Bill Wright had been though and it wasnt long until I was nicked!!

Andy Jacksons face was a picture though,when he also repeated a tune , to see a real policemans face look pissed of when the Soul Police nicked him , priceless !!

So nice to catch up with so many old friends and meet some fantastic Soul people there, the fact that we had an accident on the trecherous journey home ph34r.gif , didnt spoil the night one little bit, thanks for having us !!

Steve

I hope the accident wasn't too bad mate. Obviously your taste was good enough to avoid too many fines by the soul police!

Your badge will be on its way!!

Jonathan cheers for the swap mate, hope you find summat you like :thumbup: pleased you and chris arrived home safe, bet his eyeballs were hanging out after that journey

yours badgelessly biz

I hope the accident wasn't too bad mate. Obviously your taste was good enough to avoid too many fines by the soul police!

Your badge will be on its way!!

No we were very lucky indeed in the middle of a blizzard on one of the worst bends on that stretch of road the car decided to take a more cross country route and we slipped off the road over the verge and ended up in a fieldph34r.gif ,the lucky part was that this was a wheat field not a ploughed one.

We all jumped out and and tried pushing but we were unable to get back over the verge onto the road.

Ive never been so pleased as when Kev Thomas pulled up with a car full of willing helpers and we managed to push it off the field and back onto the road,cant thank you all enough folksthumbup.gif ,so alls well that ends well !!

Steve

This must be a first Steve. People happy to see Kev Thomas and a car load of his mates arrive at the scene!!

Sounds pretty scary mate.

Pissing My Sen Laughing Chris ......... :laugh:

But Me Thinks as Kev would say

"You're A Deader"

I Must Agree with you though, I bet for Kev it was a whole new experience ....... :yes:

What is it with you, me and microphones! Everytime we get together near the decks it goes wrong. Remember the Mic at Soul Heaven!!!

Maybe we should carry our own mics in future.

Soul police were very unscrupulous weren't they. I have lodged my appeal and have been refused the chance to state my case so I am off to do my community service. A 1 hour spot at an Wigan Oldies night. Is there no justice.

Merry Christmas Steve and family.

An eventful and magical night it was , full of all sorts of fun and frolics and mayhem , just the way a party should be thumbup.gif ,although us Jacksons do seem to have some sort of mic curse though dont we Andy ph34r.gifwhistling.gif ,once again thanks for asking me over Chris and ................................................................................................

A HUGE THANK YOU TO KEV AND THE LADS,AND THE LADY ohmy.gifyes.gif FOR THE HELP.................

AS I WAS SINGING TO MYSELF AT THE TIME..................................................................

KEEP ON PUSHING LOVE!!laugh.gif

good.gifThanks to the best teacher in the whole wide world for asking mo & me to play a few at his birthday bash.

The amount of folks that made it through the Arctic weather that had battered the bad lands of Linc's to spend time in his company,really does show the measure we all hold this guy in.

Not only one of the oldest people we know, but also one of the most knowledgeable.

TOP MAN, top company,some great sets played all day.

Have a great birthday tomorrow sir.good.gif