First Time At The Pendelum

nrc

Was talking to a friend the other day about when we started going to the Pendelum in Manchester. I cant remember how

we i heard about this club ,maybe from word of mouth or in Blues and Soul. Anyway me,FS,RC,and JD decided to give it a wirl

We got the 92 bus from Stockport to Manchester, walked down to Victoria. I knew it was behind the Cathedral somewhere

but at first glance nothing. we must of gone round the Corn Excange about twice before stopping to ask somebody."Oh! you

want the MSG club"he said.Still now never knew what that stood for.Anyway in we went. A little corridor led us in where you had to

sign the book with your name and adress,paid our fifty pence or whatever it was and proceeded down the stairs. At the bottom you

turned right into the room, the bar being on the left,small bar stools and tables around the room itself,toilets at the back,DJs area at

the front. We were the first in at about 7pm. Barry Tasker and Dave White were there setting up. The floor seemed like a kind of bitumen

or something cause if you spilled any drinks on it you slipped quite easy. Anyway the place started to fill up and and soon the place was

rocking. I was gobsmacked ! the dance area was always heaving, tune after tune i had never heard of. I had to keep getting up to see

what was next on and who by. What a night we had. Got the last bus home, Chips and pudding at the chippy and on to watch the late

hammer horror on the box. Every Friday would go and the odd Saturday soon getting to know lots of people there. I remember we were

always about first in, a lad with long hair at the bar was usually there about the same time with usually some records in a plastic bag. i

always used to ask him for a look. I think his name was Richard Searling. Only joking it was Searling. then there was Barry from leve

his knickname was "barry big eyes". I used to always ask how he was, his reply usually "smashed" some kind of substance abuse i think.

Then there would be Malc from Stockport dancing legs going like a wild stallion, with the arms thrashing everywhere usually hitting

people on the head and body. But what a fantastic little club. I was only about 16 or 17 at the time. I was talking to somebody and he

said " do you go to the Torch in Stoke", never heard of it i said . He said we meeet up at piccadilly station at about 8pm on Saturday

I said great ill be there. And like they say the rest is history!

N.R.C.

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was talking to a friend the other day about when we started going to the Pendelum in Manchester. I cant remember how

we i heard about this club ,maybe from word of mouth or in Blues and Soul. Anyway me,FS,RC,and JD decided to give it a wirl

We got the 92 bus from Stockport to Manchester, walked down to Victoria. I knew it was behind the Cathedral somewhere

but at first glance nothing. we must of gone round the Corn Excange about twice before stopping to ask somebody."Oh! you

want the MSG club"he said.Still now never knew what that stood for.Anyway in we went. A little corridor led us in where you had to

sign the book with your name and adress,paid our fifty pence or whatever it was and proceeded down the stairs. At the bottom you

turned right into the room, the bar being on the left,small bar stools and tables around the room itself,toilets at the back,DJs area at

the front. We were the first in at about 7pm. Barry Tasker and Dave White were there setting up. The floor seemed like a kind of bitumen

or something cause if you spilled any drinks on it you slipped quite easy. Anyway the place started to fill up and and soon the place was

rocking. I was gobsmacked ! the dance area was always heaving, tune after tune i had never heard of. I had to keep getting up to see

what was next on and who by. What a night we had. Got the last bus home, Chips and pudding at the chippy and on to watch the late

hammer horror on the box. Every Friday would go and the odd Saturday soon getting to know lots of people there. I remember we were

always about first in, a lad with long hair at the bar was usually there about the same time with usually some records in a plastic bag. i

always used to ask him for a look. I think his name was Richard Searling. Only joking it was Searling. then there was Barry from leve

his knickname was "barry big eyes". I used to always ask how he was, his reply usually "smashed" some kind of substance abuse i think.

Then there would be Malc from Stockport dancing legs going like a wild stallion, with the arms thrashing everywhere usually hitting

people on the head and body. But what a fantastic little club. I was only about 16 or 17 at the time. I was talking to somebody and he

said " do you go to the Torch in Stoke", never heard of it i said . He said we meeet up at piccadilly station at about 8pm on Saturday

I said great ill be there. And like they say the rest is history!

N.R.C.

The Pendulum was the place that started me on this slippery slope also-September 1972 just after I'd left school, me and Ricky Warburton made our first visit, things were never the same againthumbup.gif

Baryy(Big Eyes) Robinson is no longer with us.

But Malcolm is still around and about.

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Thanks for reply Tony.

Didnt know Barrys second name. But only saw him again afew years ago seemed fine then

N.R.C.

Barry died earlier this year,I went to his funeral and then for a drink with a few of the boys afterwards.Barry was the smartest bloke I have ever come across,always immaculately turned out-------proper bloke

Steve.

Social source share

Barry died earlier this year,I went to his funeral and then for a drink with a few of the boys afterwards.Barry was the smartest bloke I have ever come across,always immaculately turned out-------proper bloke

Steve.

Saturday afternoon, straight out of Rowntrees, Barry sez-I'm going to the tailor to get a measured for a suit.

So in we go- Barry describes in the finest detail, size of lapels, number of pockets length of vent etc etc,

It sounded feckin' horrible

3 weeks later he's wearing it.

It was SPOT ONbiggrin.gifyes.gif

Tony

Social source share

Thanks Steve and Tony for the sad news of Barry. He was always fun to be around with and quite rightly always well dressed and groomed. I think he told me he worked at Burtons the Tailor. I last saw him at the Masonic club in Stockport a couple of years ago . he was with his wife or girlfriend and said he lived in Halifax or somewhere like that . He really was the life and soul of the party.

Thanks N.R.C.

Edited by nrc
Social source share

Nice memories...

The Pendulum was the first club I ever travelled far to (1974 I think) and I really enjoyed it. 100 + miles seemed a long way to a schoolboy in those days.

A few sounds I associate with The Pendulum... "If You Ask Me" by Jerry Williams, "Unsatisfied" by Lou Johnson, "Working At The Go-Go" by Butch Baker, "Crying Over You" by Duke Browner, "Last Minute Miracle" by The Shirelles, "What Shall I Do" by Frankie & The Classicals, "Everything's Gonna Be Alright" by PP Arnold, "Stop And Take A Look At Yourself" by The Shalimars, "Bok To Bach" by Father's Angels, "What's It Gonna Be" by Dusty Springfield, "Love Is Getting Stronger" by Jason Knight etc.

After the Pendulum closed we went to Va Va's in Bolton (where I remember hearing "Cry Your Eyes Out" by Dottie Cambridge) but we got kicked out because one of our lads looked a bit too young. We were all way under age.

And I remember buying 45s at Ralph's Records and HMV etc on Saturday afternoon.

Can anyone remember other sounds played at The Pendulum in those days ?

Social source share

Nice memories...

The Pendulum was the first club I ever travelled far to (1974 I think) and I really enjoyed it. 100 + miles seemed a long way to a schoolboy in those days.

A few sounds I associate with The Pendulum... "If You Ask Me" by Jerry Williams, "Unsatisfied" by Lou Johnson, "Working At The Go-Go" by Butch Baker, "Crying Over You" by Duke Browner, "Last Minute Miracle" by The Shirelles, "What Shall I Do" by Frankie & The Classicals, "Everything's Gonna Be Alright" by PP Arnold, "Stop And Take A Look At Yourself" by The Shalimars, "Bok To Bach" by Father's Angels, "What's It Gonna Be" by Dusty Springfield, "Love Is Getting Stronger" by Jason Knight etc.

After the Pendulum closed we went to Va Va's in Bolton (where I remember hearing "Cry Your Eyes Out" by Dottie Cambridge) but we got kicked out because one of our lads looked a bit too young. We were all way under age.

A night at the Pendulum than on to the Va-Va's, it would have been 1973.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Nice memories...

Johnny Moore-Walk Like a Man

Marvellettes-Only Your Love can Save Me

J J Barnes _Sweet Sherry

Earl Wright-Thumb a Ride

Dean Parrish-I'm on My Way

to be going on with

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Used to go to the friday night sessions at the Pendulum still have the sew on original badge too

it was a great little night

used to finish work @ 2 --then on train to mank

go to ralphs records only round corner near victoria station,always funny how he

had records in window--IN SUMMER--bet he sold them off cheap

also went Rowntrees for a beer / spin in -cross street--global i think

the market centre brown street )Swaz) stall

went pizzaland for pizza and jkt potato deal---about a quid

also had a beer in the John Bull pub back of Lewis,s

used to get last train/lift back to Crewe or on to nighter

with Frank Kaplonic (Cane) ,Mark Hooley or whoever was up from our area

place was always packed,brogues ,dungarees ,barathea blazer in maroon order of the day

or prince of wales suit

think i remember

donald lee richardson/saxie russell/bob relf

later i think Sam did spots there

Social source share

A few more sounds i remember well at the pendelum are

Getting used to the blues Bobby Bland

There's nothing else to say Incredebles

Walk like a man Johnny Moore

Its allright Ed Crook

Standing in the darkness Ethics

The Gallop I think Milton Wright [ not sure on that one]

Exus trek Luther Ingram

Cracked up over you Danny White

Im standing Rufus Lumley

I worship you baby The Glories

I used to call in at the Douglas (not there anymore) all the print workers from Withy Grove used to frequent it.

Only about 35p a pint at the time. and a good pint of Wilsons bitter at that,then hit that dancefloor.

Any body remember the Ritz on a monday night about the same time as the Pendelum. They used tp play the commercial hits.

But twice for about hour or a bit less Billy Butler of Radio Merseyside fame used to bang on some Northern. Used to make me

laugh because all of a sudden there would be lads doing frontdrops,backdrops etc. The regulars who where trying for a Monday night

pickup must have thought" What the f--- is going on here.

Social source share

Guest proudlove

the MSG club"he said.Still now never knew what that stood for.

Manchester Sports Guild.

The Pendulum was in the basement of the Manchester Sprts Guild building and was origionally a Jazz Club.

Incidentally there is a mention of the Douglas on this thread,that was the first pub I got locked in-----------------at 12.30 DINNERTIME----------the Landlord(a mad Greek/Cypriot-forget his name)had just taken delivery of one of the first pool tables in the country and decided that he would have a day of practise with the people that were in--------we were very p%ssed by the time he let us out.......................

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

The Pendulum was situated in Long Millgate Just round the corner from Victoria station. We used to come over from Huddersfield on the Train arrive at victoria station after a short walk round the corner past a typwrighter shop called A.B.Dick and you were there. I remember the sounds hitting you as you decended down the stairs.Dave White or Barry tasker would be at the decks.They used to start with slow stuff sounds like shoes&yum yum tree by Bobby Bland till the place was quite full and then kick off with a cracking sound introducing it like this is a sound ive recently acquired called Bok to Back by farthers angels it would start to play and there would be an instant reaction almost everyone in the club wanted to get on the dance floor. when the club was full

it used to get very hot and the condensation used to run down the walls.we used to go Fridays and at that time lots of new sounds were breaking on the scene which always got you on the dance floor.we always had a brilliant night there and have many memories of the sounds and the people on the scene.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!