Riley Smith Hall, Tadcaster

Guest Marsha Gee

• Replies 17
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I normally read threads on this venue by now.

Was it cancelled????

Thanks Marsha

Not cancelled - and big thanks to the promotors Tony & Tracey , Dale & Maz , Pat & Lynn for not taking the easy option , blaming the weather - personally amazed how many travelled so far and made the trip thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif .

Numbers down from the previous lockouts , but hey the magnificent Riley Smith Hall doesn't let sub zero temperatures , snow blizards , blocked roads etc stop one of the finest soul events in the land ... thumbup.gif

Expect others will post feedback , reviews and the DJs their playlists ( I will later) good.gif

Charity Northern Soul & Motown Revue @ HUNTINGTON WMC

SATURDAY 16TH JANUARY 2010

In aid of St. Leonards Hospice, York

DJ's Little Av & Pete Jay (Manifesto Soul Club}, Andy Bellwood (The Belfry, Taste Of Honey & Riley Smith Hall),Andy Hudson & Mike Ward (Soul & Motown Revue)

Huntington WMC,1 North Moor Road, Huntington, York. YO32 9QS Tel 01904 768370 Andy01904 441428 Mike 01904 340764£5:00 (8 till 1am) arrive early

Dates for your diary - 24th April 2010 , Northern Soul & Motown Revue, Classic Club Soul Night and more

- 10th July 2010 - 1st Anniversary Alldayer , Free Style DJing

Didn't get there til late due to work & numbers were down but that was only to be expected.Still seemed that everyone was having a good time from what I could see.

This is my playlist from the the rare/under played room.I dedicated my set to one of my best friends Jerry Brown who passed away last week,all the records he either introduced me to or used to rave about in my box that he didn't have......................

Barbara Carr-My Mama Told Me Chess

Teri Thornton-Molly Marlene Mothers Records

Gayle Harris-Ain't Gonna Let It Get Me Down DCP

George Freeman-Down & Out Valiant

Carl Hall-You're So Qualified Mercury

Robert Tenard-Gotta Get Goin' Fabolus

Roy Hamilton-You Shook Me Up RCA

Louis Curry-You're Just Plain Nice Reel

George Wydell-Funny Feeling TRC

Keni Lewis-What's Her Name Buddah

Lee Rogers-Sock Some Love Power To Me Premium Stuff

Doris Smith-No Good Guy Limelight

Harvey Averne Dozen-Central Park Uptite

O.V Wright-Into Something (Can't Shake Loose) Hi

Hues Corporation-Goodfootin' Liberty

Four Tops-Ask The Lonely Motown

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul

Ok numbers were down.Still had a top old time in great company.Our party started at 11.00am when we set off for our B&B right next to the Riley Hall.Left about 8.00 the following morning after freezing our nuts off - no heating at all in our roomangry.gif .

Here's a few from me in the rare room..

JOANN GARRETT - WATCHA BEEN DOING - DUO

JAMES BYNUM - UP AND DOWN - INTEGRA

TONI & SHOWMEN - TRY MY LOVE - TEN STAR

ARGIE & ARKETTS - YOUR'E THE GUY - RONNIE

ARCADES - THERE'S GOT TO BE A LOSER - TRIAD

FLAIRS - YOU GOT TO STEAL IT - RAP

JIMMY CHURCH - RIGHT ON TIME - SOUND STAGE 7

SONNY RHODES - YOU BETTER STOP - GALAXY

CHARLES FARREN - YOU'VE CHANGED MY WHOLE LIFE AROUND - HAWK

JO ANN GARRETT - WHOLE NEW PLAN - CHESS

INNOCENT BYSTANDERS - FRANTIC ESCAPE - PAMELINE

GERRI TAYLOR - EMPTY ARMS AND BITTER TEARS - CONSTELLATION

LITTLE CHARLES - TALKIN ABOUT YOU BABE - DECCA ACETATE.

Thanks to Dale,Tony and everyone involved in the Riley Hallthumbup.gif

This was my first trip to the do at Riley smith hall.

The day didn't start well - it took me three hours to get back from Manchester to Leeds, then our minibus driver phoned saying he'd broke down!! Luckily we managed to get a taxi big enough and cheap enough to get over to taddy.

I was really impressed with the venue on arrival, perfect for the type of event this is.

As has already been said, the weather and time of year seemed yo have really affected the numbers, which I personally felt affected the atmosphere which was a bit flat.

I don't think this is any slight on the promoters as they clearly put a shed load of work into plugging this night, and is normally a sell out. A real shame the weather put pay to what could've been an electric night!

The dancefloor in the main room was quite simply superb and so easy to dance on. I thought the music played up to about 7 in that room was fantastic, after that I spent a lot of time upstairs. Came back down later to sweat out the last 2 weeks beer intake on the dancefloor to some northern classics.

I did find the main room a little bit jeckyl and Hyde though. 2 people dancing to al Williams, Chrysler and the monarchs etc, but a relatively full floor to Tyrone Barkley and the likes. Found this a bit odd, but could well be due to the low numbers. Still, in general the music in the main room was great and enjoyable.

Spent most of my time up in the rare room.

WOW!!! This room and it's musical content is quite literally superb, right up my street. All the jocks who played in there were sensational. Really enjoyed phil's spot. Thought tony and john were top drawer, and the pinches twins did what they do best (other than having a good booze of course).

I'll definitely be coming back to the Riley smith hall. I'd love to see this event in all it's glory with a full house. There's something for everyone and all involved with it should take a bow.

Azza

THO' NUMBERS DOWN, STILL A GREAT ATMOSPHERE IN BOTH ROOMS (IMO). ME AND DAVE, HAD A BLAST. GREAT TO TALK TO TREV THOMAS, JOHN "O", GIBBY, MARTIN BIRD, KEV JOHNSON AND MANY OTHERS TOO NUMEROUS. THANKS TO OUR GOOD MATE DEK WHITE FOR GETTIN US THERE ANORL IN THE CRAP CONDITIONS.

DID ANOUR IN THE UPSTAIRS ROOM, OFF THE TOP O' ME HEAD HERE'S WHAT WE PLAYED.

EL ANTHONY - THAT'S WHAT MY LADY SAYS - STAR VUE.

JIMMIE BOHORN - I CAN'T SPEAK - DADE.

J P ROBINSON - OUR DAY IS HERE - BLUE CANDLE.

DON GARDNER - WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT BIG - MASTER 5.

MATTHEW BROWN - LOVE ME JUST A LITTLE BIT - SEW CITY.

ANTHONY AND THE DEL SONICS - EVERYTIME - EMERGE.

VOLUMES - I'VE NEVER BEEN SO IN LOVE - GARU.

ADMIRATIONS - YOU LEFT ME - PEACHES.

STORMY - THE DEVASTATOR - TWINIGHT.

STEP BY STEP - I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE IN THE BAND - ZAFIRO (SPAIN)

NICKY NEWARKERS - WOMAN - MERCURY.

TIMELESS LEGEND - I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU - DAWN LITE.

REACHERS - I JUST WANT TO DO MY OWN THING - MAGIC DISC (MONARCH TEST PRESS).

SATIN - YOUR LOVES GOT ME - SHELL.

UNIQUE BLEND - YES, I'M IN LOVE - EASTBOUND.

MIXED EMOTIONS - GOLD OF MY LIFE - EMI (BELGIUM).

IKE STRONG - I OWE MY LIFE TO YOU - BAMA.

TONY BRUNO - HOW AM I GONNA MAKE IT - HANSA (GERMANY).

MODERN IMAGE - GYPSY - PHILLY 76. :thumbsup:

BRI PINCH.

Looked forward to this for ages and was meeting friends from Burton (Hi Lindsey and David)

Left Newcastle at 10 past five - an hour later and still hadn't got to the Durham turn off - freak blizzards causing chaos and the A1 traffic was at a standstill. Turned around and so 2 hours from setting off and with 30 mile on the clock we got home!

Not for the want of trying eh!

Bah bloody humbug!!!

Shame about the weather

As Andy said..snow -blizzards--closed roads etc etc

In the end a couple of hundred got through

Here is what I played in the rare room

Stormy wynters Lifesaver Mercury

Lynn Terry I Got a Good Thing Going Lasalle

Milton and Winston You Lied Falstaff

Volumes Aint Gonna Give You Up Karen

The Intensions You Say That You Love Me USA

The Young Brothers What's You're Game Soul Power

The Icemen It's Time You Knew Ole-9

Walter and The Admerations Man Oh Man La-Cindy

The Magnetics When I'm With My Baby Sable

Imperial C's Somebody Tell Her Phil la Soul

Otis Lee Hard Row To Hoe Quaint

John and The Wierdest Can't Get Over These Memories Tie

Mr Lucky Born To Love You Stardom

Tiaras Foolish Girl Op -Art

Leon Peterson Now You're On You're Own Skylark

Jimmy Elledge Sad Town Sound Town

Sandy Hadley Since You Found A Love So-Char

Shirley Edwards Dream My Heart Shrine

Al McCarther His True Love For You Two Guitars

l

Twas a real shame that the weather affected the numbers at The RS Hall as it did at many other venues Sat for sure where the white suff lay, i know many folks who did not make the night either by running in to it en route and turning round and others who simply chalked a big F on it and decided to stay home. it was still a good un anyways

but keep up the good work boys n girls thumbup.gif next timethumbsup.gif

wicksy

Edited by Naughty Boy

A bit different this time for me - normally resident in the upstairs room , this time flitted between both the freestyle decks and those in the main ball room - double decking with Jeff Kidd (Wetherby Soul Club) who played some lovely 6ts beat tunes (including Manchester Playboys :thumbup: ) amongst others. Once done, hot footed it back upstairs for another change of gendre.

As always @Riley - thanks to all for comin' and enjoying the music. Only sorry we had to leave earlier than anticipated - so as to beat the big freeze outside

Freestyle room

BROWN SUGAR 'DON'T HOLD BACK' (BULLET)

KING DIAMOND 'A MESSAGE TO THE BLACK WOMAN' (POWERHOUSE)

EDDIE LOVETTE 'LITTLE BLUEBIRD' (STEADY)

AL SUPERSONIC & THE TEENAGERS 'KEEP ON WALKING' (UNIQUE)

DONNIE WELLS 'YOU'VE GOT MY LOVE' (SCEPTER)

WILLIE WEST & THE HIGH SOCIETY BROTHERS 'THE DEVIL GIVES ME EVERYTHING' (TIMMION)

Main ballroom

GABIN FEAT DEE DEE BRIDGEWATER 'INTO MY SOUL (FAMILY AFFAIR)

MARVIN GAYE 'LETS GET IT ON' (PAUL SIMPSON REMIX -WHITE LABEL) - request

CARL KENNEDY VS MYNC PROJECT 'RIDE THE STORM' (GUSTO) - request

LARRY BANKS & JAIBI 'MY LIFE IS NO BETTER' (KENT 6TS ANNIV)

DENISE LA SALLE 'TOO LATE TO CHECK YOUR TRAP (CRAYON)

GENE MCDANIELS 'HANG ON' (LIBERTY)

LEN BARRY C/U 'TURN AROUND'

HERMAN GRIMES '(I'LL MAKE YOU) SMILE AGAIN' (BOOT HEEL)

SUE & SUNSHINE 'IF YOU SEE ME CRYING' (COLUMBIA) - request

LITTLE HOOKS 'I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE YOU' (UA)

RAZZY 'I HATE HATE' (AQUARIAN)

Freestyle room

LULU REED 'KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING' (FEDERAL)

WILLIE PARKER 'YOU'VE GOT A FINGER IN MY EYE (PRESIDENT)

BUDDY ACE 'TRUE LOVE MONEY CAN'T BUY' (DUKE) - request

SUNNY & THE SUNLINERS 'NO ONE ELSE WILL DO' (TEARDROP)

EDDIE BO 'FENCE OF LOVE' (SEVEN :cool:

WILLIAM BELL 'ANY OTHER WAY' (STAX)

EUGENE JEFFERSON 'A PRETTY GIRL DRESSED IN BROWN' (OPEN) - request

CARRIE GRANT & GRANDEURS 'TAKE ALL OF MY LIFE' (NEW ART)

KING FLOYD & THE THREE QUEENS 'TIMES HAVE CHANGED' (PULSAR)

'There was a time' All dayer XMAS EVENT

Monday 28th December @ Kennedys Caf Bar, York

Resident DJs Soulmaster Jay, Barry Forth & Ricky Nelson.

Guest DJs Andy Bellwood (The Belfry, Taste of Honey & Riley Smith Hall), Pete Jay & Little Av (Manifesto Soul Club ), Mick Burnett.

Well after 22 hours in the company of Kev & BigPaul on Saturday my sides are still aching and I've got raging tinnitus:ph34r: Had a fabulous time - apart from a brief stint on the decks in the main room early on we spent most of the time upstairs where the quality of the music was top notch.

Must mention Phil Shields spot for particular praise, top draw stuff - as good as anything I've heard for a long time:good:

No negatives for me numbers wise the upstairs room was brilliant!

Well done Dale & Tony, see ya soon & merrry xmas:thumbup:

To All Who Attended

Well what a year !!

Maz and I would like to take this opportunity to give a big THANKYOU to you all for your

continued support over this year it is greatly appreciated, we hope next year will be just as good.

The weather was a big issue on Saturday, but to those of you who managed to attend THANKYOU so much.

a special Thankyou to all djs turning up considering the weather conditions.

not our usual lock out event but still a great day with great company.

Got to add music side-superb by all, also entertainment value by the Attic Boys- Excellent

( Kev, Steve and Paul ).

Heres wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and our Best Wishes to everyone for 2010.

Hopefully we will see you all in March.

Dale and Maz

Had to leave early from this one and thankfully just beat the worst of the weather

Enjoyed the time we spent there tho.

Heres my plays from upstairs--6.00--6.45

No particular order

Bobby Reed-- The time is right for love

George Jackson---I dont have the time to love you

Hal Frazier---Walk on by

Porgy Williams--Lonely mans hum

Jimmy Reed Jr---I aint going nowhere

Reggie Soul---My world of ecstasy

Joe Valentine--I lost the only love i had

Carl Douglas---Lean on me

Frank Howard ---Judy

Gary Dean ---You can say

Seminoles--You can lump it

Rocky Gil--Its not the end

Curly Moore--You dont mean

Greater Experience--Dont forget to remember

Hesitations--Is this the way to treat a girl

Tempos --Ill never forget

Clarence Hill--A lot of lovin going round

Beverly Mckay--Say it with feeling

I did find the main room a little bit jeckyl and Hyde though. 2 people dancing to al Williams, Chrysler and the monarchs etc, but a relatively full floor to Tyrone Barkley and the likes. Found this a bit odd, but could well be due to the low numbers.
huh.gif Dance floor full due to low numbers?that's odd!i thought the dance floor was full cos of the good music being played by the dj's (might not be what they wanted to play, but i thought the job of a dj was to fill a dancefloor whistling.gif ) so what you mean by low numbers is, that those liking the rare and unheard of sounds of soul were in low attendance and those of us who like the classic oldies and such were the majority thumbup.gif

No Bully, that's actually not what i meant, rather what you think i meant.

I saw some of the same people dancing to known stuff in main room also dancing upstairs to "unheard" stuff upstairs.

My point about the Al Williams vs Tyrone Barkely dancefloor reaction was in the context of atmoshpere re my post.

In my opinion, when greater numbers are in, you get a wider taste of music in the audience (obviously) but also, a much greater atmosphere is generated, and i tend to find that brings the dancefloor to life, meaning people often dance to stuff they dont know. Meaning DJ's dont necessarily have to play tunes they might not want to.

Those who like the classic oldies may well have been in the majority at RSH that day, but since when was Al Williams not a classic oldie?? Tyrone Barkley been played out on the scene for about last 10yrs, and a late 70's release, hardly a classic oldie, just a popular tune (IMO). I think in general the lack of atmosphere meant that the early spots, which contained some cracking tunes, went unnoticed by the dancefloor (had they been played later when number rose a little would've filled the floor).

As i said in my post (unquoted by yourself), i did spend time in the main hall, and happily listened to classic oldies played later on, and danced. As also mentioned, this music was great. Think i also said there's something for everyone at this venue.

Anyway, a good night seemed to be had by all, which at the end of the day, is all that matters.

I did find the main room a little bit jeckyl and Hyde though. 2 people dancing to al Williams, Chrysler and the monarchs etc, but a relatively full floor to Tyrone Barkley and the likes. Found this a bit odd, but could well be due to the low numbers.

No Bully, that's actually not what i meant, rather what you think i meant.

I saw some of the same people dancing to known stuff in main room also dancing upstairs to "unheard" stuff upstairs.

My point about the Al Williams vs Tyrone Barkely dancefloor reaction was in the context of atmoshpere re my post.

In my opinion, when greater numbers are in, you get a wider taste of music in the audience (obviously) but also, a much greater atmosphere is generated, and i tend to find that brings the dancefloor to life, meaning people often dance to stuff they dont know. Meaning DJ's dont necessarily have to play tunes they might not want to.

Those who like the classic oldies may well have been in the majority at RSH that day, but since when was Al Williams not a classic oldie?? Tyrone Barkley been played out on the scene for about last 10yrs, and a late 70's release, hardly a classic oldie, just a popular tune (IMO). I think in general the lack of atmosphere meant that the early spots, which contained some cracking tunes, went unnoticed by the dancefloor (had they been played later when number rose a little would've filled the floor).

As i said in my post (unquoted by yourself), i did spend time in the main hall, and happily listened to classic oldies played later on, and danced. As also mentioned, this music was great. Think i also said there's something for everyone at this venue.

Anyway, a good night seemed to be had by all, which at the end of the day, is all that matters.

TOO RIGHT!! merry xmas (and as you can tell i dont know what i'm talking about)

Edited by bully7
Guest lagerlout

Arrived about 5.45pm and was my first visit to this venue.

Id heard so much about it and was very impressed with it.

I enjoyed going down to the bar under the stage very novel.

The wife myself and the xgates mafia settled down to some outstanding tunes in the main room, the only thing was the sound system..could,nt understand the DJ.s when they spoke,and was a bit poor for a place like that.

I then ventured up to the other room were i was greeted by some good old friends ......The ATTIC BOYS.

some good tunes coming from within this little gem of a room.

The weather was closing in so we set off home around 10.30 ish.

a big shout to people who got out in those conditions to support the day/night

I think the numbers were low but thats down to the weather.

I for one will be giving this place another visit as it did,nt do itself justice in the

circumstances....Weather,and people in.