Kent Soul Club

Having just about recovered from a stonking stinking cold thought I'd give a quick review of the night and post my set list.

The roads weren't that bad on the night and we managed to get down there for a respectable 8.30ish. Dave was on the decks playing a mixture of 60's 70's & Motown. The venue (which if you haven't been before is fantastic by the way). saw a steady stream of dancers. I'd say there was about 70 who'd braved it in by the end. So not as busy as the previous session in November. But they were a good crowd who kept the dancefloor going all night. Highlight for me was seeing Paul (Bearsy) dancing like a good 'un to Blaze's We Are One that Disco Dave played

I played two sets. Here's the list but can't remember much about the order. I was smothered in the cold. Paarrrrp! Paarrrrp!

The Millionaires-And The Rains Came-Speciality W/D

Dream Team-There He Is-Gregory

Freddie Gorman-In A Bad Way-Ric-Tic W/D

Shirley Vaughn-Stop And Listen Promo

Dusty Springfield-Long After Tonight Is All Over-Philips Lp

Maxine Brown-Let Me Give You My Lovin' Wand

The Mob-I'd Like To See More Of You-Colossus

Ed Crook-That's Alright-Tri-Sound

Johnny Day-Good Time-Jomada W/D

Johnny & The Expressions-Shy Girl-Josie W/D

The Traits-Some Day Some Way-Contact

Jimmy Soul Clarke-I'll Be You're Champion-Soul Hawk W/D

Jimmy Ruffin-If You Will Let Me, I Know I Can-Soul W/D

Brenda Holloway-Just Look What You've Done-Tamla W/D

Spyder Turner-Tell Me (Crying Over You)-Bandtraxs (If you don't know this one yet have a listen and buy one. It sounds fantastic on a large system. So well produced and made for the dancefloor)

Cynthia & The Imaginary Three-That's What I am (Without You)-Big Hit

Ronnie Walker-You're The One-Philips

Chuck Bernard-Send For Me-St Lawrence

Junior Parker-Cracked Up Over You-Mercury Lp

Cah McCall-I'm In Danger-Checker

The Marvellos-Something's Burning-Loma W/D

The People's Choice-Savin' My Lovin' For You-Palmer Promo

The Metros-I'll Never Forget You-Rca Victor Lp

The Olympics-No More Will I Cry-Loma W/D

Melvin Davis & Steve Mancha-I Need My Baby-Sevens Promo

The Puzzles-My Sweet Baby-Fat Back

Storm-Can't Nobody Can Love Me Like You Do-Grapevine 2000

Willie Mitchell-The Champion-Hi-EP

Lou Johnson Wouldn't That Be Something-London Uk

Barbara Lewis-Hello Stranger-London Uk

The Whispers-The Dip-Dore

Jock Mitchell-Not A Chnce In A Million-Impact

The Volumes-I Got Love-Twirl

The Temptations-Stay-Motown 12"

Four Tops-I Can't Help Myself-Motown W/D

Sorry Micky I didn't have The Flirtations in my box after all. Next time maybe eh!

We all stayed to the end and enjoyed ourselves

Hope everyone else did.

Cheerio And Merry Xmas to you all.

See you at The 100club Party.

Kev

Home by 3.30. Still coughing and spluttering.

Edited by Kev Moore
  • Replies 20
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hi kev

some nice tunes there

i look fwd to sharing the decks with you at patching in march

whats the score with the spyder turner regarding a legit play?

Cheers Mick the set seemed to go down well apart from The Dream Team. maybe it needs slipping in at another time!

Look forward to Patching. I'll have to build a new set for that one now!

As for the Bandtraxs records.

Mick you Dog's bollock!

The Spyder Turner is 1000000% legit new release recorded (with a very much alive Spyder Turner) in Dearbon Detroit in 2007/08. It was co-produced by Dennis Coffey but unfortunately Uriel Jones and David Van De Pitte are no longer with us. Visit Bandtraxs website and it'll give you the full picture. Also listen to Pree. There's so many links to classic detroit female vocal in there. No eletronic backing here. Full on productions. Go Buy and help Carl get a return on his endeavour. Buy em for your mates for Christmas. Buy your dog one and your budgie.

Hope you're feeling better.

I'm slowly getting there.

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore

cheers for the info kev

ive just purchased my copy on your say so

im at work in the office today but still feeling rough......chest is caving in and how do you get so much

snot from a two inch nose......

regards moldie

cheers for the info kev

ive just purchased my copy on your say so

im at work in the office today but still feeling rough......chest is caving in and how do you get so much

snot from a two inch nose......

regards moldie

Good news Mick. Not the snot but the purchase!

If you feel you don't like the record when you get it home I'll buy it off you how's that. Have faith in this record it should be MASSIVE!

When you hold it up against say Standing On Solid Ground there's really no comparison.

Kev

Good news Mick. Not the snot but the purchase!

If you feel you don't like the record when you get it home I'll buy it off you how's that. Have faith in this record it should be MASSIVE!

When you hold it up against say Standing On Solid Ground there's really no comparison.

Kev

cheers for that deal kev

julie rates it as a great dancer so it must be good

standing on solid ground was awful imvho ....

With Ginger Dave on driving duties (obviously an ex boy scout with blankets, torch and whistle all packed in case of emergency - wot no Kronenbourg Dave ohmy.gif ) the trip over from Essex was a doddle. Good to catch up with Bearsie and Marie along with all the Kent regulars.

Smoker's corner was somewhat cooler than usual, short of only a couple of penguins, a Polar Bear and an igloo to give a ciggy trip the full Antarctic expedition experience. Kev K you certainly qualify as the resident Eskimo mate thumbsup.gif

Having arrived around 9:15 with numbers a bit scarce it looked like the big freeze would take it's toll but by 10:30 there was a very decent crowd in and the dance floor kept busy. Well done guys a thoroughly enjoyable night, thanks to Kev M for Mel Davis (it's a Cleethorpes story thing with Bearsy mate thumbsup.gif ) An earlier than usual departure saw Ginger D driving home through blizzards that even managed to make Kent look nearly picturesque thumbup.gif

Taff

Not much more i can add to what our kev has said thumbup.gif apart that it took me nearly 3hrs just to get to his house angry.gif

the journey to kent was fine good.gif only been to the function rooms once before a couple of years back and thoroughly enjoyed it as i did saturday thumbup.gif

was great to see ppl old a new and to have a pre xmas drink with everyone good.gif

yes moldie the spyder toon is frikin great and as kev says may go MASSIVE so maybe i may have at least 1 expensive toon in my collectionlaugh.gif

eventually got back to my house at 1.30 pm on sunday after staying at kev & imogens (cheers me dears )

hope to get back to not so sunny kent in the very near future

p.s thanx magoo for the lynne randell toon you played nearly wet myself when you played it thumbup.gifgood.gif

and 1 last thing before i leave you ...... big big thanx to our buddy frank for taking us there in the awfull weather and getting us back in 1 piece xxxxxxxx

Edited by soulqueen1

Fookin feezing outside but a lot warmer inside thumbsup.gif was great to return to the Royal function rooms again which is home to KFC and to be amongst all my best mates and it was a first time for me to be there without having to worry about what to play thumbup.gif for the weather conditions i think the turnout was a goodun and those that was there was up for a good dance from the off and i want to thank Kev for playing me and my welsh sheep shagging buddy Taff from the shite side of the Thames the Melvin Davis track thumbsup.gif great to see your goodself and Imogen again and you taste in tunes was perfect for the night i thinks Kev good.gif been to long since i have seen the welsh cockney and his lovely Wendy along with that Ginger geezer and hopefully see you a lot sooner next time shades.gif loads of others there but my brain is a bit frazzled to remember you all but then again it might have something to do with the countless beers, black Sambucas, tequilas, Apple sours etc etc whistling.gif

hopefully see you all at the next one thumbsup.gif

all the best and Happy Crimbo to you all

ps, keep up the good work Martin and Toni the system sounded the best ive known it to be shades.gif

Bearsy & Marie

Guest kent soul club

Great to see Carl's Spyder Turner track being played out. Provenance galore for all soul fans. It deserves to be exposed on a large sound system. Well done the 'family connection'. :thumbup::thumbup:thumbsup.gif

Sounded awesome, gonna get me one for Christmas!!

:thumbup:

Guest kent soul club

Thanks to all of you that braved the weather and made it on Saturday. I was still pooping meself on Saturday morning as to whether we were even gonna get in to the venue, but alls well that ends well!

Numbers down a bit due to the artic weather, and a couple of other local events (ska night and moddy type bands playing) despite our dates being arranged and publicised over a year ago. Hey-ho!shades.gif

It did turn into a bloody good night, and man-flu Kev played a belter. Disco Dave was spot on as well, playing for nearly two hours altogether- and all I could give him was his cab fare home! I owe you a large drink dave.

thumbup.gif

Had about ten people come up from a party downstairs for the last hour and a half, and four or five from the ska do for the last hour. Was a bit worried about the party people, but they paid up and were no trouble, just need a few dancing lessons! They were even asking when it was on again and took some flyers!smile.gif

Thanks again for coming, glad you all got home in one piece. Merry Christmas, ho-ho-ho!

Toni & Martin

Guest kent soul club

ps, keep up the good work Martin and Toni the system sounded the best ive known it to be shades.gif

Bearsy & Marie

Steady on mate, you even danced to one of my tunes! (Think Marie might have dragged you upwicked.gif )

Have a good Christmas matey.

Guest kent soul club

good.gifmy youtube of the night

Who's a clever girl then?! Very good vid Julie, thank you very much, and glad you had a good night. Merry Christmas ans have a good holiday.thumbup.gif

Bearsy & Marie

Steady on mate, you even danced to one of my tunes! (Think Marie might have dragged you upwicked.gif )

Have a good Christmas matey.

Yeah Marie defo dragged me up Martin whistling.gif when is the next one Martin ??

have a goodun and see you next week at the Club doo good.gif

Fookin feezing outside but a lot warmer inside thumbsup.gif was great to return to the Royal function rooms again which is home to KFC and to be amongst all my best mates and it was a first time for me to be there without having to worry about what to play thumbup.gif for the weather conditions i think the turnout was a goodun and those that was there was up for a good dance from the off and i want to thank Kev for playing me and my welsh sheep shagging buddy Taff from the shite side of the Thames the Melvin Davis track thumbsup.gif great to see your goodself and Imogen again and you taste in tunes was perfect for the night i thinks Kev good.gif been to long since i have seen the welsh cockney and his lovely Wendy along with that Ginger geezer and hopefully see you a lot sooner next time shades.gif loads of others there but my brain is a bit frazzled to remember you all but then again it might have something to do with the countless beers, black Sambucas, tequilas, Apple sours etc etc whistling.gif

Bearsy & Marie

bearsy remind me never to ask if your ok again at a soul do angry.gif you never shut up and half the time your talking a load of bollox laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif but was good to see you and marie ( especially marie good.gif )

bearsy remind me never to ask if your ok again at a soul do angry.giflaugh.gif you never shut up and half the time your talking a load of bollox laugh.gif laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif but was good to see you and marie ( especially marie good.gif )

Nothing new there then Julie laugh.gif

Marie said hello btw hatsoff2.gif

and you cant talk bolox wicked.giflaugh.gif

I think, considering the weather, and the huge bout of man flu that was going around it was quite a decent turn out. I heard some great tunes. Recently recorded retro sounds seemed to be popular that night with Bunny playing Frank Popp, me playing Kings Go Forth and Kev playing the excellent Spyder Turner's "Tell Me". Some the oldies I hadn't heard in ages went down well. How good did Earl van Dyke sound?

I played a mixture of stuff covering different decades as I said I would, but starting off and finishing with some typical northern soul in order not to be too radical J

Shirley Ellis - Soul Time - Columbia

The Mob - I Dig Everything about You - Collussus

The Supremes - Love Is Like a Pain Itching In My Heart - Motown

Jean Wells - What Have I Got To Lose - Calla

Ace Spectrum - Don't Send Nobody Else - Atlantic

Barbara Hall - You Brought It on Yourself - Innovation II

Four Tops - I Just Can't Get You Out Of My Mind - Dunhill

UBP feat. Bobby Pruitt - We Are One - Soulfuric 12"

Soul Bros feat. Joi Cardwell - Let It Go - Deep Soul 12"

Drizabone - Pressure - 4th & Broadway 12"

Mel & Tim - Forever and a Day - Stax

Kings Go Forth - One Day - Mr Cs