What's Been Your Favourite Venue Of 2009 ?

The Tempest

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

THE FAIRFIELD HORSESHOE FROM AMBLESIDE LAST TUESDAY, ICE AXE, CRAMPONS AND THE BEST SNOW FOR YEARS :thumbup:post-3338-12622734515246_thumb.jpg

Edited by Black Gold of the Sun
Social source share

• Replies 72
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

These for me hit the spot -

USOS - Totally superb top music everytime - Well done Kev, Martyn, Sharon and all guests for such a fantastic 2009.

Disciples of Soul - Pure Quality - John, Lou, Woody and guests take a bow..( Good luck with the new venue 2010).

Coppertops - This venue achieves the impossible - A successful "across the board" music policy., Don,John, Rob, Steve you are the Wizards of Soul.

Lifeline - Top Nighter, Top DJ's playing nighter tunes par excellence - Andy, Butch, Chalky, Cliff, Mick, Sam and all guests...could it get any better.

I wish you all a ....A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR...:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

So many different things make an event enjoyable its very hard to say. Sometimes even if the music is a bit...err...."not to my taste" shall we say, the company still makes the night. In fact I have been to the same place with different people and had completely different experiences also it really does depend on the DJ line up too.....not helping I know

Stoke and the Blackpool weekender.....The music's not gonna change your life but the 'event' is special in each case. Fantastic atmosphere, great venue, brilliant floor a total social occasion.

Saying that Stoke gave me the most irritating nite of last year earlier on in the year when one DJ's set was ALL DUPLICATIONS bar 2 tunes. Happy to say it isnt a usual occurence but If I can be arsed to drive 5 hours each way and pay £12 to get in the least he could have done was to pay attention...grrrr!

Lifeline.......Gotta be the best musically without a doubt but a bit hit n miss on the atmosphere IMO.

TOTS......New venue is great, love the two rooms, n Shaun and Pete, what can I say two of the nicest guys on the scene and promoters with integrity. You just know you're gonna have a great night.

For "Mein Hosts" you cant beat Warren Boogaloo and Kev Such at Boogaloo and Cream Cracker respectively.

For a 'Friday nite special' I mourn the death of Blueskies, Pete n Martins soiree always felt more like an 'at home' than a do.

Love Cleethorpes Weekender for the intimacy, its defo 100 club 'on tour' but nothing wrong with that.

Radcliffe NCSC was FANTASTIC as was Rugby but as Ive only been to each of them the once cant really say.

I'm defo a 'niter girl' and would choose a niter over a soul nite given the choice.

Helen x

Edited by outonthefloor
Social source share

TOTS......New venue is great, love the two rooms, n Shaun and Pete, what can I say two of the nicest guys on the scene and promoters with integrity. You just know you're gonna have a great night.

For a 'Friday nite special' I mourn the death of Blueskies, Pete n Martins soiree always felt more like an 'at home' than a do.

Helen x

Have to agree with you Helen on both these, but I would also add United Sounds of Soul for social and music, SHS my first visit there was this year and the music really did blow me away.

There have been 2 Friday night do's I have been to that have had that "Blue Sikies" feeling have been the "Sunflower Lounge" and "The City Club" in Peterborough.

QoFxx

Social source share

With a wealth of local nights to choose from as well as a weekender happening every other month , what's been your favourite night / weekend away for this year ?

Do you recommend any for next year or not ?

g.gif

Bridlington, quality venue and 5 rooms next year

Twisted Wheel Sunday Sessions for the atmosphere

Social source share

Sadly the dawn of 2009 saw the demise of the original Orwell at Wigan - the best Soul night by a country mile for many years. That left 'Soul Essence' - fantastic as ever - I've not missed one since my first in '99 and booked up again for this year. I've always said when these two pack in - so will I!!

However, in the nick of time Sean Hampsey and co came to the rescue with 'Just Soul' in November - always a lot of talk about play lists and policies at venues but this is the first one to have the bottle to play REAL Soul without the trophy hunting/hot boxing pissing contests you get elsewhere - the irony of course is that they could of done that as well if they so wishedwhistling

Mike

Social source share

Sadly the dawn of 2009 saw the demise of the original Orwell at Wigan - the best Soul night by a country mile for many years. That left 'Soul Essence' - fantastic as ever - I've not missed one since my first in '99 and booked up again for this year. I've always said when these two pack in - so will I!!

However, in the nick of time Sean Hampsey and co came to the rescue with 'Just Soul' in November - always a lot of talk about play lists and policies at venues but this is the first one to have the bottle to play REAL Soul without the trophy hunting/hot boxing pissing contests you get elsewhere - the irony of course is that they could of done that as well if they so wishedwhistling.gif

Mike

Thanks for that Mike - and thanks also to all those who mentioned Just Soul on this thread.

With so many mentions - and only the one night under our belt thus far- its encouraging to see that we must have got something right.

We're looking forward to building on that, with Just Soul II on Saturday March 27th 2010.

See you there.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

has to be BURNLEY.....consistently the best sets anywhere..the night starts at 10 and the music kicks NON STOP til 6......it never dies after 3 as so many others do , it never has a stream of folk going hame early as l have seen elsewhere.

Close second for me personally has to be LIFELINE ... both venues play great tunes and are full of top,top night time dwellers.

Social source share

Guest Adam G

However, in the nick of time Sean Hampsey and co came to the rescue with 'Just Soul' in November - always a lot of talk about play lists and policies at venues but this is the first one to have the bottle to play REAL Soul without the trophy hunting/hot boxing pissing contests you get elsewhere - the irony of course is that they could of done that as well if they so wishedwhistling

Mike

In total agreement with everything above Mike ( doesnt seem right agreeing with you). Like you gutted about the Orwell wigan.We will still get to the Bury one with you to give it a bash.

"Just Soul" though was the most enjoyable night for me last year (apart from Soul Essence w/ender)and looking forward to my visits to the old dingdong this year.

Also as usual Soul Essence weekender was the business music wise and company wise.

Locally the Coachman Darlington is a great little night thats building up nicely

Edited by Adam G
Social source share

SQUARE DEAL - Order Of Melbourne, 401 Swanston, Melbourne, Australia

Soul A Go Go - The Laundry, Johnson Street, Melbourne, Australia.

For their totally soulful, knowledgeable, non- dogmatic & eclectic approach to having a good time!thumbsup.gif Never the 'same old song'.

Social source share

I couldn`t agree more about the Orwell, it was my main stay event, loved it every month even when there were 40 in towards the end.

Interestingly everyone who has mentioned "The Orwell", "Just soul" and "Soul Essence" has never been to "A Dab of Soul" which is run on very similar lines....maybe that will be your event for 2010......

Cheers, Chris.

Social source share

Interestingly everyone who has mentioned "The Orwell", "Just soul" and "Soul Essence" has never been to "A Dab of Soul" which is run on very similar lines....maybe that will be your event for 2010......

Cheers, Chris.

I'll certainly be at the next one Chris.:D

Really looking forward to it mate!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Guest Drewes

The Bridlington Weekend, already booked for next year! :thumbup:

The Torch, it was nice to hear some good early tunes thumbsup.gif

And my fav monthly Grovnor Rooms, i never miss a month :good:

Debbie x

Couldnt agree more Debbie.... gonna be off the scene for a while but hoping to make the grovnor for my birthday... see you there all being well x

Social source share

With a wealth of local nights to choose from as well as a weekender happening every other month , what's been your favourite night / weekend away for this year ?

Do you recommend any for next year or not ?

g.gif

Manifesto Soul Club, Crofton Soul Nite, Friendship Soul Night's, Sunday Chill Out (HORSE @ GROOM ) All run by people with a passion for S.O.U.L. Nearly forgot..... the excellent York Soul Club, how could I ?

Don

Edited by DonKit
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert