Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers Dvd

phatspinner

Was bought this 5 DVD set for Xmas.

Wouldn't have bought it myself I think, but have really enjoyed seeing many of the original artists in the flesh so to speak.

I've read all the debate previously about the musical quality, validity etc but this does not bother me, I accept it for what it is, a tribute to and record of the artists we knew as black and white photos only for so long.

I also accept the new material as valid in it's own right without necessarily being what I would go out and buy.

However, I don't mind admitting that I got goosepimples just thinking of the buzz that the artists must have got from knowing their records were appreciated and that there was an opportunity to capture it for posterity.

Anyway I believe that much of it was filmed some time ago and many of the artists have since died.

What I want to know from the experts on here is:

1. Who has passed away since ? I know of Popcorn Wylie, Earl van Dyke, Bobby Sheen, Bobby Paris, Bob Relf ?, Edwin Starr, ?

2. Are there any stories around the finding of these artists and the filming of same, I guess there's been a thread at sometime ? (Not one debating the musical merits)

By the way it's only about £10 on Amazon which I feel is a steal for 5 DVDs !

Andy

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

SENT TO ME BY IAN LEVINE AND ASKED IF I WOULD POST IT

As I'm banned, and somebody asked this on All About The Soul, I'd like someone to answer his post as soon as possible please, with a list of who has died.

NORTHERN SOUL'S 200 GREATEST FLOORFILLERS

Wouldn't have bought it myself I think, but have really enjoyed seeing many of the original artists in the flesh so to speak.

I've read all the debate previously about the musical quality, validity etc but this does not bother me, I accept it for what it is, a tribute to and record of the artists we knew as black and white photos only for so long.

I also accept the new material as valid in it's own right without necessarily being what I would go out and buy.

However, I don't mind admitting that I got goosepimples just thinking of the buzz that the artists must have got from knowing their records were appreciated and that there was an opportunity to capture it for posterity.

Anyway I believe that much of it was filmed some time ago and many of the artists have since died.

1. Who has passed away since ? I know of Popcorn Wylie, Earl van Dyke, Bobby Sheen, Bobby Paris, Bob Relf ?, Edwin Starr, ?

2. Are there any stories around the finding of these artists and the filming of same, I guess there's been a thread at sometime ? (Not one debating the musical merits)

Andy

It was filmed in 1998 and 1999, most of it twelve years ago.

The following have died since

ERMA FRANKLIN

Two of THE ARTISTICS

WILLIE HUTCH

TOMMY RIDGLEY

JOHNNY MOORE

JOHNNY CARTER from THE DELLS

JOE STUBBS

Two of THE LOVETONES

SAM WARD

Two of THE CARSTAIRS

SAUNDRA EDWARDS

DORIS TROY

Lead singer of THE VOLCANOS

EDWIN STARR

EARL VAN DYKE

BOBBY SHEEN

One of THE DRAMATICS

RICHARD POPCORN WYLIE

C.P. SPENCER

Two of THE ROYAL JOKERS

Lead singer of THE OLYMPICS

JAMES FOUNTAIN

FREDDY BUTLER

BOB RELF

Lead singer of THE TYMES

RAY POLLARD

WILLIE KENDRICK

JACKIE DAY

Two of THE FOUR LARKS

ALL THREE OF THE TEMPOS

LITTLE ANN

EMANUEL LASKY

Whoever gets this first, please do reply.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

As I'm banned, and somebody asked this on All About The Soul, I'd like someone to answer his post as soon as possible please, with a list of who has died.

NORTHERN SOUL'S 200 GREATEST FLOORFILLERS

Andy

It was filmed in 1998 and 1999, most of it twelve years ago.

The following have died since

ERMA FRANKLIN

Two of THE ARTISTICS

WILLIE HUTCH

TOMMY RIDGLEY

JOHNNY MOORE

JOHNNY CARTER from THE DELLS

JOE STUBBS

Two of THE LOVETONES

SAM WARD

Two of THE CARSTAIRS

SAUNDRA EDWARDS

DORIS TROY

Lead singer of THE VOLCANOS

EDWIN STARR

EARL VAN DYKE

BOBBY SHEEN

One of THE DRAMATICS

RICHARD POPCORN WYLIE

C.P. SPENCER

Two of THE ROYAL JOKERS

Lead singer of THE OLYMPICS

JAMES FOUNTAIN

FREDDY BUTLER

BOB RELF

Lead singer of THE TYMES

RAY POLLARD

WILLIE KENDRICK

JACKIE DAY

Two of THE FOUR LARKS

ALL THREE OF THE TEMPOS

LITTLE ANN

EMANUEL LASKY

Whoever gets this first, please do reply.

Thanks for that information, it's far more than I thought and for me confirms the importance and validity of the project.

I presume that the artists involved wee thrilled to have the chance to commit their performances to film, before it was too late.

Were there any particularly interesting stories about the tracking -down involved, indeed the tracking down of any of the artists by others that could be related on this thread ?

Andy

Social source share

:hatsoff2: They are mostly dead but the 2 ARTISTICS ARE ALIVE However the other 2 are dead Caroline Franklin died a few weeks ago "REALATY" is a Fave of mine?

PETE WHAT are you talking about being BANNED? BANNED FOR WHAT!? IF YOU WANT THE SERVICES OF MY MATE £EX PARA MITZI THE CHOPER MAN JUST SAY THE WORD":wicked:

:ph34r: DAVE(be careful where you roam East London is my HOME) KIL shades George Davis is innocent?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

PETE WHAT are you talking about being BANNED? BANNED FOR WHAT!? IF YOU WANT THE SERVICES OF MY MATE £EX PARA MITZI THE CHOPER MAN JUST SAY THE WORD":wicked:

:ph34r: DAVE(be careful where you roam East London is my HOME) KIL shades George Davis is innocent?

Those are Levine's words, he's banned on here, Pete's just relaying the message.

That's quite a few died recently. I always think of most of these singers being in their late 60s, 70s at most. A lot seem to die quite young :sad:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert