Elton John/danny Baker

Rick Scott

Having a lazy lie in sat morning with cup of tea (as you do) listening to Danny Baker

and in the studio being interviewed is Elton John, (no i am not a fan) but i did buy the Thom Bell Sessions 12"

many years back,he talked in depth about his involvement with football which was to be expected

and harked back to his music days but it was his pre fame start in music that was interesting, running

around with his band in an old van earning £15 a nite backing the likes of Major Lance, Patty La'bell, and Long John Bawldry

Any one else catch this? would liked him to have touched on the Thom bell sessions and explain how they came about.

strange how the most unlikliest people became connected to our music as never thought of E J as a Soul/ RnB fan but

groups like the Beatles/Stone etc were. anyone on here go to any of these early shows that E J was banging away on

the piano? i wonder who else was in his band at that time? interesting stuff..............................................................

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I do remember Elton on a Radio One show about 30 odd years ago playing his top ten favourite records. One being Darrow Fletcher's "The Pain gets a Little Deeper". He remarked that he got it off Watford market on a London Demo.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Having a lazy lie in sat morning with cup of tea (as you do) listening to Danny Baker

and in the studio being interviewed is Elton John, (no i am not a fan) but i did buy the Thom Bell Sessions 12"

many years back,he talked in depth about his involvement with football which was to be expected

and harked back to his music days but it was his pre fame start in music that was interesting, running

around with his band in an old van earning £15 a nite backing the likes of Major Lance, Patty La'bell, and Long John Bawldry

Any one else catch this? would liked him to have touched on the Thom bell sessions and explain how they came about.

strange how the most unlikliest people became connected to our music as never thought of E J as a Soul/ RnB fan but

groups like the Beatles/Stone etc were. anyone on here go to any of these early shows that E J was banging away on

the piano? i wonder who else was in his band at that time? interesting stuff..............................................................

[/quote.]

I don't know about anyone else but one of the great things about Soul-Source is the fact that the site covers soul/R&B/northern NOT pop/rock and all the other associated mainstream rubbish. It's our own little oasis, so to speak. Yet, recently we have been subjected to threads covering artists and their so called 'connections' to black music that, in my view, have no relevance to our scene. First it was Hendrix now Elton 'F***ing' John. I, for one, have absolutely NO interest in these people and don't think they have any place on Soul-Source. I'm sure others have their own opinions ...let's hear them.

Social source share

[/quote.]

I don't know about anyone else but one of the great things about Soul-Source is the fact that the site covers soul/R&B/northern NOT pop/rock and all the other associated mainstream rubbish. It's our own little oasis, so to speak. Yet, recently we have been subjected to threads covering artists and their so called 'connections' to black music that, in my view, have no relevance to our scene. First it was Hendrix now Elton 'F***ing' John. I, for one, have absolutely NO interest in these people and don't think they have any place on Soul-Source. I'm sure others have their own opinions ...let's hear them.

Social source share

I do remember Elton on a Radio One show about 30 odd years ago playing his top ten favourite records. One being Darrow Fletcher's "The Pain gets a Little Deeper". He remarked that he got it off Watford market on a London Demo.

Regards Alan

That doesn't surprise me. He certainly cleaned out some shops in L.A. in the early 70's - at one point he had 250,000 records in his personal collection and a lot of that was from shops he visited on his first few U.S. tours. I went to several shops around South Central and asked if anyone from the UK had been there before and got told The Rolling Stones in the late 60's and Elton John in the early 70's!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

I am sorry Rob if i have offended you or any one else on here with the E J Post, that was not my intention,

I don't post on here very often but do like to come on site and see what is going on and on

occasion share bits and bobs, but i will not be posting on here again and restrict myself to

browsing, Would like to take this opertunity to the many friends i have on here that know or don't

know me a verry "Happy New Year", All the best to you all, Rick

Social source share

If you don't like it don't read it.....it's called Soul Source...not "Northern Soul Scene" source. I think Mr Dwight possibly and very probably knows as much or more about soul music than a large proportion of the members on here including myself. I had no interst whatsoever in the Hendrix thread as I can't stand him so I just didn't click..it's pretty simple really when you know how:wicked:e

Social source share

I am sorry Rob if i have offended you or any one else on here with the E J Post, that was not my intention,

I don't post on here very often but do like to come on site and see what is going on and on

occasion share bits and bobs, but i will not be posting on here again and restrict myself to

browsing, Would like to take this opertunity to the many friends i have on here that know or don't

Don't let the views of one person put you off Rick, I can understand if you were trying to push EJ as a soul artist but a post such as yours is totally inoffensive. Keep posting your occasional views mate. If I or anybody else feel that it could be upsetting to read we won't read it, simple really thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Hi Rick,

Thanks for posting that, I didnt know that he backed major lance in the sixties, as far as I'm concerned thats fairly interesting.

Also, for the record I happen to like a lot of Elton Johns music and if that makes me any more or less a fan of soul music then l I neither know nor care.

Rob

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Strangley, The Thom Bell sessions were recorded in Seattle. Here's Elton John singing 'My Baby Loves Lovin' for one of those 'Hot Hits' albums back in the early seventies, before he was famous. The White Planes had the hit:

Social source share

Rick you have dun nothing wrong m8 ,dont sit back cus of rob ,he is bang out of orderwanker.gif

Social source share

Hi Rick,

Thanks for posting that, I didnt know that he backed major lance in the sixties, as far as I'm concerned thats fairly interesting.

Also, for the record I happen to like a lot of Elton Johns music and if that makes me any more or less a fan of soul music then l I neither know nor care.

Rob

Bluesology (Eltons group) backed loads of US singers and bands when they visited the UK, they probably lost count of how many...Wikipedia mentions Major Lance, Doris Troy, Isley brothers, Patty Labelle. Are they soulful enough?

Social source share

Elton John played with British R&B band Bluesology, among others,at the Twisted Wheel in the sixties and is quoted as saying"it you wanted to make it as an R&B band in England you had to be accepted by the kids at tthe Wheel in Manchester first".The old adage about not judging a book by it's cover still holds true,what many artists play now,and have in the past,

may not always reflect the roots of their tastes.

Social source share

Elton John played with British R&B band Bluesology, among others,at the Twisted Wheel in the sixties and is quoted as saying"it you wanted to make it as an R&B band in England you had to be accepted by the kids at tthe Wheel in Manchester first".The old adage about not judging a book by it's cover still holds true,what many artists play now,and have in the past,

may not always reflect the roots of their tastes.

Truer words were never spake.

Many of the first wave of 60's acts were R'n'B/Blues & Soul enthusiasts from the Beatles/Stones/Animals/Yardbirds/Who through to Bowie/Bolan and Elton John, so not surprising really.

I am surprised that he's credited with doing that INCREDIBLE piano playing on "This Will Be A Night To Remember" though! That's one of my favourite piano riffs ever. In all the time I ran Salsoul UK I never knew that. Completely logical though. After all, the Spinners did the background vocals on "Are You Ready For Love"...........

I'm sure Rob was just being a bit crusty - he doesn't like anything unless it was recorded in Detroit in the 60's!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

It was a good interview. I came in the middle of it and it took me five minutes to work out it was Elton. He was comparing the relative wealth of Bluesology and The Ram Jam Band. Elton was in the back of a Commer Van whilst Geno's crew were in a much envied Transit. He said they were earning nothing (he'd a job on Denmark Street) and the Bluesology chucked it when Long John Baldry went cabaret.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Found that interview very interesting.

Who would have dreamed that "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" by the Scissor Sisters was inspired by Bo Diddley's iconic guitar riff?

Bluesology (Eltons group) backed loads of US singers and bands when they visited the UK, they probably lost count of how many...Wikipedia mentions Major Lance, Doris Troy, Isley brothers, Patty Labelle. Are they soulful enough?

Bluesology supported Doris Troy at the Twisted Wheel on 12th Feb 1966.

Soulful enough for me.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=sGiYV9BJfdQ

MB

Social source share

I've mentioned this before but I got to look at that huge collection of his he auctioned off for the Terence Higgins trust and there was a sizeable original UK collection that had for instance all the UK Chess 45s from say 66-69 with Reg or Reginald Dwight written in very neatly in that little space on the sleeve for exactly that purpose. He was a serious collector.

Social source share

Rick don't be put off mate, just rise above it.

Having had the privilege to know Rick for some years (and having learned loads from him over those years) soul-sourcers are very lucky to have the potential of Rick sharing his considerable knowledge on here...

Just my opinion like.........

Social source share

Guest suehey

me n Alan Day once drove down to Newquay with not much to listen to but Elton John's NEW !! (would it be LP or 8 track?) we listened to Benny and the Jets about 20 times, when I saw him recently we had a laugh about it...... what days!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue

Benny And The Jets for me thumbsup.gif

Social source share

me n Alan Day once drove down to Newquay with not much to listen to but Elton John's NEW !! (would it be LP or 8 track?) we listened to Benny and the Jets about 20 times, when I saw him recently we had a laugh about it...... what days!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue

Who? Alan, Elton or Benny? :D

Yes it was one of those sorts of records, quite ground breaking.

Social source share

Having had the privilege to know Rick for some years (and having learned loads from him over those years) soul-sourcers are very lucky to have the potential of Rick sharing his considerable knowledge on here...

Here here, or is it hear, hear? Don't go around apologising Rick; give 'em hell!

Social source share

You have nothing to apologise for Rick .

All you did was to point out something - out of genuine sincerity - that may or may have not , been of interest to SS members .

What you have done by posting , is that we have gained additional information - the fact that EJ played the piano on Eddie Holman's " This Will Be A Night To Remember " , which IS interesting , whether RM likes it or not .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Hi Steve,

I have known Rick for about forty years and I doubt whether I would have heard of half the records that I know had it not been for the DJ work he has done in the Scunthorpe area and spending a lot of time listening to his advice and records.

My musical tastes have never always been restricted to just Soul music, and whilst I appreciate this is very much a site for Soul people,it is good to learn from people like Rick among many other knowledgeable people on here, of other artists interests and roots linked to Soul music.

A happy new year to you,the better half, Rick and everyone else who contributes to making this a wonderful site.

Steve Thompson

Social source share

Here here, or is it hear, hear? Don't go around apologising Rick; give 'em hell!

Hear, hear to that and all...

How anybody who is a Soul fan of any depth can be ignorant of stuff like that Terrence Higgins collection you mentioned, the extremely interesting 'Benny and the Jets' Soul train appearance and his almost unprecedented record of backing bona-fide Northern Soul heroes in his earlier days - apart from playing on records - is beyond me.

Yeah he might be an over rated, egotistical pop singer but his deep affection for Soul and his direct involvement in the musical careers of so many Soul artists, most certainly makes him an interesting topic when he is discussing matters relating to Soul music.

How about getting in touch with him Ady? You might get invited over to the Mansion to do an in-depth interview for Soul source, where he provides lengthy recollections of his experiences with Soul Artists? Be a bloody good idea for a Radio 2 special if you ask me. Two hours, all his all-time favourite 60s and 70s Soul favourites and annecdotes in between, from the Wheel quotes to the Eddie Holman sessions...

Good post Rick.thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Tis a good point Rob, a lot of these frauds have indeed dipped in and robbed from Soul artists and only pledge their love for it when backed into a corner by media that know the crack, why do they not pay tribute to the artists they have stolen from or mimmicked when all and sundry are listening, Mick Jagger is original eh, well stick a Don Covay record on and then listen to the immitation, the phrasing and tone even to the delivery, only difference is, one dies in obscurity with only respect to draw from the bank while the other is minted beyond belief, I am with you Rob.

Kev

Social source share

Guest suehey

All three if I remember correctly, although I think Benny and the Jets is a v good tune if I ever hear it again I'll go laugh.gif

Sue

Who? Alan, Elton or Benny? biggrin.gif

Yes it was one of those sorts of records, quite ground breaking.

Social source share

Guest suehey

~I know there's a clip, I know can't stop humming the bloody thing, it's driving me madlaugh.gif

There's a clip on this thread,Sue..

Social source share

well stick a Don Covay record on and then listen to the immitation, the phrasing and tone even to the delivery, only difference is, one dies in obscurity with only respect to draw from the bank while the other is minted beyond belief, I am with you Rob.

Kev

Don Covay's dead? Must have missed the soul source obituary.

Anyway Don gave up hsi singing career to concentrate on the more lucrative career of songwriting. Chain of Fools must be a good pension for him. I thought he wasn't obscure enough to get plays on the northern soul scene.

Edited by Felonious Munk
Social source share

Anyway Don gave up hsi singing career to concentrate on the more lucrative career of songwriting. Chain of Fools must be a good pension for him. I thought he wasn't obscure enough to get plays on the northern soul scene.

What?? Like MARTHA REEVES....Strange ideas...g.gif

Social source share

I have memories of EJ on Desert Island discs choosing Bobby Paris- Personally , & waxing lyrical about his love for Northern Soul .

He mentioned touring with Major Lance and others.... who now slip my mind .

Never been a fan but credit were credit's due EJ is a national treasure and a SOUL BOY hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

My mistake Felonious, thought I had read it a while ago, he was very ill from a stroke in 1992 and looked to be on the way out, I stand corrected, but am still of the opinion somebody went to the bank off the back of this great artist.

Kev

Social source share

ame='Rob Moss' date='02 January 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1262438936' post='1226904']

Tis a good point Rob, a lot of these frauds have indeed dipped in and robbed from Soul artists and only pledge their love for it when backed into a corner by media that know the crack, why do they not pay tribute to the artists they have stolen from or mimmicked when all and sundry are listening, Mick Jagger is original eh, well stick a Don Covay record on and then listen to the immitation, the phrasing and tone even to the delivery, only difference is, one dies in obscurity with only respect to draw from the bank while the other is minted beyond belief, I am with you Rob.

Kev

I have had a few lengthy arguments on here defending the superiority of Black Soul Artists work but this post defies ration.

'By media that know the crack'....So what was the supposed devious agenda behind this interview then? A Radio Broadcaster who thought 'I know Elton is a phoney fraud who ripped off the sound of black musos so I am going to get him into a corner and force him to declare his love of 60s Soul'?

Are you serious?

'why do they not pay tribute to artists they have stolen from or mimicked when all and sundry are listening'??????????????

Yes I find Elton John a real turn off in many areas but surely a nationally broadcast Radio show interview falls into the definition of 'paying tribute when all and sundry ARE LISTENING'....

Care to mention any better arenas or chances for him to do so other than in depth broadcast interviews?thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

I have had a few lengthy arguments on here defending the superiority of Black Soul Artists work but this post defies ration.

'By media that know the crack'....So what was the supposed devious agenda behind this interview then? A Radio Broadcaster who thought 'I know Elton is a phoney fraud who ripped off the sound of black musos so I am going to get him into a corner and force him to declare his love of 60s Soul'?

Are you serious?

'why do they not pay tribute to artists they have stolen from or mimicked when all and sundry are listening'??????????????

Yes I find Elton John a real turn off in many areas but surely a nationally broadcast Radio show interview falls into the definition of 'paying tribute when all and sundry ARE LISTENING'....

Care to mention any better arenas or chances for him to do so other than in depth broadcast interviews?thumbsup.gif

Speaking in general terms really, the original post just prodded a nerve with regards to the Don Covay opinion that I have, wasn,t really focusing on the Elton John situation, just I can,t remember Rod Stewart coming on the mainstream thanking Bobby Womack for "Don,t you think I,m sexy" backing track which he took from "If you want my love", there are other examples, perhaps Elton was to be credited with championing soul music, but in general terms soul music has been exploited without enough specific credit being given back. In hindsight maybe should have kept away from the Elton situation.

Kev

Social source share

perhaps Elton was to be credited with championing soul music, but in general terms soul music has been exploited without enough specific credit being given back. In hindsight maybe should have kept away from the Elton situation.

Kev

Of course it has....but that is a fair rethink of your original statement, Cheers, all the best.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

How about getting in touch with him Ady? You might get invited over to the Mansion to do an in-depth interview for Soul source, where he provides lengthy recollections of his experiences with Soul Artists? Be a bloody good idea for a Radio 2 special if you ask me. Two hours, all his all-time favourite 60s and 70s Soul favourites and annecdotes in between, from the Wheel quotes to the Eddie Holman sessions...

Good post Rick.thumbsup.gif

Well the Darrow Fletcher mention was interesting as I'm working on his stuff now so perhaps we can meet up for a pie and a chat when Leicester play Watford.

Social source share

Well the Darrow Fletcher mention was interesting as I'm working on his stuff now so perhaps we can meet up for a pie and a chat when Leicester play Watford.

Yeah, I can just see it, pints and pies with Reg - he'll be asking you if he can do a guest spot in Oxford Street next!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!