Untapped Vinyl

watching telly the other night when a film came on with the mgm logo with the lion roaring,which made me think if mgm still had any vinyl stock left from years ago .and then started me wondering about other places there might be vinyl but we cant get to it. dont worry peeps i aint fishing never been to the states in my lifewicked.gif lol

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Matt Male

watching telly the other night when a film came on with the mgm logo with the lion roaring,which made me think if mgm still had any vinyl stock left from years ago .and then started me wondering about other places there might be vinyl but we cant get to it. dont worry peeps i aint fishing never been to the states in my lifewicked.gif lol

Labels like MGM and pretty much all the others ceased to exist a long time ago, except as part of the big four, Sony, Universal, EMI and Warner. I expect their offices and warehouses were cleared long ago.

MGM is now part of Sony. Sad aint it sad.gif

Social source share

Vietnam.

Legend has it that there's a mountain of vinyl, buried in a cave, outside Saigon, left by American GI DJ's when they pulled out.

All Major US labels sent plane loads of material out there, all through the 60's and early 70's.

Now the country is more accessible, I'm contemplating organising a search party! :thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Vietnam.

Legend has it that there's a mountain of vinyl, buried in a cave, outside Saigon, left by American GI DJ's when they pulled out.

All Major US labels sent plane loads of material out there, all through the 60's and early 70's.

Now the country is more accessible, I'm contemplating organising a search party! :thumbup:

Sean

Will you or Kev take the Captain Benjamin L. Willard role? With Air Cavalry support from John Benson complete with a Southern soul soundtrack ?thumbup.gif

Mike

Social source share

Vietnam.

Now the country is more accessible, I'm contemplating organising a search party! biggrin.gif

Sean

That's pretty plausible IMO.

In '95 I knew an Arms dealer who'd been out there and purchased a whole load of ex American military firearms. He was selling Colt 45's for about £40, he had that many of them.

He also said that he'd found an aircraft hanger sized building full of abandoned military Harley Davidsons, but due to import/export licence problems, was unable to get them back.

Sods law that if I went, all I'd find was a few Gary Glitter records 6.gif

Social source share

Full link below which makes interesting reading.

Just copied this bit on how records were selected for broadcast in Vietnam.

https://topicsinamericanhist.tripod.com/id19.html

How music was selected for AFVN. If music was not selected for AFVN on the basis of genre, then how was it selected? An AFVN disc jockey named Adrian Cronauer (who happens to be the man that the main character of Good Morning Vietnam was based on) recounts the procedure that companies had to go through, and still go through on Armed Forces Radio today, to get their songs played on AFVN.

If a company wants their record played on AFRS22, they sign the appropriate paperwork and give a master tape to AFRS in Los Angeles where it is recut on the AFRS label... These are the only records allowed on the premises and, therefore, the only ones you could use on the air."

Social source share

In '95 I knew an Arms dealer who'd been out there and purchased a whole load of ex American military firearms. He was selling Colt 45's for about £40, he had that many of them.

He also said that he'd found an aircraft hanger sized building full of abandoned military Harley Davidsons, but due to import/export licence problems, was unable to get them back.

and the motorbikes used in the Topgear episode last yearshades.gif

Social source share

Vietnam.

Now the country is more accessible, I'm contemplating organising a search party! biggrin.gif

Sean

Sounds like the story I heard about Hawaii with loads of stuff sent over to military bases & radio stations.

Think it was someone from Rotherham that told me, maybe Darran Arden? Also vaugely remember Pete Shirley's name getting mentioned.

Tell you what Sean, you check out Vietnam & I'll go & check Hawaiibiggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Sounds like the story I heard about Hawaii with loads of stuff sent over to military bases & radio stations.

Think it was someone from Rotherham that told me, maybe Darran Arden? Also vaugely remember Pete Shirley's name getting mentioned.

Tell you what Sean, you check out Vietnam & I'll go & check Hawaiibiggrin.gif

I'm thinking Dave Flynn must have already checked out Okinawa unsure.gif

Social source share

I'm thinking Dave Flynn must have already checked out Okinawa unsure.gif

Was about 30 years ago when I was told this but it's nice to dream I suppose.

And l'll check out Peter Shirley,not seen him for 30 years...Does he still live in Sheffield and l don't suppose he has curly hair....does he?? whistling.gif

Ditto.....

Social source share

There is somewhere in this country,where there are Harleys,packed in grease from WW2.

Kev.wicked.gif

Social source share

Tell you what Sean, you check out Vietnam & I'll go & check Hawaii:D

Haha!

That was me mate.

I was in Hawaii 25+ years ago and remember, distinctly, telling Darren about all the stuff I'd found.

I visited lots of place but hit on a place called Jellys in Honolulu who had bought out a local Radio Station.

I got a shed load, all stone mint, for 10 cents each, many multiple copies (Joannie Sommers / Sandy Wynns / Little Anthony / Loads of Okeh's etc).

They told me to come back the next morning and they'd empty the basement out onto the sidewalk for me.

Never seen anything like it. Tried to grab as much as I could before they all melted in the summer heat.

Got away with around 1,000 45's... for 100 bucks!

And I remember how grateful they were for taking the stuff that nobody else wanted and how they thanked me kindly for my business! :thumbsup:

Aloha!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Haha!

That was me mate.

I was in Hawaii 25+ years ago and remember, distinctly, telling Darren about all the stuff I'd found.

I visited lots of place but hit on a place called Jellys in Honolulu who had bought out a local Radio Station.

I got a shed load, all stone mint, for 10 cents each, many multiple copies (Joannie Sommers / Sandy Wynns / Little Anthony / Loads of Okeh's etc).

They told me to come back the next morning and they'd empty the basement out onto the sidewalk for me.

Never seen anything like it. Tried to grab as much as I could before they all melted in the summer heat.

Got away with around 1,000 45's... for 100 bucks!

And I remember how grateful they were for taking the stuff that nobody else wanted and how they thanked me kindly for my business! :thumbsup:

Aloha!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Your visit made such an impression , that Steve McGarrett modelled himself on you :lol: .

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou to you and yours mate! :lol:

But I always thought I was more the Tom Selleck type! rolleyes.gif

:thumbsup:

Sean

TS modelled his role in Magnum PI on you :thumbup: .

Malc Burton

Social source share

In my avid collecting days I found a big shop in the US, as I walked in the door the owner was about to leave for a 2 week vacation, having found out he had some soul stuff I begged him to let me have a look at what else he had. He said he did not have time and the basement went back a block and was filled with boxes of vinyl. He instructed one of his shop assistants to go down to the basement and bring up 6 boxes and that would have to do, he went off on his hols and up came 6 boxes from the basement.

One box was full of Supremes, ''He's all I got'', one was full of Bobby Taylor ''Blessed'' the other 4 contained some Ric-Tic a copy of 'Cant stop looking', Golden World best was 'Heart trouble'and 70's stuff, I took a dozen Supremes and BT and a few others, no matter what I did I could not get the guy in the shop to bring me any more up from the basement. I was working out there and left the US next day !

This was around 10 years ago, have rang the guy since and asked if he would service a wants list and the answer was always NO, come over and have a look ! Never did though ,,,,

The stuff may still be out there LOL !

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

hatsoff2.gif IF I REMEMER THE 1ST RADIO CAROLINE SHIP (NOT THE MI AMEGO) SANK IN THE BRIMEY WITH ALL STUFF STILL ON BOARD? ALL THOSE UK DEMOSph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Dave, check out the film "The Boat That Sunk". All those UK demo's was exactly what I was thinking when watching the ship go down. sad.gif

Social source share

Vietnam.

Sean

I also have been told this by a friend who now lives in Thailand,he does not collect records or owt just young ladies.

On a different note..there is an old USAF base over here that is used for storage of air force personell stuff/shop stock stuff/plant& Machinery/Transport etc,every so often they hold general sale auctions here,a mate of mine went and picked about 5,000 LPs all USA issued stuff,as well as one of them great big fridge things amongst other stuff.

I know where it is........but i aint telling just yet ,gotta go and have a look for myself

Social source share

whistlingUrban myth ? US Airforce bases full of records?

Not in the UK anyway=anyone on here Know PAT BLAKER?

Knew him in the 80s---he had a contact where he visited all the US bases-no a single 45 in sight for years-or he'd have bought them all !!

Even the radio was streamed from the USA-anything old they dumped into landfill sites-now is that why Tats and Chris Forrest both moved to Lincolnshire :laugh:

Social source share

yes i know blakerman he lived in the cambridge area until a couple of years ago he got made redundant could not find another job in the cambs area so he sold mos of his records and moved back to his birthplace manchester i believe now working as a manc postie,he had a brill record collection i think a lot went to manny still think he has got his near complete "okeh" collection inc lps,i used to see him 3/4 years ago at soul nights around the cambs,letchworth,bedfords,kettering,nice bloke is pat,still a man city season ticket holder i believe,unsure.gifph34r.gifthumbup.gif

Social source share

yes i know blakerman he lived in the cambridge area until a couple of years ago he got made redundant could not find another job in the cambs area so he sold most of his records and moved back to his birthplace manchester i believe now working as a manc postie,he had a brill record collection i think a lot went to manny still think he has got his near complete "okeh" collection inc lps,i used to see him 3/4 years ago at soul nights around the cambs,letchworth,bedfords,kettering,nice bloke is pat,still a man city season ticket holder i believe,unsure.gifph34r.gifthumbup.gif

Social source share

And l'll check out Peter Shirley,not seen him for 30 years...Does he still live in Sheffield and l don't suppose he has curly hair....does he?? whistling.gif

Hi Phil,

Pete's living in Denmark. I heard from him over Christmas - and he's fine. Not sure about the curls (more tight waves?!) but definately greyer! Cheers. Robin

Social source share

yes i know blakerman he lived in the cambridge area until a couple of years ago he got made redundant could not find another job in the cambs area so he sold mos of his records and moved back to his birthplace manchester i believe now working as a manc postie,he had a brill record collection i think a lot went to manny still think he has got his near complete "okeh" collection inc lps,i used to see him 3/4 years ago at soul nights around the cambs,letchworth,bedfords,kettering,nice bloke is pat,still a man city season ticket holder i believe,unsure.gifph34r.gifthumbup.gif

Great to hear that, wasn't he married to an Amercian at one point ? I remember him telling us that he took her to a Northern "Do" and because all the blokes were dancing on their own she called them FAGs and walked out !!laugh.giflaugh.gif

also wasn't he living over in the USA-West Palm Beach ?-at one point-thats where he picked up tons of the stuff--evrything had to be MINT !

anyone else seen him ?

Social source share

Great to hear that, wasn't he married to an Amercian at one point ? I remember him telling us that he took her to a Northern "Do" and because all the blokes were dancing on their own she called them FAGs and walked out !!:laugh::laugh:

also wasn't he living over in the USA-West Palm Beach ?-at one point-thats where he picked up tons of the stuff--evrything had to be MINT !

anyone else seen him ?

karen+rob,pat also told me about the "fag" incident it was at the p.office club in peterborough a few years ago,dont think he is married any more,he also sold all his lammy scooters around the same time as he sold his records,have lost his mobile number,pat does know tony parker who i know is a s/s member he used to do a bit of vinyl wheeling and dealing with him,:unsure::ph34r:
Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Great to hear that, wasn't he married to an Amercian at one point ? I remember him telling us that he took her to a Northern "Do" and because all the blokes were dancing on their own she called them FAGs and walked out !!laugh.giflaugh.gif

anyone else seen him ?

Last saw him about 5-6 years ago down at Desborough, Kettering? And somewhere else after that, but hadn't saw him for years before that.

Used to see him every month back in the 90's in the West Midlands on his return trips from business away. Top geezer patrick, was always on about his collection. Had a card from him with his address, a place called Eaton Socn, Cambs.

Would be good to catch up with him again.

Martyn

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

what about the archived music sources of BBC and so on. there are sound recording archives around the world and maybe there would be some old stuff in there that sadly we would love to raid and get hold of.

i know in London it's at the big liabray wouldn't mind a search, once went in but couldn't get even to read a book they was asking about passes as if i need one to get into a liabray to read a book

Social source share

Sean

I went 10 years ago to ho chi min ( saigon) and all i picked up was a lamberetta sx 200 , i went to the oid radio station that the us had during the war. But was then called ( when i visited) the peoples republic broadcasting centre or summat like that. On asking a guard about records etc , i suddenly felt a bit uneasy as the country at the time was pretty new place for tourists and he looked like i should not be asking questions.

I spent two weeks trawling all ex GI surples stores ( military stuff going cheap ) not even a sniff of vinyl. My last day in Ho Chi Min was spent sipping beer Ho from a street vendor and i saw a small kid with an american 45 clicking it down a pile of railings. I ran after him to ask him where he found it ; he ran off probobaly thinking i was some sort of deviant.

I hope somebody else has some luck there. I did here rumours whilst there of lots of "left US " stuff being trashed by the communists

pete M

Social source share

My last day in Ho Chi Min was spent sipping beer Ho from a street vendor and i saw a small kid with an american 45 clicking it down a pile of railings. I ran after him to ask him where he found it ; he ran off probobaly thinking i was some sort of deviant.

I hope somebody else has some luck there. I did here rumours whilst there of lots of "left US " stuff being trashed by the communists

pete M

The kid had obviously found... the cave!

:thumbup:

Social source share

I think the next loads of untapped vinyl are likely to come from some of the bigger Publishing houses who will be digitizing their music files and probably dumping their vinyl samples (which none of 'em can play anyway because no record/publishing companies possess record players anymore LOL).....

....certainly quite a few of the UK publishers have vinyl archives which no one can be bothered with anymore. I saw a couple of these archives in the late 80's and they held all manner of stuff including plenty of U.S. 45's which their U.S. affiliates sent over......

....I managed to get into the original Decca/London archives in the mid 70's and that was amazing! A full room with 7" U.S. and U.K. vinyl racked out from floor to ceiling. I found many of the bigger U.S. Decca, Coral, Brunswick releases there at the time.......

...also the last time I was in New York I got offered 150,000 45's which had been filtered out of one of the U.S. sound archives, so there are untapped vinyl stashes out there so keep your eyes and ears open 'cos that's where the next hit will be from IMO.......

Ian D :D

Social source share

I think the next loads of untapped vinyl are likely to come from some of the bigger Publishing houses who will be digitizing their music files and probably dumping their vinyl samples (which none of 'em can play anyway because no record/publishing companies possess record players anymore LOL).....

....certainly quite a few of the UK publishers have vinyl archives which no one can be bothered with anymore. I saw a couple of these archives in the late 80's and they held all manner of stuff including plenty of U.S. 45's which their U.S. affiliates sent over......

....I managed to get into the original Decca/London archives in the mid 70's and that was amazing! A full room with 7" U.S. and U.K. vinyl racked out from floor to ceiling. I found many of the bigger U.S. Decca, Coral, Brunswick releases there at the time.......

...also the last time I was in New York I got offered 150,000 45's which had been filtered out of one of the U.S. sound archives, so there are untapped vinyl stashes out there so keep your eyes and ears open 'cos that's where the next hit will be from IMO.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

when you went into the decca/london archive, couldnt you have shoved a few down ye kecks thumbup.gif

Social source share

Hi Phil,

Pete's living in Denmark. I heard from him over Christmas - and he's fine. Not sure about the curls (more tight waves?!) but definately greyer! Cheers. Robin

Alright Robin.. Saw Pete at Southport in November he was on good form. He never mentioned Denmark or maybe he did you know what the weekenders are like!

Social source share

when you went into the decca/london archive, couldnt you have shoved a few down ye kecks :thumbup:

Well, I'm renowned for my immense appendage so there would have been a few too many records to comfortably fit within the limited amount of space available. :laugh:

I did manage to snag a Lada Edmund Jr, a Johnny Caswell, a Sweet Three and a few other choice bits. Had to sneak in during a lunch break, so in and out within 30 minutes which is the story of my life..........

Social source share

Well, I'm renowned for my immense appendage so there would have been a few too many records to comfortably fit within the limited amount of space available. :laugh:

I did manage to snag a Lada Edmund Jr, a Johnny Caswell, a Sweet Three and a few other choice bits. Had to sneak in during a lunch break, so in and out within 30 minutes which is the story of my life..........

your a proper stayer then mate, wonder what i could snatch in 2 mins lol

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!