• Replies 68
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Two designs and 3 times according to Mr Rimmers site

https://www.soulfulki...sic.net/cat.htm

https://www.popsike.c...xt=purple+mundi

Dont' know about price as they don't seem to come up that much.

I reall love Man In The Sky which from memory is billed as Carlos Wright with Purple Mundi or something like that.....

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Two designs and 3 times according to Mr Rimmers site

https://www.soulfulki...sic.net/cat.htm

https://www.popsike.c...xt=purple+mundi

Dont' know about price as they don't seem to come up that much.

I reall love Man In The Sky which from memory is billed as Carlos Wright with Purple Mundi or something like that.....

thats the one to have cartoon designthumbsup.gif i would think £1000 only cause i have itshades.gif

Social source share

£1000? I wouldn't pay £10 for that pile of elephants excrement laugh.gif

nearly as bad as Jimmy Bo Horne - I Just Can't Sing.

Must be that sunshine down in Florida, makes people out out horrendous records.

So you put Purple Mundi and Jimmy Bo Horne in your Carstairs league then Pete...rolleyes.gif your take on what constitutes poor soul tunes never ceases to amaze...no.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

got 3 of the 4 and i love emtongue.gif

But do you really Ted, do you really? You have a thousand records better than those.They all sound like 10 bob soul pack rubbish to me, if they weren't £1000 tunes would anyone like them? Jimmie Bo Horne is just a poor rewrite of My Cherie Amour. Purple Mundi is a pedestrian early 70's snore enducer, George lemons is so bad a word hasn't been invented to describe it and George Hobson is a nondescript mess.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Yep.....got any more stone soul tunes on your list....?

Soul or Northern Soul? I'm only into Northern Soul, got no interest in dull standard soul music. Those four records, if they are Northern Soul, are just dull, lifeless records and they don't match my criteria of what good Northern Soul is, and before you ask, off the top of mu head

jimmie raye

little ann

dynamics on rca

bari track

frantic escape

yum yums

shoes

headlines

lou pride

monique

please let me in

empires

fidels

and so on...exciting records...make you want to dance, not fall asleep

Social source share

I asked for information about Purple Mundi not for opinions so if you don't have anything worthwhile to add please leave this thread alone.

Up yours Benji, when you start running the forum then you can tell me what to do, but you don't, so don't read it if you don't like it.

Social source share

I asked for information about Purple Mundi not for opinions so if you don't have anything worthwhile to add please leave this thread alone.

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack your thread...but all threads throw off some tangents....it's what happens, as I'm sure you know.

I'm sure there's an earlier thread discussing the various releases of Purple Mundi, which you you should be able to find.....3 releases I believe...yes.gif

Social source share

Up yours Benji, when you start running the forum then you can tell me what to do, but you don't, so don't read it if you don't like it.

Yeh,he dont mind posting rubbish c/u's then selling em' in look in your box for silly dosh........if you dont like what Pete says ignore him,easy in it.biggrin.gif

Edited by ken
Social source share

Bullshit. I take it you welcome people to discuss your prices in your sales threads?

Is this a sales thread? No. You asked for information on a record, I gave you some information, I told you it was rubbish. How dare you tell people they can't post on a thread.

Social source share

Just reading this thread today with absolute amazement!!!:lol: Since when are people not allowed to post up a few opinions on here? My God - if each and every thread was limited 'just' to the exact content of the title header, them some of the best and most worthwhile debates we have on here would never have happened...

Social source share

Well said, could not agree more!!

I have not been on this site for a while but as soon as I do, I have to read negative rubbish from someone I am thinking is bored and just wants to stir up a bit of reaction!

Hope you get the info you are after!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Well said, could not agree more!!

I have not been on this site for a while but as soon as I do, I have to read negative rubbish from someone I am thinking is bored and just wants to stir up a bit of reaction!

Hope you get the info you are after!

dude, you obviously have not been here for a while, soul source is 99% haters, get used to it

i really like both sides of this record by the way, i had never seen the really rare 3rd version until alan kitchner had it on ebay recently.

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

Just reading this thread today with absolute amazement!!!:thumbup: Since when are people not allowed to post up a few opinions on here? My God - if each and every thread was limited 'just' to the exact content of the title header, them some of the best and most worthwhile debates we have on here would never have happened...

Stick to the thread if you haven't got anything worthwhile to say -shut it:P

Social source share

Here's another tangent.....I've had my copy since the early 80's, bought it off Mark "Many A Time" Chackett.......oops digressing on a tangent, that'll get me into trouble huh.gif ....anyhow....it's just occurred to me that I don't know anything about the group....anyone any wiser on the details ??? g.gif

Social source share

Here's another tangent.....I've had my copy since the early 80's, bought it off Mark "Many A Time" Chackett.......oops digressing on a tangent, that'll get me into trouble huh.gif ....anyhow....it's just occurred to me that I don't know anything about the group....anyone any wiser on the details ??? g.gif

Just found this.....

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/101080

Puple Mundi = The Wright Family....

....and it never occurred to me that Milton Wright and Betty Wright might be related.....doh...whistling.gif

Social source share

Just found this.....

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/101080

Puple Mundi = The Wright Family....

....and it never occurred to me that Milton Wright and Betty Wright might be related.....doh...whistling.gif

That's only really a part of the story Cliff. Carlos Wright and other members of the Wright family are indeed the group on the "Man From The Sky" side of the last release but "Stop Hurting Me Baby" itself doesn't feature them: on leads at least. The vocal group on that track was comprised of Willie Clarke and Clarence Reid with personnel unknown; the name was plucked out of the air and the group had no permanent membership as such. By all accounts it did well enough in the local market to sell pretty well and prompt the two re-pressings (borne out by the quantity of the SHMB/I'll Never Understand version about, enough that it could never be considered as a genuine rarity).

Bob's post above about the variant with "I Believe" is interesting: the Miami musical historian Jeff Lemlich had heard of it but never actually seen one, so it's nice to find out that it does actually exist. Did Kitch buy or sell this one via ebay? Over to him I suppose.

Social source share

That's only really a part of the story Cliff. Carlos Wright and other members of the Wright family are indeed the group on the "Man From The Sky" side of the last release but "Stop Hurting Me Baby" itself doesn't feature them: on leads at least. The vocal group on that track was comprised of Willie Clarke and Clarence Reid with personnel unknown; the name was plucked out of the air and the group had no permanent membership as such. By all accounts it did well enough in the local market to sell pretty well and prompt the two re-pressings (borne out by the quantity of the SHMB/I'll Never Understand version about, enough that it could never be considered as a genuine rarity).

Bob's post above about the variant with "I Believe" is interesting: the Miami musical historian Jeff Lemlich had heard of it but never actually seen one, so it's nice to find out that it does actually exist. Did Kitch buy or sell this one via ebay? Over to him I suppose.

i think it was flip side on 2 occasions probably put there to cut costs . is there proof from local miami charts to suggest it sold well. i thought the coupling mentioned above was the 2nd coupling anyway. i know its not mega rare but................. mind you its only on cat so theres every chance that a box full of any of the releases could turn up

dave

(owner of a common purple mundi 45)

Social source share

no, he was actually selling one

Social source share

thats the same one i have bob but mines in better shape. dont think there`s been many on ebay.only 3 on popsike but theres probably been a couple more on besides

dave

yeah, I previously just saying that the ultra-rare one that jeff lemlich has never seen was on ebay, but apparently I was totally mistaken and wrong and I have never ever seen it which is good because it doesn't make sense for me to have seen a florida record that he hasn't.

Social source share

STRANGE HOW IN DAVE RIMMERS SOULFULKINDAMUSIC CAT DISCOGRAPHY IT STATES THAT THE FIRST TWO ISSUES OF THIS DISC

STOP HURTING ME BABY / I BELIEVE CAT 322 ??????

STOP HURTING ME BABY / I CAN UNDERSTAND IT CAT 323 THO I'M SURE THE PREFIX'S ON THIS RELEASE STATE 322/323 AND THE CATALOGUE NUMBER IS ACTUALLY CAT 1978.

FOR CAT 1978 IT STATES ANOTHER TITLE IN DAVE RIMMERS DISCOGRAPHY :rolleyes:

THE OTHER RELEASE IS

STOP HURTING ME BABY / MAN IN THE SKY CAT 1984., THAT WAS ISSUED SEVERAL MONTHS LATER IN 1972......CONFUSED.

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

STRANGE HOW IN DAVE RIMMERS SOULFULKINDAMUSIC CAT DISCOGRAPHY IT STATES THAT THE FIRST TWO ISSUES OF THIS DISC

STOP HURTING ME BABY / I BELIEVE CAT 322 ??????

STOP HURTING ME BABY / I CAN UNDERSTAND IT CAT 323 THO I'M SURE THE PREFIX'S ON THIS RELEASE STATE 322/323 AND THE CATALOGUE NUMBER IS ACTUALLY CAT 1978.

FOR CAT 1978 IT STATES ANOTHER TITLE IN DAVE RIMMERS DISCOGRAPHY :thumbup:

THE OTHER RELEASE IS

STOP HURTING ME BABY / MAN IN THE SKY CAT 1984., THAT WAS ISSUED SEVERAL MONTHS LATER IN 1972......CONFUSED.

BRI PINCH.

i think it was only issued once in in 1971 and that whoever supplied dave rimmer with his information was probably mistaken or confused. the carlos wright 45 was issued 2 years later and SHMB was just put on the b side maybe to cut costs

dave

Social source share

Thanks Gareth, I always thought the lead vocals sounded different on Man From The Sky, but had assumed the difference was just Carlos Wright.....interesting slice of label history.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!