Al Green: Soul Perfection...what's Your Favourite Track?

Have just been reading SEAN'S predictions for 2010 thread, the subject of AL GREEN came up, with somebody suggesting 'Full of fire' as a possible dancefloor winner. Recently I have just sorted out all my AL GREEN records and when you examine or re-avaluate them collectively, it is a remarkable body of work. But what is your all time favourite track from AL?

Mine is definetly 'One Woman' from the 'Green is blues' album. I believe the album itself represented his first collaboration with WILLIE MITCHELL and the first track, to me is an outstanding piece of Soul. An absolutely beautiful melody, with AL agonising over the two women in his life and the different roles they play. The production quality is sublime and the song stands out still, to me, even in the face of a truly memorable recording career that followed. Soul perfection from a true master of the art. What I have noticed over the years is that there are a number of different versions of this album with differing cover art etc, mine is a white label with big red demo A over the Hi logo, anybody got any info on the subject?thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Really hard to pick one track out of an outstanding career and huge catalogue , but I would probably go for " A Lovers Hideaway " [ Hot Line ] or " How do you mend a broken heart " [ Hi ] .Fantastic idea for a thread ...Best,Eddie

Yeah, 'How can you mend' is number 2 on my list, don't suppose anybody has a copy of the 'One Woman' 45 they want to get rid of whilst we are at it lol!biggrin.gif

Social source share

Really hard to pick one track out of an outstanding career and huge catalogue , but I would probably go for " A Lovers Hideaway " [ Hot Line ] or " How do you mend a broken heart " [ Hi ] .Fantastic idea for a thread ...Best,Eddie

Very topical subject down here in Perth right now as the man is performing here (at the Perth Zoo ??) in 2 weeks time. Tough too pick a fave, "Keep on pushing" does it for dance floor action, but can anybody really get tired of "Let's stay together" for smooch factor ....let's face it the bloke has probably made more soul anthems than anybody !

cheers,

Denny in Oz

ps - is he touring UK at the mo? any reviews ?

Social source share

There are so many gems but I agree "One Woman" is an absolute killer.

Another favourite of mine from the same album (but also on a 45) is "Gotta Find A New World".

Other favourites include "Livin' For You", "Hangin' On", "Look What You Done For Me", "A Lover's Hideaway", "Simply Beautiful", "Belle", "Feels Like Summer", "King Of All"

But "Tired Of Being Alone" still knocks me out after all these years. I was 13 when I first heard it and I really haven't been the same since. It just might be the best soul track of all.

There's only one Al Green.

Social source share

So many shouts I'm halfway tempted to do a release of the Al Green S.S. faves! Anyone up for it? Name checks and fame for life for those involved.....

Ian D :D

Just spent the evening cutting a CD from all my records on one of those magic converter machines, 23 tracks and one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had at home for a long time lol!

Not too many Artists that could provide such sustained pleasure and quality over a whole evening, just listening to their work alone...thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest candj45

been playing YOU OUGHT TO BE WITH ME for about 8 months at different places always gets a great reception its a really good dancer.

also I TRIED TO TELL MYSELF is just brill and DONT LEAVE ME is pure northern at its best.the mans an undoubted legend.

craig

Social source share

Just spent the evening cutting a CD from all my records on one of those magic converter machines, 23 tracks and one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had at home for a long time lol!

Not too many Artists that could provide such sustained pleasure and quality over a whole evening, just listening to their work alone...thumbsup.gif

OK, I'll go one better today then LOL....

I'm now surrounded with every Al Green Hi era release ever recorded (I work for Demon which helps), so I'm gonna burn down everything that's on this thread and do a general trawl anyway 'cos you never know what's buried away or on the original tapes and you just know there'll be a few more socked away somewhere.....

.... talking of which I've just listened to his interpretations of "Ain't Mountain High Enough" and "Up The Ladder To The Roof" which are interesting.........

I'll report back if anything incredible emerges.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Mmmm, a couple which are new to me......

"Nothing Impossible With Love" is a great sing-a-long traditional Northern mid-tempo from "Listen: The Rarities" album....

.....however my favorite today is the FANTASTIC Modern 80's belter "When Love Rules" from the "Higher Plane" album. Sounds like a winner to me.....

Ian D

Social source share

Sad news... producer Willie Mitchell died today:

Just responded to your other post regarding this sad news in 'people with soul'....

Cannot believe this happening the day after this excellent discussion. As I have posted, had such a terrific evening yesterday listening to all those old orginal collaborations and then this. Another great Soul innovator passed on and those records hold even more poignancy now.

Think I'll play that CD I cut yesterday again now.

Thanks for the fantastic memories.

WILLIE MITCHELL RIP.

Social source share

been playing YOU OUGHT TO BE WITH ME for about 8 months at different places always gets a great reception its a really good dancer.

also I TRIED TO TELL MYSELF is just brill and DONT LEAVE ME is pure northern at its best.the mans an undoubted legend.

craig

Yeah, three great records there, 'You ought to be with me, until I die!'....Awesome track, heart rending GREEN/MITCHELL at their very best.

'Tried to tell myself' terrific 70s Dancer, a great record from the cheapo section!

'Don't leave me'. Cool, killer Northern perfection, nice choices!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest dicklincoln72

Al did some great covers "For The Good Times", "Funny How Time Slips Away" and "Nothing Takes The Place Of You" but my all time favourite has to be "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry".

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Have just been reading SEAN'S predictions for 2010 thread, the subject of AL GREEN came up, with somebody suggesting 'Full of fire' as a possible dancefloor winner. Recently I have just sorted out all my AL GREEN records and when you examine or re-avaluate them collectively, it is a remarkable body of work. But what is your all time favourite track from AL?

Mine is definetly 'One Woman' from the 'Green is blues' album. I believe the album itself represented his first collaboration with WILLIE MITCHELL and the first track, to me is an outstanding piece of Soul. An absolutely beautiful melody, with AL agonising over the two women in his life and the different roles they play. The production quality is sublime and the song stands out still, to me, even in the face of a truly memorable recording career that followed. Soul perfection from a true master of the art. What I have noticed over the years is that there are a number of different versions of this album with differing cover art etc, mine is a white label with big red demo A over the Hi logo, anybody got any info on the subject?thumbsup.gif

Social source share

OR sang "Love Man" but Al Green was it :D

The sale of roses in Uk escalted during his tour of 72/3 whistling.gif

Brilliant performer with such a fantastic and consistent back catalogue, thank God I heard Back Up Train back in 68ish

My wife's fave all time singer good.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!