Belverdere Hotel, Bournemouth

Guest Dave Mortimore

Guest Dave Mortimore

. We turned up on Saturday night with expectations under the sound knowledge of the good track record of guest D.J. Roy St. Clair at local venues.

. We had missed appearances by Mike Williams at Bournemouth Pier last year and therefore we were witnessing him for the first time, and what a pleasant surprise that turned out to be. As we entered, the dancefloor was very busy due to a buzz created by the music being played. An hour or so later, as Mike was finishing, I reckoned he had delivered probably the most well balanced and entertaining set I had heard since the last, very late set Simon Preston had played at The Railway Club in early December.

. Roy followed, avoiding much of the RnB Soul that he's noted for, by mainly playing a range of Northern Soul. Two on the trot that did it for me were Donna Coleman - Your loves too strong and Trick Bag.

. Steve Lyons completed the night with soul that filled the floor and the surrounding carpet. Stuff like Bobby Hebb - Love Love Love and Dena Barnes - If you ever walked out of my life have never been favourites of mine and yet everybody wholeheartedly embraced them. One of Steve's plays that I missed at Bishopstoke last summer, because I was wrapped up in a conversation in the kitchen, was Gwen Owens - Wanted & Needed. Thankfully, he played it again and for me, was the best bit of nostalgia from an entertaining start to The New Year, enjoyed with many friends.

. Dave (& Jan) Mortimore

Edited by Dave Mortimore
  • Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

im glad you had a good time and its always nice to see a review from someone not involved with the night...roy has some top class tunes and its always a pleasure to see him out and about

. We turned up on Saturday night with expectations under the sound knowledge of the good track record of guest D.J. Roy St. Clair at local venues.

. We had missed appearances by Mike Williams at Bournemouth Pier last year and therefore we were witnessing him for the first time, and what a pleasant surprise that turned out to be. As we entered, the dancefloor was very busy due to a buzz created by the music being played. An hour or so later, as Mike was finishing, I reckoned he had delivered probably the most well balanced and entertaining set I had heard since the last, very late set Simon Preston had played at The Railway Club in early December.

. Roy followed, avoiding much of the RnB Soul that he's noted for, by mainly playing a range of Northern Soul. Two on the trot that did it for me were Donna Coleman - Your loves too strong and Trick Bag.

. Steve Lyons completed the night with soul that filled the floor and the surrounding carpet. Stuff like Bobby Hebb - Love Love Love and Dena Barnes - If you ever walked out of my life have never been favourites of mine and yet everybody wholeheartedly embraced them. One of Steve's plays that I missed at Bishopstoke last summer, because I was wrapped up in a conversation in the kitchen, was Gwen Owens - Wanted & Needed. Thankfully, he played it again and for me, was the best bit of nostalgia from an entertaining start to The New Year, enjoyed with many friends.

. Dave (& Jan) Mortimore

Good to eventually see a play list of sorts from this venue......Glad it was a good night.

Happy New year

Russ

Guest Dave Mortimore

Good to eventually see a play list of sorts from this venue......Glad it was a good night.

Happy New year

Russ

. You know Russ there's been many a time when I've enjoyed a night at a local venue, but a playlist wouldn't have brought up anything to raise the eyebrows and therefore wouldn't have been appreciated. However, Mike Williams played such an intriguing set that I would like to see his playlist just to remember what it is that I liked so much about it. Even though most of it I had probably heard before, it wasn't your everyday fodder that we've experienced locally.

. When it comes to soul, it's Bournemouth Railway Club that usually dishes out the surprises and hence, generally this venue's off the beaten track music would provide the most interesting playlists (if we're ever that lucky) for the likes of yourself.

Guest ive the hat

. Dave (& Jan) Mortimore

Guest ive the hat

ive the hat - i also attended the belver do- i ad a wkd nite from start -2- finsh- gtr 2 c my soulie m8s again- a top noite thx 2 charmaine/steve+ d js - ktf ivesx

Guest Chris B

Hi All

Just like to say what a good night it was at The Belverdere.

Not only was there good music there is a nice friendly local crowd.

Thanks go to Steve, Charmaine and the other DJ's for putting on a good mix of classic and stuff that I had not heard of before, which had quite different rythmes.

It is good to hear some new stuff as chance to try different dance moves.

All the best to Dave, Jan, Ive, Ross, Joe, Alan, Gloria, Denise, Shirley, and all my other friends.

Regards

Chris B

. You know Russ there's been many a time when I've enjoyed a night at a local venue, but a playlist wouldn't have brought up anything to raise the eyebrows and therefore wouldn't have been appreciated. However, Mike Williams played such an intriguing set that I would like to see his playlist just to remember what it is that I liked so much about it. Even though most of it I had probably heard before, it wasn't your everyday fodder that we've experienced locally.

. When it comes to soul, it's Bournemouth Railway Club that usually dishes out the surprises and hence, generally this venue's off the beaten track music would provide the most interesting playlists (if we're ever that lucky) for the likes of yourself.

I agree, I just think that playlists give particularly travellers some idea of what to expect & therefore if the playlist is to the persons liking will make them more likely to attend the venue, however I spose at the end of the day, that depends on whether the promoters are interested in attracting people from outside the immediate area or not.

I spose if the playlist doesnt change much from the run of the mill there isnt as you say, much point.

Happy New Year

Russ

. Dave (& Jan) Mortimore

Thanks to guest DJ's, attendees and all the comments. The Belvedere Hotel Manager was very pleased with the evening which lead to a welcomed extension to our normal 1.00 a.m. finish.

We are looking forward to Saturday 6 February when the Guest djing duties will belong to Dave Bentley and Rich Chorley.

I agree, I just think that playlists give particularly travellers some idea of what to expect & therefore if the playlist is to the persons liking will make them more likely to attend the venue, however I spose at the end of the day, that depends on whether the promoters are interested in attracting people from outside the immediate area or not.

I spose if the playlist doesnt change much from the run of the mill there isnt as you say, much point.

Happy New Year

Russ

GREAT POST RUSS

ID BE MORE LIKELY TO THINK ABOUT GOING IF I SAW PLAYLISTS OR EVEN A FEW PICS FROM THE EVENT

ID LIKE TO SEE WHAT THE INSIDE OF THE VENUE LOOKS LIKE BEFORE DRIVING ALL THAT WAY

MOLDIE