Uk Soul Question

boba

I noticed that on the Realistics (UK) group records (the group on UK warner brothers and epic) the writing credits have the name Amoo on them. Is the UK realistics related (or possibly the same group) as the Real Thing? Also, my friend was looking for a copy of this record: Realistics - Unchain Me - Epic (UK) -- does anyone have a copy to sell or even post to refosoul? I haven't heard it and I don't think he has either. Thanks.

Edited by boba
Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I noticed that on the Realistics (UK) group records (the group on UK warner brothers and epic) the writing credits have the name Amoo on them. Is the UK realistics related (or possibly the same group) as the Real Thing? Also, my friend was looking for a copy of this record: Realistics - Unchain Me - Epic (UK) -- does anyone have a copy to sell or even post to refosoul? I haven't heard it and I don't think he has either. Thanks.

Must be some connection. Didn't Eddie Amoo continue with the Chants before finally joining the Real Thing and his brother Chris? . 'I've Been Trying' on Chipping Norton came out whilst the Real Thing were on the go. Maybe it is a spin off from either group?

Mike

Social source share

I think it is doubtful they were the same group as the Real Thing were having great success at this time in the UK and Europe.

thanks, I don't understand the timeline of some of the UK stuff very well, I thought some of the realistics stuff may have been earlier and that there might have been a connection due to the similar names, I figured people here would know since it was maybe higher profile in your country. Do those realistics singles ever pop up over there? what about that one my friend was asking about?

Social source share

Got to be a connection somewhere Ken Gold was cowriter of You to me are everything.

the amoos are the writer of either the WB record I have or the one Epic record I have. Thanks so much for the clip, I will listen when I get home from work, I really really appreciate it. I haven't heard it yet but I'm interested in buying a copy if anyone has one to sell. My other epic record is only mono/stereo if anyone has a stock copy with both sides.

Social source share

delegation, circa 1976/77 were also of similar ilk to the real thing/ realistics at that time. ken gold micky deane productions. both delegation and realistics recorded someone oughta write a song (uk state /uk epic.) they must have had the same manager as well.

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Must be some connection. Didn't Eddie Amoo continue with the Chants before finally joining the Real Thing and his brother Chris? . 'I've Been Trying' on Chipping Norton came out whilst the Real Thing were on the go. Maybe it is a spin off from either group?

Mike

And weren't they both in the famous Liverpool group, the Shufflers Sound?

They used to always end their act with Don & Juan's "What's Your Name"

Great group with appreciative fans.

Social source share

• 5 months later...

delegation, circa 1976/77 were also of similar ilk to the real thing/ realistics at that time. ken gold micky deane productions. both delegation and realistics recorded someone oughta write a song (uk state /uk epic.) they must have had the same manager as well.

dave

is this the Epic (UK) group:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=119056244798350

if so, crazy that one of the chilites was in the group. can anyone confirm that this is the realistics that recorded on UK labels? the years make sense and it's not the brunswick group.

Social source share

is this the Epic (UK) group:

https://www.facebook....119056244798350

if so, crazy that one of the chilites was in the group. can anyone confirm that this is the realistics that recorded on UK labels? the years make sense and it's not the brunswick group.

Bob, no doubt you are aware of The Realistics - How Can I Forget - Brunswick Records - 1973 ? That (US) outfit were from Chicago weren't they ?

Social source share

Bob, no doubt you are aware of The Realistics - How Can I Forget - Brunswick Records - 1973 ? That (US) outfit were from Chicago weren't they ?

It's not the brunswick group, I interviewed them, none of those are the members and this group was formed in 1974 or 1975 according to the video. The brunswick group was from Gary, IN. Thanks for the suggestion though. Does anyone else know if this is the group that recorded on epic and wb UK? Thanks in advance.

Social source share

The Realistics on Warner Bros weren't a group at all - It was John Miles doing the vocals

there was another thread about them a while back

thanks, I just found your comment in the previous thread here:

are you saying one person did all the vocals with overdubs or just that John Miles was the lead singer? Is John Miles this person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Miles_(musician)? I'm not in the UK so I'm not familiar with him. Thanks.

Social source share

thanks, I just found your comment in the previous thread here:

are you saying one person did all the vocals with overdubs or just that John Miles was the lead singer? Is John Miles this person: https://en.wikipedia....iles_(musician)? I'm not in the UK so I'm not familiar with him. Thanks.

I don't know whether all the vocals are him - it sounds like a group of singers rather than just him multi tracked - i just remember reading it was him doing the lead -

It is an "orange" production which was the label he was on as a solo artist

Yes it is the same John Miles mentioned in the WIKI link - he released a couple of 'soul' singles before he started doing rock stuff - check out on you tube "one minute every hour' and "yesterday"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5mPovfYgV0

Edited by Ringleader
Social source share

bob , john miles had a us top 40 hit with slow down in 1977.are we really saying that he did the vocals on putting it down to the way i feel. i played it over and over and it didnt sound like him to me also by 1975 he was signed to decca. anything is possible tho, the realistics `the magic that you do ` also came out in canada on columbia. i think maybe they are the same guys on the facebook link

dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!