Tracks That Just Make People Smile

There are some tracks that we all take for granted so are never played out. In most cases their worth is very little maybe a few £'s.

A few months ago I was in Bamberg with Malayka and we went into the record shop, the guy always has a bunch of nice 70's picture bag 45's, sorting through I pull out a few that I think 'thats nice in a picture bag'. Once back home all get the standard one spin on the decks before being file away on a shelf hardly ever to surface again. But one brought back memories of the mid 70's, good happy soul and made me smile. So instead of filing it, it stayed by the decks and has been played nearly everyday since and every time it makes me smile.

Now when ever I get to play at an event I really love doing I try and find and cheap as chips, nice soul record, that may catch everyone a bit by suprise, last year in Bamberg it was Earth Wind & Fire-Get away, the room just loved it. A room full of smiling faces, some dancing, some singing along. So for this years trip to Hip City in Berlin I thought I'll take along my new find.

When I played it and the whole room smiled as one, some danced, some sang, some did both, there was a collective moment, when almost the whole room went back to a time when they first heard it or a time when it was being played and we all smiled. So common a record that it gets over looked, shame on us all it's not even in the Refo section, well it is now, just stuck it in there.

So, question, what is the track that just makes you smile, cheap as chips, good happy soul music.

or

have you recently heard a record that had the same effect on the room you where in

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

• Replies 170
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest SteveJohnston

Dave this has made my day mate :thumbup: we need more tracks playing that made all the soul boy & Girls smile back in the day.

Allways brings a smile to my face and is going to get played on the 16th at the Stute.

Enchantment-Sunny Shine Feeling

One that was played on Radio2 a few weeks back and put a big smile on not only my face in the office, must had a smile.

archie bell & the drells the soul city walk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5RAxjwoKgo

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

As a 15 year old Londoner 1year away from discovering the magical scene that was going on up t'north

This was the tune that had us tearing up the youth club and school disco floors.

Tom The Peeper - Act 1 - Spring

Still makes me smile & sing along.

Thought it was longer though ?

Social source share

Guest Tarnlad

Dave this has made my day mate thumbsup.gif we need more tracks playing that made all the soul boy & Girls smile back in the day.

Allways brings a smile to my face and is going to get played on the 16th at the Stute.

Enchantment-Sunny Shine Feeling

One that was played on Radio2 a few weeks back and put a big smile on not only my face in the office, must had a smile.

archie bell & the drells the soul city walk

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=I5RAxjwoKgo

Steve J

thumbup.gif Remember hammering this record at the local youth club back in 76, top tunewhistling.gif not heard so mutch these days

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

So, question, what is the track that just makes you smile, cheap as chips, good happy soul music.

or

have you recently heard a record that had the same effect on the room you where in

Social source share

or

Don't suppose it's cheap, but The Memphians but a big smile on my face when Jerry recently played it on GFM.

Time for a revival, before Mr Hipkiss beats you to it?

Social source share

Some great records on here, but trying to stay in exactly the spirit and genre that DAVE describes in his opening....Still think CANDI STATON 'Young Hearts' is the ultimate All-time feelgood, take you back-to-70s-youthful days anthem....thumbsup.gif

Social source share

As a 15 year old Londoner 1year away from discovering the magical scene that was going on up t'north

This was the tune that had us tearing up the youth club and school disco floors.

Tom The Peeper - Act 1 - Spring

Still makes me smile & sing along.

Thought it was longer though ?

The track that does it for me,

bought it the week it was released in 1967 and what a tune.

jay and the techniques----apple, peaches,pumkin pie. 2mins 41 sec's of pure magic

played it at the last oxford soul night,and will probably play it at the next.Feel good factor allover.

maz

oxford soul club

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I know what you mean, some songs just make you so light on your toes while dancing.

One for me is George Byrd - I'm Available

GEORGE DUKE BYRD - IM AVAILIBLE -

Social source share

Some great records on here, but trying to stay in exactly the spirit and genre that DAVE describes in his opening....Still think CANDI STATON 'Young Hearts' is the ultimate All-time feelgood, take you back-to-70s-youthful days anthem....thumbsup.gif

:thumbup: That's my ringtone on my mobile & if it rings at work the whole office start singing ..... and ask me to leave it ringing :laugh:

Social source share

First Choise - Armed and extremely dangerous

Calling all cars... calling all cars

Be on the lookout for Dangerous Dan...

This man is wanted by the F.B.I. - 10-4

Doctors Orders - Sunny (Van McCoy classic)

R & J Stone - We do it

Eddie Hollman - This could be a night to remember

Social source share

First Choise - Armed and extremely dangerous

Calling all cars... calling all cars

Be on the lookout for Dangerous Dan...

This man is wanted by the F.B.I. - 10-4

Doctors Orders - Sunny (Van McCoy classic)

R & J Stone - We do it

Eddie Hollman - This could be a night to remember

First Choise "Smarty Pants" as well

and the other version of "Doctor's Orders" female can't recall name at the moment she also did "A Hurricane is coming Tonight"

Social source share

First Choise "Smarty Pants" as well

and the other version of "Doctor's Orders" female can't recall name at the moment she also did "A Hurricane is coming Tonight"

Also feelgood pop/soul Mac & Katie Kissoon "Love will Keep us Together"

Billy Paul "Thanks for Saving My Life" and "Your Song" or is it my song? anyway the other side of "Me & Mrs Jones"

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Three all time favourites. If anyone has the bottle to play these at a soul night i'd be on the floor in a shot! :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=9GXhLfvAky0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAP9F-_twyE

When this kicks off 55 seconds in i'm in heaven. Listen to that guitar!!

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=iknEJf9cPeY

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

:thumbup: That's my ringtone on my mobile & if it rings at work the whole office start singing ..... and ask me to leave it ringing :laugh:

Well there you go...like I said before, you've got the best avatar on here and now the best 'feelgood' Soul choon on your mobile as well!

You are definetly a winner girl!! :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!