Tracks That Just Make People Smile

• Replies 170
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

OK. It's just gone 1am and I'm full of red wine and I know that I am going to regret this but here goes:

Whilst I would never attempt to take on more knowledgeable folk than I, and I certainly wouldn't wish to piss on such a positive thread, and I am willing to listen with 'open ears' but, am I missing something here?

Most of what has been posted on this thread (and all are great feel good, make you smile records) would have been scoffed at by this scene 30 odd yrs ago as mainstream, chart, pop/disco records, would they not? :unsure:

Oh bollocks to it, Hawaii 5-0 makes me grin from cheek to cheek!!!! :rolleyes:

My nomination is:

Back Street..Edwin Starr.

:thumbup:

KTF.

Drew.

Edited by Drew3
Social source share

OK. It's just gone 1am and I'm full of red wine and I know that I am going to regret this but here goes:

Whilst I would never attempt to take on more knowledgeable folk than I, and I certainly wouldn't wish to piss on such a positive thread, and I am willing to listen with 'open ears' but, am I missing something here?

Most of what has been posted on this thread (and all are great feel good, make you smile records) would have been scoffed at by this scene 30 odd yrs ago as mainstream, chart, pop/disco records, would they not? :unsure:

No, the records posted on here are in the main great Soul records that were hits or near hits, some like THE FORMATIONS and JIMMY JAMES crossed over onto the Northern scene and stuff like THE TRAMMPS, BLACKBYRDS, INTRUDERS, CANDI STATON, HAROLD MELVIN, EVLYN CHAMPAGNE KING and others are absolute classic Soul records in their own right. Just a bloody shame you can't go into commercial clubs or fairgrounds today and hear such blinding records blasting out of the speakers! Most of the people I know who were into Northern love all that stuff too, it was the other side of the soundtrack to our youth. (Like I said, I remember DAVE playing 'Shame' at Yate) There might have been some people with their ears up their arse but most real Soul fans loved all this stuff - which is why this thread has been so popular...:wink:

Social source share

As cheep as chips! I know it was from a bit later in most soul lives but this track above any gets me on the dance floor with a big smile on my face Manchester Ritz i close my eyes when this is playing and i'm back there on a Sunday afternoon! bloody fantastic thumbup.gif

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=p-uxEWGHvGk

Steve J

great shout Steve, mine would be Spinners - could it be i'm falling in love and Emotions - Flowers

Social source share

No, the records posted on here are in the main great Soul records that were hits or near hits, some like THE FORMATIONS and JIMMY JAMES crossed over onto the Northern scene and stuff like THE TRAMMPS, BLACKBYRDS, INTRUDERS, CANDI STATON, HAROLD MELVIN, EVLYN CHAMPAGNE KING and others are absolute classic Soul records in their own right. Just a bloody shame you can't go into commercial clubs or fairgrounds today and hear such blinding records blasting out of the speakers! Most of the people I know who were into Northern love all that stuff too, it was the other side of the soundtrack to our youth. (Like I said, I remember DAVE playing 'Shame' at Yate) There might have been some people with their ears up their arse but most real Soul fans loved all this stuff - which is why this thread has been so popular...:wink:

Fair enough. thumbsup.gif

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

smile

This certainly makes me smile : I loved it the first time of hearing it in 1962 , and still do .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

How good was that?? :shades:

Wasn't she the same Linda who was with The Funky Boys and appeared at Wigan in Jan 77 with their big hit 'Climbing The Steps Of Love' or is this an urban myth!?

...Anyway l've just googled Linda & FB....AND THAT REALLY MADE ME SMILE!!

Spot on mate , but there were two Linda's .

The Original Linda was ......

Linda Carr teamed with producer Kenny Nolan to record her debut album , 1975's " Cherry Pie Guy " . She and her group - now called Linda Carr & the Love Squad - and her first real success was the Kenny Nolan penned " Highwire , which peaked at number #15 in the UK charts . other singles were taken from the album , " Cherry Pie Guy " , " Dial L for the Love Squad " and " Mama's Little Corner of the World " . All these failed to make an impact . She managed to make a comeback the following year , with another single ( again written by KN ), which was " Sold My Rock ‘n' Roll ( Gave It for Funky Soul )" , released under the name Linda & the Funky Boys .

The Linda who appeared at WC was Linda Fields , who replaced LC fronting TFB .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

The track that does it for me,

bought it the week it was released in 1967 and what a tune.

jay and the techniques----apple, peaches,pumkin pie. 2mins 41 sec's of pure magic

played it at the last oxford soul night,and will probably play it at the next.Feel good factor allover.

maz

oxford soul club

always loved it and the b side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ZXi5jNbSc

kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!