Paypal Gift

Shsdave

Apologies if this has been dealt with before but can anyone enlighten me what the score is with this? With more & more people asking for paypal payments to be sent as a gift I assumed that this was a way of getting around the fee but this doesn't appear to be the caseg.gif Help !!!!

Thanksthumbsup.gif

dave

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've found that some people were able to send as a gift and some weren't and I think this all depends on whether you have funds in your account; if you pay from funds, you can send as a gift, but if you want to pay on a card via paypal, you get charged even if you send as a gift (you can choose if it's you or the payee who gets the charges)

Social source share

I've found that some people were able to send as a gift and some weren't and I think this all depends on whether you have funds in your account; if you pay from funds, you can send as a gift, but if you want to pay on a card via paypal, you get charged even if you send as a gift (you can choose if it's you or the payee who gets the charges)

Cheers Pete, that sort of explains it (don't understand why but at least I know it wasn't me making my usual cock upsohmy.gif ) . i tried to pay through a card & got a message as you say, allowing me to choose who pays the fee whistling.gif

Social source share

I have my bank account confirmed with Paypal. When paying as 'gift' I'm always given the option to take the minimal charge or pass it on. The point is though that it is a minimal charge - just a few pennies and completely negligible in comparison to the amount it costs via their standard payment means.

My big gripe though is that I live in the Netherlands now rather than UK, and thus deal in uros: I always get stuffed by Paypal's terrible exchange rates when buying items priced in £ or $!

Social source share

can u not make pound sterling your choice of payment tho.im sure it gives you the option ....... just a thought. since i discoverered the gift option ive sent a lot of paypal payments and never encounted a problem. might be something to do with having funds in paypal account and being linked to a verified bank account. not 100% certain tho. ive got to make a payment tonight in usa dollars........lets see if i come a cropper

dave

Social source share

I have my bank account confirmed with Paypal. When paying as 'gift' I'm always given the option to take the minimal charge or pass it on. The point is though that it is a minimal charge - just a few pennies and completely negligible in comparison to the amount it costs via their standard payment means.

My big gripe though is that I live in the Netherlands now rather than UK, and thus deal in uros: I always get stuffed by Paypal's terrible exchange rates when buying items priced in £ or $!

Don't know about a minimal charge, I sent £220 as a gift the other day and got charged £8

Social source share

...can u not make pound sterling your choice of payment tho. im sure it gives you the option...

Yes, the problem is that my account is with a Dutch bank and I get paid in €uros. Funds are taken straight out of my bank account. If the Paypal account was set to £ they'd be converting the money from €uro's and making a handsome profit through exchange rates every time a transaction was processed.

Don't know about a minimal charge, I sent £220 as a gift the other day and got charged £8

On the last item I bought from you Pete, the Gift fee was 71p, so no idea why you got charged that much at all!

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

If sending money from the US to the US there is no fee if your funded from your PAYPAL balance or bank account.

Sending money from the US to overseas there is a 1% exchange rate fee.

But, if your funded thru a credit card it's the normal 2.9% within the US or the 3.9% overseas. (3.9% includes the 1% exchange rate fee)

Social source share

can u not make pound sterling your choice of payment tho.im sure it gives you the option ....... just a thought. since i discoverered the gift option ive sent a lot of paypal payments and never encounted a problem. might be something to do with having funds in paypal account and being linked to a verified bank account. not 100% certain tho. ive got to make a payment tonight in usa dollars........lets see if i come a cropper

dave

i did come a cropper. sent funds to craig moerer last night for a 45 i bought off gemm. i had to pay a small fee of 20 odd cents for a £20 record. it was one i was after tho not in any of the books and not on ebay so i`m not too fussed.

dave

Social source share

If sending money from the US to the US there is no fee if your funded from your PAYPAL balance or bank account.

Sending money from the US to overseas there is a 1% exchange rate fee.

But, if your funded thru a credit card it's the normal 2.9% within the US or the 3.9% overseas. (3.9% includes the 1% exchange rate fee)

:hatsoff2:Thanks for the info...very good to know!!:shades:

Social source share

Sorry some one help me out here, I'm trying to send £300 to a UK account, sent as a gift the charge is £10.40, sent as payment owed it's £10.40, my balance is £185 and I have two bank accounts linked to paypal both with money in them. Why can't I send as a gift?

Social source share

Here's a link to the 'fee's' section of the Paypal user agreement: https://tiny.cc/EWa2V

It states that:

Transaction typeActivityFee for payment fully funded by:

- PayPal Balance/Bank Domestic personal transaction: Sending or Receiving - Free (when no currency conversion is involved)

Fee for payment fully or partially funded by - Debit card and/or Credit Card 3.4% + Fixed Fee

Either the sender or the recipient pays the fee. Not both.

In most cases, the sender decides who pays the fee. In some cases the sender will not be able to decide and the sender or the recipient will be required to pay the fee.

Is your Paypal account linked not by your bank account directly, but though your debit or credit card instead? If so, that might be the problem here. Don't know if that helps...

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

Here's a link to the 'fee's' section of the Paypal user agreement: https://tiny.cc/EWa2V

It states that:

Transaction typeActivityFee for payment fully funded by:

- PayPal Balance/Bank Domestic personal transaction: Sending or Receiving - Free (when no currency conversion is involved)

Fee for payment fully or partially funded by - Debit card and/or Credit Card 3.4% + Fixed Fee

Either the sender or the recipient pays the fee. Not both.

In most cases, the sender decides who pays the fee. In some cases the sender will not be able to decide and the sender or the recipient will be required to pay the fee.

Is your Paypal account linked not by your bank account directly, but though your debit or credit card instead? If so, that might be the problem here. Don't know if that helps...

F*ck knows, where do I check? If I have no money in there (paypal) it comes straight off my bank debit card.

Social source share

Log into your Paypal account & click on the tab that says 'My Account (it;s the first one on the left).

Look to the right of that navigation bar, to the bit that says 'Profile'. here there is a drop-down menu that gives you the option to:

* Add or remove Bank Account,

* Add or remove Debit or Credit Card.

You should click on both to confirm how your account is set up. If you're paying via your debit card then this is the problem. You will then need to add a bank account instead and delete the debit card settings.

Hope that helps!

Social source share

Log into your Paypal account & click on the tab that says 'My Account (it;s the first one on the left).

Look to the right of that navigation bar, to the bit that says 'Profile'. here there is a drop-down menu that gives you the option to:

* Add or remove Bank Account,

* Add or remove Debit or Credit Card.

You should click on both to confirm how your account is set up. If you're paying via your debit card then this is the problem. You will then need to add a bank account instead and delete the debit card settings.

Hope that helps!

It does, thank you, but all the while thats happening I won't be able to use paypal so I bit the bullet and paid the ten quid!

Social source share

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

does sending money as a GIFT mean you cannot open a dispute for an item that does not exist.Dealing with people you dont know sending them a GIFT of money could it finish up as just that.

Social source share

does sending money as a GIFT mean you cannot open a dispute for an item that does not exist.Dealing with people you dont know sending them a GIFT of money could it finish up as just that.

i believe this is correct, only send as a gift to trusted sellers, otherwise the item may not ever arrive to your door and you cant dispute it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!